The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2013, 03:01 AM   #121
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
All I know is, I'm holding off on any new APs until things settle down.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:02 AM   #122
mb23
Banned

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
All I know is, I'm holding off on any new APs until things settle down.
Correct.
mb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:05 AM   #123
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
This guy is just trying to start something with me for no reason.. You're also speaking to FremStar as well as he too has kept his in the plastic.
SubKing I am surprised you are even entertaining this dude Take a deep breath and relax the on-line horology game is full of trolls... My timepiece post and unveils on TRF are just a fraction of my collection, there are Patek and Audemar references I own that I will never post online. If he paid for my RG44 then by all means he could dictate on how I store and collect my timepieces since he has no relevance to my collecting habits I can actually care less what he thinks. ;-) All in all don't even worry about the price decrease as there is nothing that can be done but vent and that's why I always believe in buying right!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:07 AM   #124
mb23
Banned

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
SubKing I am surprised you are even entertaining this dude Take a deep breath and relax the on-line horology game is full of trolls... My timepiece post and unveils on TRF are just a fraction of my collection, there are Patek and Audemar references I own that I will never post online. If he paid for my RG44 then by all means he could dictate on how I store and collect my timepieces since he has no relevance to my collecting habits I can actually care less what he thinks. ;-) All in all don't even worry about the price decrease as there is nothing that can be done but vent and that's why I always believe in buying right!
Well said!
mb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:10 AM   #125
ticketmaster123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb23 View Post
Well said!
I don't really think Ash has said anything to give him 'troll' status.

Winding someone up for leaving protective stickers on their watch is just a bit of banter.
ticketmaster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:16 AM   #126
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Maybe now I can afford this

Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:23 AM   #127
psv
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I understand that emotions are flowing and I'd be upset if I just bought the piece myself as well, but c'est la vie. I'm sure a bunch of people bought $50K of Apple stocks betting they would have a blow-out quarter and instead they took an immediate 10% hit. Sh-t happens. In my view, you cannot use money that you really need to buy stupid things like watches, cars etc.

I thought Ash's comment was tongue in cheek, perhaps boarderline but hey, we always make fun at someone keeping the plastic on their watches around here. And keep in mind that there might be some cultural differences at play as this is an international community - it comes with the territory.

SK, if you bought your watch very recently, hopefully your AD or AP will do something for you.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:26 AM   #128
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketmaster123 View Post
I don't really think Ash has said anything to give him 'troll' status.

Winding someone up for leaving protective stickers on their watch is just a bit of banter.
Thank you!!! some of you guys are so highly strung its a joke!
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:32 AM   #129
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I did get a laugh out of your comments, however, this is a serious matter for SubKing and other folks who are reading about this AP MSRP price decrease as I am sure he as well as others probably paid close to retail for their RG44's so this may not be the time for jokes, especially on the web where words can be misconstrued...

I have always advised folks who tread into AP, PP, and VC territory to try and negotiate the best price for the reference they are interested in because as you are aware buying a RGRC is a different feeling than buying a Datejust!

FYI - I used the word troll as toungue in cheek since you called me a muppet on post 119! I may be green but that was a low blow!

All in all the price decrease is what it is... Carry on folks I will just read for now...

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:32 AM   #130
Bulliondesk
Banned

Quote:
I have just double confirmed this morning with 2 sources, one an AD owner and another solid source that AP is not, I repeat not charging a 10% premium to the AD's on gold models thus not changing their profit margin's..

I was told any AD that states that their profit margin has changed is just saying this to make more money on the watch due to the decrease by not discounting as much. This is all solid info.

So AD's can still give the same discounts as before the price drop.
SubKing.. This is not true. Dealer's discount on GOLD pieces will go from 43-47% to maximum 35% off MSRP. Also, MSRP's will be significantly dropping on GOLD pieces. AD's will receive a letter within the week or two from AP detailing this situation.
Bulliondesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 03:51 AM   #131
AshAP
"TRF" Member

No worries FremStar, the reality is that this affects all of us but we each deal with it in different ways. I only collected my rose gold rubber clad recently so I'm as eager to hear the facts as every other member here.

I must say that I wonder if this is more of a U.S situation than the UK as here we can't get anything like the discounts that are quoted on this site and there are only 7 shops in England that are now AP authorised dealers as 10 have recently had their accounts closed. There is clearly a proper strategy at play though and nothing official has yet been announced.
Old 26 January 2013, 04:01 AM   #132
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Still wondering why would AP do so?
Anyway, first time ever, people are more upset of a price decrease than a price increase.
Old 26 January 2013, 04:01 AM   #133
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I really can't beleive this at all.
Old 26 January 2013, 04:20 AM   #134
Fiddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP PAM ROLEX
I'm about to get RG RC. Is it on sale too?
Unbelievable news for me.
Old 26 January 2013, 04:22 AM   #135
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickson Lim View Post
Anyway, first time ever, people are more upset of a price decrease than a price increase.
Old 26 January 2013, 04:29 AM   #136
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickson Lim View Post
Still wondering why would AP do so?
Just goes to show...you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Can't make everyone happy
Old 26 January 2013, 05:12 AM   #137
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ash, no need to push it and continue with the offending either...
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 05:38 AM   #138
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 05:40 AM   #139
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulliondesk View Post
SubKing.. This is not true. Dealer's discount on GOLD pieces will go from 43-47% to maximum 35% off MSRP. Also, MSRP's will be significantly dropping on GOLD pieces. AD's will receive a letter within the week or two from AP detailing this situation.
Too soon and too much miss information going around.

You are right, after having a meeting this morning in person with my AD they have said no one knows what the new margins will be but most likely they will be effected and they will get the numbers from AP soon.

Also was told the price decrease officially takes place march 1st
Old 26 January 2013, 05:53 AM   #140
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Nice... With the price reduction, the AP ROO is now closer to my grubby mitts. I hope this isn't a trend though.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 06:19 AM   #141
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
My thought on the subject..

AP was up to 1000+ points of sales and is throwing out many of the authorized dealers that's not selling that great, AP's idea is having less POS with more stock and the result for making it easy on those AD's is reducing the price on gold pieces enabling AD's to have more in stock.

As i said when Mr.Bennahmias took over the steering wheel on the boat.. Many things will happen and the more to the better part.

Less AD's , Lower production numbers = more pieces to the remaining AD's and clients

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 06:31 AM   #142
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
AP was up to 1000+ points of sales and is throwing out many of the authorized dealers that's not selling that great, AP's idea is having less POS with more stock and the result for making it easy on those AD's is reducing the price on gold pieces enabling AD's to have more in stock.

As i said when Mr.Bennahmias took over the steering wheel on the boat.. Many things will happen and the more to the better part.

Less AD's , Lower production numbers = more pieces to the remaining AD's and clients
One unfortunate corollary... fewer places to try on APs.
Old 26 January 2013, 06:36 AM   #143
T.S.Eliot
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Dude, I hate to tell you this but FremStar is a muppet. He probably only told you to keep the plastic on to make you look like a muppet too.
Fremstar replied to you in a different manner which clearly shows what type of person he is.

I am surprised to see such levels of communication on here
"Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, / Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep seas swell / And the profit and loss. / A current under sea / Picked his bones in whispers. / As he rose and fell / He passed the stages of his age and youth / Entering the whirlpool. / Gentile or Jew / O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, / Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

Cheers,
K
T.S.Eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 06:41 AM   #144
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.Eliot View Post
Fremstar replied to you in a different manner which clearly shows what type of person he is.

+1 fremstar is a class act.
Old 26 January 2013, 06:50 AM   #145
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
+1 fremstar is a class act.
My buddy Sam is a prime example of a watch addict. He's irretrievably lost, down the rabbit hole, if you dare to follow.
Old 26 January 2013, 07:05 AM   #146
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
One unfortunate corollary... fewer places to try on APs.
Just let me know what references you want photos of

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 07:09 AM   #147
cdnyc
"TRF" Member

FYI, the NY boutique told me they've boosted up to 30k watch sales per year (up from 26k), and they made it sound like the goal is to increase further.
cdnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 07:11 AM   #148
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
I like this!
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 07:17 AM   #149
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.Eliot View Post

FremStars avatar is Kermitt the frog.....a muppet and commedy creation for the entertainment of children? My comment was certainly not a put down but a joke based around his avatar. As my English sense of humour is clearly upsetting some readers I will do more reading and less writing.
Old 26 January 2013, 07:28 AM   #150
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
FremStars avatar is Kermitt the frog.....a muppet and commedy creation for the entertainment of children? My comment was certainly not a put down but a joke based around his avatar. As my English sense of humour is clearly upsetting some readers I will do more reading and less writing.
Well at least you're not blessed/cursed with a Canadian sense of humor like me.