The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 January 2007, 07:20 AM   #1
Atomic

Eight months of so much more than a watch

Eight months ago I got my PAM01B. I pined for this watch for more than three and a half years, so achieving this milestone in my life was pretty big for me.

Some thought (as I did) that perhaps getting the watch would be an anti-climax of sorts. You know when you long for something so long, when you get it, it doesnt live to your expectations.

This is totally not the case with this watch. The PAM01 has been on my wrist 99.9% of the time since I got it. It has been everywhere with me from my swimming pool, to the local rivers, to the big waves in the Atlantic Ocean. Hell, it even survived the GTG in Toronto.

Keep in mind this is a B series Panerai, made in 1998. Even so, on the second year of being available to the public, this watch is well within COSC standards, ticking away at about +2.5 give or take. Not bad for a watch pushing nine years old.

I have been through a lot of straps over the months but now have it down to what I think are keepers. The last one arrived today, a navy blue Strap Works calf with light blue stitch. Awesome! The strap trading can be addictive, but really a load of fun. I have learned a lot as well about hides, stitching and more.

Even better, the community among paneristi has been amazing. Great guys and girls, who are generous with information and also with helping a fellow risti out. I have recieved free stuff from good friends and people I dont know at all, and given free stuff to friends and strangers alike. This Panerai community is unlike any other in the watch world.

So, if in 2007 you see a Panerai and it kinda smiles at you, pick it up and have a close look. Once bitten, you will find that you wont want to put any other watch on your wrist.
Old 3 January 2007, 07:30 AM   #2
mamas
"TRF" Member

Makes me really happy to read that you are still in love with your watch after 8 months and it still brings you so much happiness . Although panerai are not really my style, they have a lot of pedegree and can see why you would love them like you do.. do you plan on getting any other panerai? or will you be a one watch guy!
congratulations and hope it gives you mnay more years of happiness
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 07:40 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Glad to see you're still smiling at it
Old 3 January 2007, 08:04 AM   #4
Goldsplinter

A father of one of my dad's friends, who's 83 years old, was wearing a Panerai at my house for New Years... it has a sort of elegance to it... It's like powerful, but doesn't show it off. Maybe if i see him next time i'll talk to him about the watch.
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Great story.
Can I quote you on the part about "So, if in 2007 you see a Panerai and it kinda smiles at you, pick it up "????
Might just ahve to try that.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 08:40 AM   #6
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Great story.
Can I quote you on the part about "So, if in 2007 you see a Panerai and it kinda smiles at you, pick it up "????
Might just ahve to try that.
For you that means just picking up where you left off!
Old 3 January 2007, 10:02 AM   #7
amanda
Banned

Awesome post Atomic!!! Awesome you love your PAM just as much as the anticipation that built up to your getting it!

I have to say this post has just cheered me up immensely... I was just 1 minute ago tossing up if I was going to throw my mouse against a wall or break my phone in temper - work is frustrating me right now!! arrrrggghhhh

Thanks for the post Atomic, I hope I feel the same way about my PAM after 8 mths when I finally get it....
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Atomic

Glad I could help Amanda. Since you've already made in-roads in the community, you're well on your way. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it when you get it. I can see you have the passion!

Mamas, I still have the ExpII and since it just gathers dust, I will likely move it sometime in the future and pick up another PAM. Likely either a 210 Radiomir or a Luminor base (or logo base). We'll see. If I stay with a Luminor, I don't have to get a whole new wardrobe of straps (that I'd have to get for a 210)... which could be a bad thing.

John... still waiting to see a 190 join the stable.
Old 3 January 2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsplinter View Post
It's like powerful, but doesn't show it off.
That's the essence of the brand in a nutshell.

That, and the fact most people don't know what the hell it is.
Old 3 January 2007, 01:06 PM   #10
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
That's the essence of the brand in a nutshell.

That, and the fact most people don't know what the hell it is.

We had gone for dinner over the holidays with a few people. The topic of watches came up (I didn't start it).
A bunch of friends, but I never have told them what I spent on my collection, and they don't know much about horology.

At the time, I was wearing my PAM 98.
Of course they started talking about Rolex & they all oohed & ahhed about the ones they saw on holidays last year & "why would someone pay $10,000 on a watch?" ( their words not mine as they had no idea what a Rolex cost).
I just stayed quiet enjoying my gem all by myself

Member # 293
Old 3 January 2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
We had gone for dinner over the holidays with a few people. The topic of watches came up (I didn't start it).
A bunch of friends, but I never have told them what I spent on my collection, and they don't know much about horology.

Of course they started talking about Rolex & they all oohed & ahhed about the ones they saw on holidays last year & "why would someone pay $10,000 on a watch?" ( their words not mine as they had no idea what a Rolex cost).
Nice!
Old 3 January 2007, 01:24 PM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:

I usually carry the reciepts around with me to prove what I spent on my watches.

Glad the fire is strong John(s), they are addicting and fun so shizzile my nizzle.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 01:33 PM   #13
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

We went away for 5 days over New Years. I took two ( it was hard leaving the rest at home). I thought our hosts might think I was totally crazy if I wore a different watch every day.
Lo-and-behold, we arrive, Michelle my daughter starts unloading the ones she brought up. Only 4, missed a watch a day by one. That is my girls

Member # 293
Old 3 January 2007, 01:36 PM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
We went away for 5 days over New Years. I took two ( it was hard leaving the rest at home). I thought our hosts might think I was totally crazy if I wore a different watch every day.
Lo-and-behold, we arrive, Michelle my daughter starts unloading the ones she brought up. Only 4, missed a watch a day by one. That is my girls
To quote a sitcom from the early eighties..."U in trouble!!"

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 11:26 PM   #15
Atomic

Quote:
John, I'm seriously disappointed. You have that nice travel case and only took two watches? You better smarten up or there'll be .
Old 4 January 2007, 02:17 AM   #16
----

It's always great when a watch you have wanted for so long actually meets your expectations.

Even though I usually research my purchases in depth before buying, there's always that tinge of doubt that I might be disappointed with the watch after I've had it for a while. Fortunately that's only happened with one watch, and it's gone so I was able to correct that mistake.
Old 4 January 2007, 02:26 AM   #17
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

Even though I usually research my purchases in depth before buying, there's always that tinge of doubt that I might be disappointed with the watch after I've had it for a while. Fortunately that's only happened with one watch, and it's gone so I was able to correct that mistake.
That's something I will be correcting at some point soon.
Old 4 January 2007, 08:02 AM   #18
AJC
"TRF" Member

Hey John,

That is great that you are enjoying the watch so much,it might be the time to flip the Explorer.(That's if it hasn't been done.)

Pardon my ignorance but i imagine you wouldn't be able to get some of the hide straps wet.What are you using for swimming,or is that handled by the monster.

Happy New Year John.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2007, 08:19 AM   #19
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Most of the Panerai's come with a wicked rubber strap for water.

Member # 293
Old 4 January 2007, 11:25 PM   #20
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Hey John,

That is great that you are enjoying the watch so much,it might be the time to flip the Explorer.(That's if it hasn't been done.)

Pardon my ignorance but i imagine you wouldn't be able to get some of the hide straps wet.What are you using for swimming,or is that handled by the monster.

Happy New Year John.

Aaron
hey Aaron, still have the ExpII, but for how long, I'm not sure.

As John said, OP provides most watches with a killer rubber strap so I use that. I have a waterproof calf strap, but honestly, I don't want to get it wet. I did take a calf strap into the ocean with me, but it's since found a new home with a fellow TRFer. Generally now I use the Monster when I know I'm going in the drink, but I know that getting wet once or twice won't kill a strap.
Old 5 January 2007, 04:04 AM   #21
mamas
"TRF" Member

if you dont wear the exp.. move it on.. i think a radomir would look kind of cool next to your panerai... are the rads waterproof aswell?
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2007, 04:40 AM   #22
Goldsplinter

How much does a new modern Panerai cost and how much are the different straps? I've somehow become fascinated with getting a Panerai (or another watch to change straps) and getting a nice-sized selection of straps.
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2007, 06:21 AM   #23
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas View Post
if you dont wear the exp.. move it on.. i think a radomir would look kind of cool next to your panerai... are the rads waterproof aswell?
The Rads are 'only' waterproof to 100m (Luminors to 300m) so even though it's a step down in waterprufness, , I think I can live with it.

Mamas, the master plan is to move the ExpII and replace it with a PAM210.

Goldsplinter, I can only quote you Canuckbux, but they start around $4000 and go from there. Straps start around US$50 for a decent calf on and can go up to almost $1,000 for some rare ones.
Old 5 January 2007, 06:25 AM   #24
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

You can get a BNIB Base LOGO for $4,000 CDN.
This is a highly sought after model, even though it is the lowest price point one in the line up

plus, I'm sure if you get a Panerai, some window stickers will soon be mailed out to you

Member # 293
Old 5 January 2007, 06:29 AM   #25
Atomic

Quote:
You can get a BNIB Base LOGO for $4,000 CDN.
This is a highly sought after model, even though it is the lowest price point one in the line up

plus, I'm sure if you get a Panerai, some window stickers will soon be mailed out to you

The 111 is a nice choice too, at CDN$4750... their most popular model and also highly sought after.
Old 5 January 2007, 06:56 AM   #26
----

Quote:

The 111 is a nice choice too, at CDN$4750... their most popular model and also highly sought after.
I hear the 210 is nice.
Old 5 January 2007, 07:22 AM   #27
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I hear the 210 is nice.
I hear you have one that you didn't pay for.... Send it this way, will ya?
Old 5 January 2007, 05:40 PM   #28
miner
"TRF" Member

I'm enjoying the Pam164 at the moment.
BTW Atomic have you seen the new Jeep Pam Wrangler?

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2007, 11:23 PM   #29
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I'm enjoying the Pam164 at the moment.
BTW Atomic have you seen the new Jeep Pam Wrangler?

Is that the one I sent you? If so, how'd you stick it there?

It looks almost, well... OEM.
Old 6 January 2007, 08:30 PM   #30
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is that the one I sent you? If so, how'd you stick it there?

It looks almost, well... OEM.
Yup its the one you sent.
There's limited glass on this one and the plastic windows are in and out so I had to put it on the body. Just peeled off the paper and stuck it on, back to front so it looks ok. I don't think its a permanent fixture but it will do while its dry and in between car washes (it gets about two a year!)

miner is offline   Reply With Quote