The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 October 2020, 01:30 AM   #1
Dave93
"TRF" Member

Advice

Hi everyone, I just signed up I wanted to tell you and ask you for advice on my experience with my AD in Switzerland.
3 years ago through a family contact I managed to get a 5711-1A in 9 months and a few months later I bought a calatrava 5227r- 001 which was immediately available. 2 years ago I asked the same AD for a 5980 1R and after numerous contacts where AD told the same things that they have not seen this model for 4 years that patek does not favor sport models... honestly it seems very strange to me because when I bought the first nautilus the AD did not even know me while today after 2 purchases and several years of knowledge and friendships in common I seem to find myself facing an impossible mission.
what do you think? sorry if my english is not perfect
Dave93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 04:05 AM   #2
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave93 View Post
Hi everyone, I just signed up I wanted to tell you and ask you for advice on my experience with my AD in Switzerland.
3 years ago through a family contact I managed to get a 5711-1A in 9 months and a few months later I bought a calatrava 5227r- 001 which was immediately available. 2 years ago I asked the same AD for a 5980 1R and after numerous contacts where AD told the same things that they have not seen this model for 4 years that patek does not favor sport models... honestly it seems very strange to me because when I bought the first nautilus the AD did not even know me while today after 2 purchases and several years of knowledge and friendships in common I seem to find myself facing an impossible mission.
what do you think? sorry if my english is not perfect
A lot has changed in three years. It seems your AD isn't going to allocate you the piece you want, unfortunately.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 07:34 PM   #3
Dave93
"TRF" Member

have any of you recently managed to get a 5980-1r? if so in how long?
how long have you waited to get your nautilus.
Old 6 October 2020, 08:30 PM   #4
dragonliondog
"TRF" Member

waiting for 5980r......the AD said may be one year
dragonliondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 01:58 AM   #5
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
have any of you recently managed to get a 5980-1r? if so in how long?
how long have you waited to get your nautilus.
Yes I got mine in May this year. I ordered it in April 19.

My AD gets about 2 per year.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 06:28 PM   #6
Dave93
"TRF" Member

good morning everyone, I wanted to update my story since the last update was in 2020 unfortunately I have not yet managed to obtain the much desired 5980 1r but in the meantime I had asked for an aquanaut 5164r and this was delivered to me in 2021, but nautilus there are no traces or timing last year I was tired of waiting for a single model I had given two other models 5712 1r and 5990 1A-011 as alternatives but still nothing, every month I try to contact my CEO but the excuses are always the same the requested models do not arrive etc…. It's been almost 5 years now and my requests (except 5164r) don't seem to be taken into consideration, what do you think I should do? thanks so much for the advice
Old 28 September 2023, 07:32 PM   #7
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
good morning everyone, I wanted to update my story since the last update was in 2020 unfortunately I have not yet managed to obtain the much desired 5980 1r but in the meantime I had asked for an aquanaut 5164r and this was delivered to me in 2021, but nautilus there are no traces or timing last year I was tired of waiting for a single model I had given two other models 5712 1r and 5990 1A-011 as alternatives but still nothing, every month I try to contact my CEO but the excuses are always the same the requested models do not arrive etc…. It's been almost 5 years now and my requests (except 5164r) don't seem to be taken into consideration, what do you think I should do? thanks so much for the advice
Some may say that you already are blessed to have received these timepieces.

I have the feeling that you are requesting only « hyped » timepieces, which does not incite the AD to provide you with everything you requested.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 11:21 PM   #8
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I think for you to have received both a 5711 at retail and an aquanaut 5164r with only buying one Calatrava is pretty astonishing.
I doubt you will get the call for the nautilus you want if you don't buy other pieces such as calatravas or complications. I think your 5 year wait shows this?
I think your options are- either go grey for the watches or play the game and look at other pieces.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 11:56 PM   #9
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Hyped up watches - Nautilus and Aquanaut in general - are very limited in supply and face huge demand. The good news is that the watch frenzy appears to be slowly losing pace.

Small dealerships are said to be lucky if they get one to two pieces a year of the hyped items. The way dealers decide who to favour in their customer lists is a mystery and not making many friends in Patek's customer base.

There would be a bit more acceptability of this situation if ADs were honest and told you the waiting list based on their usual supply expectations was 'X' months or more likely 'Y" years so one can go and look at other models and makes. Keeping punters on hold with little chance of supplying us is infuriating.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 01:06 AM   #10
Dave93
"TRF" Member

being 30 years old I have no interest at the moment in buying classic watches that I wouldn't use, probably when I'm 40/50 years old I will certainly appreciate models like calatrava and complications more. as you said, I find it frustrating to always receive excuses without ever receiving the truth but I'm not willing to spend money on something that I have absolutely no interest in!
I think the AD should also understand that if she is not able to sell now what she wants to sell most likely she will sell it in the future.
Unfortunately at the moment I have no other solution than to keep pushing and waiting hoping for a bit of luck, if by the end of the year I don't receive one of the requested models I was thinking of easing the wait by buying a platinum Daytona with Rolex AD.
Old 29 September 2023, 01:26 AM   #11
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
be happy with what you have received from your AD - a lot of people here myself included would really love to be in your shoes.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 02:26 AM   #12
IGY
"TRF" Member

My advice is:

1) Stay in regular contact with your AD friend. Every now and again let him know that you are still keen on the Aquanaut. (There is no harm doing this, just don't be focusing the conversation on this one watch all the time).

2) Keep an eye on the grey market. Economies are weakening and there may be better prices to get an used / nearly new Aquanaut in the year or two ahead.

3) I do agree that the Aquanaut is a distinctive watch that is pool friendly and super slim wearing. Be open minded for alternatives to the Aquanaut. There are quite a lot of similar watches available from other manufacturers.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 02:55 AM   #13
Dave93
"TRF" Member

being 30 years old I have no interest at the moment in buying classic watches that I wouldn't use, probably when I'm 40/50 years old I will certainly appreciate models like calatrava and complications more. as you said, I find it frustrating to always receive excuses without ever receiving the truth but I'm not willing to spend money on something that I have absolutely no interest in, i think the AD should understand that what she is not able to sell now to me most likely she will sell it in the future !
At the moment I have no other solution than to keep pushing and waiting hoping for a bit of luck, if by the end of the year I don't receive one of the requested models I was thinking of easing the wait by buying a platinum Daytona with Rolex AD.