The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 September 2018, 03:25 AM   #1
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Exact year for DRSD?

Hello,
I'm in the process of having a DRSD shipped from overseas and just wanted to get a sense of the exact year of the watch. I've seen a couple of different lists that give very different years.

The serial number starts with 420XXXX.
On one chart, it looks like it's a 1974 and on another, it's a 1977.

Any way to know exactly what year it was produced?

The paperwork has it being sold in 1979, which wouldn't be out of the question since it is a specialized watch being a Sea Dweller, so it could have sat in the case for a couple of years.

TY!
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 06:46 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaSubmariner View Post
Hello,
I'm in the process of having a DRSD shipped from overseas and just wanted to get a sense of the exact year of the watch. I've seen a couple of different lists that give very different years.

The serial number starts with 420XXXX.
On one chart, it looks like it's a 1974 and on another, it's a 1977.

Any way to know exactly what year it was produced?

The paperwork has it being sold in 1979, which wouldn't be out of the question since it is a specialized watch being a Sea Dweller, so it could have sat in the case for a couple of years.

TY!
Definitely closer to 1974 with a 4.2 million serial. Exact dating on Rolexes is always tricky, but I think you're safe to say '74-'75. Agree that the sale date wouldn't seem too out of line.

However .... who cares!? The important thing is you're getting a DRSD! Lucky guy. I'm jealous. Big congrats! How about some photos?

Man, I miss mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1665-2a copy.jpg (272.7 KB, 284 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 08:22 AM   #3
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
Here are a couple of pics from the seller. It looks completely unpolished and all original. It has such a great patina to the dial as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (14).1.jpg (159.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).1.jpg (272.8 KB, 282 views)
Old 23 September 2018, 02:22 AM   #4
ianmcg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks!
Here are a couple of pics from the seller. It looks completely unpolished and all original. It has such a great patina to the dial as well.
Did the seller say "it's completely unpolished and all original"?

I'm afraid it isn't - compare the insert and crystal to the one in the photo above. It's a service insert and crystal. Not the end of the world and fixable in theory but not what most people would call original.

Ian
ianmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 10:32 AM   #5
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcg View Post
Did the seller say "it's completely unpolished and all original"?

I'm afraid it isn't - compare the insert and crystal to the one in the photo above. It's a service insert and crystal. Not the end of the world and fixable in theory but not what most people would call original.

Ian
Nope, the seller never claimed it was all original.

An "original" insert and crystal aren't that hard to source. A polished case can't be unpolished. That's what I'm most stocked about. I'll find out for sure Monday morning when it arrives.
Old 23 September 2018, 01:54 PM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Nope, the seller never claimed it was all original.

An "original" insert and crystal aren't that hard to source. A polished case can't be unpolished. That's what I'm most stocked about. I'll find out for sure Monday morning when it arrives.
That watch you posted is not unpolished.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 03:14 AM   #7
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Would someone that's more of an expert than me please take a look at the dial on this watch? I'm having a hard time figuring if it's a Mark III or Mark IV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macro Dial DRSD.jpg (114.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Macro Dial DRSD 2.jpg (71.4 KB, 244 views)
Old 24 September 2018, 07:09 AM   #8
ianmcg
"TRF" Member

It's a IV
Old 24 September 2018, 07:15 AM   #9
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
Yep.
rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 04:21 PM   #10
mdw3
"TRF" Member

In my opinion, based only on the few photos provided, that dial is a Mk. Fake. And the hands too.

(cf., for comparison)

https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/i...format&usm=12&

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 11:14 PM   #11
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw3 View Post
In my opinion, based only on the few photos provided, that dial is a Mk. Fake. And the hands too.

(cf., for comparison)

https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/i...format&usm=12&

Michael
How can I tell for sure when I get the watch?
I put this up because I thought the fonts were off. I wanted to see if anyone else would see this without me leading anyone down that path. The fonts all look off to me. Are there any variances of the dials?

I'm receiving it today and I purchased it through eBay, where it's guaranteed to be what the seller states it is. If not, it's completely covered under their sale policy.
I would need to get this verified rather quickly. My local AD isn't the best at vintage Rolex's.
Old 25 September 2018, 12:07 AM   #12
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Some of the number charts are simply wrong. Certainly not 1974. 1977 makes sense.

