The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 April 2017, 02:55 AM   #31
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
I can usually spot re-lumed/colour-matched hands immediately anyway, so, for me at least, that kills it. The texture and colour is never the same as the original Tritium, however hard they try. Some sellers seem to like doing it to a great many of their wares, and I always think... "Oh, but why?" Why not at least let prospective buyers see them in their original state first, and then decide, before just going ahead with it and spoiling the original integrity of the watch? Of course, some are likely very necessary to 'repair' before any presentation, but my guess is a good few get done when they needn't have been.

There's also - again IMHO - an irrational fear of 'what if particles of loose lume fall in the movement?' OMG! Alert the media! I doubt it will destroy the movement, in the short term. It wouldn't be long before the offending missing chunks of lume made their absence known to the passionately enthusiastic - 'obsessed'? and I speak for myself, too - owner, noticed. It would survive a crumb or two of ancient Tritium, before being sped away to the nearest emergency watch-doctor. They're largely made of Swiss steel, not Swiss chocolate... or cheese...

x2. There's are a couple of things that bug me on vintage Rolexes, but near the top of the list is mismatched patina on the dial and hands. Stabilizing hands, even when done very well, will often change their color/patina, from slightly to a lot.

And as for crumbling tritium from hands ... People often write about their fears of movement damage, but I've always wondered how the tritium actually gets from the hands/dial, and into the movement. There are no gaping holes or gaps that allow that, right? Surely any loose tritium would just sit on the dial surface, and would be noticed before being taken care of (as noted above).

In a worst-case scenario, I'd rather just try to track down an original set of tritium hands and swap 'em out. (Easier said than done, of course.)
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 03:06 AM   #32
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
This watch has had some lume repair and stabilization. Un-noticeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (72.0 KB, 132 views)
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 04:03 AM   #33
cowboy music
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Question: What kind of risk, if any, is there of damaging the dial if the lume falls out of the hands?
cowboy music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 04:23 AM   #34
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy music View Post
Question: What kind of risk, if any, is there of damaging the dial if the lume falls out of the hands?
It can get into the movement and cause issues.
Old 25 April 2017, 04:50 AM   #35
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
And as for crumbling tritium from hands ... People often write about their fears of movement damage, but I've always wondered how the tritium actually gets from the hands/dial, and into the movement. There are no gaping holes or gaps that allow that, right? Surely any loose tritium would just sit on the dial surface, and would be noticed before being taken care of (as noted above).
The date aperture.

(If you have a watch with a date...)
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 05:46 AM   #36
cowboy music
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
It can get into the movement and cause issues.
Yes, but my question is whether there is any risk of damage to the dial itself. Is the lume hard, and is it possible that it might scratch the surface of the dial?
cowboy music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 05:49 AM   #37
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, but my question is whether there is any risk of damage to the dial itself. Is the lume hard, and is it possible that it might scratch the surface of the dial?
Doubt it. But some of the older Rolex's has some shitty paint on the dial. So no telling.
Old 25 April 2017, 06:20 AM   #38
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
This watch has had some lume repair and stabilization. Un-noticeable.
Nice watch!
Old 25 April 2017, 06:38 AM   #39
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Same question I asked RSC Dallas!

Quote:
I asked the same question to RCS Dallas to 3 different service reps (they took a while getting back to me on the answer and I had to call multiple days while they kept my watch). Each person told me that the tritium could come in through the "date aperture." I politely explained that the 5513 has no date function and therefore no date aperture.

Each time they said they would go speak to the technician and get back to me. Never got an explanation as to how it could get into the movement on a no date watch.
Old 26 April 2017, 07:47 AM   #40
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Nice watch!
Thanks, it was a customers watch we worked on.
Old 29 April 2017, 12:56 AM   #41
saskmh
"TRF" Member

As far as damage, I've actually had a gloss dial watch with lume that fell out and got stuck under the hour hand. the movement of the hour hand with the clump of lume stuck underneath scratched the lacquer on the dial. Loose lume inside a watch is just just a bad thing.

Tags
5513 , hands , lume , stabilize , tritium