The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 July 2018, 11:36 PM   #31
ragsk
Banned

Yeah I read it too. Looks like the OP just likes collecting hard to get watches rather than wearing them.

I also like picking up hard to get watches as it kinda feels nice to own something so desired by many but I always buy to wear. Sure look into resale value as you never know whats around the corner but buy primarily if you actually like the watch and intend to give it proper wrist time (without stickers on :-) ).I have never sold a watch in my life..........probably not a good thing as I have a few old watches that i never wear......

Yesterday I turned down a BLNR and a Sub date. Maybe I could have made money selling them but I would rather someome buy them for retail price who actually will wear amd enjoy them. I cant tell you the frustration I went through trying to source two SD43s for my sons. Hated the fact that I had to suck up to ADs whilst there were tons being sold by greys. Really a poor dynamic.

I dont mean to preach. Actually screw it I will - if you dont intend to wear a watch, then dont buy it please.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 01:49 AM   #32
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Is there an AP comparable to the “rare” Rolex Daytona? Daytona’s are not rare. Difficult to buy NIB but easily obtainable in the secondary market, or grey market. I saw three stainless with white dials listed all at the same price at one dealer’s website. I think you might be thinking of ‘exotic’. Rare would be a one-of-a-kind, and be made for public sale. The AP blue dial models are scarce but not rare. The Paul Newman Daytona is rare, because Newman owned it. There will never be another one. The same model is available on vintage dealers sites, just not having the distinction of ownership.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 02:39 AM   #33
hdfb910
"TRF" Member

I kinda got stumped at the statement "hard to find and affordable price" Audemars Piguet...doesn't seem like those two positions go together, but I guess affordable is all relative.
Patek Philippe 5711/1A-010, Patek Philippe 5170G, Patek Philippe 5227R, Audemar Piguet 15400or, Audemar Piguet 15707ce, Audemar Piguet 26331IP, Audemar 15500 Blue dial, Rolex Pepsi 16710, Rolex Sub 116619LB (Smurf) F.P Journe Platinum Chronometre Souverain, Old School Breitling SuperOcean A17360, Jaeger LeCoultre Geophysic Tru Seconds

Instagram: @donpedro_007
hdfb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 08:28 AM   #34
DGB
"TRF" Member

The equivalent of the Daytona for PP and AP are the Nautilus 5711 and the Royal Oak 15202.
These are highly sought after, stainless steel, basic, sport model.
The high demand comes due to they are “kind of” entry level for these model.
These 2 model are much more exclusive than the Daytona and the finishing quality are much more superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 12:52 PM   #35
Raul Jack
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss daytona ceramic
@ROLEXZEN there you go again back then they were new i usually keep the stickers till there rip or fall off given the fact i do wear my watches almost on daily basis not here to show off as everyone here pretty much is well set if there spending 8k plus on a watch ill update you with a pic of my collection and yes i like to show have hard to get pieces don't you ?
Raul Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 12:54 PM   #36
Raul Jack
"TRF" Member

@rolexzen

like it said not showing off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8221.JPG (275.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 18 July 2018, 12:57 PM   #37
Raul Jack
"TRF" Member

@ragsk i like to collect hard to get pieces and i never pay over retail maybe im wrong with AP but hey im here to learn right ? i like to have the stickers on for a while since it kinda hurts to scratch you're brand new rolex no matter who you are thanks for the reply do @everyone else that answered my post on my quest to obtain a new member to my collection thanks guys i appreciate the positive comments and you're help i most deff will keep you posted
Old 18 July 2018, 01:00 PM   #38
Raul Jack
"TRF" Member

i think i meant hard to find for MSRP piece lol i know there not affordable ..... but i kinda lost interested in a lot of rolex pieces the only one in my list is the white dial daytona and rose gold gmt wich ill probably wait a while for prices to come down
Old 18 July 2018, 01:38 PM   #39
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Jack View Post
@ROLEXZEN there you go again back then they were new i usually keep the stickers till there rip or fall off given the fact i do wear my watches almost on daily basis not here to show off as everyone here pretty much is well set if there spending 8k plus on a watch ill update you with a pic of my collection and yes i like to show have hard to get pieces don't you ?
Not sure what you mean "there you go again". Don't think I've taken part in your previous threads.

Anyway, nice Rolex collection. They suit you.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 02:20 PM   #40
CHOSEN1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
every single watch AP or Patek makes is more rare than a Daytona. 40k annual production total vs somewhere in the ballpark of a million. Broken down by model and configuration there is virtually no chance that AP makes more of pretty much any single watch than Rolex makes of a Daytona.

So its a matter of scale. There are more rare AP watches relative to other AP watches sure, but comparing rarity to Rolex is not even a comparison worth making. So if it was me i would just find what i like, and buy that.
CHOSEN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 12:56 AM   #41
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello im thinking of buying a audemars piguet i wanna start with a hard to find and affordable price audemars piguet something in the ball park of daytona or a patek 5711/1A - NAUTILUS once again thanks for the help and the guidance

I own the Salmon jubilee jumbo for many years and manage to take it out for fresh air.

I seldom see this watch in forum and never see person wearing it too.

I remember when I bought this Salmon dial there were also the blue dial jubilee available. Would suggest to get the jubilee edition if have chance :)

Old 19 July 2018, 01:03 AM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
I own the Salmon jubilee jumbo for many years and manage to take it out for fresh air.

I remember when I bought this Salmon dial there were also the blue dial jubilee available. Would suggest to get the jubilee edition if have chance :)

That’s such an awesome piece
Old 19 July 2018, 01:12 AM   #43
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That’s such an awesome piece

Thanks and the salmon dial is beautiful in person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19 July 2018, 02:44 AM   #44
Raul Jack
"TRF" Member

i love both watches that AP looks good in that dial and lets not forget the root beer nice pieces wear them in good health
Old 19 July 2018, 04:48 PM   #45
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i love both watches that AP looks good in that dial and lets not forget the root beer nice pieces wear them in good health

Thanks and unfortunately I have sold the root beer, still miss it sometimes :(

Old 19 July 2018, 06:49 PM   #46
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
@ragsk i like to collect hard to get pieces and i never pay over retail maybe im wrong with AP but hey im here to learn right ? i like to have the stickers on for a while since it kinda hurts to scratch you're brand new rolex no matter who you are thanks for the reply do @everyone else that answered my post on my quest to obtain a new member to my collection thanks guys i appreciate the positive comments and you're help i most deff will keep you posted
Fair enough. You were clearly misunderstood in the other thread. Glad you got them stickers off. I would have kept the blue skydweller as I love that piece

Still stand buy what I said - profit minded flippers create a very poor dynamic. Rolex and others are right to try stamp it out.
Old 19 July 2018, 06:49 PM   #47
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post

very nice and unique
Old 20 July 2018, 05:28 AM   #48
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
This is a rant. Manufacturers will not end the “flippers”, so long as there are social media sites where they, “flippers”, can hype their wares. Remember when a pickup truck was just that, a work vehicle. The marketing genius in the automotive went to work. They found out that women might buyers. Result, trucks today are designed for women and creature comforts. How many trucks and SUVs are actually taken off-road. Hype rules. Repeat a lie often enough and people start believing it. Just my rant against people destroying watch collecting and appreciation for the art of horology.

daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 05:59 AM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
This is a rant. Manufacturers will not end the “flippers”, so long as there are social media sites where they, “flippers”, can hype their wares. Remember when a pickup truck was just that, a work vehicle. The marketing genius in the automotive went to work. They found out that women might buyers. Result, trucks today are designed for women and creature comforts. How many trucks and SUVs are actually taken off-road. Hype rules. Repeat a lie often enough and people start believing it. Just my rant against people destroying watch collecting and appreciation for the art of horology.

value retention is what is destroying the hobby. Then comes the hype machine because everyone thinks its an investment and now you cant get a watch.

The worse resale is, the easier the watch is to get.... but then would you buy it? Nope as almost everyone follows the hype train even if they say they dont.

IMO its all connected and its extremely hard to separate the two.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 01:22 PM   #50
Raul Jack
"TRF" Member

thats a impressive Patek collection when i grow up i wanna be like you
Old 26 July 2018, 01:23 PM   #51
Raul Jack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
value retention is what is destroying the hobby. Then comes the hype machine because everyone thinks its an investment and now you cant get a watch.

The worse resale is, the easier the watch is to get.... but then would you buy it? Nope as almost everyone follows the hype train even if they say they dont.

thats a impressive Patek collection when i grow up i wanna be like you
Old 26 July 2018, 02:31 PM   #52
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Every watch you own more or less retains its value...
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 02:35 PM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Every watch you own more or less retains its value...
From what I’ve seen every watch Tyler owns has gone way the @#$& up in value he has nice stuff