The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2020, 12:34 AM   #1
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
No Fans in the Stands

Personally I thought most sports would be boring without having the reactions from the crowd. But my two favorite sports, golf and hockey, have been great to watch so far.

NHL got creative with crowd noise and it seems to work. I would think that it helps motivate the players. The playoff games seem just as intense as normal.

Golf has added Charity Challenges on Wednesdays before each tournament. If you haven't watched one you should. It's four players split into two teams playing a skins format. Yesterday featured Pat Perez and he was very entertaining. They should do more events with golfers mic'd up and talking a little smack.

It will be interesting to see what the NFL and NCAA do.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:16 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Apparently the NHL fake noise is only available to the TV audience. The players don't hear it.

To the players the games are as quiet as the ones I play in. Not a fan to be found. Even the wives bailed on us years ago.

All we hear are the jeers from the opposing bench.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:24 AM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If anything, the speed of play in golf has improved. No pesky cellphone ringers, picture takers nor outbursts from unruly spectators to interrupt players as they prepare for shots.

No crowds to manage when shots lie beyond the ropes.

It’s really pure play and inner strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:34 AM   #4
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If anything, the speed of play in golf has improved. No pesky cellphone ringers, picture takers nor outbursts from unruly spectators to interrupt players as they prepare for shots.

No crowds to manage when shots lie beyond the ropes.

It’s really pure play and inner strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really nice not to hear some loudmouth shouting ‘get in the hole’ every time someone plays a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:37 AM   #5
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
It would have been great if they mic'd the hockey players up rather than add the false crowd noise.
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:40 AM   #6
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Really nice not to hear some loudmouth shouting ‘get in the hole’ every time someone plays a shot!

Or in hockey the dumb asses that stand up and bang on the glass all the time.

What kind of mental midget gets anything from that behavior.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:42 AM   #7
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexest View Post
It would have been great if they mic'd the hockey players up rather than add the false crowd noise.
They've done it to some players in All Star Games and occasionally during the season. But I think the sound guy would spend a lot of time bleeping out the trash talk and the swearing during "spirited" playoff encounters.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:43 AM   #8
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Golf and baseball have been great. Basketball has been fine. I haven't watched any hockey yet. If the NFL plays this year (which I don't think will happen) it will be curious to watch. Football is the only sport I watch where it seems like the fans play a really important role.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:17 AM   #9
austinp
"TRF" Member

Golf seems the same to me on tv. Baseball and hockey are fine to me without people in the stands. I am interested to see what football looks like. I do believe they will play. As long as I get SEC football all is good.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:25 AM   #10
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Golf and baseball have been great. Basketball has been fine. I haven't watched any hockey yet. If the NFL plays this year (which I don't think will happen) it will be curious to watch. Football is the only sport I watch where it seems like the fans play a really important role.
Funny you say that. Not sure if you go to many games live but the fans seems to make a major difference. During playoff times often it's deafening in the arena.

I think the fans actually can really get the blood flowing and get the players cranked up, in any sport.

The fans also "help" the refs make a lot of calls as well.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:41 AM   #11
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
But I think the sound guy would spend a lot of time bleeping out the trash talk and the swearing during "spirited" playoff encounters.
Which is too bad. It's not like no one has never heard anyone swear.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:52 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Which is too bad. It's not like no one has never heard anyone swear.
I'm sure every sport has them to some extent, but there are "character guys" in hockey throughout the years that have been famous trash talkers, non stop through the games, basically constantly yapping at anything that moved.

And not just after whistles and from the bench, but during the play, in the corners, yapping at the goalies, yapping during scrums in front of the net. Comments about their heritage, about their sexual preferences, about their mothers, their wives and girlfriends etc etc.

In the last few years that's all been toned down a ton. Now it's just basically how bad the player sucks , but it would have been interesting to hear some of those idiots back in their heyday. Anything to get the opposition player "off their game".

In the NHL Sean Avery was one of the last ones. Back a few years ago Esa Tikannen was another one. Only he was Finnish and most of the time nobody knew what the hell he was yapping about, not even the Finnish guys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD4ohtnBVmI
Old 14 August 2020, 03:17 AM   #13
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:21 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Or mashed potato ... never understood that one
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:26 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Or mashed potato ... never understood that one

Quote:

Rofl I was quoting token so I could say mashed potato!

