The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 August 2020, 08:54 AM   #1
od91
"TRF" Member

UK Waiting Lists?

Hi all,
I’m new here! I’m interested to know whether there is still a big shortage of watches coming into the UK? From what I’ve read Rolex do seem to have slowed down their production over the last couple of years and made new watches increasingly more difficult to get hold of - or is this a myth?

I’m about to get my name down on a Black Sub Date - what are my chances of getting one?

Interested to hear opinions! Thanks in advance!
od91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 08:59 AM   #2
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

I think the more sensible explanation is that production has remained the same or slightly increased but demand has increased at a much higher rate outstripping supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Your best source of information will be the AD who takes your order for the Sub Date.
There is a lot of variation and it depends on a number of factors.

I was offered a BLNR out of the safe last month by my AD. I can't get on the list for a SS Sky Dweller or the LV, I'm on the list for the SS BLRO as of last month and will report back if it appears before I die of old age. The Polar is wait listed at my AD. Two years ago I walked in and bought one from stock. A Bluesy took eight months and a TT CHNR took ten. A 36mm OP Grape came out of the safe off a walk in this year. OP 39 is wait listed (approx one year). SS DJ is wait listed. I bought a Z-Blue out of their window in mid 2018 and haven't seen a Milgauss on display in the AD since.

That's just an anecdotal sample of one. Your mileage may vary. I expect that after a few of us have chipped in with personal experiences, a pattern will fail to emerge! And your Sub Date could turn up next week. You just never know. All the best with it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:11 AM   #4
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Welcome, as Ive said in other posts I tried for a Sub date in various AD’s over 2.5 years in the UK, including all Heathrow terminals, also on my travels in Gibraltar, Marbella, Cologne, Barcelona And never ever got a sniff, you may get lucky, good luck on your quest.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:52 AM   #5
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

It can be very difficult to start a relationship with an AD.

In 2018 I picked up a BLNR after about a seven month wait, with no previous purchases, I thought I had found my new AD, I enquired about a SS Datejust, but was virtually ignored from then on.

I was then introduced to another AD through a friend of mine. I received an LVc and a Sub ND with very little wait, and I’m hoping for a BLRO at some point.

I tried another AD in March 2019 for Black Sub, but this hasn’t yet happened.

There are some great AD’s out there, but you just need to be lucky, and with the popularity, it’s difficult to even get on waiting lists.

Best of luck in your hunt.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 06:18 PM   #6
od91
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for your opinions, it is very much a luck of the draw!
Old 8 August 2020, 06:23 PM   #7
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
The stock answer for most watches at my AD is 12-18 months, the exceptions being a Sky Dweller and Daytona and for these I am quoted in excess of 5 years for both. And, for complete clarity I have buying history with the AD in terms of watches and jewellery, so for someone unknown to the store waiting times may be longer.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 06:24 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by od91 View Post
Hi all,
I’m new here! I’m interested to know whether there is still a big shortage of watches coming into the UK? From what I’ve read Rolex do seem to have slowed down their production over the last couple of years and made new watches increasingly more difficult to get hold of - or is this a myth?

I’m about to get my name down on a Black Sub Date - what are my chances of getting one?

Interested to hear opinions! Thanks in advance!
Well in the real world Rolex are no longer watches bought to be enjoyed as today by many they are just seen as little more than $$$$$£££££.Now on the grey market there are hundreds of them for sale all models at crazy prices where a lot end up.Hopefully this will end soon and then perhaps we could get back to normal and see watches for sale at ADs good luck in your search for your Rolex sub.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 06:41 PM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well in the real world Rolex are no longer watches bought to be enjoyed as today by many they are just seen as little more than $$$$$£££££.Now on the grey market there are hundreds of them for sale all models at crazy prices where a lot end up.Hopefully this will end soon and then perhaps we could get back to normal and see watches for sale at ADs good luck in your search for your Rolex sub.
And if not there are a multitude of other brands to enjoy, many without the supposed kudos, but with better movements, history and certainly availability.
Old 8 August 2020, 06:43 PM   #10
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I see signs that UK ADs are getting bigger supplies than usual, although that might be to make up for the Covid situation. Just go to your local AD and introduce yourself. Stress you are local and want to deal with them. Keep your fingers crossed, these are not rare watches.
If feasible, choose an independently owned business and pop-in at a time when they’re not too busy. Try to work-out who the manager is. It can be done.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 06:46 PM   #11
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
And if not there are a multitude of other brands to enjoy, many without the supposed kudos, but with better movements, history and certainly availability.
+1 on this as it is so true.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 06:51 PM   #12
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Hello Sir! I have a small bit of experience here I’ve had 1 AD purchase and 2 Grey here in London. The AD has me on wait list for a BLRO. There’s big spenders everywhere here so I am easily two years in with no end in sight. Being totally honest my two grey purchases have been really slick and almost too easy. There’s a ton of Full Set Sub Dates for £8,750 on Chrono24 in London right now. I suppose the choice is more of a time thing, how long do you want to wait versus the fact you could make one phone call ask if in stock then go pick one of those up today and start enjoying it! I don’t regret my grey purchases because I’m dead sure I’d have been waiting all these years I’ve been enjoying them!
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 07:03 PM   #13
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

It's sad to say but unless you are lucky I think you will struggle without purchase history.

18/12 months ago I was searching for one, and was told between 2-5 years at various ADs. One AD said that they would be happy to add me to a waitlist, but their waitlist was closed and I'd need to wait to get on the waitlist...

I adjusted my expectations, and luckily there were a few other pieces I wanted in the collection. The OP 39 and the Explorer to be specific. The OP was bought out of the window (lucky find) and the Explorer was around a 2/3 month wait from the same AD. Admittedly the OP39 has since been sold to a friend, mainly because I found it too similar to the Exp (I did a post comparing the two a while back) but the Exp is a favourite of mine and an absolute pleasure to wear.

A few months back I was purchasing a watch as gift for a family member from the same AD. Whilst conversing the salesperson asked if there was anything I'd like at which point I said the Sub Date. They said no problem, I paid, and other than lockdown the watch was mine without any wait. I don't think that I would've had this opportunity without prior history.

Good luck with your search - if you don't plan on acquiring any other pieces, it may just be easier going grey. For me, I was happy to be patient and pick up the other pieces in the meantime...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 07:13 PM   #14
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I was told my interest would be registered, my details taken, and my name 'put in a hat' lottery style.
They said they had just over 200 names on their list, for the piece I wanted to buy. (This was 2 years ago.....no new watch, yet).

Good luck!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 08:27 PM   #15
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on the franshise / company but from what I was told by the biggest chain, pieces are now allocated by managers.

There is no list as such in that you have a numbered place in a list and wait your turn. Its now an "expression of interest" and boils down to your history as a customer and a huge chunk of luck.

You never know and as I say, it is branch / retailer dependant.

FWIW, i've recently been quoted 8 months wait (with 20% deposit payable) on a fluted DJ41. I'd imagine they'll quote you circa 2 years for a black sub, in which case you'll likely be waiting a lot longer as there's every chance there will be a refresh within those 2 years.

Best of luck!
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 10:00 PM   #16
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
At least 2 years, it’s really slow here in the UK....I just went to a grey dealer in January 2019. I got a new/unworn with stickers on for £7860. It’s a mark up but that’s the deal with grey dealers....I’ve never regretted it at all, saved waiting 2 years. As it is it’s turned out to be a pretty good deal in today’s market.
Best of luck whatever option you use.
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 10:48 PM   #17
gilb69uk
"TRF" Member

Creating a relationship is key. And even then it won't guarantee you will get the watch anytime soon. I purchased an explorer nearly 2 years ago when it was just sitting in the window. Then 12 months later I walked in and asked about a Tudor BB58. They had one out back so I purchased there and then. Now I'm in the hunt for a green sub. No time scale as to when I might get one. They offered me a black but I'm holding out for the green. Good luck.
gilb69uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:37 AM   #18
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisoul View Post
At least 2 years, it’s really slow here in the UK....I just went to a grey dealer in January 2019. I got a new/unworn with stickers on for £7860. It’s a mark up but that’s the deal with grey dealers....I’ve never regretted it at all, saved waiting 2 years. As it is it’s turned out to be a pretty good deal in today’s market.
Best of luck whatever option you use.
That isn’t bad at all! I’d happily take that deal if it saved a 2 year wait. I’m just going to have the conversation with them, hoping they’re going to be honest and give me a realistic timeframe. I am hoping to maybe get on the list for a GMT as well, double chance then.
Old 9 August 2020, 01:39 AM   #19
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I think it depends on the franshise / company but from what I was told by the biggest chain, pieces are now allocated by managers.

There is no list as such in that you have a numbered place in a list and wait your turn. Its now an "expression of interest" and boils down to your history as a customer and a huge chunk of luck.

FWIW, i've recently been quoted 8 months wait (with 20% deposit payable) on a fluted DJ41. I'd imagine they'll quote you circa 2 years for a black sub, in which case you'll likely be waiting a lot longer as there's every chance there will be a refresh within those 2 years.

Best of luck!
As long as they’re honest that’s all I’m hoping for as it means I can ask at other dealers. I am hopeful that maybe because of COVID they may have had people back out? Wishful thinking, I know. Someone I know paid 100% deposit and waited 4 months, I’m willing to do that if I am guaranteed one.
Old 9 August 2020, 01:42 AM   #20
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post

Best of luck!
I’m happy to pay a deposit or 20% or even 100% (I know someone who did this) if I am guaranteed the watch in X amount of time.
Old 9 August 2020, 02:47 AM   #21
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
To be honest, among many buyers, that ease of availability makes other brands unattractive and undesirable.

"I can buy this Omega right now"? No thanks.

"I need to spend $100K AND wait a year to get the Sub"? Sign me up.

It's just human nature.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:35 AM   #22
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
To be honest, among many buyers, that ease of availability makes other brands unattractive and undesirable.

"I can buy this Omega right now"? No thanks.

"I need to spend $100K AND wait a year to get the Sub"? Sign me up.

It's just human nature.
You’re so correct. And then meet up with 20 others showing off about how much over retail they paid
Old 11 August 2020, 10:57 PM   #23
od91
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of your responses guys. I am starting my quest on Saturday so I will report back!

After researching it does appear it is going to be difficult!
Old 11 August 2020, 11:56 PM   #24
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by od91 View Post
Thanks for all of your responses guys. I am starting my quest on Saturday so I will report back!

After researching it does appear it is going to be difficult!
Best of luck with your search.

Keep us posted on how you get on.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 11:56 PM   #25
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Don’t loose hope. Whilst it’s typical to need to wait 12-18 months with no history, there have been stories on here of people getting them quicker.

With history ive been quoted 3-9 months, with a good relationship. So you never know.

Gut feel, a sub date is probably going to be mid to end next year. You will of course receive the new movement and case if the new sub is indeed released In September. Ps don’t forget to reapply ASAP as a lot of ADs start new lists for model changes... remember this is all guess work, I and no other people on here have any information to say that is the case. But just putting it out there that you may need to reapply on a new list.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 12:03 AM   #26
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Don’t loose hope. Whilst it’s typical to need to wait 12-18 months with no history, there have been stories on here of people getting them quicker.

With history ive been quoted 3-9 months, with a good relationship. So you never know.

Gut feel, a sub date is probably going to be mid to end next year. You will of course receive the new movement and case if the new sub is indeed released In September. Ps don’t forget to reapply ASAP as a lot of ADs start new lists for model changes... remember this is all guess work, I and no other people on here have any information to say that is the case. But just putting it out there that you may need to reapply on a new list.
Amazing tip! Thank you! I’ll ask about it when I go in!
Old 12 August 2020, 12:06 AM   #27
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopeluche View Post
I think the more sensible explanation is that production has remained the same or slightly increased but demand has increased at a much higher rate outstripping supply.

Exactly

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 02:14 AM   #28
Tuma
"TRF" Member

I thinks it's all about the amount of effort you put in, visit your AD and talk to them, make them aware that you are local and talk watches.. My first interest in Rolex watches went like this with no previous purchase history,

(AD Number 1)
May 2019 after 4-6 pop in visits to my AD i expressed an interest in a Submariner and picked it up in Dec 2019, then expressed an interest in a BLRO which i have been told i will have before May 2021.

(AD Number 2)
Called via phone in July 2020 to inquire about a BLNR which i had expressed an interest in July 2019, was offered an Explorer over the phone and purchased.

(AD Number 3)
Inquired about a BLNR July 2019, offered a BLNR Aug 2020, Paid and collecting next week!

There out there you just need to be persistent and patient at the same time.
Tuma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:42 AM   #29
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
I thinks it's all about the amount of effort you put in, visit your AD and talk to them, make them aware that you are local and talk watches.. My first interest in Rolex watches went like this with no previous purchase history,

(AD Number 1)
May 2019 after 4-6 pop in visits to my AD i expressed an interest in a Submariner and picked it up in Dec 2019, then expressed an interest in a BLRO which i have been told i will have before May 2021.

(AD Number 2)
Called via phone in July 2020 to inquire about a BLNR which i had expressed an interest in July 2019, was offered an Explorer over the phone and purchased.

(AD Number 3)
Inquired about a BLNR July 2019, offered a BLNR Aug 2020, Paid and collecting next week!

That sounds very encouraging, but I guess it is very dependent on where in the UK these ADs are?
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:44 AM   #30
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuma View Post

(AD Number 1)

(AD Number 2)

(AD Number 3)

I’m happy to hear a success story, thank you!

Tags
availability , scarcity