It's not a Mark I, as the SEA-DWELLER text is too wide and in a larger typeface than the red text below it.

It's not a Mark II, as the coronet is a different shape and the 6 is closed.

It's not a Mark III, as the L of ROLEX sits under the middle of the coronet and the depth rating is simply too big.

As for a Mark IV, which might be correct for the number range....that triangle at 12 looks too squat and too wide at its top edge, while I don't like some of the text alignment or the shape of the coronet.

Haywood
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:32 AM   #13
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
How can I tell for sure when I get the watch?
I put this up because I thought the fonts were off. I wanted to see if anyone else would see this without me leading anyone down that path. The fonts all look off to me. Are there any variances of the dials?

I'm receiving it today and I purchased it through eBay, where it's guaranteed to be what the seller states it is. If not, it's completely covered under their sale policy.
I would need to get this verified rather quickly. My local AD isn't the best at vintage Rolex's.
Can you post the link to the eBay sale?

At a minimum that case is definitely polished. Just compare it to the lugs on my (former) DRSD that I posted. I'm not saying that alone is necessary a problem, as long as the seller didn't state otherwise.

As for the other points ... I'd take a close look at the different DRSD dials listed on this site, if you haven't already: http://www.drsd.com
Old 25 September 2018, 12:40 AM   #14
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

At a minimum that case is definitely polished. Just compare it to the lugs on my (former) DRSD that I posted. I'm not saying that alone is necessary a problem, as long as the seller didn't state otherwise.
Here's the original eBay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rol...rdt=true&rt=nc

No, it doesn't state that it's not been polished. My untrained eye thought that it might have been unpolished, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. A deal breaker would be a fake dial, which this one is not looking good ATM.

Anyone have any recommendations for someone I can take this watch to and have verified? My local AD doesn't know much at all about vintage watches.
I'm located about 1 hour outside of Philly. About 2 hours from NYC. It'd be worth it for me to travel there to verify.

I've already let the seller know that there might be an issue with the dial. This was before I received the watch via FedEx. It's sitting on my desk now as I just got it about 10 minutes ago. I'm going to video me opening the package shortly.

I paid through CC on eBay so I'm fully covered via their guarantee. It's the only reason I did the purchase.
I ran into an issue with a completely fake Tudor a while back. The seller initially stated that there were "no returns", but they took the watch back and gave me a full refund no problem.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:24 AM   #15
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Update: The seller responded immediately to my concerns. He stated that he had the watch authenticated by three different experts in Germany and Switzerland.
Of course, I requested their names.

He also said that if I'm not completely satisfied, I can send the watch back for a full refund.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:45 AM   #16
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As for the other points ... I'd take a close look at the different DRSD dials listed on this site, if you haven't already: http://www.drsd.com
Yes, I used www.drsd.com to do most of the recon on this and the main reason why I'm posting this up in the first place. Bells and whistles went off when I saw the font wasn't bold for the 2000m = 610ft.
Now, other things are creeping up as well.

More than likely, there was an issue with the original dial and someone faked this one. While it's decent, it isn't close to being authentic.

The seller responded again, VERY quickly with one of the appraisers in Germany, but I'm not convinced. There are too many red flags.
I've opted to send the watch back for a full refund. The seller is very stand up and very responsive. So far, so good. We'll see how this goes.
Old 25 September 2018, 02:17 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, I used www.drsd.com to do most of the recon on this and the main reason why I'm posting this up in the first place. Bells and whistles went off when I saw the font wasn't bold for the 2000m = 610ft.
Now, other things are creeping up as well.

More than likely, there was an issue with the original dial and someone faked this one. While it's decent, it isn't close to being authentic.

The seller responded again, VERY quickly with one of the appraisers in Germany, but I'm not convinced. There are too many red flags.
I've opted to send the watch back for a full refund. The seller is very stand up and very responsive. So far, so good. We'll see how this goes.
Too much money at stake for ANY doubt about authenticity. You're doing the right thing.
Old 25 September 2018, 02:21 AM   #18
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Too much money at stake for ANY doubt on authenticity. You're doing the right thing.
My thoughts exactly. It could have been a "great deal" if it were authentic, but I'm definitely not convinced at all. Way too many issues with this.
Old 25 September 2018, 06:41 AM   #19
ianmcg
"TRF" Member

Not that it needs any more nails in this coffin but as somebody said the hands are wrong too. The second hand is obviously all wrong. The short end of the second hand is way too short - the end blob should pass above the centre of the Mercedes shape of the hour hand (same as on subs). Other dimensions are off too.

Find a proper dealer and pay the extra - it's well worth it.
Old 25 September 2018, 07:04 AM   #20
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcg View Post
Not that it needs any more nails in this coffin but as somebody said the hands are wrong too. The second hand is obviously all wrong. The short end of the second hand is way too short - the end blob should pass above the centre of the Mercedes shape of the hour hand (same as on subs). Other dimensions are off too.

Find a proper dealer and pay the extra - it's well worth it.
I saw the hands were off when I was comparing it to my Red Sub. I looked closer at the macro photos and then it was completely obvious.
The more I looked at the dial, the more I could find wrong with it.

The watch is already on its way back. So far, the seller has been stellar in his responses and offered a full refund immediately (even before I received the watch). I asked if he had any way of getting his money back from the shop he bought it from (said he bought it in Heidelberg). He said he's probably going to take the watch back himself or take it directly to Geneva.

So, anyone out there that is selling a DRSD, I'm in the market again
I would prefer fully documented, but that would have to be a Mk IV. I'd be interested in a Mk III as a watch only.
Old 25 September 2018, 07:21 AM   #21
Woody
"TRF" Member

Vintage Rolex is not a world in which one should be seeking a bargain buy...... "ianmcg" has provided you with some excellent advice....find a top-rated dealer and pay through the nose for a quality example. It will save you a lot of heartache. Good luck with your search.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:35 AM   #22
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Vintage Rolex is not a world in which one should be seeking a bargain buy...... "ianmcg" has provided you with some excellent advice....find a top-rated dealer and pay through the nose for a quality example. It will save you a lot of heartache. Good luck with your search.
Yes, I've already come to that conclusion and am going to stick with that mindset.
The problem is, finding one from a trusted seller. They seem to be hard to come bye.
Old 25 September 2018, 09:07 AM   #23
Grimm
"TRF" Member

Sorry, glad you’re getting your money back though. Some smart folks in this thread.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 09:12 AM   #24
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Sorry, glad you’re getting your money back though. Some smart folks in this thread.
This is a fantastic community. I had my suspicions before I even received the watch. TRF chimed in with their thoughts and helped me conclude that I was correct.
Old 25 September 2018, 09:13 AM   #25
Grimm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a fantastic community. I had my suspicions before I even received the watch. TRF chimed in with their thoughts and helped me conclude that I was correct.
good luck on the ongoing hunt.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 11:19 PM   #26
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Everyone, check this listing out:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232928037192?ul_noapp=true

The dial looks to have the EXACT same issues as the one I purchased on eBay.
I actually contacted them to let them know the issues. They've been responsive and receptive to my comments. Of course they said that they had an "expert" look at the watch and verified it. I suggested that they go to another expert because there are glaring issues with the entire dial.

Wow, how we get an education quickly!

Thoughts?
Old 26 September 2018, 11:39 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Definitely closer to 1974 with a 4.2 million serial. Exact dating on Rolexes is always tricky, but I think you're safe to say '74-'75. Agree that the sale date wouldn't seem too out of line.

However .... who cares!? The important thing is you're getting a DRSD! Lucky guy. I'm jealous. Big congrats! How about some photos?

Man, I miss mine!
What happened to this one Aaron Such a beauty, I can see why you miss it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 09:52 AM   #28
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Refund has been sent. Will be posted in the next 48 hours.
Ebay took care of this. The seller said he had an issue with Paypal and asked that I escalate it through eBay. Done.
Old 4 October 2018, 06:11 PM   #29
Xantiagib
"TRF" Member

glad it all worked out - could have been nasty - mk.redial or mk.fake was obvious to a few trained eyes here - the three 'experts' are on the payroll obviously
Xantiagib is offline   Reply With Quote