The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 September 2020, 04:50 AM   #1
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Inaccurate descriptions - HQ Milton

So to begin, I have no vendetta against HQ Milton. I go on the website semi regularly to check out some really interesting vintage Rolex's, and their selection is some of the best I've seen.

Having said that, their descriptions vs actual condition of the watches are sometimes outright lies. This example is just one of a few that I have seen from them.

I clicked on this watch because it looked interesting, and take a look at the screenshots of the case back and their description of the case.

"Excellent case"...really?

Granted, they provide a picture so that you can see the pitting, but not all of their listings have the picture with the removed case back. I personally wouldn't trust a watch from them now unless the pictures include the case back off picture.

Here's the link to the listing: https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ner-1680-A3281
Undefeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:33 AM   #2
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I've never bought from them yet but I'm always lurking for an older Sub or Tudor and check them out weekly. That's not cool at all and for their prices and reputation they need to be more candid and forthright with their description after their inspections.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:53 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I agree it would have been appropriate to mention the serious pitting.
Old 5 September 2020, 07:18 AM   #4
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Why even sell a watch with that pitting. It’s poor quality frankly.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:27 AM   #5
snarkq
"TRF" Member

They literally showed the pics in high definition. You think anyone spending that money isn't reviewing the photos?

I've bought from them (i think I was working with Jacek at the time) and he actually took the time to remind me of a spot on the dial that was originally unnoticed and sent additional pictures before confirming the purchase... I would definitely buy from them again.
snarkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:29 AM   #6
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
Why even sell a watch with that pitting. It’s poor quality frankly.
Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I feel.theynare referencing the over appearance and condition with the caeback on.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:31 AM   #7
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The majority of their watches have case back off pics. But I agree, this case is bad. It looks bad enough that the watch might have a hard time sealing.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:34 AM   #8
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Some serious pitting but by adding the photo they are hardly trying to deceive,surely anyone looking to buy would check out all photos
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 08:12 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post

I feel they are referencing the over appearance and condition with the caeback on.
This. Condition is fully disclosed in the photos.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 09:23 AM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think that if any one of us was selling this watch, we would absolutely have mentioned the pitting in our description of the watch, since it's quite serious. Yes, photos are shown, and I'm not saying that there is anything dishonest about the listing. But it would have been better to mention it explicitly, and unlike the typical dealer where sneaky behavior is expected, HQM has an excellent reputation to maintain. I really appreciate when they point out subtle flaws, such as hand-drag, etc., since that type of transparency engenders trust. I suspect they just listed the watch quickly, used boilerplate language, and simply neglected to add those details. Just my personal feelings about this.
Old 5 September 2020, 09:25 AM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Saying "excellent case" could suggest to the uneducated buyer that such pitting is normal.
Old 5 September 2020, 09:54 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I suspect they just listed the watch quickly, used boilerplate language, and simply neglected to add those details.
Agree. These are not the bad guys.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 10:03 AM   #13
Hub6152
Banned

How about a 1675 that I purchased from a different source but had traced back to them (because my source had used some of their photos to advertise it) that had a later sapphire type bezel insert that was super glued on to the bezel that simply would not rotate because of that. I guess that just slipped through as the occasional unlucky ones just do because they surely couldn’t have checked it at all.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 01:40 PM   #14
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

What is hand dragging? Is that when the had drags on the dial and leaves a mark? How does that happen anyway? The hand gets bent somehow?

I think the pitting could probably be fixed relatively easily by rolliworks.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 01:51 PM   #15
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
What is hand dragging? Is that when the had drags on the dial and leaves a mark? How does that happen anyway? The hand gets bent somehow?

I think the pitting could probably be fixed relatively easily by rolliworks.
Yes, hand drag marks are semi-circular marks from the hand scraping against the dial, usually during part of the rotation.

I think it can be challenging to repair pitting by laser welding, since the new material may not bond very well. I have asked LAWW in the past, and they were reluctant to attempt it because they felt that the results might not be good. If others have first hand experience with having pitting repaired, I would be very interested to hear about it.
Old 5 September 2020, 03:06 PM   #16
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Everything used is now excellent condition....back in the day we had 75%....80%....85%....95% and so on....of course the percentages are subjective but it’s a lot better than every damn watch is excellent lol......that’s what it is now.......that case is garbage....60% max far from excellent lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 03:07 PM   #17
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
It bothers me more when I see a dial described as "excellent" but there are obvious scratches, paint chips, or hand drag.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 04:31 PM   #18
1watch
"TRF" Member

Always good to use your eyes and own judgement vs accepting descriptions. Check here or with other trusted collectors. All good dealers also allow for an inspection period and make things right if they miss something. There are also ones out there that don’t represent pieces honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:55 PM   #19
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
How about a 1675 that I purchased from a different source but had traced back to them (because my source had used some of their photos to advertise it) that had a later sapphire type bezel insert that was super glued on to the bezel that simply would not rotate because of that. I guess that just slipped through as the occasional unlucky ones just do because they surely couldn’t have checked it at all.
This could have been done after HQ Milton sold the watch.....this is just pure conjecture on your part

Back to the original post in this thread, not sure quite how including in the advert a high-definition picture of the case with the case back removed could be construed as an attempt to misdescribe the watch for sale..... My understanding (although I have never purchased a watch from them) is that HQ Milton have a good reputation that they have built up over many years of hard work. Seems a shame for the OP to go out of their way to damage that reputation......particularly as it would appear that he/she has not actually purchased a watch from them.
Woody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:58 PM   #20
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
This could have been done after HQ Milton sold the watch.....this is just pure conjecture on your part

Back to the original post in this thread, not sure quite how including in the advert a high-definition picture of the case with the case back removed could be construed as an attempt to misdescribe the watch for sale.....: thinking:My understanding (although I have never purchased a watch from them) is that HQ Milton have a good reputation that they have built up over many years of hard work. Seems a shame for the OP to go out of their way to damage that reputation......particularly as it would appear that he/she has not actually purchased a watch from them.

It wasn’t done after. I traced the original listing on HQM and it was exactly the same. I couldn’t seem to be able to edit my original post on my phone as I realised it was badly worded.

So they either they didn’t bother to inspect it, or it slipped through accidentally or they knew all about it.
Old 5 September 2020, 05:59 PM   #21
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post

Back to the original post in this thread, not sure quite how including in the advert a high-definition picture of the case with the case back removed could be construed as an attempt to misdescribe the watch for sale..... My understanding (although I have never purchased a watch from them) is that HQ Milton have a good reputation that they have built up over many years of hard work. Seems a shame for the OP to go out of their way to damage that reputation......particularly as it would appear that he/she has not actually purchased a watch from them.

I still have the link to their original listing that’s now in their archive. Do you want me to post it here?
Old 5 September 2020, 07:58 PM   #22
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
For the sake of clarity, HQ Milton has nothing to do with me or any of my companies. I was never certain why they chose the name.

Their reputation, nonetheless, was historically solid --- but haven't some faces changed there recently?

H
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 09:24 PM   #23
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
OP, I too have looked at many a watch on HQ, wondered about the pitting on some of their vintage models, and found the "excellent" adjective jarring. So, get your point about words matter. But...

Where I disagree with you is the phrase "outright lies." The pics are there for everyone to see. And, while I think the better practice would be to mention the pitting, a watch can have an excellent case in terms of outside appearance, lugs and bevel, but still have pitting underneath the caseback.

And I must say, when I have spoken to them on the phone in the past, HQ has gone out of their way to call attention to every defect in the piece.

Stay safe.
Old 6 September 2020, 01:27 AM   #24
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
For the sake of clarity, HQ Milton has nothing to do with me or any of my companies. I was never certain why they chose the name.

Their reputation, nonetheless, was historically solid --- but haven't some faces changed there recently?

H
It's named after Scott's children.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:11 AM   #25
lhendrickson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 ref. 1601
I bought from them back in 2016 when Kazu was working for them and Jacek was still there before he started Tropical Watches. Great experience and great guys. I didn't deal with Scott directly, but I've had many friends buy from them with solid results. As a novice, I ask a lot of questions because I both want to learn more and also don't know wtf I'm doing

My only gripe with HQ is what I perceive to be above-market pricing. I can go to [insert other well-regarded competitors] for prices 10-15% below list on HQ any day.

Again, I would never question the legitimacy of buying from these guys. Just ask a lot of questions with any purchase from anyone (especially when buying vintage).
lhendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:18 AM   #26
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
HQ Milton is usually very good with its descriptions, and the photos show everything. I think the OP's example is more of an aberration than the norm.

They're not perfect, of course, and I've seen some issues in the past, such as not mentioning service parts or over-stating how "excellent" a watch might be. But in general, HQ is one of the best in the business for the amount of volume it deals with, in my experience anyway.

Also, they have a 5-day, no-questions-asked return policy, so the risk is super low, assuming you do your homework. There are plenty of other dealers out there who deserve to be picked on more.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:08 AM   #27
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Saying "excellent case" could suggest to the uneducated buyer that such pitting is normal.
I agree.

No way is an “excellent case” with pitting. Period.

If that were on eBay this forum would be on fire.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:26 AM   #28
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

H

Yes, Jacek is at tropical watches now and Scott is at HQ Milton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:39 AM   #29
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I like HQ Milton, I like the way they normally present their watches....BUT this one is not right.
Thats a terribly pitted case, far from “excellent”!
Old 6 September 2020, 04:55 AM   #30
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
OP, I too have looked at many a watch on HQ, wondered about the pitting on some of their vintage models, and found the "excellent" adjective jarring. So, get your point about words matter. But...

Where I disagree with you is the phrase "outright lies." The pics are there for everyone to see. And, while I think the better practice would be to mention the pitting, a watch can have an excellent case in terms of outside appearance, lugs and bevel, but still have pitting underneath the caseback.

And I must say, when I have spoken to them on the phone in the past, HQ has gone out of their way to call attention to every defect in the piece.

Stay safe.
The excessive pitting found on the back of the case would make this case far from being considered excellent by anyone that I deal with in the hobby. The case is poorly described in the listing.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote