The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2018, 11:01 AM   #31
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I wouldn't accept this deal. For a couple of reasons: "90 days, 3 monthes, 6 monthes" delivery time sounds to me exactly like this: you, customer, engage to buy the watch from us, seller XY, and we'll do our best (LOL!) to
find you the watch within that time lapse. How and from whom? Well let's see, seller has taken enough time to find it per chance. If the seller can't deliver it within 90 days what has happened? You have lended your money for no interest and have only lost time in finding your watch. I could understand maximum a little (about 10%) fund which must become money for a watch, or otherwise money back on day 91! I'd say pass on and find an immediate cash against watch deal, even if you've have to pay something more. Or go pre-owned.
Bruno Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 12:31 PM   #32
Valkyrie
"TRF" Member

I would not pay in full or even place a deposit for an AD to order an LV for me. If I am going to buy from an AD I expect them to provide me with service commensurate with the significant profit they will enjoy as a result of my purchase. One of the services I demand is that they procure the watch for me and make it available to me for purchase. If they cannot do that then I will take my business elsewhere.

Some have suggested that it is reasonable to put a deposit down for a "special order." I suppose this would be appropriate if you are ordering a one-of-a-kind piece with your initials engraved in it but there is nothing at all "special" about an LV and in fact the AD can sell as many LV's as Rolex will ship them so they take zero risk in ordering one for you even if you choose not to buy it.

You get what you are willing to accept and paying in advance for something the AD should maintain in stock is not acceptable to me.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 12:34 PM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
An AD asked me to prepay for a blro, with no time frame for delivery

I politely declined.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 01:06 PM   #34
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
I do it, sometimes it takes longer but if they give an estimate it's usually pretty accurate for me...my AD also will refund the full amount if I get impatient but AD always comes through...
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 01:19 PM   #35
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Why do ADs do it? Because they can. It's another money maker/margin improver like requiring cash/wire rather than taking a credit card.

Full disclosure: I have had a $6k deposit for a SS Daytona for almost two years. Nope, I'm not thrilled about it. But I will be if/when I get delivery! It's a tough world out there for desirable watches, and you sometimes have to accept terms you don't like because you hold precious few cards.

To those who say, "No way," I understand that too.
Old 23 July 2018, 02:54 PM   #36
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

other options?

I wouldn't pay in advance for a watch sight unseen. Too many factors can go wrong upon receipt.

Besides, there is non guarantee that you will get the desired watch within the estimated timeframe.

I'd look for other options...
79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 03:12 PM   #37
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Plain and simple they want to use your cash not their cash....as a business owner I get that to a degree but it can burn your good customers.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 04:38 PM   #38
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Never. The AD and Rolex could kma before I'd bow to that bs. There are a lot of nice watches for sale at Jewelry/Watch Shops, Rolex only happens to be one brand.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 04:38 PM   #39
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepilot15 View Post
Our local AD wants 50% down non-refundable. This is why I’ve been cultivating a relationship with an out of state AD!

I would laugh and them and leave. 50% deposit, no issue. Non refundable, what a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 08:17 PM   #40
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I just bought a blue/platinum Yacht Master paying 50 percent at time of order. Of course, I got the watch the next day so no big deal. I did the same thing a while ago on a BLNR although the wait was 3 days.

I have patronized the store and the sales person for almost 20 years so I have a good relationship with them. I don’t buy huge ticket items, but I buy consistently.

I don’t mind the deposit policy. I’ve encountered 100 percent deposits when ordering bespoke items. It’s just business driven by circumstance. It’s not a personal vendetta.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 08:20 PM   #41
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
The TRF community was very helpful when I posted asking whether a similar policy at my local AD seemed out of line. Generous members here referred me to their ADs for better service, so perhaps there will be similar messages in your PM in-box.

I'm pretty sure I have never been asked to do this by any sort of retailer before, and yet it seems there are a number of Rolex dealers adopting this policy.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 08:22 PM   #42
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Plain and simple they want to use your cash not their cash....as a business owner I get that to a degree but it can burn your good customers.
This is the explanation that is most logical, and I agree that burning customers is too high of a price to pay. Cash is cheap lately.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 08:58 PM   #43
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
How bad do you want the watch at retail? On most pay in full or significant deposit situations I would decline but I think this is different. You have bought from the AD before and 90 days is not bad for retail on the watch. The deposit would have to be 100% refundable, not a credit toward another item. If you are still concerned contact your CC company and understand an protections they can offer you after 90 days if you go that route. I would assume that the AD is stopping the salespeople from having an issue selling the watch to multiple customers or calling the list. Pre-paid moves you to the head of the list. I would do it if the AD met my terms and I would wait. I also think the Hulk is a great watch and it is in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180703_095641 (002).jpg (259.2 KB, 124 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:24 PM   #44
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I would not do that, not worth the hassle of trying to get the money back when the deal goes south
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:37 PM   #45
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
If I was guaranteed to receive the watch within a given timeframe, I'd pay in advance, in full.
I would have gladly paid in full in advance for my Daytona if they would have said they could get it within 3 months or even 6 months. I think this tactic varies by AD.
I put nothing down on my Daytona, was even told it was not necessary when I asked to be added to the list.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:11 PM   #46
tng11
"TRF" Member

One of our local ADs has this ridiculous policy - full prepayment in advance for any of the in-demand SS references, and they may or may not quote you a timeline for delivery, which is not binding. Non-refundable too. It's ridiculous given that they could easily sell the watch to the next person in line on the same day. I can get a deposit of some kind to keep only serious people on the list, but full pre-payment with no refund is just a bridge too far for me.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:25 PM   #47
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I wouldn't do it. When shelling out thousands I like to try a piece and inspect it before I buy it, call me old school. So many potential what ifs... (AD goes bust, takes ages, comes faulty, you don't like it, etc.)
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:31 PM   #48
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

I do 50/50. There is a lot of risk on your part if they go out of business.
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:42 PM   #49
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrots View Post
I expressed an interest in a new LV with a dealer whom I have bought from in the recent past. I was told that I would need to pay for it in full and that they would then order it and hope to deliver it to me within 90 days.

Last time around I told them what I wanted, waited for it to arrive and then paid for it the same day that it arrived, and so I ought to be on their non tire kicker list. And even if I did flake on the order this is not a hard watch to sell to someone else.....

So I gotta ask....Is this the latest new strategy for pissing people off and pushing them away? A deposit is one thing, but 9k now for a watch in 90 days...…….?!
It's not something I would do considering the current state of affairs.

Several years ago I ordered a Milgauss from a smaller family owned AD. This was after the initial demand when the GV model was released and they were no longer sought after as aggressively. I paid in full up front, though I was not asked to. They did ask for a sizable deposit as their inventory was slightly smaller than larger chain ADs. They told me point blank they would have it in two weeks and true to their word, they did. Perhaps they already had it on order, perhaps they placed the order that day and knew they could get it.

With the way things are now, laying out 9k+ USD for a model that they "might" get in 90 days is a stretch. If they could give me an assurance, I might consider it. I think many of us would pay MSRP for a Daytona if we could be told specifically when the reference would arrive. If someone said, I guarantee you in 6 months that you would have the BLRO or Daytona, I think many of us would be more than fine with that. "Maybe" is a big "if" these days with so many stories of lists and preferential offerings.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:47 PM   #50
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

If the AD is sure to be in existence for the next 5 years and you really want the watch, and you can pay by CC, then sure do it. But it is in really poor taste especially since you have bought from them before. If you go through w it and get the watch, I would be sure to tell your AD how insulting of a process this is for established customers. My AD would never do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:55 PM   #51
77T

Well you can always “get even” by saying yes, and then paying for the order with a 90-day Promissory Note.

They do offer AD financing, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:55 PM   #52
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The landscape has changed a great deal since your last time, I expect.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:59 PM   #53
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Unreasonable.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:04 PM   #54
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Why do ADs do it? Because they can. It's another money maker/margin improver like requiring cash/wire rather than taking a credit card.

Full disclosure: I have had a $6k deposit for a SS Daytona for almost two years. Nope, I'm not thrilled about it. But I will be if/when I get delivery! It's a tough world out there for desirable watches, and you sometimes have to accept terms you don't like because you hold precious few cards.

To those who say, "No way," I understand that too.
So your AD has collected interest on your 6K for almost 2 years? And you already own a Platona? If were me, I would get that money back, sounds like you are getting the short end of the stick here.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 11:05 PM   #55
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiman View Post
Why do so many people play this game with dealers and Rolex when there is no shortage of the 5 digit sports watches around? Yes, they're used now but so what? IMO, they are far better looking without the blingy PCL and polished lugs on some models. I know the bracelet is said to be improved with easier fit adjustments and some of the movements have been changed about but if you get 2-3 seconds a day from a 5 digit, is it really worth thousands of dollars to maybe gain one second better accuracy? If you prefer the 6 digit references, that's fine but look at the lunacy involved to acquire one at far above MSRP.

To me, this whole thing is madness. I'm sure I'll get insulted by some here but think about it.
Not everyone wants to buy used, and many do prefer the higher quality feel of the six digits.

The additional "thousands of dollars" is not paid to gain one second better accuracy. There are the tangible and intangible differences.

There's no lunacy required to obtain one above MSRP. That's easy. The lunacy we're seeing appears to be to obtain one at MSRP (not that it has to be that way)

Some may look at you and say buying a multi thousand dollar 5 digit Rolex was lunacy. But each to their own. You don't have to understand it, but its respectful to accept it

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 11:12 PM   #56
fiebru1119
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DBlue
I recently paid in full, in advance, for an LV allocation (my first) that was on its way to the AD unclaimed. They didn’t require me to do so, I volunteered- out of fear that someone else would walk in the door and do so. Had the watch on my wrist within 7 days.

Not exactly the situation you describe, but as others have mentioned, appears the landscape has changed a good bit.
fiebru1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 11:22 PM   #57
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
So your AD has collected interest on your 6K for almost 2 years? And you already own a Platona? If were me, I would get that money back, sounds like you are getting the short end of the stick here.
Yes, I have struggled with this. TBH, it's my only shot at getting a white Daytona, so I have put up with it. the lost interest over two years is not that meaningful, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't do this again, but have so far continued to stay the course.

I completely understand your point of view.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:24 PM   #58
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Find another dealer!
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 11:36 PM   #59
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Yeah I've never heard of such a thing
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 01:05 AM   #60
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Sounds like they changed their policy. If you feel comfortable dealing with them and have the 90 day's in a written guarantee I see no problem unless they go out of business. If you do it you may want to use your CC

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote