The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 July 2018, 07:21 AM   #1
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Explorer 1 39mm next to Daytona C

Hi guys,
I got in a few lists for the Daytona C. It would be a bit soon to buy another watch now, but I figured that if it takes two years the timing might be perfect.
In any case, I have never seen them in person and would like a sense of size. My wrist is small, I am afraid that it may be too big for me. If thats the case, I might call the ADs and take my name off the lists.

Could anyone post a picture of a Daytona C (particularly the black dial) side by side with an Explorer I 39mm? I see that on paper the Daytona is a bit bigger, but we all know that measurements don't tell the whole story.

For the people that own / owned both: do you find the Daytona to wear much larger?

Thank you!
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 07:38 AM   #2
remrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I don’t have a picture of them side by side but I can tell you the Daytona is smaller. It’s not actually 40mm like Rolex says it is, but around 38.65mm. My wrists are on the smaller side and I think the Daytona fits me very well.
remrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Carrots
"TRF" Member

Watch: me eat ribs!
They are very comparable in size and in how they wear. They are also both VERY comfortable.
Old 9 July 2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrk View Post
I don’t have a picture of them side by side but I can tell you the Daytona is smaller. It’s not actually 40mm like Rolex says it is, but around 38.65mm. My wrists are on the smaller side and I think the Daytona fits me very well.
That's great to hear! What about thickness, do you find that the Daytona wears much prouder?
Old 9 July 2018, 08:18 AM   #5
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Not ideal but a couple I have

SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 08:21 AM   #6
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
^ Love those photos. The X1 is starting to look more and more appealing.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 08:27 AM   #7
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the Daytona C the same size as the Pm versions? If so, you should be able to see a PM Daytona at an AD near you. The weight will be different but the size of the case and bracelet should be the same.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the pictures!

I tried the PM ones, but the look and feel is so different compared to steel. I wanted to hear the first hand expirience from people that own or have expirienced both.
Old 9 July 2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

PM Daytona case shape slightly different than SS Daytona.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
PM Daytona case shape slightly different than SS Daytona.
I didn't know that. One more reason to ask for side by side pictures / opinions / owner's experience!

Thank you for the information.
Old 9 July 2018, 01:26 PM   #11
bob78h
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Haven't been able to try a steel Daytona yet but I've tried on TT and PM Daytonas and own a 39 Explorer. IMO the Daytona wears smaller due to the larger bezel and smaller dial.
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 02:07 PM   #12
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrots View Post
They are very comparable in size and in how they wear. They are also both VERY comfortable.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 09:11 PM   #13
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much to everyone that replied and thank you for the pictures.

If anyone has / could take a picture of them on the wrist that would be greatly appreciated.
And if I find a PM Daytona next time I visit my AD I will take a picture myself and post it here for people that might have the same question (despite the slight differences compared to the steel version, as I've learned here).
Old 11 July 2018, 09:45 AM   #14
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Guys,
Follow up question for Daytona owners. One of the reasons I love my GS and Explorer 1 is that nobody notices them, they really understated and under the radar.
How is the Daytona C? Do regular people know that it's a Rolex? Is it recognizable like a Sub?
Daytona owners: do people comment on your Daytona when you are wearing it?

I really prefer when people don't notice what I am wearing right away, I really don't like to draw attention to my wrist.
Old 11 July 2018, 10:39 AM   #15
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Im in the camp where I do not want anyone to know I'm wearing a Rolex other then watch enthusiasts. I think the new Daytona does not look like a typical Rolex but it looks very nice. My 116613LB was my flashiest Rolex and at at times felt a bit too much although it was also one of my favs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
Guys,
Follow up question for Daytona owners. One of the reasons I love my GS and Explorer 1 is that nobody notices them, they really understated and under the radar.
How is the Daytona C? Do regular people know that it's a Rolex? Is it recognizable like a Sub?

I really prefer when people don't notice what I am wearing right away, I really don't like to draw attention to my wrist.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:04 AM   #16
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
It's a watch, in real life no normal people will notice your watch.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:33 AM   #17
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
love those watches, but like the Explorer the best. i am biased. is it age? i am 52, am i growing tired of busier dials and dive watches (I have several) ? maybe.
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:36 AM   #18
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
I realised that there aren't nearly as many people who notice others watches as we think

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:40 AM   #19
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfcheung View Post
I realised that there aren't nearly as many people who notice others watches as we think

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
especially the explorer, really flies under the radar. squares wearing Sh!tter watches dont notice watches unless it SCREAMS rolex.
Old 11 July 2018, 11:41 AM   #20
Mrhenish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
My wife and I both have 116500s. One person noticed I was wearing one once. No one will notice.
Mrhenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:46 AM   #21
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Guys,

Most people don’t care what’s on the wrist. For those who catches a glimpse of watch, they tend to notice the size of it first.

For those who see the crown, no matter what model it is they will know it is a Rolex and generally something expensive or luxurious. I don’t think you’ll have to worry about the attention. People who will notice will notice. I don’t think the attention differs to the average person between a Explorer or black dial Daytona.

WIS will only be the ones that will know the difference in model.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:46 AM   #22
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

saw a guy wearing what i thought was a rolex today, so i said something (i always do). it was a gold seiko with a fluted bezel. he said, it reminded me of a rolex, that's why i bought it. lol.
Old 11 July 2018, 03:38 PM   #23
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I agree. Very few people you know will notice it. Even less strangers. That is why it is only your choice that should matter since you alone will be looking at it several times a day.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 08:29 PM   #24
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the replies! Just to clarify my concern is not attention (although I wouldn't like to attract any with anything I wear), but safety. I was raised in a country where I wouldn't wear a Seiko 5 for fear of being mugged, let alone anything close to a Rolex. I think my question should have been: will I fell safe wearing a watch that's so expensive given that I fell safe wearing my explorer? That's the kind of "do people know the watch or notice that it's a Rolex" that I meant.
Old 23 July 2018, 11:17 AM   #25
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Hi guys,

As I look more and more into getting a Daytona, I came across a specific model that I want to ask you all about. And I preferred to bring this thread back rather than starting a new one.

I am talking about the 116519LN, white gold on a OysterFlex with the steel dial. It's the most beautiful current production Daytona IMHO.

However, being significantly more expensive than the steel models (I am talking MSRP, I wouldn't consider paying above MSRP), I would like to ask you all: bought at MSRP, would this WG model hold it's value? I know some people don't like this question, but it's an important factor for a lot of people, including myself.

And please, disregard the waiting time. I don't mind waiting years and years for a steel one at MSRP. The thing is that I like the WG dial much more, but I'd really rather have it on a bracelet. And the steel models are cool and have the huge advantage of being a solid "investment" (do I dare to use this word here? LOL).

What do you guys think?

PS: picture taken from an article of ablogtowatch ( https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-c...ceramic-bezel/ )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_captura_de_tela_2018-07-22_às_210223.jpg (41.2 KB, 454 views)
Old 24 July 2018, 11:08 PM   #26
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Anyone?
Old 24 July 2018, 11:31 PM   #27
Ss888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anyone?
No one knows the answer.....

If you want Steel Daytona c to be available at retail price, or WG Daytona to hold its value, you’ll have to be prepare to wait....

Buy what you like and you won’t have to sell it.
Ss888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 11:25 AM   #28
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss888 View Post
No one knows the answer.....

If you want Steel Daytona c to be available at retail price, or WG Daytona to hold its value, you’ll have to be prepare to wait....

Buy what you like and you won’t have to sell it.
I am prepared to wait. And I do like them both, but neither of them are perfect IMO. I love the WG dial but don't like the strap. And I love the steel bracelet but don't love the dials of the steel models.
Old 25 July 2018, 11:28 AM   #29
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I wore my 16500 for not even 1 hour the first day and someone came up to me in a Chick-Fil-A asking in awe of it was the stainless steel ceramic Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote