The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 September 2020, 11:59 PM   #271
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Fantastic. Still leaves remnants of its past life which would be important in a piece that's been handed down.
Old 25 September 2020, 12:06 AM   #272
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari_2 View Post
Fantastic. Still leaves remnants of its past life which would be important in a piece that's been handed down.
Thats right mate, I'm not even getting it polished. It will be so close to its previous state my step father probably wouldnt notice the difference...and that was my intention all along
Old 25 September 2020, 12:17 AM   #273
Redmy
"TRF" Member

Step fathers 5513

Quote:
Originally Posted by narembeen View Post
Hi, everyone I spoke to simply wanted to wipe the dial and repaint it from scratch. I wanted to leave things as they were and simply repair the damage, include some deep scratches. Its almost as though someone pulled the minute hand off and dragged it across the dial a few times, they were sharp deep scratches.

Perhaps in demanding this it inhibited his process which usually would allow him to use a template/stencil to apply the text. Since he couldnt do that he had to have the lettering painted by hand.

(I'm just guessing by the way....)

I think what you did is perfect. You’ll always remember what it went through when you look at the dial.

Yes ideally we all want things to be original and untouched but in your case the sentimental value is priceless.

Congrats on the dial, I think it looks great! I can’t wait to see the finished result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2020, 12:42 AM   #274
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
P
e
r
f
e
c
t
Old 25 September 2020, 02:47 AM   #275
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I think the subtle remains of the former thrashing is totally the right decision in this case. Maybe if you were selling it, you could have redone it completely. But this keeps the history in tact, while still looking very handsome. Well done.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:01 AM   #276
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I look forwards to seeing the final product. This is a nice thread to follow through.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:45 AM   #277
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Wow! It does look much better in your pictures. I didn't want to say anything when you showed Michael Young's photos. I like that the lettering wasn't messed with. It's vintage and lived a rough life as intended. It keeps that history.

But what a relief to see that dial! I think it looks wonderful and your watch is going to look amazing.
Old 25 September 2020, 08:56 AM   #278
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
P
e
r
f
e
c
t
Thank you Filipao!
Old 25 September 2020, 08:58 AM   #279
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Wow! It does look much better in your pictures. I didn't want to say anything when you showed Michael Young's photos. I like that the lettering wasn't messed with. It's vintage and lived a rough life as intended. It keeps that history.

But what a relief to see that dial! I think it looks wonderful and your watch is going to look amazing.
Haha, I felt exactly the same way. In the first lot of photos the lume looked sickly green. So I am very pleased. Also behind a plexi I doubt the dials few flaws will be that visible.
Old 25 September 2020, 09:01 AM   #280
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I think the subtle remains of the former thrashing is totally the right decision in this case. Maybe if you were selling it, you could have redone it completely. But this keeps the history in tact, while still looking very handsome. Well done.
Cheers Styles! Thanks!
Old 25 September 2020, 01:57 PM   #281
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, everyone I spoke to simply wanted to wipe the dial and repaint it from scratch. I wanted to leave things as they were and simply repair the damage, include some deep scratches. Its almost as though someone pulled the minute hand off and dragged it across the dial a few times, they were sharp deep scratches.

Perhaps in demanding this it inhibited his process which usually would allow him to use a template/stencil to apply the text. Since he couldnt do that he had to have the lettering painted by hand.

(I'm just guessing by the way....)
I like your approach. Like with a beautiful 50 year old woman evaluating cosmetic surgery/Botox: less is more. So many vintage watches go for the full redial, and it always looks like (screams it) a full redial. Your dial looks great.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:40 PM   #282
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I like your approach. Like with a beautiful 50 year old woman evaluating cosmetic surgery/Botox: less is more. So many vintage watches go for the full redial, and it always looks like (screams it) a full redial. Your dial looks great.
Haha, good comparison mate. I just want it to look the way it did when my step father last put it down (well the time before he decided to dismantle it lol)...

Nothing more nothing less, I am just getting this back to a stable wearable state and I will then do exactly that, wear the heck out of it.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:56 PM   #283
Lol-x
Facilitator

So we get the dial and hands, but what about the case, movement and bracelet? Any update on those items?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 25 September 2020, 03:06 PM   #284
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
So we get the dial and hands, but what about the case, movement and bracelet? Any update on those items?
Hi, my watch maker has had those since May 1st. Covid hit the breaks on a lot of things and he had to let staff go. I told him also there was no rush here. I just posted the dial and hands back to him today and he has now commenced work on the movement, he told me this last night.

The bracelet is a work in progress too, I now have all of the links thanks to Filipćo (). So I will be posting all those bag of bits off to HK in a few weeks.

The watch itself should be hopefully complete in the next month or so.
Old 25 September 2020, 08:37 PM   #285
Lol-x
Facilitator

Cool, got it

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 25 September 2020, 10:02 PM   #286
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Hi, my watch maker has had those since May 1st. Covid hit the breaks on a lot of things and he had to let staff go. I told him also there was no rush here. I just posted the dial and hands back to him today and he has now commenced work on the movement, he told me this last night.

The bracelet is a work in progress too, I now have all of the links thanks to Filipćo (). So I will be posting all those bag of bits off to HK in a few weeks.

The watch itself should be hopefully complete in the next month or so.
Can't wait to see the final product.
Old 25 September 2020, 11:57 PM   #287
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Congrats on the progress!! Cant wait to see the final product!!
Old 26 September 2020, 04:00 AM   #288
VK1984
"TRF" Member

Just found this thread today - looking forward to joining the journey.

Great stuff OP!
Old 26 September 2020, 04:39 AM   #289
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
What an exciting journey. So glad you sharing with us. Cant wait to see it. And really appreciate your humor and good spirits. This is a great place and awesome thread!
Old 26 September 2020, 06:28 PM   #290
narembeen
Banned

Thank you all! I am glad you are getting the same pleasure and enjoyment out of my journey as I am. I have learnt so much the past six months. Hopefully we all have only a month or so to go until the grand reveal!
Old 27 September 2020, 03:25 AM   #291
N1KEN
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Woah. What an extremely pleaseant thread to follow.

You've got this. Like the rest, I can't wait for the final pictures of the beauty!
Old 27 September 2020, 03:27 AM   #292
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Thank you all! I am glad you are getting the same pleasure and enjoyment out of my journey as I am. I have learnt so much the past six months. Hopefully we all have only a month or so to go until the grand reveal!

Loving this thread mate. Thanks for allowing us to share the journey with you.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 27 September 2020, 05:07 AM   #293
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Where do I start..and how did I miss this thread. One of the best "Reads' in a long time...and it took a while from page 1.
Narembeen's Fantastic 'Journey' of his 5513 has kept us all enthralled from the start and so glad that you, Narembeen, took the route you did to restore this 'legendary' heirloom. A lot of time, effort and resources from many have contributed to bringing this project to fruition so that you could carry on the tradition.
Kudos to you and your persistence. Well worth it.

' A Crown for every achievement '
Old 27 September 2020, 10:18 AM   #294
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Where do I start..and how did I miss this thread. One of the best "Reads' in a long time...and it took a while from page 1.
Narembeen's Fantastic 'Journey' of his 5513 has kept us all enthralled from the start and so glad that you, Narembeen, took the route you did to restore this 'legendary' heirloom. A lot of time, effort and resources from many have contributed to bringing this project to fruition so that you could carry on the tradition.
Kudos to you and your persistence. Well worth it.
Thank you! I envy all of the people who have come into this thread only recently. You will probably only have to wait a month or so to see the final result. Cheers for your kind words.
Old 28 September 2020, 06:43 AM   #295
Lagetickers
Banned

The watch will give a better look if it’s well fixed and will definitely be of a better value .
Old 28 September 2020, 10:08 AM   #296
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagetickers View Post
The watch will give a better look if it’s well fixed and will definitely be of a better value .
Cheers, I agree!
Old 28 September 2020, 10:11 AM   #297
narembeen
Banned

My watch maker now has all of the parts together in the one place for finally assembly/service. The movement is coming along nicely apparently. I just have a feeling it will be ready within the next few weeks!!!
Old 28 September 2020, 10:26 AM   #298
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
My watch maker now has all of the parts together in the one place for finally assembly/service. The movement is coming along nicely apparently. I just have a feeling it will be ready within the next few weeks!!!
Missing links... hand on tight!
Old 28 September 2020, 10:36 AM   #299
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
Missing links... hand on tight!
I know, I cant wait, its like two separate restorations going on now. Its very exciting. One was very unexpected! I know for sure by Christmas I will have my step fathers watch on my wrist with its service bracelet from 1978!
Old 28 September 2020, 01:23 PM   #300
blueslug84n
"TRF" Member

Absolutely epic thread. I’ve subscribed to updates. As a relatively new forum member this is the best thing I’ve seen on here by far!

Closed Thread