The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 August 2020, 04:14 AM   #61
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I much prefer to compare specific model than brands in general.

There are models that Breitling makes and there is no competition out there, i.e. the Emergency series.

I think some of the B01 Breitling are quite screaming deal for inhouse chronograph on the pre-owned market.

I always have a soft spot for the Avenger chronograph series.

See what tickle your fancy. Get what you like, and buy smart. Don't just buy because other people think its a better watch.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 04:49 AM   #62
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3Z View Post
Omega - by a mile.
Great. Now what objective facts do you have to back that up?
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 08:00 AM   #63
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
It really depends on the model, but in general Omega are much nicer and more modern imo. Breitling hasn't been the same since the sale. Not much innovation.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 08:16 AM   #64
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Great. Now what objective facts do you have to back that up?

Resale value
Global sales
In-house calibres
Horological initiatives
Brand awareness
Model range
Heritage
Horological awards
Co-axial escapement
The Moon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 08:19 AM   #65
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I much prefer to compare specific model than brands in general.

There are models that Breitling makes and there is no competition out there, i.e. the Emergency series.

I think some of the B01 Breitling are quite screaming deal for inhouse chronograph on the pre-owned market.

I always have a soft spot for the Avenger chronograph series.

See what tickle your fancy. Get what you like, and buy smart. Don't just buy because other people think its a better watch.
I like this answer, it pretty much sums up how I feel, I have owned one from each of these fabulous makers. Both watches, in my opinion were superb.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 09:01 AM   #66
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Resale value
Global sales
In-house calibres
Horological initiatives
Brand awareness
Model range
Heritage
Horological awards
Co-axial escapement
The Moon!

Resale value is fads and does not make a watch better. The navitimer is hands down infinitely more important and has far more heritage than a Daytona-it’s not even close. So hype does not equal facts. As for inhouse, have you heard of the bo1, b04, etc and others? Btw, before you get hyped on Rolex movements I suggest you read Walt oditz epic take down of the Rolex Explorer. Inhouse is not objectively better. Btw, PP, VC, and AP have used the 321 calibur made famous by the speedmaster.

Yes the moon and going to the moon was and is a major feet, but the vast majority of your arguments are based on insta hype and marketing. I have owned breitling, omega, Rolex, iwc. My Breitlings owner of 2 for 10’years and never serviced and ran within COSC. Absolutely pounded those watches. Model range, I mean Rolex has the sub, DDSD, SD, gmt and yacht mater that are all basically the same watch. So not buying the range argument. Yes, Rolex sells more watches, for me I never minded that every time I went out of the house I did not see another person wearing a Navitimer, I do however see a Rolex about every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 August 2020, 09:20 AM   #67
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Omega or Breitling? higher quality watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Resale value is fads and does not make a watch better. The navitimer is hands down infinitely more important and has far more heritage than a Daytona-it’s not even close. So hype does not equal facts. As for inhouse, have you heard of the bo1, b04, etc and others? Btw, before you get hyped on Rolex movements I suggest you read Walt oditz epic take down of the Rolex Explorer. Inhouse is not objectively better. Btw, PP, VC, and AP have used the 321 calibur made famous by the speedmaster.

Yes the moon and going to the moon was and is a major feet, but the vast majority of your arguments are based on insta hype and marketing. I have owned breitling, omega, Rolex, iwc. My Breitlings owner of 2 for 10’years and never serviced and ran within COSC. Absolutely pounded those watches. Model range, I mean Rolex has the sub, DDSD, SD, gmt and yacht mater that are all basically the same watch. So not buying the range argument. Yes, Rolex sells more watches, for me I never minded that every time I went out of the house I did not see another person wearing a Navitimer, I do however see a Rolex about every day.

You're getting mixed into to many arguments man. How does Rolex get a gig in this. You asked for data to support Omega being better than Breitling and half of your response is Rolex. Happy to respond to it all but what brands are we going to be talking about?

Old 18 August 2020, 09:35 AM   #68
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
In terms of quality, I personally would class Breitling in the same league as Tag whereas Omega closer to Rolex...
^^^ this.

If you do choose Breit, minimum 25% discount.

Agree with Chester about resale values, Pateks are a good example of waaay overpriced secondhand meh. The good news is there's usually a bigger fool.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 09:36 AM   #69
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
In terms of quality, I personally would class Breitling in the same league as Tag whereas Omega closer to Rolex...

This has been my experience as well.

Old 18 August 2020, 10:03 AM   #70
btrizzy
"TRF" Member

Chronomat B01 42:

Premier B01:

Navitimer B01:

Superocean Heritage II:

Breitling current lineup has more models that interests me compared to Omega. As a owner of Rolex Datejust, Rolex Submariner, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Omega Aqua Terra, Breitling Chronomat Evolution, and Breitling Navitimer, I can comfortably say that the physical quality among the three brands are equal. The materials, finishing, feel in hand, movement reliability, and movement accuracy have been all equal for me. Rolex for now has by far the most desirability compared to Breitling and Omega in the watch enthusiast community and general public. And in my experience Omega has more desirability compared to Breitling in the watch enthusiast community, but in the general public they are equal. But desirability has no effect on actual physical quality.

People bashing Breitling in this thread do not have any clue.
btrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 10:06 AM   #71
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrizzy View Post

People bashing Breitling in this thread do not have any clue.

I'm not sure it's bashing when the OP has asked for an opinion of which they believe is better.

Old 18 August 2020, 10:22 AM   #72
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're getting mixed into to many arguments man. How does Rolex get a gig in this. You asked for data to support Omega being better than Breitling and half of your response is Rolex. Happy to respond to it all but what brands are we going to be talking about?

My point was that many of your arguments can be leveled against many other brands as well. But, ill stick to your points: 1) resale depends on each particular model, marketing hype, insta hype, etc. and little to do with any tie to real "value". Yes, Omega makes more watches than Breitling. So does apple watch, but they are not better than omega or breitling. In house calibers,I like that Omega emphasizes antimagentic movements, but they are excessively thick and despite the "METAS" certs, I have not seen data (nor have you presented any) that any of omega's inhouse caliburs are more accurate or reliable than the B01 and other Breitling in house movements (B01, B02, B04, etc...). Now, Brand awareness, ok Omega's marketing department and not the company wins this one. Model range, I disagree, how many models are based off the speedmaster and seamaster lines? that it. Breitling has Navitimer, chronomat, superocean, avenger, primer, aviator, and professional line. I respectfully disagree.

Now, the co-ax. Yes, it reduces friction, but at a cost as it has more components (meaning more that can go wrong or parts that can fail). Functionally, I have had watches with and without the co-ax and can tell you my co-ax fared no better than my chronomat (old non 'In house" movement) over 10 years. Both never required a service and both were within COSC. The lever escapement has been around for 100 years and has been tried and true and easier to service.

Yes, the moon is big, but the navi and chronomat's heritage is legit and served as a real tool for pilots for decades and has been making chronos since the very early 1940's.

FWIW, I own a speedy pro and have owned Breitlings. My main point is that these "better" arguments are long on opinion and short on facts. I have owned many watches since the 1980's and can tell you they all really have performed about equally. The only thing I can say is that my IWC and chopard needed service after 5 years (started keeping poor time), where my omega and breitling never needed any. Thats the only "facts" I can present from my personal experience.
Old 18 August 2020, 12:47 PM   #73
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I have owned Breitling, Omega and Rolex watches and have found them to be quite competitive. I think each manufacturer has its claim to a truly iconic watch, particularly in the realm of so-called "sports watches"...

For Breitling, the Navitimer. For Omega, the Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch", and for Rolex, the Submariner. I know, Rolex has other iconic models, but I think any watch enthusiast/collector would do well to have those three in their collection.

Breitling has a strong association with aviation. In the past (I don't know if it's still true) a Breitling was a traditional graduation gift for US Air Force Academy graduates. And, Hollywood discovered Breitling, too. It's certainly posh.

If Omega made just one watch, the Speedmaster Professional, they'd have made their horological mark, they have many fine references. Perhaps, like Breitling, they have too many references...and "special editions". And, Omega and Breitling both rely on paid celebrity "ambassadors".

One thing I appreciate about Rolex is is the absence of "special editions" and that there are a fewer core references, with variants among those.

To the general public, I think Rolex is the most recognizable of prestigious watch brands. Omega has raised its profile considerably with its association with the Bond films from 1997 to date. Rolex, of course, was the original Bond watch, on the big screen, and of course, Ian Fleming identified Rolex as Bond's preferred watch brand, both in an article he wrote about Bond and in references in various novels. Breitling can claim its own connection to 007. In "Thunderball", Bond has a Breitling Top Time modified by Q Branch to serve as a Geiger counter.

Whether you're a Bond fan or not, the products used by the movie character tend to be seen as "best in class"--or Bond wouldn't use them.

I have a Breitling Aerospace that has been particularly handy. While i prefer mechanical watches, it is my one quartz movement watch.

My subjective preference, based on which brand I wear most frequently, would be Rolex, Omega, Breitling, in that order. However, the margin between each is quite close. I feel damn lucky to own any of them.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 01:08 PM   #74
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Omega trumps Breitling by a fair amount
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 01:17 PM   #75
ZachRNZ
"TRF" Member

As an Air Force Academy grad, I felt compelled to answer. I’m sad to say I don’t know of any fellow grads who received a Navitimer as a graduation gift, but considering that all of us went to college for free, it may well be an appropriate gift from parents! Perhaps I’ll remember this (or try to forget) if any of my own sons go to the Academy.

I’m also afraid to say that Air Force pilots I know wear mostly G-Shocks and Apple Watches. That said, I’m pretty sure the Navitimer is the one high-end watch most would actually recognize...I’m looking for one now.

ZachRNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 01:21 PM   #76
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
I have owned Breitling, Omega and Rolex watches and have found them to be quite competitive. I think each manufacturer has its claim to a truly iconic watch, particularly in the realm of so-called "sports watches"...

For Breitling, the Navitimer. For Omega, the Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch", and for Rolex, the Submariner. I know, Rolex has other iconic models, but I think any watch enthusiast/collector would do well to have those three in their collection.

Breitling has a strong association with aviation. In the past (I don't know if it's still true) a Breitling was a traditional graduation gift for US Air Force Academy graduates. And, Hollywood discovered Breitling, too. It's certainly posh.

If Omega made just one watch, the Speedmaster Professional, they'd have made their horological mark, they have many fine references. Perhaps, like Breitling, they have too many references...and "special editions". And, Omega and Breitling both rely on paid celebrity "ambassadors".

One thing I appreciate about Rolex is is the absence of "special editions" and that there are a fewer core references, with variants among those.

To the general public, I think Rolex is the most recognizable of prestigious watch brands. Omega has raised its profile considerably with its association with the Bond films from 1997 to date. Rolex, of course, was the original Bond watch, on the big screen, and of course, Ian Fleming identified Rolex as Bond's preferred watch brand, both in an article he wrote about Bond and in references in various novels. Breitling can claim its own connection to 007. In "Thunderball", Bond has a Breitling Top Time modified by Q Branch to serve as a Geiger counter.

Whether you're a Bond fan or not, the products used by the movie character tend to be seen as "best in class"--or Bond wouldn't use them.

I have a Breitling Aerospace that has been particularly handy. While i prefer mechanical watches, it is my one quartz movement watch.

My subjective preference, based on which brand I wear most frequently, would be Rolex, Omega, Breitling, in that order. However, the margin between each is quite close. I feel damn lucky to own any of them.

That's funny. Others opinions are wrong but you finish giving one.

Old 18 August 2020, 02:05 PM   #77
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's funny. Others opinions are wrong but you finish giving one.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. I never said anyone's opinion was right or wrong. I offered my own personal perspective...that I see the three brands as peers, each with iconic and historic models in their respective lineage. Some may strongly favor one brand or another, based on their own criteria, whatever that might be. I see the three brands as more or less in the same range--competitive with one another.

If by "finish" you're referring to the end of my post, where I touched on my personal order preference, I was careful to say my preference was "subjective"-- and that the three brands were nevertheless very close, in my own order of preference. To be clear, if I choose to wear a Rolex a little more frequently than the other two brands, it's not because I perceive it as "better".

Anyway, that's my take on the topic the OP raised, for what it's worth.
Old 18 August 2020, 03:10 PM   #78
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. I never said anyone's opinion was right or wrong. I offered my own personal perspective...that I see the three brands as peers, each with iconic and historic models in their respective lineage. Some may strongly favor one brand or another, based on their own criteria, whatever that might be. I see the three brands as more or less in the same range--competitive with one another.

If by "finish" you're referring to the end of my post, where I touched on my personal order preference, I was careful to say my preference was "subjective"-- and that the three brands were nevertheless very close, in my own order of preference. To be clear, if I choose to wear a Rolex a little more frequently than the other two brands, it's not because I perceive it as "better".

Anyway, that's my take on the topic the OP raised, for what it's worth.

Now the really funny part... I had replied to the wrong post!

Old 18 August 2020, 03:19 PM   #79
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now the really funny part... I had replied to the wrong post!

That is funny! No worries!
Old 18 August 2020, 03:40 PM   #80
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachRNZ View Post
As an Air Force Academy grad, I felt compelled to answer. I’m sad to say I don’t know of any fellow grads who received a Navitimer as a graduation gift, but considering that all of us went to college for free, it may well be an appropriate gift from parents! Perhaps I’ll remember this (or try to forget) if any of my own sons go to the Academy.

I’m also afraid to say that Air Force pilots I know wear mostly G-Shocks and Apple Watches. That said, I’m pretty sure the Navitimer is the one high-end watch most would actually recognize...I’m looking for one now.

You would know best! Perhaps what I heard years ago was more urban legend than truth. Or, if it was ever a custom, is no longer a custom. A friend of mine, a former Marine officer, recently invited me to watch his son graduate from the Air Force Academy (the ceremony was online, due to the pandemic). While talking with my friend, I brought up the Breitling Navitimer as a graduation present idea. My friend hadn't heard about any tradition of giving such gifts...though he liked the idea. However, his son had no particular interest in high end watches. So, that was that.

I do know that astronaut Scott Carpenter had Breitling create a Navitimer with a 24 hour dial for his Project Mercury space flight. So, I wonder if there's a generational issue...

In today's quartz world, very reliable, serviceable, durable watches can be found at very affordable prices, such as the watches you mention, while Breitling and Rolex and Omega are extremely expensive luxury items today. I suspect in the 1950s, when Breitling came out with the Navitimer and Rolex the GMT, more working pilots used them...and there were no low cost watches that could give comparable performance. Probably the same goes for "dive watches" and other so-called tool watches...but that's a subject for another thread, I suppose.
Old 18 August 2020, 04:00 PM   #81
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
There is a fair argument that the quality of Omega is greater than Rolex but this is a Rolex forum so we won’t go there.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote