The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 November 2021, 11:17 PM   #1
vh2k
"TRF" Member

DEBUNKED - Watchbox Says ROLEX ADs “Backdooring to Greys” is a Myth

Relevant comments at 10:50

Do you agree or disagree with Tim? Discuss.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:24 PM   #2
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Watchbox should address the fact how they are changing the De Bethune market and increasing the prices for their own gain/profits.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:31 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
In the real world would agree anyone who thinks that any Rolex AD would risk his business and livelihood on selling watches direct to grey though back door must be sixpence short of a shilling. But in general I use my own 79 year old brain to figure that one out, and not like many of todays younger age whose sole info cupboard is in so called social media,Youtube etc, and believe everything they read or see on the likes .And many today have mostly the attention span of a fly on the wall, as so called social media have taken over there lives and use of there own little used grey matter brain power.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:35 PM   #4
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In the real world would agree anyone who thinks that any Rolex AD would risk his business and livelihood on selling watches direct to grey though back door must be sixpence short of a shilling. But in general I use my own 79 year old brain to figure that one out, and not like many of todays younger age whose sole info cupboard is in so called social media,Youtube etc, and believe everything they read or see on the likes .And many today have mostly the attention span of a fly on the wall, as so called social media have taken over there lives and use of there own little used grey matter brain power.
Peter, this one is a direct insult and not called for!

I prefer getting my information DIRECTLY from the SA's and the GREY Dealers.....

But since the OP's link is on the internet, it must be true.....
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:49 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Seems that in todays world, deny everything is the first response
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:55 PM   #6
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
True, So true
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:57 PM   #7
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Yeah because I trust Govberg while they have 1 hand in the secondary market jar and the other in the AD jar.

Great air talent and very knowledgeable about watches although.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:34 AM   #8
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the way it's done, when it's done, is a little more subtle and there have been at least a few ADs caught up in this.

A Sales Advisor has some discretion about who they sell to. If they partner with friends or relatives who in turn resell to grey dealers they can earn a nice finders fee. Does this involve or benefit the Sales Manager or even owner...maybe in some cases. But to think it doesn't go on seems a stretch. There is too much money on the table to assume nobody ever falls to the temptation.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:43 AM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The YouTwitFace universe is the most unreliable source of information you can tap into. Nothing against Tim, I think he's one of the more professional YouTwitFacers, but these social media channels need clicks, shares, likes and chatter to run. Any chatter will do.

Like the established greys (not the fly by night opportunists), ADs are in the watch retail trade. They know who is who and what is going on. Make friends with an AD and you'll get very limited amounts of info of a much higher quality.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:52 AM   #10
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Watchbox should address the fact how they are changing the De Bethune market and increasing the prices for their own gain/profits.
Are company owners not allowed to raise prices to increase profits? :-)

To OP, I think they are just stating what everyone else knows as true in 2021, AD’s no longer need gray to move inventory, at least in the current market.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:53 AM   #11
MiDoon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yet here we all are sharing our own opinions on the internet.
MiDoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:58 AM   #12
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Haha, exactly
Old 10 November 2021, 01:09 AM   #13
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

When the sample size is low, it’s hard to extrapolate. Sure WB is a big outfit but they aren’t the authority.

Maybe they forgot to ask the AD near me that had to fire SAs for selling out the back door. Or maybe they had their WhatsApp chat set to mute and missed the messages circulating around.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 01:16 AM   #14
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Because one youtuber says something doesn’t make it true
Old 10 November 2021, 01:19 AM   #15
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I mean what else would they say…

Are we all expecting an admission of guilt?
Old 10 November 2021, 01:19 AM   #16
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Because one youtuber says something doesn’t make it true
The OP is known for posting links that are somewhat suspicious…..
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 01:27 AM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 01:30 AM   #18
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDoon View Post
Yet here we all are sharing our own opinions on the internet.
Or, in some cases, continually cuttiing and pasting the same opinions.

"Cupboard" or clipboard?
Old 10 November 2021, 01:35 AM   #19
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Legit question: if they are not selling to greys, then how do you explain the fact that many of these watches for sale at greys are completely covered in the original stickers and bezel protectors? I believe that most ADs are honest and are not doing this, but come on. There clearly must be some that are. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing so many pieces on the market BNIB with full stickers.

How do you also explain the recent Patek auction for a fully stickered piece? I am sure that original AD was pissing himself and sweating bullets when that watch went up for auction. Oops!
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 01:35 AM   #20
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
Or, in some cases, continually cuttiing and pasting the same opinions.

"Cupboard" or clipboard?
Aren’t you a grey dealer whom ADs sell to?
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 01:36 AM   #21
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Nothing like a post on the internet about a video on the internet that is about a rumor on the internet
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 01:50 AM   #22
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Aren’t you a grey dealer whom ADs sell to?
I am a VIP at numerous ADs. As a result, I resell a number of the watches I acquire after evaluation periods of varying lengths.

Hmmm.
Old 10 November 2021, 01:50 AM   #23
fania123
"TRF" Member

Riddle me this then how is it that some Grey dealers, not naming any names, are able to get new steel watches with blank warranty cards and then fill out the name of their buyer?
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:08 AM   #24
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I don't know who Tim is and I don't believe anything I see on YouTube except for those dashcam crash videos which make me sweat about ever going to Russia, because apparently no one there can drive. Which is why they all have dashcams.

But I digress.

I think many of our younger brethren here do not know how it was in the "old days" before "the shortage". One could contact a well-known grey market proprietor and get a watch, a new watch, in days, at a discount.

I'll use DSW as an example, although I by no means wish to cast aspersions upon him, as he's a stand-up guy

I figure that D has one or more contacts at various ADs in the large metropolitan area in which he lives, and between those stores he can usually find whatever it is someone wants. As a long-time good customer, they don't care that he resells them, they just know that for a fair discount, they can quickly and easily move items for quick payment, no credit card fees, likely as a wholesale marketer also no sales tax to mess with. They also know that he'll take any of their "trade-ins" off of their hands. That happens more often than you guys may think it does.

Now, things have changed and they no longer need to discount anything. But he is still a good customer, and relationships are worth a lot, especially when the market recovers and things go back to normal. And so they don't care if they sell a watch to me at MSRP or to him, except that I'm just a tourist going through, never to return, and he'll generate literally millions of dollars of sales this year. So he can still get his supplies.

Plus, now that he has quite a reputation, folks like us know that if we get (for instance) a Batperson watch from our AD, we can flip it to him for a quick $8K profit, he'll have a FedEx label in our hands before lunch and a wire deposit before EOB tomorrow. How many among us are not tempted by that kind of money, for a few hours of work?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:12 AM   #25
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Ok. LOL
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:37 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
So if the gray market isn’t getting them AD’s they are getting them all from private collectors like you and I?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:46 AM   #27
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Yeah because I trust Govberg while they have 1 hand in the secondary market jar and the other in the AD jar.

Great air talent and very knowledgeable about watches although.
Whether you agree or not with this statement you can’t deny the appearance or potential for the conflict of interest in this connection.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:47 AM   #28
peterp
"TRF" Member

It is too lucrative to be true. For less profit people make suspicious businesses and if they can earn thousends dollars on each piece (!) in short time without any crime (at worst loosing Rolex license) can be difficult to resist.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:52 AM   #29
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Watchbox, owned / Co-founded by Govberg (a Rolex AD) says “ADs ain’t backdooring”. Ok. It’s just pure coincidence that grey dealers are stocked full with brand new (sometimes stickered) pieces.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:56 AM   #30
ben.wins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
I'm just going to leave this here

https://atelierdegriff.com/2021/02/1...o-grey-market/
ben.wins is offline   Reply With Quote