The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 May 2018, 11:22 AM   #1
aproo
"TRF" Member

Rubens Barrichello II Trade Opinions

Hi All,

I have always considered the RBII as the grail for ROO (IMO at least). My love for AP started when i saw the RBII in person eons ago. Recently a friend asked if i wanted to trade it with my AP Polaris and Daytona (116520) plus cash.

I am not sure if i should do this, but the RBII is just so stunning. However, i just recently acquired my Daytona and to give up 2 watches for RBII seems a lot.

What are your thoughts...? Has the RBII pricing come down a bit over the years? Or should i save and purchase it later down the road, but having 2 ROOs would be a lot and not sure if i will wear both of them frequently.

Cheers.
aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I wouldn’t ditch a Daytona for an RB II. I know an RB II is more exp but one is a true icon and the other just isn’t IMHO.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:12 PM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
The new Daytona is a stunning watch, I love the new design so much that I bought a white dial for my wife, it’s her favourite watch. The RB2 is a much bigger watch, if the size of the Daytona is right for your wrist then I’d say that the RB2 would be way too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:48 PM   #4
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
The new Daytona is a stunning watch, I love the new design so much that I bought a white dial for my wife, it’s her favourite watch. The RB2 is a much bigger watch, if the size of the Daytona is right for your wrist then I’d say that the RB2 would be way too big.

Daytona Ref 116520 is the gen prior to ceramic so has the SS bezel and silver sub dial rings.

AP Polaris is a 44mm isn’t it? So how do you get on with that OP?

RBII is 42mm and a watch I’m keen on adding to my collection.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 07:15 PM   #5
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Daytona Ref 116520 is the gen prior to ceramic so has the SS bezel and silver sub dial rings.

Thanks for pointing that out Sam. I really don’t like that generation Daytona, having said that my wife and I have had them but imo it looks a bit lame compared to the new ceramic version.

To the OP I’d do that deal.

Old 28 May 2018, 08:51 PM   #6
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
I wouldn’t ditch a Daytona for an RB II. I know an RB II is more exp but one is a true icon and the other just isn’t IMHO.
Of course, Daytonaman wouldn’t be at all biased!

The RBII is a fairly significant AP and if its the one you’ve always been after, I think I’d grab it whilst the opportunity is there, particularly if its in good condition and you know the history. Must admit I don’t know relative values so can’t comment on that.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 08:54 PM   #7
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

By the way, for what it’s worth I agree with Ash. A Daytona isn’t on my list, but if I ever did get one I’d absolutely want the ceramic bezel version, not the metal one.

If the relative values are balanced and its a good RBII, I think I’d go for it...
Old 28 May 2018, 11:28 PM   #8
aproo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post

Yes, the 116520 is the pre-ceramic.

The AP Polaris is a 42mm and it sits quite nicely on my wrist with a XS strap. The RB2 looks huge but i just like the design of the watch.
Old 29 May 2018, 10:32 PM   #9
aproo
"TRF" Member

So here is the RB2 on my wrist with rubber strap. Sorry the photo is not very clear but it certainly looks big. Just so tempting...

Old 29 May 2018, 11:12 PM   #10
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

It does appear quite big in relation to your wrist, if honest, but this might be down to camera perspective. I think if the case ends protrude over the wrist its too big, if not its ok.
Old 29 May 2018, 11:18 PM   #11
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't hesitate on the RB, Its such a special piece. A true Grail, I would say it has been the hardest to get from my collection. I can tell you that you can get a Daytona faster than the RB. I own both. Go for it you won't regret it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APRB2A.JPG (215.3 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg miamistroll.JPG (271.4 KB, 553 views)
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 01:32 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
RB2 is a big AP dog so tough to turn away if your grail. If in real life the lugs go over your wrist edges then I'd pass, not sure they do from that close pic.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 04:05 AM   #13
Jp28
"TRF" Member

RB2 is a complete grail. Get it and no need to look at more offshores.
If you even need to think about it, it may not actually be a grail !!
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 10:32 AM   #14
aproo
"TRF" Member

So my friend has been following up with me on the proposed trade and i am still torn about giving up my 2 watches plus cash. The RB2 is in very minty condition full set with original papers and box. Will also include the original RB2 and white AP rubber straps.

Below are my Polaris and Daytona. The other watches i have are a AP15300OR and a Pam 233. I tend to rotate my watches around during the week and if i do the trade, i will only be left with 3 watches (including the RB2).

Currently i wear my Daytona and 15300 on work days. My Polaris and Pam tend to be weekend wear. Although i wear the Pam more often than the Polaris. And my Pam i wear when i travel for work since it has the GMT function. I like the Polaris as it does not have the date making the dial a bit bigger.

Would the RB2 be too casual for work or more suited for casual friday and weekends?

Decisions decisions decisions...

Cheers.
Old 31 May 2018, 02:21 PM   #15
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
I would do it in a heartbeat!!! for a while I only had 2 watches!!! my beater was a Casio and I had these 2 pieces in rotation!! I was a happy.... now I have too many pieces and dont know what to wear 🤣🤣🤣!!!

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 03:25 PM   #16
peterpl
Banned

I would trade for sure. That Polaris does nothing for me and I'm not a fan of pre ceramic Daytona's.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 03:32 PM   #17
Timelover
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproo View Post
So here is the RB2 on my wrist with rubber strap. Sorry the photo is not very clear but it certainly looks big. Just so tempting...

IMO it looks ridiculous on your wrist - better go for something smaller in the AP ROO range if you fancy the models
Timelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 04:02 PM   #18
AshAP
"TRF" Member

It’s really down to how it looks on your wrist, the RB2 is definitely worth the trade but if it doesn’t suit you then there’s no point as you won’t enjoy wearing it.

Old 31 May 2018, 04:15 PM   #19
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelover View Post
IMO it looks ridiculous on your wrist - better go for something smaller in the AP ROO range if you fancy the models
Quote:
It’s really down to how it looks on your wrist, the RB2 is definitely worth the trade but if it doesn’t suit you then there’s no point as you won’t enjoy wearing it.

Agree it’s on the larger size but don’t forget OP is happily rotating his Polaris (42mm) and Pam 233 (44mm) at the moment so clearly happy with the oversize fit/feel.

For me the RBII is in my top 5 of AP ROO’s so would do the deal, plus I agree with Ash’s earlier post the 116520 is my least favourite Daytona and the Polaris pales against the RBII
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 05:28 PM   #20
Betta01
"TRF" Member

Very large watches with poor comfort level because it sits on a small wrist..
After the thrill of purchase, they normally dun last long in my collection.
End of the day comfort is still important..

YES OP..tat watch is way too big for u..

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Betta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 04:25 PM   #21
aproo
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the comments and input. After much deliberation and negotiations, i finally pulled the trigger to achieve my grail, a tick of my collection bucket list..!

The watch is absolutely stunning, can't believe that it is finally mine after first seeing it at least a good 10 years ago. IMO the design is so classic and certainly stood the test of time. Condition is superb and came with all papers and original RB2 box. Was initially worried about the Ti weight but with the ceramic bezel, it adds some nice weight to it. As for the size, i know a lot of folks reckon it is a tad big, but i find it just nice.

I had it switched back to the original leather strap and considering what other strap to match this. Might take the opportunity to look at a XS. Always been a hornback person but might not go well with this piece.

Even my wife agrees it is a good-looking watch. A lot of presence on the wrist. I am now down to 3 watches which makes it easier to rotate them for wrist time. Very happy and looking forward to the weekend.

Cheers everyone...!
Old 1 June 2018, 04:41 PM   #22
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Great choice, it looks really good on you. Re strap choices would the white rubber 44 strap fit?

Old 1 June 2018, 09:00 PM   #23
aproo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great choice, it looks really good on you. Re strap choices would the white rubber 44 strap fit?

My friend threw in the original AP white rubberclad, but not a real fan of white. It looks not bad, just that i prefer leather or hornback. Anyways, have plenty of time to decide what color but for now just enjoying the watch. Cheers.
Old 2 June 2018, 08:29 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Congrats, glad you went for it. Hope the Polaris went to a Basquiat fan.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 08:44 PM   #25
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Congrats to you mate!
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 09:57 PM   #26
nick c
Banned

Congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 01:36 AM   #27
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I would not hesitate giving up both of them for the RB, not a big fan of either watches, much prefer having the AP which is more special, only minus is that the case back is not display’ I like to see movements, but way nicer than your two, for me the only question is how much cash you need to add to get it? If it makes sense money wise sure do it.
Ok just saw you got it, good choice congrats
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 03:34 PM   #28
aproo
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Loving the watch.

Qn regarding the strap, what do you all think of the Navy Blue Hornback with Orange stitching? Does this strap match the RB2? The Navy Blue looks very dark and almost like a black unless light shines on it. The orange stitching really makes it stands out although i don't see any hint of orange in the watch to match the stitching.

Cheers.
Old 4 June 2018, 06:49 PM   #29
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
i'd go with a blue strap and yellow stitching...i think that is more of a racing color and matches the sub dial better.
Old 23 July 2018, 07:30 AM   #30
volcano
"TRF" Member

Congratulation, well done.
I did a similar deal recently: Daytona + 26400 + cash for RBII.
I met Rubens in person last year and decided to finally go for that model. I liked it a lot since it was launched.

The blue strap with orange stiching is too much for that watch. Better keep it simple.
I wear mine on a black rubber strap with 24mm titanium buckle.

Regards,
Hans
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote