The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 May 2018, 01:00 AM   #1
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
42 to 44mm chrono with car racing history

I've had the ss daytona due to hype, but was too small for my liking and didn't sing to me so I sold. Never owned a tag, but the newer autavia looks really good with that panda dial, in-house movement, date, wr, with bracelet option. Any other 42mm to 44mm chronos I should consider that have a rich history in auto racing? Omega has the newer/larger speedmaster, but not sure if it comes with panda dial like the older/smaller models? Thanks for any recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 02:36 AM   #2
meganfox17
Banned

Megan's Top 6 Auto Racing Inspired Watches
( *Some0ne else can suggest the TAG Heuer Monza Watch 2016 reissue )

6# Baume & Mercier Clifton Club Shelby Cobra
5# Blancpain L Evolution R Chronographe Flyback Grande Date
4# TAG Heuer Formula 1 @Aston Martin Racing
3# Jack Heuer Autavia 85th Birthday Edition
2# Chopard Mille Miglia Chronograph 2017
1# The Omega Speedmaster Racing Co Axial Master Chronometer Do you like my Silver Panda Jack Heuer Autavia?
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 02:53 AM   #3
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Do you know if omega co axial racing comes in panda config?
Yes, your watch looks great! Need to try on both that one and the omega. I like the black autavia as well. Thanks again. I believe 1 & 3 are my current sheet list of race inspired chronos.

Old 15 May 2018, 03:52 AM   #4
meganfox17
Banned

The once upon a time Jedi Princess of the Omega forum turned to the dark side, now leader of the rebel forces >>> Of course I know the watch, don't be silly !
What you really want is The Omega Speedmaster Ref 3553.32 limited to only 500 pieces not 6000 as the usual case.The dial is belied by subtlety of the fonts used, almost invisible in the eyes of a non Omega watch collector
This particular model commemorates Michael's 6th World Championship title won in 2003 during the Japan Grand Prix race on the Suzuki Circuit. What makes this timepiece uniquely outstanding and extra special compared to other variations of Schumi Omega Speedy includ Ref 3559.32 is the fact that ALL 500 Chronometer grade pieces were specially produced for the Schumacher Ferrari team. I think Michael commissioned the watch with Omega and presented the watches as gifts to every member of Team Ferrari and close friends during Christmas that year.These timepieces were NOT meant to be sold on the international market so getting your hands on one of these babies is more difficult but they do pop up for sale from time to time. I don't know how much they are worth these days but 2 yrs ago, one rare piece in pristine condition was sold for US $10K. God Forbid such thoughts but if Michael Schumacher dies, the prices of his personalized touch Omega Speedies will skyrocket !
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 05:59 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I had a Chopard GTXL MM, and would highly recommend it and the Mille Miglia has a great racing history and a tragic story.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 03:14 PM   #6
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I second Megans choice of the Speedy with the racing dial...

Also I'd throw in IWC's Ingenieur watches: not a massive fan of the newest versions, but there are panda options. I also believe that this model can be "customized" wherein you can choose from a range of dials, case materials and straps...

this is the "Cancerella" LE version.

I'd look for a previous gen version: it came in many dialed versions, panda, reverse panda, high contrast/low contrast. The hour and minute totalizer at "12" makes elapsed time easy to read and cleans up the dial compared to the new tricompux versions.

asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 04:19 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Heuer Monaco, a true icon.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 05:04 PM   #8
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
42 to 44mm chrono with car racing history

The first maker to break into Formula 1 as a sponsor. The first official timer for the Olympics. The first maker to time (mechanically) to 1000th second. The first Auto chrono (among others). The first Swiss watch in space.

The watch worn by more racing car drivers that any other during the 60s and 70s.

Heuer Autavia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 01:54 PM   #9
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Nice watch for sure, but didn't appear to come on bracelet? Hot and humid here in mid ga. :-)

Old 18 May 2018, 01:56 PM   #10
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
The once upon a time Jedi Princess of the Omega forum turned to the dark side, now leader of the rebel forces >>> Of course I know the watch, don't be silly !
What you really want is The Omega Speedmaster Ref 3553.32 limited to only 500 pieces not 6000 as the usual case.The dial is belied by subtlety of the fonts used, almost invisible in the eyes of a non Omega watch collector
This particular model commemorates Michael's 6th World Championship title won in 2003 during the Japan Grand Prix race on the Suzuki Circuit. What makes this timepiece uniquely outstanding and extra special compared to other variations of Schumi Omega Speedy includ Ref 3559.32 is the fact that ALL 500 Chronometer grade pieces were specially produced for the Schumacher Ferrari team. I think Michael commissioned the watch with Omega and presented the watches as gifts to every member of Team Ferrari and close friends during Christmas that year.These timepieces were NOT meant to be sold on the international market so getting your hands on one of these babies is more difficult but they do pop up for sale from time to time. I don't know how much they are worth these days but 2 yrs ago, one rare piece in pristine condition was sold for US $10K. God Forbid such thoughts but if Michael Schumacher dies, the prices of his personalized touch Omega Speedies will skyrocket !
Very nice omega, but do they offer any panda dials that r more obtainable in the 44mm range? Thanks.

Old 18 May 2018, 02:00 PM   #11
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
The first maker to break into Formula 1 as a sponsor. The first official timer for the Olympics. The first maker to time (mechanically) to 1000th second. The first Auto chrono (among others). The first Swiss watch in space.

The watch worn by more racing car drivers that any other during the 60s and 70s.

Heuer Autavia

Now that is some history to go with a beautiful reissue. I think I'm between that one or the limited one. I like the clear caseback and white sub dials on black, but like the bezel of limited model. Thanks for sharing that beauty.

Old 17 July 2018, 11:08 AM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I've got to agree on this. Although it doesn't fit the dimension requirement being 41mm approximately. Steve McQueen made certain it was famous from his wearing it in the film LeMans!!! I like them a lot.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 03:27 PM   #13
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I would choose between the BP L'Evolution and the IWC Ingenieur.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 03:40 PM   #14
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Autavia. Richer history hard to find. Heuer 02 hard to better on specs as well. That includes Daytona calibre.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote