The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 March 2018, 03:27 PM   #1
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Talk me in or out of buying Seamaster Day Date

I'm looking at a Seamaster 150m aqua tera 41.5 mm Day-Date with black dial.
It seems like a pretty nice watch for everyday wear. Any members here that have this model and like it?
Thanks
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:53 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Oh, excellent idea! I'm a fan. I wear a 41.5mm Aqua Terra (date only) with a blue dial. It's the first-generation version of the caliber 8500 model without the polished center links. I love it.

My Aqua Terra was gift from my wife, and one of the factors in choosing that one was a visit we made together to an AD while visiting Toronto for a show. The Aqua Terra Day-Date was newly released at that time, and the AD had one with a blue dial in the display case. I begged them not to take it out and tempt me, so of course they did. It was a dynamite piece! Anyhow, a few months later there was an occasion for my wife to choose a gift for me, and for various reasons we wound up going with the date-only Aqua Terra, but I still think about the first impression that day-date model made on me.

A couple of other observations, in case these are news to you:

The case of the day-date is slightly taller than the case of the date-only version, but I thought the proportions of the day-date were excellent with that slight increase in height. It's not as pronounced as an IWC Portuguese reference 5001 with the 7-day movement, but it does have just a bit more presence than the date-only version.

The setting of the time and day/date are different on the day-date version. The date-only version has a jumping hour hand, and the watch continues to run while the hour is being adjusted. This also is how the date is adjusted (it's not a traditional quick-set date). Pulling the crown out to a second stop then hacks the movement while the minutes hand is adjusted. This allows correcting the date or adjusting for a different time zone without hacking the movement, and that's a good thing because the caliber 8XXX movements are very stable and rarely require corrections for time keeping. The day-date, on the other hand, has a more traditional system of quick-set day and date corrections with the crown pulled to its first position, and hacking/setting of the time with the crown pulled to its second position.

I really liked the day-date version of the Aqua Terra, so I'm a yes vote.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 02:08 AM   #3
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Oh, excellent idea! I'm a fan. I wear a 41.5mm Aqua Terra (date only) with a blue dial. It's the first-generation version of the caliber 8500 model without the polished center links. I love it.

My Aqua Terra was gift from my wife, and one of the factors in choosing that one was a visit we made together to an AD while visiting Toronto for a show. The Aqua Terra Day-Date was newly released at that time, and the AD had one with a blue dial in the display case. I begged them not to take it out and tempt me, so of course they did. It was a dynamite piece! Anyhow, a few months later there was an occasion for my wife to choose a gift for me, and for various reasons we wound up going with the date-only Aqua Terra, but I still think about the first impression that day-date model made on me.

A couple of other observations, in case these are news to you:

The case of the day-date is slightly taller than the case of the date-only version, but I thought the proportions of the day-date were excellent with that slight increase in height. It's not as pronounced as an IWC Portuguese reference 5001 with the 7-day movement, but it does have just a bit more presence than the date-only version.

The setting of the time and day/date are different on the day-date version. The date-only version has a jumping hour hand, and the watch continues to run while the hour is being adjusted. This also is how the date is adjusted (it's not a traditional quick-set date). Pulling the crown out to a second stop then hacks the movement while the minutes hand is adjusted. This allows correcting the date or adjusting for a different time zone without hacking the movement, and that's a good thing because the caliber 8XXX movements are very stable and rarely require corrections for time keeping. The day-date, on the other hand, has a more traditional system of quick-set day and date corrections with the crown pulled to its first position, and hacking/setting of the time with the crown pulled to its second position.

I really liked the day-date version of the Aqua Terra, so I'm a yes vote.
I wasn't aware that it had the quick set feature but is something that I like. I appreciate your great information and your time. I'm hoping to post a picture soon.
Old 6 March 2018, 05:38 AM   #4
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I would never talk you out of this.

It is a great, very versatile watch. You will love it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 05:51 AM   #5
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I'd try and talk you out of this, but only to talk you INTO a Speedmaster. :)
Old 6 March 2018, 07:28 AM   #6
maximus1
"TRF" Member

I had my Wife rush down this morning to get it for me. I'm new to Omega with this being my first. Thank you Tony for the great information and Seth for the encouragement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8729 omega.JPG (155.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 6 March 2018, 11:31 AM   #7
WJGESQ
Banned

Nice watch. More bang than the Rolex.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 04:11 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Talk me in or out of buying Seamaster Day Date

It’s a nice watch - but I wish Omega could get its designers in a room and agree on which hand(s) gets the arrow(s).

On some, both have arrows. The Seamaster GMT:

On this model we’re discussing, the Seamaster Day Date, it’s the minute hand.

On the 233.30.41.21.01.001, it’s the hour hand.

Really confused styling elements, don’t you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 05:44 AM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1 View Post
I had my Wife rush down this morning to get it for me. I'm new to Omega with this being my first. Thank you Tony for the great information and Seth for the encouragement.
AWESOME! I'm really happy for you. Love the black dial.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #10
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I agree. I don't care for the arrow on the minute hand.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 03:23 PM   #11
pleasure_of_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 116234
I got a question I sold my omega day date I got the previous week. I sold it for 2900$ and it was in decent condition but with no box and papers did I get screwed over?
pleasure_of_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 05:58 PM   #12
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasure_of_watches View Post
I got a question I sold my omega day date I got the previous week. I sold it for 2900$ and it was in decent condition but with no box and papers did I get screwed over?
What did you pay for it the previous week?
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 07:38 PM   #13
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

I own this watch with a blue dial

The first watch was stolen from me and I bought it once more.

I intend to keep it for my lifetime because is has all the virtues I really need: functionality, water resistance, goes with any attire.

The day and date are changing instantly at midnight, the accuracy is +0.3 sec a day.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote