The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 January 2021, 05:50 AM   #1
Bob tomas
"TRF" Member

PAM 914/915 case back solid or not?

Hi, on Panerai's website PAM 914 and 915 are shown with solid caseback, However, I see several watches that have sold earlier in 2020 online that have exhibition back. Was there a change in caseback for different years for these models? I can't find any mention on this subject online.

Thanks!
Bob tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 03:30 AM   #2
Neillthewatchfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke GMT
Any reviews I have seen online have exhibition case back the 510 had exhibition and I think the 915 replaces this so I would imagine its a website error. You can speak online to them on the website might be worth asking.
Neillthewatchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 02:57 AM   #3
Bob tomas
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I reached out to them and am awaiting a reply.
Bob tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Kingboo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob tomas View Post
Thanks. I reached out to them and am awaiting a reply.
Ive been wondering this myself - but i believe the website made an error. Ive seen a new model at one of the ADs and it had a display back.
Kingboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:26 AM   #5
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

I tried on a 915 last week at an AD in Pittsburgh. It is indeed an exhibition caseback which is not what is shown on Panerai website.
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:11 AM   #6
Frodo-Watchnoob
"TRF" Member

New member here, but I thought I would chime in.

I just purchased a PAM 914, new from the authorized dealer in my city, and it has a steel, screw on, caseback. Production date of March 2020.

I had seen the photos and Panerai's website saying that it was a steel caseback, but all the photos I had seen elsewhere were with an exhibition caseback. Not sure when the change was made, but it seems as if they've switched things up a bit, again.
Frodo-Watchnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:57 AM   #7
djyolky
Banned

It's probably the same thing Panerai did with the PAM1312. There are two generations. Generation 1 which has display caseback and ecru lume, and generation 2 which has closed caseback and green lume.

The newer made models in question probably have gone to strictly closed caseback as they did with the 1312.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 11:45 PM   #8
GGoldman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob tomas View Post
Hi, on Panerai's website PAM 914 and 915 are shown with solid caseback, However, I see several watches that have sold earlier in 2020 online that have exhibition back. Was there a change in caseback for different years for these models? I can't find any mention on this subject online.

Thanks!
It is my understanding that the PAM914 was made with an exhibition case back. But, those watches were initially sold primarily through the Panerai boutique stores. Then, they were pushed out to other dealers. It's also my understanding that the PAM914 - with a sandwich dial and an exhibition case back - was limited to 1,000 pieces.

I was looking for a PAM914 with an exhibition case back in March of 2020. I could only find the PAM914 online and through a national dealer with a solid case back. I did, however, see one online for sale through an unauthorized watch dealer in Florida with an exhibition case back and thought it might be a replica. Then, my wife was traveling and came across a boutique store and went inside to look. She saw the PAM914. I asked if it had an exhibition case back and she said it did. So, I talked to the sales rep and he said that they made a limited run of 1,000 watches with an exhibition case back and a sandwich dial. So, I bought it. My PAM914 - sandwich dial - is marked 150/1000 on the back.

I hope that helps.
GGoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 11:57 PM   #9
GGoldman
"TRF" Member

Exhibition case back on PAM914.

It is my understanding that Panerai made 1000 PAM914 watches with an exhibition case back and sandwich dial. I purchased one with an exhibition case back and sandwich dial from one of their boutique stores in Las Vegas in October of 2020 - during the pandemic and that's what I was told. I don't know if it's true, but my watch is marked 150/1000. I was also told the boutique stores usually get some of the limited pieces that are not sold online by Panerai.

I was having the same problem. I saw some with an exhibition case back and some without. And, when I tried ordering one from Panerai online, I was told I could only order it with a solid case back. But, once I found one with an exhibition case back from an authorized dealer, I bought it.
GGoldman is offline   Reply With Quote