The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 June 2013, 03:59 AM   #1
SKCamara
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Icon10 Rolex newbie introducing

Hi guys. This is the first time I post a thread here, but I have been an avid reader of the many posts here.

I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Gonçalo ( the ç reads like an s), I'm an 18 year old student trying to get into law school and I'm a member of the other very loved watch forum by the nickname of BreitlingPilot.

I think I am what you can call a premature WIS. I started collecting watches when I was 15 years old, and as a result of lots of trades, a watchmaker that is a close friend and raising my own money, I have now a nice collection for my age. I have a 1968 Speedmaster with the transitional dial, a 1941 Universal Genève chrono, a 1957 seamaster and a 1937 Longines.

Until a few months ago, I was a Rolex hater (I know, booooo) but now, I can´t stop looking at them(what is this spell?!)! Specially when my watchmaker is always wearing is 5513 and a 1940's bubbleback.

So as a result of wanting a Rolex so much I bought a Rolex Oyster Speedking Precision (I know it´s midsize, but don't worry I have very small wrists), that's missing a crown, but my watchmaker is taking care of it. It is also going to have an oyster rivet bracelet from the period.

This is the watch in question:

I know (almost) all about, Omegas, Breitlings, and other brands, but when it comes Rolex I'm a beginner
So can you guys tell me more about this watch in particular? Was it a good start for a young chap like me? Tell me everything you know!

When the watch is ready, I'll post more pictures. It may take a while, but I'll post them.

Kind regards from Portugal,

Gonçalo
SKCamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 12:34 PM   #2
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Congrats for such a young age you seem to be a responsible young adult. Excellent! Second the watch bug got to you early in life. Wow I can only imagine the collection you will have by the time you are in you 40's or 50's! Also excellent.
I think with patience and a little elbow grease you will have yourself a wonder timepiece. You mentioned you live in Portugal lone way from Rikki or Bob in the US. I would think and I am sure one of the great members in and around this world will get you the info. on who can help you with your restoration project.
Congrats again and go luck in law school. I wish you well my friend.
Aloha from Kauai.
Tom
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
SKCamara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprd13 View Post
Congrats for such a young age you seem to be a responsible young adult. Excellent! Second the watch bug got to you early in life. Wow I can only imagine the collection you will have by the time you are in you 40's or 50's! Also excellent.
I think with patience and a little elbow grease you will have yourself a wonder timepiece. You mentioned you live in Portugal lone way from Rikki or Bob in the US. I would think and I am sure one of the great members in and around this world will get you the info. on who can help you with your restoration project.
Congrats again and go luck in law school. I wish you well my friend.
Aloha from Kauai.
Tom
Thank you for your kind words. I really hope I'll have great collection someday!
I'm really anxious with the result of this little beauty. Can't wait to able to post some pictures.

Also can't for somebody to tell me more about this Rolex!

Once again, thank you for your response.

Regards,

Gonçalo
Old 12 June 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
SKCamara
"TRF" Member

Anyone? Nobody knows nothing about this Speedking? I know it's history, but don't know if this is a good example of this model, if the hands belong to this model, what crown it should have, etc...

Anxiously waiting for your help guys. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by SKCamara; 12 June 2013 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12 June 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Hi and welcome - nice intro. Sorry, I know very little about SK.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2013, 03:43 AM   #6
SKCamara
"TRF" Member

Well, I see nobody knows nothing about this Rolex... Anyway I will post a few pictures of it when I get it back from my watchmaker.

Last edited by SKCamara; 14 June 2013 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Typo