The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 16 August 2020, 07:57 PM   #31
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I don't see the difference and with all due respect, it doesn't give someone the right to steal from her.

Fact is we don't know the circumstances and if it was an inside job as suggested whos to say she didn't have excellent security etc

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Robbing by definition is forcefully or threatening to use force to take something from someone else. Not the case here.

Never said the thief had the right to steal. No one ever has the right to take what isn’t theirs. But if you’re going to leave valuables lying around and have plenty of random people in and out of your house. Expect stuff to go missing. It’s not rocket science. Most crimes are because the opportunity presents itself. Take away the opportunity and the crime has no chance of happening. She’s got 8,188 sq ft. to hide a safe and clearly the funds to acquire one. In the unlikely event her items aren’t recovered, I’m sure she’s insured. I don’t understand how me not sympathizing with her means that I somehow support the criminal. In my opinion they’re both pretty dumb. Jewelry has to be one of the easiest items to secure and also to steal.

And uhh, if she had “excellent” security there’d be video footage of whoever stole her stuff. There’d be a name in the article with a list of charges and items stolen.
Old 16 August 2020, 09:52 PM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Robbing by definition is forcefully or threatening to use force to take something from someone else. Not the case here.

Never said the thief had the right to steal. No one ever has the right to take what isn’t theirs. But if you’re going to leave valuables lying around and have plenty of random people in and out of your house. Expect stuff to go missing. It’s not rocket science. Most crimes are because the opportunity presents itself. Take away the opportunity and the crime has no chance of happening. She’s got 8,188 sq ft. to hide a safe and clearly the funds to acquire one. In the unlikely event her items aren’t recovered, I’m sure she’s insured. I don’t understand how me not sympathizing with her means that I somehow support the criminal. In my opinion they’re both pretty dumb. Jewelry has to be one of the easiest items to secure and also to steal.

And uhh, if she had “excellent” security there’d be video footage of whoever stole her stuff. There’d be a name in the article with a list of charges and items stolen.
All I’m saying is that we don’t know the circumstances here .... She may have had a safe, security, video etc.

Regardless, yes, I’m sympathetic to most anyone who has their things stolen even if they left them in plain sight.
Old 16 August 2020, 10:51 PM   #33
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
All I’m saying is that we don’t know the circumstances here .... She may have had a safe, security, video etc.

Regardless, yes, I’m sympathetic to most anyone who has their things stolen even if they left them in plain sight.
Well said, Brian [twice].

Of course the woulda-shoulda armchair conclusion jumpers look for every opportunity to play judge, Judy, & executioner.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 16 August 2020, 10:56 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post

Of course the woulda-shoulda armchair conclusion jumpers look for every opportunity to play judge, Judy, & executioner.
dP
Old 16 August 2020, 11:47 PM   #35
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Some of you, be careful getting down.
Old 17 August 2020, 12:11 AM   #36
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
She wasn’t even robbed, she was stolen from.

I think most average people have a hard time sympathizing with someone who can’t manage to secure their belongings in a $27M home. Fact is, her jewelry should’ve never been accessible to anyone but her and and her wife. With her finances there’s no reason she shouldn’t have a state of the art security and storage system
Your right. She deserves everything she got because even though they were her positions she didn't do exactly what you would have done and she just makes way too much money. You think maybe we should use your guidelines as how our justice system should work as well? You know, if she didn't secure them just right and she makes over the amount you think she should then no criminal charges should ever be pursued? Actually better than that make that criteria non-punishable. Maybe we should call that the New Robinhood law.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 August 2020, 12:14 AM   #37
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post

dP
more like devils advocate on here, apparently you have to be in the "poor Ellen" camp. or "she deserved it".

i'm in the she should've been better prepared and this could've been prevented. sucks it happened, but overall i'm indifferent. Thieves are going to steal, and people with gross displays of wealth are usally going to be the targets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...on-robbed.html

she was home when it happened, quite literally had no clue anyone was in side, her security system/ cameras got none of it, and she immediately upgraded after the incident.

just because you never expect something to happen to you doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare for it to happen. unfortunately in this day and age, it's becoming more and more true.
Old 17 August 2020, 12:17 AM   #38
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Your right. She deserves everything she got because even though they were her positions she didn't do exactly what you would have done and she just makes way too much money. You think maybe we should use your guidelines as how our justice system should work as well? You know, if she didn't secure them just right and she makes over the amount you think she should then no criminal charges should ever be pursued? Actually better than that make that criteria non-punishable. Maybe we should call that the New Robinhood law.

if this is you thinking, i'd hate to see you on an average day.

now you're just flat out putting words in my mouth that I didn't even close to imply.

when you have $330M you can afford a decent security system, they don't cost much. The fact that someone broke into her house while she was home and she didn't notice is wild. When you have a house so big someone can break in, steal your stuff and leave without you or a security system noticing. There's a problem, and if you don't see it, open your eyes a little more. must be dark inside.
Old 17 August 2020, 12:29 AM   #39
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if this is you thinking, i'd hate to see you on an average day.

now you're just flat out putting words in my mouth that I didn't even close to imply.
Why, because your first statement comes off like because you believe she makes too much money that she deserves what she got? No one deserves that. Whether she took the best precautions or not the same would be true but maybe just less wise. But then again I've yet to be convinced you know as much about what did and didn't happen and more about what you think may have not taken place.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 August 2020, 12:31 AM   #40
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
more like devils advocate on here, apparently you have to be in the "poor Ellen" camp. or "she deserved it".
Sure, these are the only options for the knee jerk reactionaries. But we don't have to settle on only these conclusions, do we? Things are never black/ white.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 17 August 2020, 12:34 AM   #41
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...nt+have+a+safe

just ask this guy his opinion about stolen watches lol
He is right. Of course that didn’t stop comments from graduates of the Grand Institute of Snobbery from chiming in and adding nothing to the discussion.

Ellen DeGeneres has one of the greatest watch collections I’ve ever seen. Say what you want about the woman but she certainly had good taste in a Watches. I hope they find out what happened.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 17 August 2020, 12:42 AM   #42
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...nt+have+a+safe

just ask this guy his opinion about stolen watches lol
Well from your post on the thread you refrenced and now what your saying that it appears that you have had a change of heart or mind or something???

Quote:
I don't think that it's fair to blame victims of burglary for not having what sounds like an outrageously expensive safe. even at 26 society continues to blow my mind with how untrustworthy and crappy it can be at times. Call me naive, dumb or whatever, but I try not to let a few bad seeds muddy up the world for me. I don't lock my car doors, I don't have a safe, I've been stolen from plenty, and it was people I thought were friends. never a random stranger. but were someone to ever take my Rolex, It most certainly wouldn't be my fault because I didn't buy some multi thousand dollar box to store it. It would be because some scumbag took what wasn't theirs.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 August 2020, 12:46 AM   #43
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why, because your first statement comes off like because you believe she makes too much money that she deserves what she got? No one deserves that. Whether she took the best precautions or not the same would be true but maybe just less wise. But then again I've yet to be convinced you know as much about what did and didn't happen and more about what you think may have not taken place.
facts are she has a 8,188 sq ft $27M home with a $330M net worth that she couldn't maintain security in while she was in the residence.

I don't think it should be a law, but if I were her insurance company, and knew she was storing hundreds of thousands-millions of dollars of jewelry at her residence, I wouldn't insure the items without her putting in adequate security measures I would expect from a jewelry store.
Old 17 August 2020, 12:52 AM   #44
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
facts are she has a 8,188 sq ft $27M home with a $330M net worth that she couldn't maintain security in while she was in the residence.

I don't think it should be a law, but if I were her insurance company, and knew she was storing hundreds of thousands-millions of dollars of jewelry at her residence, I wouldn't insure the items without her putting in adequate security measures I would expect from a jewelry store.
I don't disagree with you that I would think it best that she shouldn't take precautions. In fact I think given her circumstances she might want to take better precautions than I do. However I have no idea what she has or hasn't done and seriously doubt that you do, will probably never know, and don't care .

I will however never condone theft regardless of what precautions were or weren't taken.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 August 2020, 12:59 AM   #45
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well from your post on the thread you refrenced and now what your saying that it appears that you have had a change of heart or mind or something???
that's how I feel, but there are exceptions to every rule. at a certain point you do have to be proactive about your protection. a safe would be a major life purchase for me right now, Ellens time to purchase a safe would cost more than the safe itself.

like I said, I'm not glad it happened, but I don't feel bad.

I guess the way I see it is when you're Mega rich you have to do a bit extra to protect yourself. She pays people to deal with her day to day so she doesn't become overwhelmed by people asking her questions all the time, I don't see why she wouldnt pay an expert to make sure her home is secure. the burglar just as easily could've been some anti lgbtq nut and killed her. for the average person this isn't something to worry about, but due to who she is, I would've imagined she had much better security for her personal safety alone. as much as the world tells me i'm worth something, I know I'm just a cog in the machine. when you're influential on a global scale, have the funds, and the enemies, do what you can to protect yourself and family.
Old 17 August 2020, 01:07 AM   #46
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't disagree with you that I would think it best that she shouldn't take precautions. In fact I think given her circumstances she might want to take better precautions than I do. However I have no idea what she has or hasn't done and seriously doubt that you do, will probably never know, and don't care .

I will however never condone theft regardless of what precautions were or weren't taken.
"They're not taking any chances in the aftermath, though, and they've since hired a new security firm, while installing new laser sensor systems and cameras around the home's perimeter.

The comic stars have also hired armed security guards to patrol the grounds."
Old 17 August 2020, 01:13 AM   #47
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Some of the responses on this thread leave me at a loss.

To me, whether you like her or not is not the point. I have never watched her show, so I don't have an opinion. But how would it be relevant? If you don't like me, then it's ok to take my watches?

To me, whether she has enough money for a 24/7 private security person to have their eyes glued to each watch is not the point. I can afford a safe, but do not have one. If someone takes my watches is does the lack of a safe make it ok?

This is a watch site (the best in my humble opinion). And Ellen is a watch collector. And I am saddened when a watch collector has their watches taken.

Stay safe.
Old 17 August 2020, 01:18 AM   #48
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Some of the responses on this thread leave me at a loss.

To me, whether you like her or not is not the point. I have never watched her show, so I don't have an opinion. But how would it be relevant? If you don't like me, then it's ok to take my watches?

To me, whether she has enough money for a 24/7 private security person to have their eyes glued to each watch is not the point. I can afford a safe, but do not have one. If someone takes my watches is does the lack of a safe make it ok?

This is a watch site (the best in my humble opinion). And Ellen is a watch collector. And I am saddened when a watch collector has their watches taken.

Stay safe.

no, but if you had 80million instagram followers who knew where you lived, had pictures of all your jewelry posted online, and subsequently got your watches stolen, I probably wouldn't feel bad.

on the flip side, wouldn't expect a pity party if my stuff got stolen either. just an unfortunate part of life.
Old 17 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #49
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
For whatever the reason Ellen and I have never run in the same social circles. Probably because I haven’t reached the status where you can say my first name and half of the world knows you’re talking specifically about me. So I don’t know anything about her personally. However, I have always enjoyed her television personality and my children grew up loving the finding Nemo movies. This ugly business about whether or not she’s the same person on TV as she is in real life seems a little odd to me. At the end of the day she’s a comedian, actress and business women whose had enormous success in all three categories and wear’s a different hat for ever role. It must be exhausting. And frankly no one can be as energetically happy as she appears all the time. So obviously there’s going to be times where she’s not going to make everyone happy all the time.

Has anyone ever had a good friend get promoted to a position as the head of their organization? Did they treat you exactly the same as before? Did they treat everyone exactly the same regardless as to whether they were friends before or after? Did they have the time to spend the same amount of time BSing with you and random employees as they did before? Did they treat outstanding performers the same as lack luster ones? Do you think that the employees they have let go give honest opinions on both their work performance and the boss’s fairness? Why should she be any different?

We are a society of sharks. As soon as there is a drop of blood in the water everyone is in a frenzy. The more famous the person the more vicious the frenzy. The more famous the person the more we listen to sources we normally wouldn’t see as impartial or credible. The more we allow smalls slights to become fatal flaws. And we love the entertainment of it all. Ten years ago Ellen walked past someone in the hall without saying hello. Now ten years later a cousin has a friend whose roommate’s sister was walking down an alley and Ellen mugged her and kicked her dog. Gospel.

She has/had a great collection. Hopefully it will be recovered and the thieves are brought to justice so they can’t do it again. Wouldn’t it be much worse if they stole again only this time was from a celebrity that was still on the cool kid’s list? Fortunately no one was hurt. Some real nasty ness here. Karma? She’s still a person dealing with some seriously terrible crap happening all at once at a time when there’s way more stress then normal to begin with. Nasty anonymous comments about anyone’s misfortune is pretty petty. Maybe there’s Karma for people who enjoy this as Karma. I genuinely wish her the best of luck as I would any complete stranger who just had the security of their home violated because at the end of the day no matter how much you think you know about a celebrity that’s all they are a stranger you don’t know.
Old 17 August 2020, 01:30 AM   #50
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post

She has/had a great collection. Hopefully it will be recovered and the thieves are brought to justice so they can’t do it again. Fortunately no one was hurt.
I think these few sentences sum it up perfectly
Old 17 August 2020, 01:42 AM   #51
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
This thread highlights what is wrong with our species.
Yup. Looks like any comment section on any news web site out there. A mess tbh. One of the reasons I don't have twitter, fb, instagram etc. When you think about it, if not for the rules and strong moderation this place wouldn't be viable. Imagine if we could argue freely about politics, world vision and values, guns, or any other topic. People wouldn't tolerate each other here for more than a day.
Old 17 August 2020, 02:51 AM   #52
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

What amazes me is that people actually think they know a celebrity. I have no idea if Ellen is a nice person or not a nice person. I do know how Hollywood works though having worked there for a few years.

I'm guessing she's like most people, sometimes nice and at other times maybe not so nice.

How that makes her deserve to have her stuff stolen seem petty though.

Except for Portia. Now that's a different story. Ever since Ally McBeal, I really really wanted a Portia and Ellen took her from me.
Old 17 August 2020, 02:54 AM   #53
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
For whatever the reason Ellen and I have never run in the same social circles. Probably because I haven’t reached the status where you can say my first name and half of the world knows you’re talking specifically about me. So I don’t know anything about her personally. However, I have always enjoyed her television personality and my children grew up loving the finding Nemo movies. This ugly business about whether or not she’s the same person on TV as she is in real life seems a little odd to me. At the end of the day she’s a comedian, actress and business women whose had enormous success in all three categories and wear’s a different hat for ever role. It must be exhausting. And frankly no one can be as energetically happy as she appears all the time. So obviously there’s going to be times where she’s not going to make everyone happy all the time.

Has anyone ever had a good friend get promoted to a position as the head of their organization? Did they treat you exactly the same as before? Did they treat everyone exactly the same regardless as to whether they were friends before or after? Did they have the time to spend the same amount of time BSing with you and random employees as they did before? Did they treat outstanding performers the same as lack luster ones? Do you think that the employees they have let go give honest opinions on both their work performance and the boss’s fairness? Why should she be any different?

We are a society of sharks. As soon as there is a drop of blood in the water everyone is in a frenzy. The more famous the person the more vicious the frenzy. The more famous the person the more we listen to sources we normally wouldn’t see as impartial or credible. The more we allow smalls slights to become fatal flaws. And we love the entertainment of it all. Ten years ago Ellen walked past someone in the hall without saying hello. Now ten years later a cousin has a friend whose roommate’s sister was walking down an alley and Ellen mugged her and kicked her dog. Gospel.

She has/had a great collection. Hopefully it will be recovered and the thieves are brought to justice so they can’t do it again. Wouldn’t it be much worse if they stole again only this time was from a celebrity that was still on the cool kid’s list? Fortunately no one was hurt. Some real nasty ness here. Karma? She’s still a person dealing with some seriously terrible crap happening all at once at a time when there’s way more stress then normal to begin with. Nasty anonymous comments about anyone’s misfortune is pretty petty. Maybe there’s Karma for people who enjoy this as Karma. I genuinely wish her the best of luck as I would any complete stranger who just had the security of their home violated because at the end of the day no matter how much you think you know about a celebrity that’s all they are a stranger you don’t know.
Extremely well said TK
Old 17 August 2020, 02:56 AM   #54
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
What amazes me is that people actually think they know a celebrity. I have no idea if Ellen is a nice person or not a nice person. I do know how Hollywood works though having worked there for a few years.

I'm guessing she's like most people, sometimes nice and at other times maybe not so nice.

How that makes her deserve to have her stuff stolen seem petty though.

Except for Portia. Now that's a different story. I really really wanted a Portia and Ellen took her from me.
Extremely well put. I’ve been married to my wife for 25 years and sometimes I don’t know her.

Instagram - patton250
Old 17 August 2020, 03:00 AM   #55
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Ellen is from my home town and I have been following her for years and enjoying her show, when I could see it. She had a different Rolex on in almost almost every show.
Hope she had a safe and did not lose them all.

https://pagesix.com/2020/08/15/burgl...850.1596914469
Technically she was burglarized, to be robbed requires the “action of taking property unlawfully from a person or place by force or threat of force.”
Old 17 August 2020, 05:26 AM   #56
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
27 million dollar home as was said earlier, I actually feel sorry for the poor schmuck that gets robbed and has to worry how he'll feed his family. I couldn't care less about Hollywood types ...
Old 17 August 2020, 07:05 AM   #57
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
27 million dollar home as was said earlier, I actually feel sorry for the poor schmuck that gets robbed and has to worry how he'll feed his family. I couldn't care less about Hollywood types ...
The vast majority of the world, the absolute vast majority, would say the same thing about nearly anybody on this forum that was robbed.

But I assure you it would personally and emotionally hurt anyone here to be robbed the way that she was.

A serious lack of empathy in this thread, and in this world. It’s sad.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 17 August 2020, 07:09 AM   #58
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The vast majority of the world, the absolute vast majority, would say the same thing about nearly anybody on this forum that was robbed.

But I assure you it would personally and emotionally hurt anyone here to be robbed the way that she was.

Indeed brother.
Old 17 August 2020, 07:44 AM   #59
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
For whatever the reason Ellen and I have never run in the same social .
That’s because you’ve been seen in public with me on more than one occasion :rofl Do you know how long it took me to delete the rest of the post

All kidding aside, I don’t care how people feel about Ellen or how much money she has. This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone. I hope whoever did this to her is caught.
Old 17 August 2020, 07:46 AM   #60
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Too right my friend.

Instagram - patton250
Closed Thread