The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2023, 06:31 AM   #1
scotty_b_goode
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Explorer 1 214270 mk2 authenticity concerns- First Rolex bought through eBay

I recently bought an Explorer 214270 mk2 on EBay and wanted to get the forums thoughts on some concerns. The seller had great feedback and is associated with a store in New York I read up on, and it came with box and 2020 warranty card.

I attached some pictures but my concerns are that the rehaut is not just misaligned but doesn’t seem to fit the full hour markers all the way around — at ~7 it is slightly to left of marker and at 5 it is slightly to off to the right of the marker. The crown at 12 is slightly to the right.

The etched crown at 6 is more like between 5:45-6.

The Rolex engraving on the clasp seems very shallow.

These are just the things I could describe because otherwise I just have this feeling like I’m not holding the real thing. It also fits differently on my wrist than expected, although my other Rolex is an early 2000s yacht master so I know things have changed a lot since then.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6432.jpeg (90.2 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6440.jpeg (100.3 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6450.jpeg (78.2 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6458.jpeg (71.1 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6461.jpeg (21.6 KB, 505 views)
scotty_b_goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 07:31 AM   #2
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Looks ok from here. Bracelet is Genuine, I can tell you that right now.

NOTE: Rolex rehauts are occasionally misaligned. They aren't perfect.

How does the watch feel to wind and operate? Should be buttery smooth with audible clicks when winding. There should be no stutter in the hands as you set the time etc. Should operate as a precise instrument.

Also, any sharp edges anywhere on the case? Should be nicely finished.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 07:39 AM   #3
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Looks like it has been through ebay's authentication process, which means it has been checked over by qualified personnel, you should have nothing to worry about.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 07:56 AM   #4
scotty_b_goode
"TRF" Member

Also, when googling the bracelet code "1LQ" the first results are all about fake watches, which is concerning. Not sure if there is another place to look up bracelet codes or if they are random...
Old 8 December 2023, 07:58 AM   #5
scotty_b_goode
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Looks ok from here. Bracelet is Genuine, I can tell you that right now.

NOTE: Rolex rehauts are occasionally misaligned. They aren't perfect.

How does the watch feel to wind and operate? Should be buttery smooth with audible clicks when winding. There should be no stutter in the hands as you set the time etc. Should operate as a precise instrument.

Also, any sharp edges anywhere on the case? Should be nicely finished.
How can you tell about the bracelet?

The end of the lugs is pretty sharp - sharper than I expected. Not dangerously sharp, but more than I'm used to with my old yachtmaster.

Last edited by scotty_b_goode; 8 December 2023 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: ask about bracelet
Old 8 December 2023, 08:23 AM   #6
Wario406
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I have a 2017 214270 Mk2. The bracelet endlinks are embossed C4R 77200. Dont know there exists varying models but I’m confident mine is real.

It looks like your rehaut is lined up to me in the pictures. Is the model number on the case between the lug correct?
Wario406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 08:41 AM   #7
scotty_b_goode
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario406 View Post
I have a 2017 214270 Mk2. The bracelet endlinks are embossed C4R 77200. Dont know there exists varying models but I’m confident mine is real.

It looks like your rehaut is lined up to me in the pictures. Is the model number on the case between the lug correct?
Interesting. I wonder if there is a list of bracelet codes for different models. I do worry about the fact that the google results for my bracelet code link to replica sites - but the ones I read seemed to maybe be referring to the clasp rather than the bracelet SEL codes...

The model number is correct between the 12 lugs. It is a pretty light engraving (or etching?) and was hard to take a picture of, but I did see it there.

Edit: Another note - when googling your bracelet endlink code C4R I also get a lot of results for fake watch forums and pages, so if you are sure yours is real then I guess it means that the search results aren't really much for me to be worried about then.

Last edited by scotty_b_goode; 8 December 2023 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Add info
Old 8 December 2023, 08:44 AM   #8
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_b_goode View Post
How can you tell about the bracelet?

The end of the lugs is pretty sharp - sharper than I expected. Not dangerously sharp, but more than I'm used to with my old yachtmaster.
I’ve handled many Rolex watches. Engravings on the superclones are horrible. This is precise, deep engraving. Not shallow and sloppy. Under the loupe it will look clean.

Clasp codes, like serial numbers, have become random circa ~ 2011.

Replica makers pull codes from Gen watches. Part of the reason many of us like to keep our serial numbers private…

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 08:55 AM   #9
Wario406
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if there is a list of bracelet codes for different models. I do worry about the fact that the google results for my bracelet code link to replica sites - but the ones I read seemed to maybe be referring to the clasp rather than the bracelet SEL codes...

The model number is correct between the 12 lugs. It is a pretty light engraving (or etching?) and was hard to take a picture of, but I did see it there.

Edit: Another note - when googling your bracelet endlink code C4R I also get a lot of results for fake watch forums and pages, so if you are sure yours is real then I guess it means that the search results aren't really much for me to be worried about then.

I am confident mine is real.
Wario406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 09:11 AM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s worrying if you search your serial number and get resul. Endlink codes on the other hand are general and used by replicas, so no worries
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 09:12 AM   #11
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Looks fine to me OP. The authenticators aren't going to miss a fake modern Rolex. Can't speak to original vintage hands and what not but a 5 or 6 digit Rolex is easy for them.
Old 8 December 2023, 09:54 AM   #12
scotty_b_goode
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario406 View Post
I am confident mine is real.
Thanks - that clears up the concern on the search results I was seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Looks fine to me OP. The authenticators aren't going to miss a fake modern Rolex. Can't speak to original vintage hands and what not but a 5 or 6 digit Rolex is easy for them.
I guess I am just paranoid - after reading some stories about the Ebay authenticators, and from my research on trying to spot fakes when I was searching for the watch to buy. This one group I found on Reddit is dedicated to fakes, and some of their watches (including a copy of this same Explorer mk2) look very real and I personally couldn't tell a difference, so I am probably just paranoid after seeing all that stuff...

It sounds like nobody has identified any glaring problems with it, and the source and docs with the purchase don't lead me to think fake, BUT, if I felt I just needed that 100% certainty - Does Rolex Service Center Dallas still do authentication checks (for a fee of course)? The watch is also under warranty so maybe could send it in for them to check out the regulation or something..?
Old 8 December 2023, 11:15 AM   #13
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I think you are being overly paranoid. My Exp 39 also has a rehaut that "doesn't fit", in the sense that the "R" and "X" very very slightly drift away from the hour markers as you go around the Rehaut. This is actually standard on all of 214270 references. They never had an exact fit that lines up with the markers to the micron. The coronet alignment at 12 o'clock is also subject to small "factory tolerances", as is the Laser-etched crown.
Old 8 December 2023, 12:17 PM   #14
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Explorer 1 214270 mk2 authenticity concerns- First Rolex bought through eBay

The crown etching, on the crystal is near the 6:00 marking, not exactly at 6:00, so that should not concern you. Pics look good, and I have an Explorer.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 12:28 PM   #15
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Looks good,enjoy!!
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 02:48 PM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
"Bought through ebay...." That alone makes me cringe, why....worries like in this thread.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 05:19 PM   #17
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I recently bought an Explorer 214270 mk2 on EBay and wanted to get the forums thoughts on some concerns. The seller had great feedback and is associated with a store in New York I read up on, and it came with box and 2020 warranty card.

I attached some pictures but my concerns are that the rehaut is not just misaligned but doesn’t seem to fit the full hour markers all the way around — at ~7 it is slightly to left of marker and at 5 it is slightly to off to the right of the marker. The crown at 12 is slightly to the right.

The etched crown at 6 is more like between 5:45-6.

The Rolex engraving on the clasp seems very shallow.

These are just the things I could describe because otherwise I just have this feeling like I’m not holding the real thing. It also fits differently on my wrist than expected, although my other Rolex is an early 2000s yacht master so I know things have changed a lot since then.

Any thoughts appreciated.
bought mine directly from boutique in August 2020...sometimes the rehauts dont always perfectly line up at the 12'oclock position (sorry for blurry picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer 1.jpg (95.7 KB, 302 views)
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 04:30 AM   #18
scotty_b_goode
"TRF" Member

I am less bothered by the fact that I bought it through Ebay (since it was from a specific shop that also sells on Ebay) as I am the landscape of the secondhand market. I think I would be just as paranoid if I bought it from a physical store. In the back of my mind I am going to remember all those dirt bags on Reddit talking about their super clones and replacing the dials and stuff in genuine watches and selling them then selling the genuine parts for extra profit.
Old 9 December 2023, 04:45 AM   #19
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
First, the eBay Authentication Program is very legit, so stop worrying. Secondly, why are you reading a forum, about counterfeit watches? No good can come from that. From what I understand, there is a lot of awful stuff on Reddit. I stay away, no matter the subject.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 08:51 AM   #20
scotty_b_goode
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
First, the eBay Authentication Program is very legit, so stop worrying. Secondly, why are you reading a forum, about counterfeit watches? No good can come from that. From what I understand, there is a lot of awful stuff on Reddit. I stay away, no matter the subject.

Kat

Thanks Kat & everyone for all the feedback. I will try to drop the paranoia, and start enjoying the watch.
Old 9 December 2023, 06:42 PM   #21
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

OP, I understand that the authentication process includes removing caseback. Doing so would immediately reveal differences to a trained and knowledgeable watchmaker (and keen hobbyist too). I would not be concerned at all.
Old 13 April 2024, 12:45 PM   #22
dlack
"TRF" Member

Rolex Service Centres, as I understand, generally do not provide stand-alone authentication services. However, to allay any concerns, you could bring it to your local RSC and tell them you'd like a 'service quote'. They will briefly examine the watch and run the serial number through their system, which will tell them where and when the watch was originally sold, and its warranty status. This will of course provide the 'authentication' you're looking for. If it weren't authentic, you'd be advised on the spot.