The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 29 December 2013, 11:04 PM   #1
SubTTKky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Icon5 SOS Help pls! Day-Date

Hi everyone,

Recently, knocked my day-date n the watch stopped functioning, so I drove it into ER with Rolex center n was provided with the following repair instruction,

1) complete overhaul n servicing of the rolex engine
2) back-case screw thread got badly wounded out n needed replacement via air mail to Geneva Switzerland for the gold case to be melted down n weighted for its gold n replace with a new gold case.

Have anyone heard of the above n should I proceed ahead? I m okay with part 1 but part 2 abit weird for me...can't they rework the screw thread? It's going to b an expensive repair...need expert n seniors collectors' views...thanks n appreciates all kind input!

Wishing all Happy New Year!

Rolex Sub16613,GMT IIC 116713,Daytona 116523 (Golden Champage with Diamonds),DD1803,18038,18238,DJ16233,DJ16014,Omega Speedy
SubTTKky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 11:30 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubTTKky View Post
Hi everyone,

Recently, knocked my day-date n the watch stopped functioning, so I drove it into ER with Rolex center n was provided with the following repair instruction,

1) complete overhaul n servicing of the rolex engine
2) back-case screw thread got badly wounded out n needed replacement via air mail to Geneva Switzerland for the gold case to be melted down n weighted for its gold n replace with a new gold case.

Have anyone heard of the above n should I proceed ahead? I m okay with part 1 but part 2 abit weird for me...can't they rework the screw thread? It's going to b an expensive repair...need expert n seniors collectors' views...thanks n appreciates all kind input!

Wishing all Happy New Year!
Afraid Rolex is not in the business of repairing thread or cases etc as they will want you to buy a new one.So I would try one of the independents on forum like Rikki or Bob Ridely expect they could repair the threads.Gold being a softer metal the threads sometimes get damaged .Depending on the age of your DD a new gold case could cost as much as your watch is worth from Rolex.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2013, 06:57 AM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

rolex will replace such parts not fix you could try michael young, he can repair the case back thread
Old 30 December 2013, 08:48 AM   #4
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
rolex will replace such parts not fix you could try michael young, he can repair the case back thread
Michael is the man for his job
Old 5 January 2014, 11:15 PM   #5
SubTTKky
"TRF" Member

Icon5

Ok thks everyone for the sharing! DD still with Rolex Center, yet to hear from them...

Rolex Sub16613,GMT IIC 116713,Daytona 116523 (Golden Champage with Diamonds),DD1803,18038,18238,DJ16233,DJ16014,Omega Speedy
Old 7 January 2014, 08:53 AM   #6
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Good luck SubTTKky. How did you hit the watch just curious?
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2014, 06:52 PM   #7
joseluu
"TRF" Member

I agree with Peter. A new caseback from Rolex can cost as mucha s a new (second hand) watch. Better to pursue other avenues. I have had the pleasure of dealing with MY and fully recommend his work.
joseluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2014, 05:21 AM   #8
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
I would send the watch to Bob Ridley if I were you. He can simply repair the damaged case thread instead of replacing the entire case.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2014, 05:26 AM   #9
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
all good advice ,, rolex would be eye wateringly expensive , be interesting to know what they would quote though.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2014, 05:14 PM   #10
SubTTKky
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Just got back my Rolex watch yesterday....

It went on a holiday trip to Switzerland...they sought permission for it to be air mailed to Rolex HQ n the technician there assessed it n came back with a quotation of $2K for a case back replacement...plus full servicing and all...it's a total service quotation of $4K+++

I rejected the replacement and requested for a full service without the water tightness guarantee but they counter it and said it's not possible for a partial guarantee so fix up my Rolex and return me the watch...after fixing the watch interior to make it functioning again...all FOC...FREE...

Happy that I do not need to pay a single cent for the repair...however, guess this Rolex Day-Date will be a safe queen from now on...

Thanks everyone for the inputs! Appreciated it!

Old 7 March 2014, 05:19 PM   #11
SubTTKky
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
Good luck SubTTKky. How did you hit the watch just curious?
Butter fingers me...old n clumsy me...was talking while taking out my watch from my arm...n it simply dropped to the floor...luckily it's a wooden flooring on second floors of my house and not the ceramic hard flooring on my ground floor.

Old 7 March 2014, 08:49 PM   #12
chaisson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Dropped my 14060M on the floor 2 months ago, knocked a jewel loose. Fixed no charge one month out of warranty by RSC. Daily wearer is now a Tag, sub is back in the box.....
chaisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 02:57 AM   #13
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
^^^ I know that "injury" to your beloved Rolexes is somewhat traumatic...However, don't turn them into safe queens, please. They are meant to be enjoyed, that's why you got them in the first place, most likely...Good luck.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 09:55 AM   #14
Girkmonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, 16710 Red/
It has never occurred to me not to wear my watch. Home repair/maintenance, water skiing, snow skiing, carpentry, playing with kids, working on cars...it's always there. Oil, water, sand...if it gets filthy, I rinse it. Maybe I don't respect it as a "luxury item"...What good is it if I am not wearing it, though???
Girkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 12:56 AM   #15
SubTTKky
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Bcos of the water tightness issue, have to wear it in a xtra caution manner as advised by the Rolex technician...cos they informed me that once water or moisture reach the interior...and the movement, rust and damage will follow...yes I know everyone...it pains me to let it become a safe queen too...I do wear it but in a xtra precaution manner...heehee...