The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 August 2022, 07:15 AM   #1
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
16753 bracelet 14k ?

I'm looking at a 16753 from 1980, the bracelet seems unusual to me.
It's an original Rolex and according to the seller "made for the American Market in this time period. There were no numbers on these bracelets."
Is this correct?

MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 07:33 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
It should have the USA markings on a clasp blade and read 14k trim.

There are no model numbers on the clasp on bracelet. Additionally there are no end link numbers.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 07:47 AM   #3
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
It should have the USA markings on a clasp blade and read 14k trim.

There are no model numbers on the clasp on bracelet. Additionally there are no end link numbers.

Thanks, I never would have guessed Rolex made bracelets like that.
Old 9 August 2022, 07:51 AM   #4
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Looks very similar to mine from my 1675/3 3.2 million serial number but that one seems to be in better condition! No numbers just as Springer has indicated except inside teh clasp with Rolex, the crown, and 14K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4136_s.jpg (186.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Watch_Clasp.jpg (69.1 KB, 123 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 08:00 AM   #5
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Looks very similar to mine from my 1675/3 3.2 million serial number but that one seems to be in better condition! No numbers just as Springer has indicated except inside teh clasp with Rolex, the crown, and 14K.
hm, it looks like the one I posted has no USA markings or 14k trim marking, nothing.
Old 9 August 2022, 08:48 AM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Rule of thumb: I wouldn't buy from anybody who uses those washed-out, over-exposed photos with the bright white background.

Watch photos should be rich, detailed and natural, with high resolution, so that you can see the characteristics properly. Cf. Tropical Watch, HQ Milton.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 09:04 AM   #7
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
hm, it looks like the one I posted has no USA markings or 14k trim marking, nothing.
The markings are on the inside surface so would not be visible in the images you provided. It is an oval link bracelet. End links look like the ones I had on mine too—no numbers. But they were definitely never replaced until I did that myself to make it fit better with 450 end links. The Swiss version is Rolex Bracelet Jubilee 62523H and has the previously mentioned 450 end links. As I understand it, the oval link American bracelets were produced also in Mexico (Hecho en Mexico) so customs import fees would not be so high. In this way the watch could be sent as incomplete, which entailed less money to customs. I definitely could be wrong on that last bit… I actually thought these American bracelets were not available on later models like the 16753 but again, I don't know that for sure. One thing I do know, the bracelet is very comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4138_s.jpg (214.4 KB, 119 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 09:10 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
Thanks, I never would have guessed Rolex made bracelets like that.
It was manufactured for Rolex by a contractor in the USA. Rolex is not unlike any other corporation that wants to save on taxes when sending manufactured goods to the USA.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 9 August 2022, 09:36 AM   #9
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Rule of thumb: I wouldn't buy from anybody who uses those washed-out, over-exposed photos with the bright white background.

Watch photos should be rich, detailed and natural, with high resolution, so that you can see the characteristics properly. Cf. Tropical Watch, HQ Milton.
I find this varies with the age of the dealer.

The rich high-res photos are favored by younger dealers whereas a lot of older dealers still use those over exposed eBay style photos.

I've seen some dealers who scan the watches on a scanner.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 10:07 AM   #10
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
The 1675 1675/3 often came with the oval link bracelets but I am not aware of the 16750 or 16753 having this as an option.

If it’s a 16753 my guess is the bracelet is not original to the watch. The oval link bracelets are the cheapest option to add an authentic bracelet to a watch.

I would verify the case reference as the seller might be mistaking it for a 16753 and it’s actually a 1675/3.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 10:10 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
The 1675 1675/3 often came with the oval link bracelets but I am not aware of the 16750 or 16753 having this as an option.

If it’s a 16753 my guess is the bracelet is not original to the watch. The oval link bracelets are the cheapest option to add an authentic bracelet to a watch.

I would verify the case reference as the seller might be mistaking it for a 16753 and it’s actually a 1675/3.

Hello Justin, regarding your comments:

A 1980 16753 could quite possible have come this bracelet, since 1979 or'80 was the end of the USA bracelet production.

Old 9 August 2022, 02:51 PM   #12
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
The markings are on the inside surface so would not be visible in the images you provided. It is an oval link bracelet. End links look like the ones I had on mine too—no numbers. But they were definitely never replaced until I did that myself to make it fit better with 450 end links. The Swiss version is Rolex Bracelet Jubilee 62523H and has the previously mentioned 450 end links. As I understand it, the oval link American bracelets were produced also in Mexico (Hecho en Mexico) so customs import fees would not be so high. In this way the watch could be sent as incomplete, which entailed less money to customs. I definitely could be wrong on that last bit… I actually thought these American bracelets were not available on later models like the 16753 but again, I don't know that for sure. One thing I do know, the bracelet is very comfortable.
Ah, ok. I was thinking the stamp would show through the other side.

I'd be happy to have a well made, USA made bracelet, and it's cool to find out about the history on these, thanks.
Old 10 August 2022, 12:15 AM   #13
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I have one of those bracelets with incorrect but Rolex end links on my 16013 :)
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 06:20 AM   #14
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Hello Justin, regarding your comments:

A 1980 16753 could quite possible have come this bracelet, since 1979 or'80 was the end of the USA bracelet production.
Good to know JP, I did not know when they stopped manufacturing those.

They are actually quite comfortable, I wear the stainless version with one of my 1675's.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote