The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 July 2021, 11:38 AM   #91
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo78 View Post
@swish77 & @alwayshere

I have not a problem with that. Who do I make the check out to?
thanks for taking our suggestions onboard - and sorry, its actually $30!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=781738
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 12:01 PM   #92
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
thanks for taking our suggestions onboard - and sorry, its actually $30!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=781738
Done!
JoJo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 12:54 PM   #93
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Done!

You seem like a pretty legit fellow, jojo. I’ve enjoyed following this one. Cheers.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 02:07 PM   #94
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Done!
Kudos to you on this. Warmest welcome and hope to see you post alot more!

Old 31 July 2021, 02:52 PM   #95
snakeeyes
Banned

Quote:
Agreed!

Even after the auction ended, there were 2 request from buyers asking to cancel with the winning bidder at prices of: $4K - $4.2K Of course I refused!

I just hope the winning buyer (whomever he/she) is, restores the piece back to its former glory and shares before/after images if he/she is a forum member.

All-in-all, good find, good sale and great pick-up for the buyer.
Those offers are a fair bit over the final price. Someone must know something or be best friends with a watch maker.
snakeeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 05:17 PM   #96
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

This tread will close the chain, is the purchaser and the watch serviced.

1968 Tudor Submariner 7016-0
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 05:36 PM   #97
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post

thanks for closing the loop.
Old 21 August 2021, 10:58 PM   #98
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Good for that buyer. I bid up to 3500 thinking the back could be removed and screwed back on. For Nearly 4K, I found something else I wanted to gamble on.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:42 AM   #99
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Good for that buyer. I bid up to 3500 thinking the back could be removed and screwed back on. For Nearly 4K, I found something else I wanted to gamble on.
Share with us what gamble you took! always love these stories.
Old 25 August 2021, 08:50 AM   #100
horologyhour
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M
Where can I find these $2 bins in California?
horologyhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 04:46 AM   #101
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horologyhour View Post
Where can I find these $2 bins in California?

Not. $2., back in nov 2019 I got a 20 watch lot. For $462 as a auction.

I was able to discern what locked like a gold chronograph in the pile.

In the pile

*vintage leonidas (pre heuer merger) Gild case. Complete and working
* Square 24mm 14k gold longines, a gild smith repaired the case for me and I found a Diamond dial and movement for it.
* Gold girls watch 10k (tiny)
* white gold girls watch.
*Nice size plated automatic.
*plated automatic bulova with repainted black dial.
Some timex and
3 Elgin pocket watches I don’t know what to do with them.

Overall not a bad deal,
Old 31 August 2021, 09:12 AM   #102
Bill2
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Not bad, but do your home working before dealing online.
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 07:23 AM   #103
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post

From the topic, not so good news. Too bad!

Quote:
Yes. Its apparently unrepairable. The watch cannot be opened without destroying the case and caseback. This is from a watch maker who worked at Rolex for a decade, so I believe him.

Really upset about this as I have wanted a 1960's tudor for a very long time. I guess it wasnt meant to be.
Quote:
The watch maker who assessed this piece was a rolex service centre manager for a decade. Who better to assess this piece? He unequivocally did not want to proceed with any attempt to work on this piece. The caseback actually has a lot more cracking than is visible in the photos, lots of micro cracks. The caseback would no doubt fail at the first forceful attempt to open the watch. The threads in the midcase would be damaged in this process and then you would have to obtain a new caseback, a new mid case?

Before sale the watch really should have been opened up come what may and then listed on ebay. It was listed as 'Needs Restoration'. Well a seasoned ex rolex watch maker wont touch it.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 09:01 AM   #104
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Assuming a replacement case back can be bought, of course the original case back can be removed. It’ll take care and the destruction of the existing case back, but it’s certainly doable. I wouldn’t have risked thousands on it mind you.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 09:23 AM   #105
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone,

As most of know may know, I'm the finder and seller of this here Tudor. I appreciate you all who chimed in to help and share your hard earned knowledge with me regarding this watch, much respect to you all!

What I do not and will not respect is the eBay buyer of this watch,....who is a forum member. He (and you know who you are) knew prior to purchasing this watch, the good, the bad and the possible ugly of this watch, prior to it even being placed on eBay for sale. And for him to have this info.......again, prior to the fact...............buy this watch, take it apart, alter it, show it off in that link and have the nerve to file a return request after a month in a half and accuse me of selling him a defect watch is insane! You've insulted me and called me every disgusting name one can think of, as if I've done you wrong, just because you have buyers remorse? I've been an eBay seller since 2009 with no issues, until now. I'm every disgusting name in the book just because I won't grant your request for a refund for a "defective" watch that you knew prior to the auction was defective. Shame on you! SHAME ON YOU!
Old 3 September 2021, 09:27 AM   #106
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Utterly ridiculous. In the other thread he states he consulted his watchmaker who told him to “go for it.” Now that his watchmaker won’t work on it , he wants a refund? He knew the caseback was damaged. OP, please screenshot his posts on the other thread and send to eBay if he escalates.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 09:31 AM   #107
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

As most of know may know, I'm the finder and seller of this here Tudor. I appreciate you all who chimed in to help and share your hard earned knowledge with me regarding this watch, much respect to you all!

What I do not and will not respect is the eBay buyer of this watch,....who is a forum member. He (and you know who you are) knew prior to purchasing this watch, the good, the bad and the possible ugly of this watch, prior to it even being placed on eBay for sale. And for him to have this info.......again, prior to the fact...............buy this watch, take it apart, alter it, show it off in that link and have the nerve to file a return request after a month in a half and accuse me of selling him a defect watch is insane! You've insulted me and called me every disgusting name one can think of, as if I've done you wrong, just because you have buyers remorse? I've been an eBay seller since 2009 with no issues, until now. I'm every disgusting name in the book just because I won't grant your request for a refund for a "defective" watch that you knew prior to the auction was defective. Shame on you! SHAME ON YOU!
I’ve enjoyed this thread, unfortunately it’s all too common with selling on eBay, the buyer is always right . I won’t sell anything over $1000 on eBay for fear of scam, returns etc . I once had a buyer claim he didn’t receive the package 3 months after it was delivered. eBay sides with him in the case , another time the buy asked for a refund because he didn’t get the item 2 days after he bought it lol, the package wasn’t even delivered yet and again eBay sides with the buyer . Refund him, get the item back and part it out , you’ll still make a nice profit. Consider it a lesson learned
Old 3 September 2021, 09:53 AM   #108
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Are you updating the thread to get ideas on how to move forward now?

If so, please accept this input in that spirit.

I’ve read the original thread here, I’ve also seen the buyer’s thread elsewhere. I’ve had situations like this when I sold on eBay. My best advice is to accept the return.

Get the watch back in your hands and if it is no longer in the shape it was when you sold it, open the case against the buyer for a partial refund. Get eBay to refund seller fees based on that.

Then go about listing it again. Remember, prices even for a parts watch have risen.

I wouldn’t risk a good rep that you already have over something that amounts to $2 in original costs. It goes along with the territory when you use that platform. Just a cost of doing business in eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 10:00 AM   #109
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
Utterly ridiculous. In the other thread he states he consulted his watchmaker who told him to “go for it.” Now that his watchmaker won’t work on it , he wants a refund? He knew the caseback was damaged. OP, please screenshot his posts on the other thread and send to eBay if he escalates.

Agreed and already done (screen shots of his entire thread).
Old 3 September 2021, 10:07 AM   #110
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

@77T

No, I am not. Just updating how bad buyers such as this piece of crap give good people bad names. I've been on eBay long enough to know how to handle this type of situation. If he simply got the watch in, didn't like it and requested a return right away, fine, it would have been granted. But after it was taken apart, altered, bragged about, sent off to a 3rd party for that 3rd party to do or have done God knows whatever with it and request a return after such a long period, nope! Will fight it out! It's not about the money, it's the principle.
Old 3 September 2021, 10:11 AM   #111
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
@77T

No, I am not. Just updating how bad buyers such as this piece of crap give good people bad names. I've been on eBay long enough to know how to handle this type of situation. If he simply got the watch in, didn't like it and requested a return right away, fine, it would have been granted. But after it was taken part, altered, bragged about, sent off to a 3rd party for that 3rd party to do or have done God knows whatever with and request a return after such a long period, nope! Will fight it out! It's not about the money, it's the principle.

Fair enough…
I’ve sold on eBay beginning in 2003.

I’m just reminded of Steve’s overarching rule against bringing disputes from eBay and other sites into TRF.

Kindly fight it out there…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 10:13 AM   #112
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

JoJo,

Can you name him here? noted his handle is demof1 over at watchuseek. This is pretty poor behaviour and everything was detailed in both the actual ebay listing as well as discussed on this thread. The risk behind the watch was obvious.

Can I suggest you do two things:
1) Provide his ebay handle and his TRF handle so everyone can be aware of him / her going forward
2) as Junhuatai has suggested, keep all evidence of correspondence for your records. My fear though is ebay doesn't have a hair of commercial acumen so all of this info will just fly past their hopeless offshore customer service centres so push hard to talk to a US agent - keep escalating all the way.

Failing the above, worse comes to worse, you have to relist. Not the end of the world, just administrative nuisance.

Keep us posted. Good luck
Old 3 September 2021, 10:13 AM   #113
JoJo78
"TRF" Member

By the way, his eBay buyer's name is: f1models

Not sure what his forum name is here, but he asked me not to mention him here after the sale.

(And I would NOT have until your disgusting insulting messages)
Old 3 September 2021, 02:40 PM   #114
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

A $2 Tudor (trash or treasure?)

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Shame on him.

eBay gives you little recourse, get it back and make sure you get the same watch you shipped,’bezel and bezel insert.

Once you get it, I will buy it form you and restore it.
Old 3 September 2021, 05:32 PM   #115
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Inevitable lock upcoming...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 06:01 PM   #116
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
By the way, his eBay buyer's name is: f1models

Not sure what his forum name is here, but he asked me not to mention him here after the sale.

(And I would NOT have until your disgusting insulting messages)
no surprise.

He is a known person here on TRF, VRF and various other forums. Banned multiple times under various handles.

Avoid at all costs going forward.

Note to all members here. I have warned about this person before.
Old 3 September 2021, 06:12 PM   #117
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I don't understand why he doesn't list the watch himself on eBay and sell it. He'll get his money back (perhaps more) and someone else can give it a shot.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 10:33 PM   #118
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
no surprise.

He is a known person here on TRF, VRF and various other forums. Banned multiple times under various handles.

Avoid at all costs going forward.

Note to all members here. I have warned about this person before.
Sadly, there’s been more than a few members banned here in recent months. Which one was he?
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 11:57 PM   #119
Oyster Perp
"TRF" Member

As has been said 'buyers remorse' and a few sour grapes methinks. He was fully aware of the problems with this and his watchmaker apparently told him to go for it and he would even do the work on the case for free and test his new laser welder. !!. When did that little nugget of advice change from the 'ex Rolex trained' guy ?.
Oyster Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 12:24 AM   #120
Oyster Perp
"TRF" Member

Note to all members here. I have warned about this person before.[/QUOTE]

Not vi******f was it ?
Oyster Perp is offline   Reply With Quote