The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 June 2020, 12:41 PM   #91
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
You’re right. It is what it is and hindsight is 20/20, but I’m pretty glad now that I didn’t give them my money.

I also hate the attitude that we, the consumers, are supposed to feel privileged that an AD was “willing” to sell me something. Rolex is such a strong brand that the customers only enjoy the privilege of handing over there money. ADs be like “imma treat you like shit, but you should feel privileged that I’m letting you give me your money for this product”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear you. My experience is that not all sales guys are like that. I’d like to think this was just an isolated incident and most of the AD guys really are good people. The reality is that they want to sell the hard to get pieces to good customers and unfortunately there is more demand for some watches than there is supply. Wish you the best in the future to get what you want.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:42 PM   #92
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
After I was booted from the store, I sent him and his sales team an email shortly thereafter to let them know I appreciated the sales associate who was initially working with me. I then let the owner know he could enjoy his Yelp review, Rolex corporate would be contacted, and I’d be posting my experience on multiple forums.

Nice

I’m excited to see the end of this

Old 13 June 2020, 12:43 PM   #93
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarm981 View Post
I hear you. My experience is that not all sales guys are like that. I’d like to think this was just an isolated incident and most of the AD guys really are good people. The reality is that they want to sell the hard to get pieces to good customers and unfortunately there is more demand for some watches than there is supply. Wish you the best in the future to get what you want.

Thank I appreciate that. I also agree there are probably many more good situations than bad. As I mentioned, the original sales associate I was working with was fine and I’d be wearing a Sea-Dweller right now if the owner had never made an appearance.

Old 13 June 2020, 12:50 PM   #94
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=iazrollie;10674417]Did the AD make it up in any other way than an apology?

Here's the full story
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...yed+with+my+ad
The bottom line is that Rolex contacted him and sent him a copy of my complaint. He emailed me asking when it would be a suitable time to call to discuss my complaint. When he called, he made it very clear that he was very disappointed with his sales assistant (personally I think he encouraged it but once I called them out, they realised how unscrupulous it is). We spent nearly an hour on the phone as the conversation digressed onto other topics such as waitlists, flippers et al. The whole discussion was very civilised and amenable.

I was encouraged to return to the store and I would be made to feel most welcome but the covid-19 thing has kind of put the lid on that for now. I will probably go back but not in any hurry. I've moved on from Rolex as I think I have too many anyway haha. Looking at other brands now and am enjoying the research into them.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for asking.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:56 PM   #95
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
If I am reading your story correctly then you could have bought a Sea Dweller at MSRP plus tax but you did not want to pay that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet;
Sort of. I was willing to pay MSRP plus tax, but I figured first I’d see if a discount was even within the realm of possibility.
Buying SD43 + Tax is itself discount purchase in these times. You can be a new customer but you can't be ignorant customer, not knowing the Rolex current trends. That might have pissed off the owner that he's catering to a wrong customer in post-covid times and not a serious buyer. Many don't have any intention to entertain non-buyers and just wants the real buyers spend time in their store. We're still not in window shopping and bargaining phase IMO!

Just playing devil's advocate but that AD has no business to disrespect anyone in their store even if they buy or not!
Old 13 June 2020, 12:59 PM   #96
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Buying SD43 + Tax is itself discount purchase in these times. You can be a new customer but you can't be ignorant customer, not knowing the Rolex current trends. That might have pissed off the owner that he's catering to a wrong customer in post-covid times and not a serious buyer. Many don't have any intention to entertain non-buyers and just wants the real buyers spend time in their store. We're still not in window shopping and bargaining phase IMO!

I know the current trends, and no, SD43 + tax is not a discount; that makes no sense. I know what you’re going to say - they go for more than that on the used market. Yup, I know. Still shouldn’t cause someone to treat you like crap just because you politely asked for a gesture. I would have been perfectly happy being politely turned down. I was not.

I wasn’t being an ignorant customer.

Old 13 June 2020, 12:59 PM   #97
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I was once told by a rep at a Breitling AD that asking for a discount meant I really wasn’t a true watch lover and devalued the watch. He was a complete idiot. If I ran that store he’d have been fired on the spot.
Old 13 June 2020, 01:01 PM   #98
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
I was once told by a rep at a Breitling AD that asking for a discount meant I really wasn’t a true watch lover and devalued the watch. He was a complete idiot. If I ran that store he’d have been fired on the spot.

That’s a good one. That’s kind of one of my points here - if a sales associate did this in another industry, they would be fired! In this case, it was the owner, but still, same concept.

Old 13 June 2020, 01:04 PM   #99
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I know the current trends, and no, SD43 + tax is not a discount; that makes no sense. I know what you’re going to say - they go for more than that on the used market.
Not even mentioning used market. Only repeat customers, who already spent something on the store, are being considered for hot pieces anywhere you go. So, for a new customer - SD43 or Daytona with just Retail price + tax on same day is truly a discount! You can disagree all day long but that's the best possible discount anyone can get without waiting time! I think 100% users on this forum will take that discount any day of the week!
Old 13 June 2020, 01:05 PM   #100
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Not even mentioning used market. Only repeat customers, who already spent something on the store, are being considered for hot pieces anywhere you go. So, for a new customer - SD43 or Daytona with just Retail price + tax on same day is truly a discount! You can disagree all day long but that's the best possible discount anyone can get without waiting time! I think 100% users on this forum will take that discount any day of the week!

If that’s the type of discount you were referring to, then my apologies as that does make sense. I shouldn’t have assumed you were referring to the used market.

Old 13 June 2020, 01:13 PM   #101
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
OP, I went back and read your post, in its entirety...

100%, to hell with that guy. He needs to be checked. I'm looking forward to any updates.
Old 13 June 2020, 01:26 PM   #102
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Wow interesting thread. I haven’t read all the replies (I made it to post 40).

I think it depends on where you are located, there are countries where you don’t negotiate and the price posted is the final price. Some people are offended by just being asked “let’s discuss the price”.

I understand you are talking about the attitude of the owner of the store but we don’t know his side of the story. Forget about it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 13 June 2020, 01:31 PM   #103
varun
"TRF" Member

lol when kids try to act like grown-ups they get caught
Old 13 June 2020, 01:36 PM   #104
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that you made a tactical error walking into a major market AD and asking for a discount on an in-demand model. While it's certainly not good business practice to be rude to a customer, dealing with the general public day in and day out can be stressful in an of itself. Who knows what kind of of yayhoos they've had in there this week wasting everybody's time.

I say this as someone who had a good friend that was the proprietor of a shop that bought and sold expensive goods and the stories he would tell about some of the people that darkened his door would make you cringe. I witnessed it myself on several occasions.

You certainly have a choice as to where you spend your money, and I've "fired" several business in my time, but after that you got to let it go and move on.
Old 13 June 2020, 01:40 PM   #105
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Wow, a store owner didn’t like it when you hinted that he help you avoid paying sales tax? The nerve of these guys.
as others said above they do this all the time though, every dealer I have been to has said they can ship out of state for the tax evasion stuff....sounds like the owner stereotyped the guy and felt he was a tire kicker and wanted him out...personally if I was the OP I wouldn't be shopping there ever

Quote:
It’s not avoiding sales tax. It’s seeing if they’ll lower the MSRP so your out the door price is the same as if you paid only MSRP. So MSRP Sea-Dweller is $11700. Lower it to $10800 so when I pay sales tax we are basically back at $11700 (actually $11880). There is nothing wrong or illegal about this. $1080 in tax would be paid by me instead of $1170.

as others have said in this market that will happen like never....its full boat plus tax unless you are an amazing repeat customer (and even then sounds near impossible) or you have them ship it to you out of state or buy in a no sales tax state.
Old 13 June 2020, 01:49 PM   #106
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The SD and DSSD was available .You could have bought it,if you wanted one of those references .

Never get angry in business.

New client asking for discounts on ss sports in current market and avoiding tax gives the impression of flipper talk .
Old 13 June 2020, 01:50 PM   #107
robbycon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I live in the area as well, and have only had GREAT experiences at Alvin Goldfarb (and have had about 1/10 good experiences at the Ben Bridge he mentioned). I have yet to purchase a watch at AG, but have gone in there to look at their selection many times. Each time the sales associates have been extremely friendly, didn't pressure me to buy anything, and only treated me with respect. I have bought earrings for my wife at AG from a sales associate and, again, it was a great experience. What was even better was that this same owner Steven Goldfarb called me a few days later just to ask if there was anything he could do to make my experience even better.

I really like and respect this jeweler and am surprised to read this. It sounds like the OP will not be going back there, but anybody else reading this should absolutely give it a shot. In my opinion it is by far the most respectful Rolex AD in the greater Seattle area, and the only other watch dealer that comes close is Porcellos (although they are exclusively pre-owned).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2020, 01:51 PM   #108
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
The SD and DSSD was available .You could have bought it,if you wanted one of those references .

Never get angry in business.

The owner kicked me out of the store. Who was angry? I posted this here for others’ awareness.

Old 13 June 2020, 01:52 PM   #109
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbycon View Post
I live in the area as well, and have only had GREAT experiences at Alvin Goldfarb (and have had about 1/10 good experiences at the Ben Bridge he mentioned). I have yet to purchase a watch at AG, but have gone in there to look at their selection many times. Each time the sales associates have been extremely friendly, didn't pressure me to buy anything, and only treated me with respect. I have bought earrings for my wife at AG from a sales associate and, again, it was a great experience. What was even better was that this same owner Steven Goldfarb called me a few days later just to ask if there was anything he could do to make my experience even better.

I really like and respect this jeweler and am surprised to read this. It sounds like the OP will not be going back there, but anybody else reading this should absolutely give it a shot. In my opinion it is by far the most respectful Rolex AD in the greater Seattle area, and the only other watch dealer that comes close is Porcellos (although they are exclusively pre-owned).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It’s truly good to hear of your good experiences. Mine were also positive interactions up until today’s debacle and me basically getting 86’d for apparently offending the owner.

Old 13 June 2020, 02:05 PM   #110
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don’t understand, you want to buy a watch spending or willing to spend many thousands of dollars for something which is called luxury hard to find on the market and you are trying not to pay taxes? You know he’s paying taxes on his shops.
Cmon :)
He was rude but you need to see his side also

Old 13 June 2020, 02:06 PM   #111
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Thanks for the heads up I live about 80 miles to the north will not waste my time there. And wanted to say thanks for your service
Old 13 June 2020, 02:07 PM   #112
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I get what you're saying, but I do not believe I was in the wrong. Maybe I went about asking for a discount the wrong way, but think about if I had been buying something else. If I had been buying a car and mentioned a discount or bringing the total out the door price to what it would be if there was not tax on the car, it would be seen as completely normal. The only reason us consumers are at such a disadvantage and stuff like this flies is because Rolex is such an incredibly strong powerhouse that no one on the sales side of things needs to accommodate the customer or make any gesture whatsoever. And I'm not knocking Rolex for that at all! What a wonderful position to be in as a company.

I guess we can agree to disagree as I truly don't feel like I did anything wrong, but I appreciate you saying I shouldn't have been treated badly.
Here's a bit of free advise and the best advice you're going to get today.

Buying any sought after SS Rolex in this day and age is nothing like just strolling into your average car dealer and buying a f****n car.

You should consider yourself quite lucky to have been able to see the watches in the flesh let alone handle them.
Some people have difficulty just getting a look at what they think they're after.
Old 13 June 2020, 02:10 PM   #113
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

How did you land the appointment to view the SD 43 and DB watches? was it the SA ?
Old 13 June 2020, 02:11 PM   #114
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
How did you land the appointment to view the SD 43 and DB watches? was it the SA ?

Been in contact with the AD and sales associates a couple of times via email over the last few months and had been in the shop a couple of times before Covid hit.

Old 13 June 2020, 02:12 PM   #115
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
First, I’m not defending the behavior. The hell with that kind of crap. It will catch you with them in the long term.
But here’s my opinion. I ask for a discount on most expensive purchases. But as you know Rolex is in a different atmosphere right now and all these ADs are power tripping. It’s like the Soup Nazi. If you want it, line up quietly and just say your order, pay for it and leave.
I just recently purchased a Sky D from an AD that I’ve purchased at and received a discount in the past. Discount was for a TT Sub. However, I didn’t even bother to ask for a discount on this one. It goes against the way I shop, but there’s no good result that will come out of asking for a discount on a Hot SS model. I know you know that but I’m just pointing out that if you knew the answer then why ask? Again, I’m not condoning the way you were treated. It could have easily been laughed off and followed up with a courteous “take it or leave it” kind of response.

Old 13 June 2020, 02:16 PM   #116
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Here's a bit of free advise and the best advice you're going to get today.

Buying any sought after SS Rolex in this day and age is nothing like just strolling into your average car dealer and buying a f****n car.

You should consider yourself quite lucky to have been able to see the watches in the flesh let alone handle them.

Some people have difficulty just getting a look at what they think they're after.

I should consider myself lucky to see Rolex in person? I’m sorry I don’t worship at the same alter as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
I don’t understand, you want to buy a watch spending or willing to spend many thousands of dollars for something which is called luxury hard to find on the market and you are trying not to pay taxes? You know he’s paying taxes on his shops.
Cmon :)
He was rude but you need to see his side also

Yes, I understand how it works. So when you go to a luxury car dealership do you just roll in and say “I’ll take it!” with whatever price is listed on the car plus taxes and tabs, or do you try to work yourself a nice deal? Why is buying a nice watch that much different? If you can do that, you’re a baller and I commend you. I’m not quite on that level. Like I said, I would have been fine if my offer was politely declined, but it was extremely rudely declined and I was cut off and kicked out of the store.

Old 13 June 2020, 02:17 PM   #117
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that you made a tactical error walking into a major market AD and asking for a discount on an in-demand model. While it's certainly not good business practice to be rude to a customer, dealing with the general public day in and day out can be stressful in an of itself. Who knows what kind of of yayhoos they've had in there this week wasting everybody's time.

I say this as someone who had a good friend that was the proprietor of a shop that bought and sold expensive goods and the stories he would tell about some of the people that darkened his door would make you cringe. I witnessed it myself on several occasions.

You certainly have a choice as to where you spend your money, and I've "fired" several business in my time, but after that you got to let it go and move on.
Certainly a major tactical error.
I can get anything I want from my preferred dealer and have an amazing relationship with them, but I would never ever think to ask for a discount on an in demand SS Rolex and happily pay full retail price without batting an eyelid.
That's not say that discounts aren't available on meat and potatoes references.
Old 13 June 2020, 02:23 PM   #118
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I should consider myself lucky to see Rolex in person? I’m sorry I don’t worship at the same alter as you.
Sorry Old Mate.
There's no worshiping here. Far from it.
Now go and get some life experience and hone those negotiating skills
Old 13 June 2020, 02:27 PM   #119
opaline460
"TRF" Member

I might told him watch out for da online review!
Old 13 June 2020, 02:27 PM   #120
khooper
Banned

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I think most of us have had some negative experiences with ADs

Over a year ago I went to Prestons on Bolton in Wilmslow. The store manager Akash Rajput was super rude. He said they only liked to deal with footballers.
Closed Thread

Tags
alvin goldfarb , rolex