The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 September 2018, 10:29 AM   #1
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Question about a SpeedMaster

Hi All,

Have had this SpeedMaster Moon watch for decades. Has the certification for space stamped in the back.

What do I look for and where do I look to find it. So I can find out which watch it is.

The face (As far as I can tell) and the band match the "Pre Moon" watches I see but it is post moon.

Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 11:04 AM   #2
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

When words fail you, use a picture.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:09 PM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin camping View Post
Hi All,

Have had this SpeedMaster Moon watch for decades. Has the certification for space stamped in the back.

What do I look for and where do I look to find it. So I can find out which watch it is.

The face (As far as I can tell) and the band match the "Pre Moon" watches I see but it is post moon.

Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Greetings Milo. The most comprehensive answer to your question is stamped in the form of a couple of numbers inside the case-back of your watch, and on the inside of the clasp of its bracelet. These are the manufacturer's reference numbers describing the model of the watch and the model of the bracelet. From there, we can estimate the period when it probably was produced and originally sold to its first owner (you?).

Without opening the case to see the reference number, we may be able to figure out some of these details about your watch by looking at photos of the watch and the bracelet/clasp.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 01:35 PM   #4
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Thanks to the two members who helped out. Let me put up some pics so you are not guessing in the dark.

The numbers on the hasp are.

First line
11 in a circle
Stainless Steel
Omega symbol in a triangle

Second line
Omega

Hopefully this added info will help.

I know it looks rough but truth to be told. This watch has been at work for many years.

Thank you for your help.
Old 25 September 2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Nurseford25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega’s/Sub
Inside the back of the caseback will tell you all you need to know. I’m guessing maybe a 145.022.
Nurseford25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 08:05 PM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, cool watch, Milo! I agree with Adam that it's probably a reference 145.022, and I'm guessing from the style of its dial (not the "stepped" shape) and from its bracelet (the lovely reference 1171) that it was produced and sold originally in the late '70s.

You're correct that this is the reference that NASA issued to crew members for use on missions.

How long have you had it? I think we would enjoy hearing its story
Old 26 September 2018, 01:09 AM   #7
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I agree mostly with AEC. This could be a bit earlier, but certainly post-68 with the 821 movement. That movement was not issued (during the Apollo program) as those were all 1967 vintage with the 321 movement. (I have the serial range around somewhere)
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 03:30 AM   #8
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
I agree mostly with AEC. This could be a bit earlier, but certainly post-68 with the 821 movement. That movement was not issued (during the Apollo program) as those were all 1967 vintage with the 321 movement. (I have the serial range around somewhere)
Ah, yes, thanks for clarifying: watches issued for the earliest Apollo missions were models using caliber 321. Astronauts serving in NASA programs since Apollo did continue to use the Speedmaster Professional in versions housing caliber 861/1861 on their missions (mainly Shuttle missions).

I don't know how familiar the TRF membership is with the late Chuck Maddox and the repository of his writing that survives on the Internet, so I'll include a link here for members interested in poking around Chuck's site. He did what appears to be exhaustive research into the watches worn in space, and he was generally accepted as the consummate authority on these matters

This link goes straight to the page on Chuck's blog about watches worn on or near the moon:

http://chronomaddox.com/moonmovement.html
Old 26 September 2018, 03:45 AM   #9
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Wow, cool watch, Milo! I agree with Adam that it's probably a reference 145.022, and I'm guessing from the style of its dial (not the "stepped" shape) and from its bracelet (the lovely reference 1171) that it was produced and sold originally in the late '70s.

You're correct that this is the reference that NASA issued to crew members for use on missions.

How long have you had it? I think we would enjoy hearing its story
Not much of a story really. Back in the 80's. I had an antique Gen 1 SA Piece of machinery from Sam Colts factory and a guy went bananas over it.

He offered up this watch which I really liked the looks of. So even though I didn't know the value of the watch then (And still don't now.) It was just too cool to pass up.

Just wore it or my other watch. This one still gets a lot of wear even though the lumens died. Feels nice on the wrist and is pleasing to the eye.

Thought about getting a newer or swanker one (Do love that Panda dial.) but I know I would still wear this one.