The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 September 2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Ap ro/roo

There are many posts mentioning that AP RO/ROO is such a scratch magnet, below is my honest opinion after joining the 'club' more than 3 months ago.

Frankly speaking, I can assure you that it is not a scratch magnet as it attracts scratches the same amount as any other watches I have (No worries mate).

Unfortunately, the scratches on the AP is more pronounced than other watches from daily use. For example, there will be numerous of tiny little dings and dents between the sharp angle (those between the brushed finish and polished finish) on the bezel. Yes, there will be scratches on the bezel for any other watches, but those from AP is a bit more pronounced from the first look.

Anyway, I am happy that I did not follow the opinion from others on the net, those scratches definitely do not diminish my love to AP!!!!!!!

In conclusion, GO FOR IT! Do not hesitate, those scratch is not a CONCERN if you are thinking to pull your trigger over AP, they are such a BEAUTY!

P:s/ The first few virgin dings/dents/scratches will break your heart but I promise you that you will feel much better after few more days!
Dickson Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Oh ya, in order to learn more, any experts here know how many times the bezel from AP can be polished? I was once asked by one of my friends but I have no idea on this question. From my memory, Rolex can be polished for more than 10times provided that it is done by a good watchmaker or RSC.

Cheers,
Dickson Lim
Old 14 September 2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Yoda

Watch: PP AP RM
Which AP do you have?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Which AP do you have?
Dual Time- Black version.
From your signature, you got a HUMBLEBEE!
Old 14 September 2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Yoda

You do not want to be scratching the bee bezel, its ceramic and I am told the best thing to do is replace rather then try to polish. Yes the ss or gold bezel do scratch, no more then an other watch but any watchmaker can polish them back to new along with the clasp but the bezel will have to be removed for the watch if you want a good job done. Enjoy your watch and when the time is right get it serviced and polished.
Old 15 September 2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You do not want to be scratching the bee bezel, its ceramic and I am told the best thing to do is replace rather then try to polish. Yes the ss or gold bezel do scratch, no more then an other watch but any watchmaker can polish them back to new along with the clasp but the bezel will have to be removed for the watch if you want a good job done. Enjoy your watch and when the time is right get it serviced and polished.
Haha thanks for the input mate. Definitely will enjoy it and maybe only get it polished up every 5years interval. Actually I am not concern about the scratches, just want to share with people that AP is not a scratch magnet! Yeah I have heard of the ceramic bezel problem, but I thought it won't get scratches but cracks. Hence, it is impossible to restore other than replacing it, much like the ceramic bezel on the Rolex nowdays.

Much appreciated,
Dickson Lim
Old 15 September 2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Yoda

Lim, a friend of mine had a bee and the bezel chipped, the bezel is very thick. I agree the normal metal bezel wear well IMO the worst bezel I have owned is the daytona and even when I took the daytona into RSC London they said they can not guarantee the finish on the daytona bezel as it is inlaid with numbers. My watchmaker who is AP trained said he has polished some bezels many times for customers with no problems.
Old 15 September 2011, 02:10 AM   #8
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lim, a friend of mine had a bee and the bezel chipped, the bezel is very thick. I agree the normal metal bezel wear well IMO the worst bezel I have owned is the daytona and even when I took the daytona into RSC London they said they can not guarantee the finish on the daytona bezel as it is inlaid with numbers. My watchmaker who is AP trained said he has polished some bezels many times for customers with no problems.
Brother Yoda, you mean the AP bezels can be polished up to many times for those SS or even gold / bezels for Daytona?
Yeah, that is a common problem for Daytona and Explorer 2. I think there should be a way to polish them just that the RSC cannot guarantee that the number inlaid will be perfect, anyway from my memory the cost to replace is still 'acceptable'.
Old 15 September 2011, 05:11 AM   #9
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
AP Refurbishing

Regarding polishing the bezel AP doesn't recommend doing it before the 5year service.
It can be polished with all the sharp angles 2-3 times tops and 5+ as they call it best possible.
Polishing the bezel too many times you will have a more rounded bezel.

And most important if want have it polished be sure to send to a AP Service Center

A replacement bezel for a ROO in SS cost roughly 1800USD where i live.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2011, 01:30 PM   #10
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
Regarding polishing the bezel AP doesn't recommend doing it before the 5year service.
It can be polished with all the sharp angles 2-3 times tops and 5+ as they call it best possible.

And most important if want have it polished be sure to send to a AP Service Center

Great advice. Especially when it comes to vintage Royal Oaks where bezels are not even available!! Right, Thomas?

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2011, 01:49 PM   #11
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That is what I heard too from the salesperson when I'm in Hong Kong. Hence, we should reduce the times to polish our watch or at least make it a longer interval. The price for the bezel I am not that clear though but should be somewhere around that range.

Anyway, great advice Thomas! That is the info much needed by the community here. And glad that our group is getting bigger and bigger!
Old 15 September 2011, 02:36 PM   #12
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
Great advice. Especially when it comes to vintage Royal Oaks where bezels are not even available!! Right, Thomas?
As it looks i might be going to AP next month, i'll definitely ask them about it

AP Owners Club
Old 15 September 2011, 02:36 PM   #13
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickson Lim View Post
That is what I heard too from the salesperson when I'm in Hong Kong. Hence, we should reduce the times to polish our watch or at least make it a longer interval. The price for the bezel I am not that clear though but should be somewhere around that range.

Anyway, great advice Thomas! That is the info much needed by the community here. And glad that our group is getting bigger and bigger!

AP Owners Club
Old 15 September 2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As it looks i might be going to AP next month, i'll definitely ask them about it
WOW great one mate! How I wish I could go 1 day!
Old 16 September 2011, 05:55 AM   #15
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Thanks so much Thomas. I appreciate your help.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 06:01 AM   #16
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks so much Thomas. I appreciate your help.
No worries buddy!

If they let me I will take some pictures of the Manufacture and at the museum to share with you guys

AP Owners Club