The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 July 2018, 02:39 AM   #1
NickHayden
"TRF" Member

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore vs Diver

I have been looking for an Audemars Piguet for 6 months now. I was primarily focused on the (Volcano, White Themes, Elephant or Panda). Based on my research and watching the market it appears as if $14-$15K (Pending Yr, Condition and Series) is a pretty reasonable price to expect. I recently started liking the diver edition in ceramic (Black w/ Orange). After some initial research it looks like $19k could be a reasonable offer.

So my questions are:

1) Are my expectations too lofty?

2) Do you think the Diver is worth the extra money? I am ok with both looks, I didnt know which one holds their value better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
NickHayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:14 AM   #2
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHayden View Post
I have been looking for an Audemars Piguet for 6 months now. I was primarily focused on the (Volcano, White Themes, Elephant or Panda). Based on my research and watching the market it appears as if $14-$15K (Pending Yr, Condition and Series) is a pretty reasonable price to expect. I recently started liking the diver edition in ceramic (Black w/ Orange). After some initial research it looks like $19k could be a reasonable offer.

So my questions are:

1) Are my expectations too lofty?

2) Do you think the Diver is worth the extra money? I am ok with both looks, I didnt know which one holds their value better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think your assessment for the ROO is about right. The ceramic diver however, I think 19K is going to be low. You are probably looking at something around 22K to get a good one from a reputable seller. And yes, the ceramic or forged carbon is 100% worth the additional cost, coming from someone who owns both steel and forged carbon offshores.

As for value..... they both do well but is that really why we buy these? Buy what makes you happy.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 06:20 AM   #3
Burlington
"TRF" Member

If you can pick up a ceramic diver that is an amazing piece. The other option is to hang on (indefinitely perhaps) for the so called grey ghost 42mm with ceramic bezel from SIHH. Costs will likely be higher though.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 06:27 AM   #4
NickHayden
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the information. I try and do my due diligence when it comes to pricing. It gets tough to value some of these. Prices can literally be all over the place. The "Grey Ghost" looks awesome! I am in no hurry seeing as I have already waited 6 months. I am just looking for the right watch at the right price. I do not need a steal of a deal, just a fair price. Sometimes I get caught up in the search or set unrealistic expectations. I like to refer to others opinions to see if they align with mine, essentially keeping me in check.
NickHayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 06:52 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
CE Diver is a sought after watch so prices will be high, I like the Panda and good value too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 07:03 AM   #6
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

Just picked a ceramic diver recently. I would think your looking at a minimum 22k for a good example.
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Jp28
"TRF" Member

If you can afford the extra I would go ceramic. Great looking, no bezel scratch concerns and will hold value better (LE etc)
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 08:28 AM   #8
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

ceramic diver, for me, is better than any 42 mm offshore. i dont like any of the 42mm designs, the 44 takes it for me. the diver is different, and if i were to go 42 i would get a diver, and the ceramic one at that.

tl;dr: ce diver > 42 ROO

ce diver can be had for $22k it seems. hit up paul in the classifieds, hes asking $21k
Old 18 July 2018, 09:09 AM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
For me the CE diver is the best regular production ROO, I love the look of the 44 chronos, but the look of the 42 models with round pushers not really, and to say the truth I don't think I would trade my CE diver for another ROO, even a 44 model, its really special, after 4 years it looks like new, plus it is rather rare as they made maximum 500, heard its even less, so they made less than most LE ROOs, the TI Schumacher was made in 1000 ex for example, so yes it is really worth it, but 19k is too low, don't think you will find a good one for that price, I think 22 is really the minimum and might also be a little too low...

Anyways get it you won't regret it, amazing watch, great presence without being too big, just perfect in the category IMHO
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 10:33 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I doubt you will get a clean example for 19k. I traded my 15707 into a trusted seller and got 20k 2 years ago.

I would think 23k min for a good example.
Old 18 July 2018, 10:43 AM   #11
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Would love to see examples of the ceramic diver being sold for 19K. Never seen one go for that price, ever. I think 22K in the current market is aspirational, but was attainable previously.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 10:47 AM   #12
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad362wiley View Post
ceramic diver, for me, is better than any 42 mm offshore. i dont like any of the 42mm designs, the 44 takes it for me. the diver is different, and if i were to go 42 i would get a diver, and the ceramic one at that.

tl;dr: ce diver > 42 ROO

ce diver can be had for $22k it seems. hit up paul in the classifieds, hes asking $21k
Scratched diver with undated warranty. There is a reason is it priced that way.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 11:05 AM   #13
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Scratched diver with undated warranty. There is a reason is it priced that way.
true!