The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2022, 06:47 AM   #1
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Calling on new 3861 speedmaster owners

Glad you got it? Which version did you get and why, hesilite or saph sandwich?

Do you find the case cut sharper? I've read some reviews on this and wondered if it's a thing or not.

Impressions on new bracelet?

Thanks!

Brian

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:51 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Not an owner Brian, but I tried both references on recently here at our AD.

My thoughts, the Bracelet really is an upgrade from the predecessor IMO. It’s drapes better over the wrist and just pairs more nicely with the case. The bracelet edges and the case were not sharp whatsoever IMO.

If I had to choose I think I’d go Sapphire for wearability. It wore thinner on my wrist which I really liked. I do believe it is about a mm thinner

The only major hiccup for me was the winding crown. It’s not the easiest or most pleasant experience. Again YMMV, but I don’t think I could get along with it because of that, so I passed.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 07:12 AM   #3
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Not an owner Brian, but I tried both references on recently here at our AD.

My thoughts, the Bracelet really is an upgrade from the predecessor IMO. It’s drapes better over the wrist and just pairs more nicely with the case. The bracelet edges and the case were not sharp whatsoever IMO.

If I had to choose I think I’d go Sapphire for wearability. It wore thinner on my wrist which I really liked. I do believe it is about a mm thinner

The only major hiccup for me was the winding crown. It’s not the easiest or most pleasant experience. Again YMMV, but I don’t think I could get along with it because of that, so I passed.
Interesting about the winding part of your comment, I had heard it wound easier than the 1863 movement. I'll give you a report, it arrives tomorrow....

Thanks Brian!

Brian

Old 18 January 2022, 07:18 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
Interesting about the winding part of your comment, I had heard it wound easier than the 1863 movement. I'll give you a report, it arrives tomorrow....

Thanks Brian!

Brian

Which one did you opt for?

To be fair, I’ve never owned a Speedy and only two other manual wind watches, so I have very limited experience.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 07:44 AM   #5
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Hi Brian,

I bought my 3861 Speedy (saph sandwich) last September, as a new daily watch to supplement my Rolex GMT Master that I am 'retiring' from full time service. When I bought the Rolex in 1967 it was a toss-up between that and a Speedmaster, which was very high-profile at the time due to the NASA Apollo programme.

So, I've always wanted a Speedmaster and I'm not disappointed. I'm very pleased with the 3861, for its dial-clarity, accuracy and its presence on the wrist. On the day I bought it I set it to right time and I haven't needed to adjust it since (in almost four months). Leave it face up at night and it gains 0.5 sec, leave it winder up or down and it loses 0.5 sec - at the moment it's 2 sec fast.

Regarding the winding action, I did find it a bit awkward over the first week or so, but I'm used to it now. I went for the leather strap, so can't comment on the new bracelet.

I hope you enjoy your new Speedy.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 07:57 AM   #6
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post

I'm very pleased with the 3861, for its dial-clarity, accuracy and its presence on the wrist.

Regarding the winding action, I did find it a bit awkward over the first week or so, but I'm used to it now.
+1

The bracelet is fantastic and feels modern imo. Recognise that it can seem a little thin, if you are used to the previous version (which I find to be awkward and bulky).

Regarding the sharp case, then it's not something that I have experienced.

Overall - Really like the watch and it grows on me each time I wear it
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 07:59 AM   #7
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I have FOIS and Snoopy 50. I can definitely say the 3861 winding is a lot stiffer vs the 1861 winding.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 07:59 AM   #8
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
The bracelet is good. I bought one for my snoopy and while it can be a bit sharp on the edges, once you have it sized properly it’s no issue. It’s very much like a jubilee. I think you will enjoy the watch a lot. Looking forward to the pics.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 08:01 AM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Interesting about the winding part of your comment, I had heard it wound easier than the 1863 movement.
I get the sense the variation in winding effort across individual examples is related more to the winding stem and the seals around it than it is to the caliber itself.

I haven't heard owners of the new model (with caliber 3861) complaining of crowns requiring excessive effort to twist, but it was a thing with the previous generation of the Speedmaster Pro (with caliber 1861).

The new model has a crown that protrudes slightly further from the crown-guards, so it should be a bit easier to grasp and twist. The crown of the previous model was sometimes difficult to grasp, and if a watch was plagued by high resistance in the crown then winding the watch each day was downright unpleasant.

Glad to hear you placed the order, and here's hoping you'll find the crown easy to grasp and twist each day
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 08:54 AM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I get the sense the variation in winding effort across individual examples is related more to the winding stem and the seals around it than it is to the caliber itself.

I haven't heard owners of the new model (with caliber 3861) complaining of crowns requiring excessive effort to twist, but it was a thing with the previous generation of the Speedmaster Pro (with caliber 1861).

The new model has a crown that protrudes slightly further from the crown-guards, so it should be a bit easier to grasp and twist. The crown of the previous model was sometimes difficult to grasp, and if a watch was plagued by high resistance in the crown then winding the watch each day was downright unpleasant.

Glad to hear you placed the order, and here's hoping you'll find the crown easy to grasp and twist each day
My Apollo 11 was extremely stiff for the first month. A compete finger shredder. That needed to go back to omega for service due to the movement issue. My new one, very easy to wind. I will say though, the straight lug variants are much easier in that respect but zero issues with the new one for me.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 08:57 AM   #11
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
I meant to say in my earlier post - I went for the sapphire sandwich option because the sapphire is harder wearing and slightly thinner than the hesilite and it's good to be able to see the movement inside the back of the case. I've examined the case for sharp edges only because I've read about it on this forum - there is some sharpness at the end of the lugs, but it really isn't an issue in normal wear.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:09 AM   #12
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
To speak to the winding, I have the 1861 and 3861. The 3861 winding was very noticeable the first month or so - requiring a bit more effort than the 1861 with daily wear, now it winds completely normally, very on par with my 1861. My OB said it's normal and because it's new. That was my experience, not saying it's everyones.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:19 AM   #13
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Hesalite because I don't like how Speedys look with polished bracelet links, costs less, no milky ring, and I don't need to see the movement.

My case isn't sharp.

Bracelet is great. My only gripe is the clasp looks a little too short but that can be fixed for an extra $200 with the Chronoscope clasp.

It's easy to wind if you only use the side of your index against the backside instead of pinching the
crown.

Love the watch. This and the Sub are the only two I need.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:41 PM   #14
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Which one did you opt for?

To be fair, I’ve never owned a Speedy and only two other manual wind watches, so I have very limited experience.
Saphire I'll give you a report
Old 18 January 2022, 01:43 PM   #15
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Brian,

I bought my 3861 Speedy (saph sandwich) last September, as a new daily watch to supplement my Rolex GMT Master that I am 'retiring' from full time service. When I bought the Rolex in 1967 it was a toss-up between that and a Speedmaster, which was very high-profile at the time due to the NASA Apollo programme.

So, I've always wanted a Speedmaster and I'm not disappointed. I'm very pleased with the 3861, for its dial-clarity, accuracy and its presence on the wrist. On the day I bought it I set it to right time and I haven't needed to adjust it since (in almost four months). Leave it face up at night and it gains 0.5 sec, leave it winder up or down and it loses 0.5 sec - at the moment it's 2 sec fast.

Regarding the winding action, I did find it a bit awkward over the first week or so, but I'm used to it now. I went for the leather strap, so can't comment on the new bracelet.

I hope you enjoy your new Speedy.

Stan.
Thanks Stan! I'll post my experience when I get it
Old 18 January 2022, 01:46 PM   #16
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I meant to say in my earlier post - I went for the sapphire sandwich option because the sapphire is harder wearing and slightly thinner than the hesilite and it's good to be able to see the movement inside the back of the case. I've examined the case for sharp edges only because I've read about it on this forum - there is some sharpness at the end of the lugs, but it really isn't an issue in normal wear.

Stan.
Thanks Stan! I appreciate the additional comment !
Old 18 January 2022, 02:20 PM   #17
David5807
"TRF" Member

The bracelet on the new Speedies are fantastic! I'm not sure where the whole rumor about the sharpness got started, but I think it's bs.
Regarding winding, the new Speedie's crown is slightly easier to wind, but still not easy. Overall it's a great watch though and one you should own if you can.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 02:51 PM   #18
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
The bracelet on the new Speedies are fantastic! I'm not sure where the whole rumor about the sharpness got started, but I think it's bs.
Regarding winding, the new Speedie's crown is slightly easier to wind, but still not easy. Overall it's a great watch though and one you should own if you can.

Thanks David!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2022, 03:22 PM   #19
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
One youtuber made a video about the watch being really sharp and it kind of blew up from there.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 07:32 PM   #20
Jimmy 1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665/16610/114060
Hesalite for me & purchased last February. I Love it, the bracelet is fantastic and I've got used to the winding crown being 'difficult' (it's not really, just better recessed than on an Oyster case).
I hummed & harred for years about adding a Speedy, when Omega revamped the watch last year with all the subtle changes I had to get it. Never looked back and it's still getting on my wrist every other day!
Good luck with your Sapphire Sandwich!

Ps - that sharp case stuff is not something I've seen or experienced.
Jimmy 1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 07:38 PM   #21
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Calling on new 3861 speedmaster owners

Sapphire.
Great watch with amazing accuracy.
No problems.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:00 PM   #22
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
One youtuber made a video about the watch being really sharp and it kind of blew up from there.
He's still complaining about it to this day Rolex fanboys just looking for reasons to keep hating.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:41 AM   #23
Finfin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Brian, very happy with my sapphire 3861 speedy.

It's a comfortable wearing daily wearer that's easy to read. The bracelet was a *tiny* let down for me. It's comfortable and that's the nicest thing I can say about it. A jubilee it is not! :-) The case does have sharp corners on the lugs but this has not been a factor in my enjoyment of the watch. That's the design of the lugs. If you're going to own only 1 Omega, this is it.

I purchased mine July '21 and it has been my most worn daily since then.
Finfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:50 AM   #24
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I purchased the Hesalite last January. It's my most worn watch of 2021 and I really enjoy it. I like the new bracelet very much.

When these were first announced there was a wait for both at the Omega boutique, and I was on the list for the Saphire, but they called me and said they had the first Hesalite in... I went in to see it with the intention of just looking, but it took me all of 5 seconds to decide to buy it. I don't regret my choice even now.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:05 AM   #25
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own the 3861 and the 1861 both with Hesilite. Great watches and the new 3861 is spot on with accuracy and wear. I really like the new bracelet and never experienced any sharpness to it. I wear my 1861 on aftermarket straps and bracelets and keep the 3861 on the OEM bracelet. There is really no bad choice on the sapphire/hesilite on a preference. Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:55 AM   #26
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
Hesilite for me but I have a few other speedys with see through case back. I was trying to resist the urge; but I know I will buy one anyway so the thought of buying it for more later in the year gave me the nudge I needed.

Not found it sharp at all and the bracelet is sublime honestly I have numerous other brand the smaller links help it to just fit the wrist better IMHO. Only slight annoyance is the 1/2 link adjustment I would have liked not being available.

However this is easily rectified and I have ordered a new clasp to rectify that for £180.

Bottom line one of the most accurate watches I have found for a manual wind and I have found it easier to wind then a few other speedys I own.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:04 PM   #27
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Thanks Guys! Just got it today and am dialing in the bracelet as I type. I'll post my impressions tomorrow! Thanks for the feeback.
Old 19 January 2022, 01:07 PM   #28
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Guys! Just got it today and am dialing in the bracelet as I type. I'll post my impressions tomorrow! Thanks for the feeback.
Nice. It arrived on a Speedy Tuesday
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:29 PM   #29
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Nice I myself am enjoying my hesalite with the new bracelet …
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:21 PM   #30
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Congratulations on your new watch Brian, I’m sure you will enjoy wearing it.

How are people finding the accuracy of the new 3861 compared to the older 1861 versions?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote