The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
captiva

Deep Sea Sea Dweller

Hi Guys, I am a new to rolex and intend to make my very own purchase rolex watch.

I have locked target to DSSD.

I would like to check if DSSD a good watch to purchase, in terms of investment values?

DSSD is big and bulky, will there be less demand for this watch?

I was quote US$10,180.00 by AD offering me a brand new G series, and was told very limited alpha numeric series for DSSD, is that true? and is the price consider okie?

Really thank you for spending time reading this and hope you can give me some valuable inputs.

Thank You

Captiva.
captiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captiva View Post
Hi Guys, I am a new to rolex and intend to make my very own purchase rolex watch.

I would like to check if DSSD a good watch to purchase, in terms of investment values?

I was quote US$10,180.00 by AD offering me a brand new G series, and was told very limited alpha numeric series for DSSD, is that true? and is the price consider okie?

Really thank you for spending time reading this and hope you can give me some valuable inputs.

Thank You

Captiva.
First there is no such thing as a series for any Rolex watches all they are is just case serial numbers with various letters and numbers,that are much like what you find on any domestic product like say a TV bought today.And no modern day Rolex should be bought for purely as a investment.Buy one because you want to wear one of the best mechanical watches made today,now after wearing your watch for many years.Then if you have to sell and get a good price on original price paid.Just think of it as a bonus to enjoying and wearing that fine watch for many years.As for your quoted price I am sure you could do better via own of the trusted sellers on forum.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Welcome to TRF.

If your main goal is to invest I recommend you invest in something other than a watch.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Director EDTF
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you check out the For Sale section here on TRF and buy the watch from one of our trusted sellers you will see some better prices on the DSSD. I just purchased mine 3 weeks ago from David SW. Good Luck!!
Director EDTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
xxthe_remedyxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Director EDTF View Post
If you check out the For Sale section here on TRF and buy the watch from one of our trusted sellers you will see some better prices on the DSSD. I just purchased mine 3 weeks ago from David SW. Good Luck!!
Another vote here for DavidSW. Purchased mine about a month ago, a G serial also for a much better price than what you were quoted.
xxthe_remedyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Director EDTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthe_remedyxx View Post
Another vote here for DavidSW. Purchased mine about a month ago, a G serial also for a much better price than what you were quoted.

Is yours running on time? You said you were going to check.
Old 16 February 2012, 11:28 PM   #7
humvee
Banned

Buy gold or real estate ---- watches are not investments -- well, they are, after 100years!
humvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2012, 11:39 PM   #8
VAWATCHGUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
The watch is great and I am sure you will love it. As for prices, you can do better at an AD. I picked mine up, G serial, 4 months ago for a thousand less than what you are being quoted. Shop around. Or as other have mentioned, check the sellers here on TRF.
VAWATCHGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 12:06 AM   #9
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captiva View Post

Thank You

Captiva.
DSSD will hold its value fine as far as rolex watches are concerned if that indeed is what your asking. no modern day rolex is an 'investment'. your quote seems a little high but no surprise as for some reason US ADs are limiting their discounts the DSSD can easily be picked up brand new for $1000 less than you were quoted. big and bulky? maybe for people with wee tiny wrists. the DSSD is a 'normal' sized dive watch and is no bigger than offerings from breitling, IWC, Omega. Blancpain etc etc.
swiss ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 12:47 AM   #10
joleel7
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, PAM, BALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss ghost View Post
DSSD will hold its value fine as far as rolex watches are concerned if that indeed is what your asking. no modern day rolex is an 'investment'. your quote seems a little high but no surprise as for some reason US ADs are limiting their discounts the DSSD can easily be picked up brand new for $1000 less than you were quoted. big and bulky? maybe for people with wee tiny wrists. the DSSD is a 'normal' sized dive watch and is no bigger than offerings from breitling, IWC, Omega. Blancpain etc etc.
x2
joleel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 01:07 AM   #11
xxthe_remedyxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is yours running on time? You said you were going to check.
I haven't worn it for two days (I don't bring it with me to the gym) but it's in a winder. I'm going to check tonight and let you know. What's going on with yours?
Old 17 February 2012, 01:26 AM   #12
Director EDTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthe_remedyxx View Post
I haven't worn it for two days (I don't bring it with me to the gym) but it's in a winder. I'm going to check tonight and let you know. What's going on with yours?
This week down to a +7 so I guess mine is just taking a little longer to break in.
Last week I was at a +10. It is going in the right direction.
Old 17 February 2012, 01:58 AM   #13
xxthe_remedyxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This week down to a +7 so I guess mine is just taking a little longer to break in.
Last week I was at a +10. It is going in the right direction.
Cool. Are you still thinking about bringing it to Rolex to have it looked at? Also, send me a PM, I want to ask you a question...
Old 17 February 2012, 03:07 AM   #14
Puffy
"TRF" Member

welcome

DSSD is a great watch and as has been said buy one on the forum. much better prices to be found
Old 17 February 2012, 03:21 AM   #15
Rolexman28
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
A colleague of mine just bought from the local AD a DSSD G series 3 weeks ago and got it for $9650 + (no tax because shipped to another state). I told him to buy from TRF trusted sellers but I guess he just wanted that secured feeling of buying from an AD and didnt feel comfortable wiring the $$. About a week later I purchased a GMTc tt from DavidSW and could not be happier with the watch and the price I paid. I have purchased several rolexes in my time and not one was purchased at the AD, and I have pleased with my all transactions...enjoy your watch
Rolexman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 03:34 AM   #16
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Personally, I do not think you buy a watch for an investment as there are other ways for one to make investments. Now if you want a great mechanical watch which retains a monetary value then by all means buy a Rolex. It's been known that you can buy, own and wear a Rolex and at some point in time in the future be able to sell it for X amount of dollars. The DSSD is a great watch but as has been stated you can do better on price.....good luck!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 03:51 AM   #17
FX44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
welcome

DSSD is a great watch and as has been said buy one on the forum. much better prices to be found
+1

Also search the internet but make sure it is a trusted source with a good reputation.
Old 17 February 2012, 03:58 AM   #18
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Just purchased one myself from an AD and git a great price! BNIB "G" serial as well and was in the 8's out the door. Dont let people fool you there are some great prices out there right now and from AD's! You just need to know where to look and keep looking until you get what you want price wise
Old 17 February 2012, 07:52 AM   #19
Lagunatic
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LN
Don't pay more than $8,800 for that model from an AD out of state.
Lagunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 11:44 AM   #20
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
Just purchased one myself from an AD and git a great price! BNIB "G" serial as well and was in the 8's out the door. Dont let people fool you there are some great prices out there right now and from AD's! You just need to know where to look and keep looking until you get what you want price wise
Congrats Adam and great advice!!

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote