The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 January 2021, 02:34 AM   #1
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
PP 5270P - is it worth?

hi guys, I have long admired the PP 5270P and recently found a price of 163k for a brand new watch.
I know that it is a slow moving stock given its higher price and 4-year production so far.
To support my purchase, I intend to trade my PP 5711 white (dated 2020+hacking movement), 5960/1A white (dated 2016) and cash.
is it worth to do so?
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 03:20 AM   #2
Partekular
"TRF" Member

It’s a great watch but what a price!

Have you considered buying a 5172G and a 5320G to get a matching pair - a chronometer and a perpetual calendar?

That way you get two watches for different occasions and a large chunk of change.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 04:45 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Trade in 2 SS watches for a Platinum flagship watch from Patek? If you want to play with the big boys, for sure!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 07:21 AM   #4
fbx
"TRF" Member

I absolutely would upgrade to the 5270p. Flagship PCC model. Versatile enough to wear in almost any environment. No brainer IMO
fbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 08:38 AM   #5
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Trade in 2 SS watches for a Platinum flagship watch from Patek? If you want to play with the big boys, for sure!
do you mean this is not a good decision?
Old 28 January 2021, 08:39 AM   #6
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbx View Post
I absolutely would upgrade to the 5270p. Flagship PCC model. Versatile enough to wear in almost any environment. No brainer IMO
5270p is very versatile, depending on the watch strap, to suit any occasion
Old 28 January 2021, 08:41 AM   #7
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
It’s a great watch but what a price!

Have you considered buying a 5172G and a 5320G to get a matching pair - a chronometer and a perpetual calendar?

That way you get two watches for different occasions and a large chunk of change.
i'd love to have both functions in a watch, so I get the trade-off. also I find that platinum is more compelling than the softer white gold.
Old 28 January 2021, 01:20 PM   #8
nycpassat
"TRF" Member

I would absolutely do it!
nycpassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 02:09 PM   #9
Oryx
"TRF" Member

i would do it - I think they got everything right with the 5270P.
Oryx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 06:25 PM   #10
Partekular
"TRF" Member

It is a fabulous watch... but it’s not self winding - 55-65 hours max reserve. So you can either deal with resetting it, which is a bore, or taking it with you on holidays and wherever you go - however dodgy the area...

With the two I suggested you halve the theft loss risk and the 5320 can be left on a winder when away with the 5172.

Two watches for two dressing occasions and or moods...

Added benefit - one watch can be serviced leaving the other on your wrist.

Plus there’s the saved cash...

Plus there’s the larger and more liquid resale market.

Having said all that the watch is not to be sniffed at! It’s a great piece of horological creation.

Do let us know which way you go.. A hard decision and good luck!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 07:25 PM   #11
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is a fabulous watch... but it’s not self winding - 55-65 hours max reserve. So you can either deal with resetting it, which is a bore, or taking it with you on holidays and wherever you go - however dodgy the area...

With the two I suggested you halve the theft loss risk and the 5320 can be left on a winder when away with the 5172.

Two watches for two dressing occasions and or moods...

Added benefit - one watch can be serviced leaving the other on your wrist.

Plus there’s the saved cash...

Plus there’s the larger and more liquid resale market.

Having said all that the watch is not to be sniffed at! It’s a great piece of horological creation.

Do let us know which way you go.. A hard decision and good luck!
thanks mate for your advice!
Old 28 January 2021, 08:06 PM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:

I could totally understand your rationale and it is a great advice.

My view is the PCC is the DNA of Patek and serious collectors should own one of these fantastic creation in their collection. I do not own one yet and would love to add 1 eventually, hopefully the 5270p. If not the next reiteration will be fine too.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 08:20 PM   #13
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

So I love the 5270p (and the 5270J).
They got the dial design right after a few too many failed attempts.
Great watch.
Great movement.

The only problem with all 5270’s is the the older 5970. The latter has been made in far smaller numbers but more importantly is even better looking - and at 40mm will suit all wrists.
The 5970 is basically one of the greatest, most iconic, watches ever made.

To go for the lovely 5270p, you’ve got to really want that extra size and pink dial, which is fine by the way.

Upgrading is a no brainer - but it’s a tough choice between 5970 and 5270 (for me).

Love the 5270p
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 08:44 PM   #14
ragsk
Banned

Lovely watch but complete PITA for people who actually want to wear it regularly but not daily.

I love the look and feel of the watch but no self winding = not buying it for me. I value history and tradition but not at the expense of convenience and usability. I just don't have the dedication to keep winding it almost daily whilst its part of a larger rotating watch collection.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 09:46 PM   #15
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I could totally understand your rationale and it is a great advice.

My view is the PCC is the DNA of Patek and serious collectors should own one of these fantastic creation in their collection. I do not own one yet and would love to add 1 eventually, hopefully the 5270p. If not the next reiteration will be fine too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Great watch.
Great movement.

The only problem with all 5270’s is the the older 5970. The latter has been made in far smaller numbers but more importantly is even better looking - and at 40mm will suit all wrists.

To go for the lovely 5270p, you’ve got to really want that extra size and pink dial, which is fine by the way.

Upgrading is a no brainer - but it’s a tough choice between 5970 and 5270 (for me).

Love the 5270p
I indeed study a comparison of the 5970g vs. 5270p with salmon dial. I feel that 5270p is more contemporary and looks more casual than his older brother 5970, and it suits my casual lifestyle with shorts and t-shirt
Old 28 January 2021, 09:49 PM   #16
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Lovely watch but complete PITA for people who actually want to wear it regularly but not daily.

I love the look and feel of the watch but no self winding = not buying it for me. I value history and tradition but not at the expense of convenience and usability. I just don't have the dedication to keep winding it almost daily whilst its part of a larger rotating watch collection.
I get your view. I have 6 watches to wear each per day , and I love the moments I wind these self-winding watches on a daily basis. to me it is the occasion I can admire the beauty of each watch
Old 28 January 2021, 10:17 PM   #17
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huydoan View Post
I get your view. I have 6 watches to wear each per day , and I love the moments I wind these self-winding watches on a daily basis. to me it is the occasion I can admire the beauty of each watch
You are way more dedicated than I am
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 12:23 AM   #18
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
do you mean this is not a good decision?
It really depends on what type of collector you are. If you like to get the latest popular model and flip it in a year and repeat, then the 5270P may not be for you. If you are a serious long-term collector, then a PCC in one version or another fits into your collection. Most long-term collector with a serious interest in Patek Philippe will own a 5270, 5970 or one of its predecessors. As to the metal type, it is a personal preference. Platinum Pateks are special watches and they also have a place in the collection of serious long-term collectors. I have owned the 5270G-001 for many years as I bought it new from an AD and for me it is a long-term keeper. The platinum is great, but for me the dial color is not to my liking.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:00 AM   #19
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Great watch.
Great movement.

Love the 5270p
Good point. I prefer the 5970s over the 5270s.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:36 AM   #20
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
It really depends on what type of collector you are. If you like to get the latest popular model and flip it in a year and repeat, then the 5270P may not be for you. If you are a serious long-term collector, then a PCC in one version or another fits into your collection. Most long-term collector with a serious interest in Patek Philippe will own a 5270, 5970 or one of its predecessors. As to the metal type, it is a personal preference. Platinum Pateks are special watches and they also have a place in the collection of serious long-term collectors. I have owned the 5270G-001 for many years as I bought it new from an AD and for me it is a long-term keeper. The platinum is great, but for me the dial color is not to my liking.

A year ago I thought collecting ss sport watch was great, but the more hype in the sport watch market slowly changed my flavor. I now feel more comfortable with less sporty watch like 5196p. One of the reasons I consider 5270p is the numerals to match with my 5196p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 January 2021, 01:38 AM   #21
fuigo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Good point. I prefer the 5970s over the 5270s.

Curious about the estimates on the production number for 5270P. Does anyone actually have an idea? I personally don’t think more production years necessarily means more production units. After all, the past few years were not so nice to non-steel models...

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
fuigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:56 AM   #22
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wish I had your mindset, I end up not wearing certain watches for ages due to the chore in winding them!
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 02:09 AM   #23
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuigo View Post
Curious about the estimates on the production number for 5270P. Does anyone actually have an idea? I personally don’t think more production years necessarily means more production units. After all, the past few years were not so nice to non-steel models...

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
are you the guy in watchprosite that has 5270p and 5960a? which do you end up with to wear more frequently?
Old 29 January 2021, 02:11 AM   #24
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
I wish I had your mindset, I end up not wearing certain watches for ages due to the chore in winding them!
a hobby to slow down myself in the fast paced city life ...
Old 29 January 2021, 02:17 AM   #25
fuigo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
are you the guy in watchprosite that has 5270p and 5960a? which do you end up with to wear more frequently?

Pretty evenly split between the two. I find them equally wearable daily. I’m mostly in slacks and shirts to work and T-shirts on weekends. Climate can be the deciding factor. I prefer bracelets in hot weather. I actually got some leather straps for 5960a and a metal bracelet for 5270p. I find changing them is quite fun and make the watches versatile.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Old 29 January 2021, 10:18 AM   #26
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
I indeed study a comparison of the 5970g vs. 5270p with salmon dial. I feel that 5270p is more contemporary and looks more casual than his older brother 5970, and it suits my casual lifestyle with shorts and t-shirt
I prefer the 5270p over the 5970s because of the overall look - the track sub-dials, the Arabic numerals and the salmon dial. I like track style chronographs. The 5270p is the most beautiful Patek in the catalog IMO.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 10:40 AM   #27
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I prefer the 5270p over the 5970s because of the overall look - the track sub-dials, the Arabic numerals and the salmon dial. I like track style chronographs. The 5270p is the most beautiful Patek in the catalog IMO.
Old 29 January 2021, 11:04 AM   #28
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pretty evenly split between the two. I find them equally wearable daily. I’m mostly in slacks and shirts to work and T-shirts on weekends. Climate can be the deciding factor. I prefer bracelets in hot weather. I actually got some leather straps for 5960a and a metal bracelet for 5270p. I find changing them is quite fun and make the watches versatile.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Nice! Which bracelet is that from? I would love to have a bracelet on mine as well but seems like Patek doesn’t have any options available. Is that a Patek bracelet and if it is which reference was it made for? Thanks!
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 12:12 PM   #29
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
did you order white gold springbar for 5960? the bracelet on 5270 is also steel? looks great.
Old 29 January 2021, 06:21 PM   #30
fuigo
"TRF" Member

I got the bracelet for the 5270 here: https://www.watchgecko.com/beads-of-...el-watch-strap

No I didn't get white gold springbar for the 5960.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Nice! Which bracelet is that from? I would love to have a bracelet on mine as well but seems like Patek doesn’t have any options available. Is that a Patek bracelet and if it is which reference was it made for? Thanks!
Quote:
did you order white gold springbar for 5960? the bracelet on 5270 is also steel? looks great.