It’s just people hammered being themselves. I’ve only been to the pga championship and for the most part people were calm and collected. There’s always some a**hat who has to be heard.
Old 14 August 2020, 08:29 AM   #16
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
They've done it to some players in All Star Games and occasionally during the season. But I think the sound guy would spend a lot of time bleeping out the trash talk and the swearing during "spirited" playoff encounters.
I think that’s the main reason why leagues are doing the fake crowd noise. They don’t want all the f-bombs coming across on tv.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 08:30 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I think that’s the main reason why leagues are doing the fake crowd noise. They don’t want all the f-bombs coming across on tv.
Good point.
Old 14 August 2020, 11:33 AM   #18
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I enjoy being able to better hear baseball players. Yesterday, Astros pitcher Zach Greinke (I fricken hate the Astros but love Greinke) played mind games with the Giants by calling out instructions back to the catcher, coaxing a pop out. A lot of cussing too, which I don’t know why they don’t just catch with a slight broadcasting delay. It’s colourful though. I’m grateful for the sports.

Think the canned crowd noise is just for vibe. (Can still hear all the naughty words.)
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 11:35 AM   #19
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexest View Post
I agree
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:39 PM   #20
Xenon
Banned

Sports is virtually unwatchable now and I can't listen to announcers anymore. Here is an example from a baseball game the other day:

“Now he hasn’t been hitting, but when he hits, he hits the ball very hard. His average exit velocity is 94.5 mph, the eighth highest in MLB.”

The batter had a .086 batting average at the time.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:48 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah... and fake fan sounds on TV has been going on for decades. Not just for today's sporting events, American Idiot, You Can't Dance, and others have it down to a fine-tuned formula for the TV audience. It adds fake 'excitement', or whatever feeling the producers desire to make their programming fit their narriative in hopes of better ratings.

Am sure many here would not be amazed at how often 'fan noise' on TV is fabricated.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 11:34 PM   #22
Hilts
"TRF" Member

Over here in the UK they have been playing crowd sounds in the cricket grounds along with the usual music depending on whether or not it's a Test or one-dayer.

Not bad but also not quite the same as having the crowd get behind a team or player when something significant happens.
Hilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:36 AM   #23
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
What’s up with all these NFL players opting out and still getting a pay check?

Thank god the nurses and doctors aren’t opting out of their profession.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:40 AM   #24
m56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Golf seems the same to me on tv. Baseball and hockey are fine to me without people in the stands. I am interested to see what football looks like. I do believe they will play. As long as I get SEC football all is good.

Football matches without fans are just not it...and like the NFL, the sound guy uses fake sounds to make it seem interesting to we viewers from the TV. It's just not nice.
m56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 03:09 AM   #25
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
No fans in the stands isn't a dealbreaker imo. But I find the paper cutouts highly creepy. Especially when they decide to put surgical masks on a portion of cardboard cutouts like they have been doing in some MLB. It's cardboard, geez.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 03:14 AM   #26
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Nobody around for the golfers to blame for errant shots but I do love watching the game I’m sure the players would prefer to have the fans back watching but I’m guessing that’s a long way off yet
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 04:11 AM   #27
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Have you noticed how low the scores have been on the PGA tour?
Makes sense though.
Lot less tension without the fans around.
Old 15 August 2020, 04:37 AM   #28
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Love both golf and hockey. Golf is way better for 2 reasons. No dumb ass shout outs are one but frankly the biggest reason is no more incessant clapping for every single shot like every one is good. They're not. Not even close.

I've played hockey almost since birth. Stopped short of Junior "A" level. Played very competitive levels all my life. One thing I can tell you. Competitive hockey players don't need crowd noise to rev up the intensity. The benches do a very good job of this on their own.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 04:57 AM   #29
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
What’s up with all these NFL players opting out and still getting a pay check?

Thank god the nurses and doctors aren’t opting out of their profession.
why compare doctors to professional athletes? they're not saving people and they're not here to entertain people at the expense of their health and their family's health. also theyre not getting their full paychecks, basically just a small advance (if that). they're giving up millions in a career that lasts an average of like 3 years
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 11:37 AM   #30
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
why compare doctors to professional athletes? they're not saving people and they're not here to entertain people at the expense of their health and their family's health. also theyre not getting their full paychecks, basically just a small advance (if that). they're giving up millions in a career that lasts an average of like 3 years

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote