The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 August 2019, 11:04 PM   #211
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I do not think you are understanding the Patek customer base. For every person coming on forums asking how to get a piece, there will be many who are simply Patek customers, they have been for years. They put their name down for a piece every few years and 6-12 months later their piece arrives, could be a complication, a grand complication or it could be a Nautilus or Aquanaut. Patek is all about protecting itself for the future and looking after it’s core customer base - market trends come and go.

ps Application pieces do happen contrary to your thoughts.
the trend to sports watches is much more than a market trend. it is a global change of life style and the watch market just shows one facet of it. i would not say it is irreversible but will last for many many years to come. surely that does not mean that there is no more place for more formal watches. there is but the niche is getting very small.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:15 PM   #212
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
the trend to sports watches is much more than a market trend. it is a global change of life style and the watch market just shows one facet of it. i would not say it is irreversible but will last for many many years to come. surely that does not mean that there is no more place for more formal watches. there is but the niche is getting very small.
Gentlemen, I think you are both right.

Russell is himself and is citing the core Patek collector group which will stay strong. However this group is generally getting annoyed by the Nautilus and Aquanaut fever and hope it passes.

The newer generation Patek collector is much more into Sports watches. However, darn, there is more to life and watches than Aquanauts and Nautiluses. Once you get one of each, its time to move on man :). We're actually still experimenting but will either join Russell's camp or we might end up being multi-brand loyalist but either way the buying and trading may slow down.

The third group are speculators and dealers. I think this group will grow and shrink with the bubble.
Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:21 PM   #213
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

Russell is himself and is citing the core Patek collector group which will stay strong. However this group is generally getting annoyed by the Nautilus and Aquanaut fever and hope it passes.

The newer generation Patek collector is much more into Sports watches. However, darn, there is more to life and watches than Aquanauts and Nautiluses. Once you get one of each, its time to move on man :). We're actually still experimenting but will either join Russell's camp or we might end up being multi-brand loyalist but either way the buying and trading may slow down.

The third group are speculators and dealers. I think this group will grow and shrink with the bubble.
i believe that 'the bubble' will burst sooner or later, simply for the reason that -contrary to what he claims all the time - thierry will surrender to the sports watch trend and increase the sports watch and in particular the steel watch quota - if it is not already happening now.
then we shall have the AP phenomenon over at patek.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:03 AM   #214
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
Decelerate? A few % fall is not going to change anything. Far too many are willing to pay £30,000 over retail for a steel 5711 they will not go away and will not wait. The 5711/1a is a £60,000 watch now, Patek should price it accordingly and stop dangling the carrot to those at the bottom of the lists.

It is not about killing anyone’s dreams it is reality. No one moans about application only pieces, why because they know it won’t happen, dreaming or writing endless post on forums won’t change it either. No offence intended just my opinion guys.
Oh I meant watch demand decelerate... It actually fell of a cliff in July aug. Swiss watch exports can be tracked.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:04 AM   #215
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
I’m not so sure. I deal with 2 ad’s and for certain they can’t get sports models but, and crucially it is a but, they also can’t get enough dress pieces to keep their supposed store stock up to Patek spec. I’m not saying the dress pieces walk out the door without hitting the window display, but they do sell very well and they won’t discount. I’m always surprised when someone says I saw a 5270P or a 5320G in an ad window and this seems to cause shock. These are pieces you need to see and try but as I say they then go on to sell - and usually pretty quick.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:05 AM   #216
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

One of each as in one of every flavor right?
Old 25 August 2019, 12:08 AM   #217
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Ha! I was thinking you just need one nautilus and one aquanaut minimum. You can say one of each in each metal or you could say one nautilus bracelet, one nautilus strap, one aquanaut steel one aquanaut rose. Or you could get every...single...one.
Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:11 AM   #218
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I am sure you meant one of every flavor for each family member...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:13 AM   #219
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I am sure you meant one of every flavor for each family member...
Lol. Something like that

Tags
5711 nautilus , 5726 nautilus , authorized dealers , grey market , speculation