The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 January 2021, 09:01 AM   #31
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
I’ve been collecting watches for 15 years, and a RF poster for around 13 years on and off...

Historically I’ve barely paid any attention to sub forums and stuck to Rolex, as has my watch collection..

Back in November I bought a Speedmaster 3861, and have become totally obsessed with the brand, history, and Speedy community online. It’s fascinating I must say!

It does feel for me, that’s it a more ‘fun’ brand as a hobby and of course doesn’t bring with it the rigmarole of supply problems (so much). The bug has bitten and I have to say that my collection could well start to switch over the years as there are a good few Speedmaster models that interest me greatly... my Rolex’s have been pretty much ‘furloughed’ for 3 months!

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
I was drawn to Omega first, probably thanks to Bond. I have grown to love Rolex, along with a few other brands, but I still feel that deep down Omega is the last brand I would give up.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:37 AM   #32
bctimekeeper59
Banned

Yes, after getting my first Omega I was instantly hooked! I have several Rolex models still but continue to enjoy Omega. My favorite so far is the SMP ref. 210.32.42.21.04.001
The lume is mesmerizing with the polar dial as well.
bctimekeeper59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:04 PM   #33
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex, Omega, Tudor, Seiko are probably my favorite brands in order. Between Rolex and Omega, for me personally Rolex has depth while Omega is breadth. Meaning if you told you have to pick one of those two brands and pick ONE watch from just one brand for life, it's Rolex all the time. I'd be fairly happy with just a Sub, just a Daytona, etc for my entire life. More so than I'd be happy with just a Speedy Pro or SMP 300.

But if you told me I had to build out a collection of 5 or so watches and could only pick from one brand, it's easily Omega.

Heck there 3 different Omega divers alone that I really love - SMP 300, SM 300, and PO. There's several versions of the Speedy I like, and I also really like the Aqua Terra. I like Omega's dress watches better as well.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:22 PM   #34
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Omega(s) are fun! At a lower pricing point vs Daytona type money, they make a ton of sense. Variations also make collecting a nice adventure. I would say they are great companions to your Rolex. Few of mine :-)

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:12 PM   #35
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
While I lean toward Rolex, I am a big fan of Omega, my first premium watch was (and is) a Planet Ocean 2500D. I gaze at the 300M’s all the time, I think they are my favorite current dive watch, just wish they stayed at 40mm. And the Aqua Terra is a terrific all around watch, casual or dressy, great collection of straps and dials, competes well with so many other brands and models. Ironically, no interest in a Speedmaster, but then I’m not big on chronographs.

Fortunately I’m full up on Rolex, have the models I want, so don’t have to deal with all the supply and dealer issues. Plus, I’m not crazy about their latest offerings.
Old 25 January 2021, 04:55 AM   #36
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalako View Post
Nothing against Rolex, I own four and four Omega’s but on the Rolex forum there is too much about investment/pricing rather watches - especially amongst those new to the brand.
Rolex and omega are my favourite brands by far, both beautifully made so tough to pick a favourite so I’ll just carry on enjoying both.
I have a Datejust 126234 on Oyster and a SMP 300 black dial. The Rolex gets slightly greater time on the wrist only because it is a more comfortable watch.

But.... For those times I want to wear a diver with an old school tool vibe, its pretty hard to beat the new generation SMP. The old models did nothing for me, but this current model is impossible to beat at the price point, or a higher price point for that matter.

As for the comments made by Shalko, I couldn't agree more. The Rolex page of this forum is becoming annoying. I come here to read about watches. If I want to read about investments, I'll stick to the WSJ.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:45 AM   #37
T4RPXAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
My first luxury watch was a Seamaster back in 2007. I’ve owned multiple Omegas and love all of them. Then I was able to get my hands on the new Submariner 41mm from my AD. I don’t love Omega any less, but I definitely love my Sub more. To each their own. Rolex and Omega are Titans in the watch world. Own both and enjoy both.
268622 (wife’s)
T4RPXAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:07 PM   #38
278horn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
I love my 16610 and 16610lv Submariners but had a 2220.80 SMP as a daily wearer. I gave my SMP to my son who got submarine duty in the Navy. I figured I would daily wear my 16610.

I soon figured out I missed my SMP. I ended up getting a new SMP 42mm. After wearing it for two weeks, I'm not sure I will ever have a desire to wear my Rolexes again. I still believe that the Submariner is a better functional design in every aspect other than the movement, but The SMP just feels better on my wrist. Also, I've never owned a more accurate automatic watch than this SMP.
278horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:43 PM   #39
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
I do prefer my omega speedy pro to my rolex gmt, it cost have the price of the gmt and is every bit as good in terms of quality. The rolex only looks well on the bracelet IMO but the speedy pro looks great on bracelet, nato strap and the leather strap. Currently been enjoying the leather strap the past year maybe its time for the bracelet again. If i could only keep one of my watches it would be the omega 100% just such a beautiful watch.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:20 AM   #40
Kevain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
While I lean toward Rolex, I am a big fan of Omega, my first premium watch was (and is) a Planet Ocean 2500D. I gaze at the 300M’s all the time, I think they are my favorite current dive watch, just wish they stayed at 40mm. And the Aqua Terra is a terrific all around watch, casual or dressy, great collection of straps and dials, competes well with so many other brands and models. Ironically, no interest in a Speedmaster, but then I’m not big on chronographs.
This sounds all too familiar. PO 8500 here as a first, but all the rest... I'd love to dive into the 300M range at some point, and the speedmaster doesn't do it for me either.

I've wanted to love the Speedmaster for so long, and tried it many times over the past years. In pictures I love it (also pictures of it on my wrist), but when I look at it I find it doesn't excite me.

If forced, my Explorer is the last one to go for a variety of emotional reasons. I'd miss the PO though.
Kevain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:31 AM   #41
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
Omega(s) are fun! At a lower pricing point vs Daytona type money, they make a ton of sense. Variations also make collecting a nice adventure. I would say they are great companions to your Rolex. Few of mine :-)
I think this about sums it up perfectly
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:45 AM   #42
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevain View Post
This sounds all too familiar. PO 8500 here as a first, but all the rest... I'd love to dive into the 300M range at some point, and the speedmaster doesn't do it for me either.

I've wanted to love the Speedmaster for so long, and tried it many times over the past years. In pictures I love it (also pictures of it on my wrist), but when I look at it I find it doesn't excite me.

If forced, my Explorer is the last one to go for a variety of emotional reasons. I'd miss the PO though.
oh, yes, my Explorer, short hands and all ! Nothing in my collection is more reliable, versatile or durable. It was my third Rolex, had it been my first, it might have been my only.
Old 26 January 2021, 11:48 AM   #43
bejzv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post

Fortunately I’m full up on Rolex, have the models I want, so don’t have to deal with all the supply and dealer issues. Plus, I’m not crazy about their latest offerings.
Lol... we all are addicted.
bejzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 06:41 AM   #44
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Quote:
Nothing against Rolex, I own four and four Omega’s but on the Rolex forum there is too much about investment/pricing rather watches - especially amongst those new to the brand.
Rolex and omega are my favourite brands by far, both beautifully made so tough to pick a favourite so I’ll just carry on enjoying both.
Well said
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 07:17 AM   #45
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Quote:
Well said
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 08:39 AM   #46
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I went from Omega to Rolex due to better watch sizing by Rolex... the 3235 movement issue is irritating me though...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 11:13 PM   #47
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post

I agree. A long time Rolex guy here I’ve dipped my toe in Omega and it’s been very enjoyable. Finally ,watches you want to buy are in stock and there’s no AD waiting games. Omega quality is superb
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 02:02 AM   #48
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
My first luxury watches were all Omegas! Two ATs and a Planet Ocean. While I've come to love Rolex, I've sold them all save two DJs on Jubilees because they are the most comfortable watches I've ever worn. Unfortunately I find Omega's bracelets to really not have the same fit and finish, especially the larger clasps which are deadly sharp.

All that being said, I refuse any longer to play the "Chase the Rollie" game. I am on a couple "lists" for a new No Date Sub 41 but aside from that, no way. I walked into an AD the other day and walked out with one of the last Speedy 1861s ON MY WRIST. Nice discount too.

The best part? I was treated like my business really mattered!!!

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:19 AM   #49
subbie16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
I enjoy both brands and want more watches from both brands as well. I am a patient buyer because I have to be due to my financial situation, so it doesn't bother me too much to just wait for the Rolex I want because I couldn't just buy them all right away anyway.

It is nice to see a thread such as this that I half expected to watch go down in flames actually generate a good conversation. Well done everyone! When I read the title, I think we may be in for a locked thread, but I have actually enjoyed reading this one and a lot of posters have shared some nice insights and perspective.

Good point but also besides the money, it’s the trap of impulse buying then not liking the piece and selling and losing money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
subbie16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 06:53 PM   #50
JohnAM
"TRF" Member

Watch: SBGV011
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
Same here. My first love was/is Rolex. Growing up it was around me, my dad had one, my Uncle had one. I became enamoured with them.

Explorer, Submariner, GMT Master II, I loved them all.

Then Pierce Brosnan came along in my teens and I discovered Omega. That laser lume pip has been etched in my brain.

Overtime, while I love Rolex, I am very much thrown off by Dealer drama, countless wristrolls, divine experience after getting a call/text, countless social media personalities talking about hype and how to get one. I enjoy none of that.

On Omega side, its calmer, people talk about how 1861 is different from 3861 and which one to get.

Omega community look at photos of SMP Divers in appreciation and not envy because everyone can get one.

We also chat about accuracy, build quality and innovation on Omega's part. We also appreciate choice of dial colours and bracelets and the fact we can have one delivered to our home in the middle of this pandemic.

Its just a nicer experience TO ME. Sometimes, I glance over at the Rolex sub, I see the same 21 INCOMING, GOT THE TEXT threads, I raise my eyebrows, close my tab and head over to OF or here or WUS: Omega. Fun topics, what's your fav Omega dress watch? Suggest a leather strap for my speedy? A solid read about Omega Nekton Edition or NEW Omega Speedmaster 3861 and how it came into be...

So while Rolex will never leave me, RIGHT NOW, I enjoy Omega watches and community way more.

I share the same sentiment here. I bought a DJ for my 26th bday as the “pass-down watch,” making sure I had my name on the papers. Because of the current state of Rolex and the hype, I have been turned off and am actually thinking I will be trading in my DJ only 5 years later for the new Speedy. Kind of crazy to think I will have a collection of only GS/Seiko and Omega in the near future, but excited too!

JohnAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 11:15 PM   #51
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAM View Post
I share the same sentiment here. I bought a DJ for my 26th bday as the “pass-down watch,” making sure I had my name on the papers. Because of the current state of Rolex and the hype, I have been turned off and am actually thinking I will be trading in my DJ only 5 years later for the new Speedy. Kind of crazy to think I will have a collection of only GS/Seiko and Omega in the near future, but excited too!

I’m a big fan of Omega, too and who isn’t turned off by all the noise around Rolex availability these days? But I wouldn’t sell an otherwise fantastic timepiece (your 2015 DateJust) because of all the static. Keep it, wear it, enjoy it and expand where you are interested.
Old 31 January 2021, 11:58 PM   #52
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAM View Post

I have been an Omega fan first and have a few, but have always wanted to get a Rolex. I looked at some and nearly pulled the trigger, but hesitated on vintage or neo vintage pieces, and I now really missed the boat on those, I can't in good conscious pick up 5 digit Explorer or 4 digit DateJust now, prices have jumped too high.

With the pandemic, despite it not making sense to spend more money, I took the attitude that if the world was going to end (this was early days), I might as well finally go for a Rolex and I settled on the white dial OP 39... impossible to get, but I was waiting from my AD... then Sept 1st they discontinue the 39mm OPs. So then my SA recommends the Explorer and I agree, and after watching You Tube videos and reading articles, I decide that yes, this is the Rolex for me, was skeptical of the proportions at first, but after bombarding myself with video, I have grown to really like it. Even obsess over it. This without ever having the opportunity to try it in person because...well Rolex.

Fast forward to Jan and I see the new Speedmaster. Absorb everything I can about it, inquire at the Omega Boutique (none yet) and then last week Omega calls me and they have one for me (1st hesalite customer in my city, yay! I'm never first for anything...) I picked it up Thursday and I'm over the moon (Ha!).

It's so good, I'm not sure I want to pick up the Explorer if I ever get the call (But I will at least go look, and mostly likely I will buy it). Who am I kidding, I know I will

But I absolutely love my new Speedmaster, the bracelet and clasp are polarizing to some here, and a few can't stand it, but I will say it's so comfortable. The new Speedmaster is lighter wearing, has a thinner case, and a slightly shorter lug to lug. It wears incredibly on my wrist despite no micro adjust clasp. It's perfect.

In short I love it so much that I want to wear it as a daily, which I was slotting for the Explorer (when and if). If I have both it will be a very hard decision to put on a watch in the morning.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 04:47 PM   #53
Hardhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RPXAZ View Post
My first luxury watch was a Seamaster back in 2007. I’ve owned multiple Omegas and love all of them. Then I was able to get my hands on the new Submariner 41mm from my AD. I don’t love Omega any less, but I definitely love my Sub more. To each their own. Rolex and Omega are Titans in the watch world. Own both and enjoy both.
This! I love my 43mm planet ocean but was lucky enough to acquire a 41mm sub from the AD. I still love the PO, but it will either be sold or retired to the safe. This sub takes it to the next level in terms of comfort and watch satisfaction. This will be my go to watch for decades to come. Other than my gshock, for those times I know I’ll be rough on it.
Hardhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 03:43 AM   #54
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
Both great watches and i have both of each brand. But the omega makes a better and more appealing movement.
The Master Coaxial movements are truly great indeed. Antimagnetic resistance is essential nowadays, in a world surrounded by magnets everywhere.
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 10:23 AM   #55
rand8086
"TRF" Member

In hindsight, I'm glad that none of the 5 or 6 Rolex stores I visited to buy my first watch had any available for me to even look at let alone buy, as it led me on an interesting journey reading about George Daniels and his co-axial escapement and love for Breguet.

I ended up getting a second gen Planet Ocean in titanium with Daniel's famed co-axial instead of the Sub I initially thought I wanted, then a CK2998 which I bonded with at first sight, and finally a Breguet 5177 in rose gold for dressier occasions, none of which I would trade for anything Rolex currently offers.

The customer experience was on such a different level of enjoyment for me that I would never even consider stepping into a Rolex boutique again even though I think they are otherwise great watches.
rand8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 05:52 PM   #56
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
If we're all being completely honest, it's very difficult to say if any quality mechanical watch is that much "better" than others. Tudor/Omega/Rolex/Breitling/Tag Heuer even. All of these will last a lifetime with proper servicing. We all just need to find what makes us "tick."

I love Rolex. I think most of us here do. The designs are simple, handsome, classic. They'll never look dated. It's a great brand. I also won't buy one until they're back in stock. I take no joy in the chase. I feel dirty walking into an AD, striking up a conversation, and then looking over my shoulder before asking "You got any BLRO's in back?" You don't have to deal with that with Omega. If you see a watch that looks cool online, you can go to an AD and see it there. You can actually try on and compare models before purchasing. It's also a great, encouraging community. You want to change up straps, Great! Everyone loves to see a new strap.
To answer your first paragraph, while I agree WRT the brands you list, I would encourage you to check out the A. Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk Striking Time or any Zeitwerk.

On your second paragraph, I have walked into five Omega ADs and Boutiques (including today) asking to buy (or even just see) the 321 Ed White and the Speedy Snoopy 3. No one has had one and they all gave me the familiar Rolex lines ... they are rare, only VVIPs can get them ... that's an allocation piece that requires 100% deposit and then a long wait, but our list is hundreds long. So, are you saying I can get any Omega I want as long as it's not the ones I want?
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 01:51 AM   #57
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
To answer your first paragraph, while I agree WRT the brands you list, I would encourage you to check out the A. Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk Striking Time or any Zeitwerk.

On your second paragraph, I have walked into five Omega ADs and Boutiques (including today) asking to buy (or even just see) the 321 Ed White and the Speedy Snoopy 3. No one has had one and they all gave me the familiar Rolex lines ... they are rare, only VVIPs can get them ... that's an allocation piece that requires 100% deposit and then a long wait, but our list is hundreds long. So, are you saying I can get any Omega I want as long as it's not the ones I want?
I should have been more clear - the thread was comparing Rolex to Omega, not HH. There are obviously many brands built to a much higher standard than what I listed.

Yes, you can get any Omega you want with the exception of limited or special production models. There are too many caveats to make concerning every single watch and model and brand out there. My broader point is that Omega availability is leaps and bounds ahead of Rolex, and I'll stand by that. No one is waiting 12 months for a Seamaster or Planet Ocean or Aqua Terra or (regular) Speedmaster.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 03:50 AM   #58
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Omega is a fantastic brand and is definitely fun to collect. I would say perhaps more fun to collect than Rolex for the reasons the OP stated. I still love Rolex and always will, but I have branched out, found Tudor, Seiko, and have recently been admiring Omega.

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 08:40 AM   #59
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
I’ve been collecting watches for 15 years, and a RF poster for around 13 years on and off...

Historically I’ve barely paid any attention to sub forums and stuck to Rolex, as has my watch collection..

Back in November I bought a Speedmaster 3861, and have become totally obsessed with the brand, history, and Speedy community online. It’s fascinating I must say!

It does feel for me, that’s it a more ‘fun’ brand as a hobby and of course doesn’t bring with it the rigmarole of supply problems (so much). The bug has bitten and I have to say that my collection could well start to switch over the years as there are a good few Speedmaster models that interest me greatly... my Rolex’s have been pretty much ‘furloughed’ for 3 months!

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Me! I purchased my first Rolex (a Datejust) new in 1996 and still own it. Great versatile piece with a reliable 3135 movement. I also own a Sub 114060. About Omega. I’m absolutely thrilled with the brand for the same reasons. I own a Speedy FOIS with the Napa leather strap. My AT 38mm new edition blue dial is my daily. It helps that I have an Omega boutique in my home town. As an example, I wanted the blue rubber strap with the deployant for the AT. The AD took it off a new watch and sold it to me without waiting to order. Service and availability!
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 11:45 AM   #60
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Both brands belong in a collection of any significant size.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote