The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 14 December 2020, 09:14 PM   #61
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 09:36 PM   #62
Kostas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Very nice my friend, love the pics, big congrats!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 09:56 PM   #63
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Beautiful photos of a beautiful watch! Looks great on you, thank you for the review.
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 10:00 PM   #64
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 10:06 PM   #65
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Mystro, do you perhaps know if there is any other difference than the hands between the first and second generation YMII ?
The dial is also all new. It has white gold markers now instead of blue. They made the 12 marker a larger triangle shape and the 6 is a larger rectangle to distinguish the two.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 11:29 PM   #66
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Great pics and posts, many thanks for sharing and for the time it took to do so!

Congrats on the new watch!
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 11:34 PM   #67
fnfiveseven
"TRF" Member

There was a thread about if there was a 40mm version of this, would people get it? How can you not want this watch after seeing these pictures?
fnfiveseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 12:16 AM   #68
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfiveseven View Post
There was a thread about if there was a 40mm version of this, would people get it? How can you not want this watch after seeing these pictures?
Here is a couple points I was hoping to get to but wanted to avoid it in the actual review:

I thought about this watch very seriously to buy for the past 6 months but it haunted me for a decade. It was always on the back of my mind.
The few times it came up on the forum, I praised and was always taken back. The YMII was never represented correctly or even exposed the right way on social media. The new Rolex buyers look to social media for info and general opinions. The info and exposure of the YMII was little to none. I hope to change this a little bit and give some valuable information from a actual owner and enthusiast perspective..

The LVC (Hulk) sat in a very similar position as nobody wanted a green Sub and dealers always had them sitting and collecting dust for the first 5 years of its introduction.

Here is the point I will have to make after 30 years of Rolex ownership.
Rolex owners are extremely conservative and resist change. They were not always like this in the 80’s and 90’s. Once “investment” became a factor to some, any change in a very conservative design could upset a predictable resale value. The irony is Rolex owners love to complain about not getting anything new or significant upgrades. It got to the point that a slight dial font change was newsworthy. Rolex is alway in a difficult position as they have the knowledge and artistic ability to design amazing new pieces but a certain segment of their own customer base has their hands tied. The Yach-Master II took so much heat initially because the movement was so advanced and it didnt look like a Sub or GMT. It made the old time conservatives too nervous as the movement and design were too complex and different from the same old Sub/GMT that has looked the same for almost 50 years. Even the LVC, which is nothing more than a “green Sub”, took heat for having the wrong color initially but look how things have progressed........

A new Rolex world:
Fast forward a decade and we are now at a place where Rolex owners are starting to get more sophisticated and are looking at what’s inside the watch as well as the brand name. AP, Patek, etc. are now mainstream brands even new watch enthusiast know. This is why I believe now is the time we will see watches like the YMII and now SkyDweller are coming into their own to showcase Rolex innovative movement technology. Sometimes you need to break out of your comfort zone to go next level and find a higher connection to a watch.
Rolex is more than what some may see as a status symbol, marketing machine with great resale value. Rolex as a watch and movement company NEEDS to be appreciated and recognized. I believe the birth of the Yacht-Master II was targeted to those that want more from Rolex. Rolex was just ahead of their time with its initial release. The YMII will never be for everyone but it’s great to see that its technical achievements and what it is about is recognized and understood better today and in its future.
Old 15 December 2020, 02:26 AM   #69
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Amazing purchase! Well done getting the revised version! I'm looking at getting the TT 116681! Did you take this model into consideration??
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 02:30 AM   #70
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
One of my favorites! Congratulations!

Such a bold yet still elegant reference. The countdown timer is way cool

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 02:41 AM   #71
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
Amazing purchase! Well done getting the revised version! I'm looking at getting the TT 116681! Did you take this model into consideration??
I hate to spend other people’s money but.....Do it. There was a thread on the YMII TT last week for additional input.

I was personally looking for the monochromatic/blue look of the SS model as I was moving away from gold in my collection. I traded off my TT CHNR because the color hue wasn’t right for me personally.
I have to say the YMII in TT has to be the most impressive TT model I have ever seen. It is a total stunner with wrist presence off the charts. I owned the CHNR TT and wore a TT Bluesy as my daily for over 10 years and would get the YMII in TT if I was buying another TT model.
Old 15 December 2020, 02:48 AM   #72
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Excellent write-up! Love to hear your opinions on these pieces as you get into the nitty-gritty on these pieces and are not swayed by status quo opinions that have already been rendered.

How is the YMII comfort-wise when compared to your Omega POC? I have an older variant than you (9300), but find it reasonably comfortable once I installed the adjustable clasp. I'm guessing the YMII is less top-heavy overall and sits significantly "less proudly". Glad you mentioned the chrono pushers, I didn't realize Rolex engineered it similarly to the POC where they can be depressed when submerged without danger to the watch.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:08 AM   #73
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Excellent write-up! Love to hear your opinions on these pieces as you get into the nitty-gritty on these pieces and are not swayed by status quo opinions that have already been rendered.

How is the YMII comfort-wise when compared to your Omega POC? I have an older variant than you (9300), but find it reasonably comfortable once I installed the adjustable clasp. I'm guessing the YMII is less top-heavy overall and sits significantly "less proudly". Glad you mentioned the chrono pushers, I didn't realize Rolex engineered it similarly to the POC where they can be depressed when submerged without danger to the watch.
The POC is a beast. It is larger than my DSSD JC but I find it more comfortable than the DSSD but both of these are large alpha technical divers. The YMII is in a different class of comfort as it is balanced and truly feels closer to what a Sub or GMT would on the wrist which totally surprised me.

Not to get off topic but here is a size pic of the DSSD JC and POC and YMII. The dial to bezel ratio plays a big role in how large a watch looks.

Old 15 December 2020, 03:29 AM   #74
T01
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Stainless version is my favorite model in the YMII lineup. Great writeup as well! Enjoy!
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:40 AM   #75
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
I like it a lot. Too big for me, but it has such a wealthy attitude, I love it!
A friend (former rugby player) has one and I always like seeing it.
Old 15 December 2020, 03:41 AM   #76
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

The bezel is filled with platinum on the stainless steel models???
Old 15 December 2020, 03:46 AM   #77
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

You're as cool as everyone i've met in the state college area

The wrist presence is what I desire and the fact that it's not a popular model is another bonus. I really love the look and feel on my wrist when I went to go try it on a month ago!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I hate to spend other people’s money but.....Do it. There was a thread on the YMII TT last week for additional input.

I was personally looking for the monochromatic/blue look of the SS model as I was moving away from gold in my collection. I traded off my TT CHNR because the color hue wasn’t right for me personally.
I have to say the YMII in TT has to be the most impressive TT model I have ever seen. It is a total stunner with wrist presence off the charts. I owned the CHNR TT and wore a TT Bluesy as my daily for over 10 years and would get the YMII in TT if I was buying another TT model.
Old 15 December 2020, 03:51 AM   #78
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
You're as cool as everyone i've met in the state college area

The wrist presence is what I desire and the fact that it's not a popular model is another bonus. I really love the look and feel on my wrist when I went to go try it on a month ago!!
Thanks so much. I am a watch spotter everywhere I go. I spend at least 2 weeks on Disney Property at the Grand Flo each winter (except this year). I have seen about every interesting watch on a wrist in Orlando. I have even seen a 14 year old girl with a Prada back pack wear a SS Daytona on the monorail. I have yet to see any YMII in the wild. You just dont ever see them in the wild ..
Old 15 December 2020, 04:39 AM   #79
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Nice. I know the YMII doesn't get a lot of love, but I think it's awesome. I've tried on the yellow gold one (from somebody I met in the wild if you can believe it). Heavy chunk of a watch. Maybe a bit too big for my wrist, but I still love it.
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 04:52 AM   #80
ian.thomas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18078pres View Post
I like the reference, but the name on the bezel is it's achilles heel
Feel the same, but Mystro's review and pictures are making a strong argument to reverse that!

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 04:54 AM   #81
RichM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Excellent review. Huge Congratulations
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 05:13 AM   #82
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The POC is a beast. It is larger than my DSSD JC but I find it more comfortable than the DSSD but both of these are large alpha technical divers. The YMII is in a different class of comfort as it is balanced and truly feels closer to what a Sub or GMT would on the wrist which totally surprised me.

Not to get off topic but here is a size pic of the DSSD JC and POC and YMII. The dial to bezel ratio plays a big role in how large a watch looks.
Thanks and congratulations, a great piece
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 05:58 AM   #83
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Superb review, and as always, great pics. I like this piece a lot for the tech and the overall look. I believe the flyback complication is Rolex's proof that it's a matter of being their choice as to whether this becomes part of a future 4130 movement (may be 4230?).

In any case, many thanks for sharing!!
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 05:58 AM   #84
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Great write-up and photos. Thank you!

The YM II is not for me, but I think it looks great on your wrist.

You have the right wrist for it.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 06:19 AM   #85
CarteBlanche
"TRF" Member

I've had the same one since 2016 and it's still one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen/ owned.

And even though I have small wrists, it still looks fine.
CarteBlanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 06:21 AM   #86
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

always enjoy seeing someone in love with their watch
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 06:29 AM   #87
Cassidy776
Banned

Nice pics!!! Definitely not a watch for everyone or, should I say, most. You like it....that's all that matters.....enjoy!!!
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 06:48 AM   #88
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Another good point brought up. I want this to be a YMII reference thread as well as a owners review.

The “YACHT-MASTER II” on the bezel. Years ago when the watch was first introduced, I too was taken back. I also hated the “ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE” and “RING LOCK SYSTEM” initially with the DSSD. I was on the gratuitous wording bandwagon we had on the forum. Since then, like a fine wine, the design has mellowed into a hallmark badge of honor for these unique “halo” watches from Rolex. It’s almost like Rolex arrogantly and proudly tattooed these watches with these proprietary descriptions to make a point of what they are all about. Both certainly have the swagger and attitude of a Rolex giving the finger to the competition and haters for sure. Think of it like a Rolls Royce Spirit of Ecstasy on the hood. For the YMII, it keeps the bezel timing markings very symmetrical all the way around the bezel. In reality, you don’t even notice it and it looks very natural with the rest of the design and scale of the watch. Rolex knew what they were doing.
Old 15 December 2020, 06:49 AM   #89
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

the whole watch is too big for my wrist is an excuse to stick with the purist choice or to save money on 36mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarteBlanche View Post
I've had the same one since 2016 and it's still one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen/ owned.

And even though I have small wrists, it still looks fine.
Old 15 December 2020, 12:58 PM   #90
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
gorgeous, mazel !!! amazing write up and pics

its my fav rolex sports watch/watch, ever. period

i am partial to the blue hands-on my gold and steel, however, those new hands are stunning also in those pics
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote