The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19 October 2011, 01:36 PM   #1
aboen
"TRF" Member

2011 Zenith El Primero Pilot Chronograph

First impressions…

- Excellent finished case, Beautifully brushed finished with subtle touches of high polished areas on the beveled lugs, between the lugs, pushers and crown.

- Highly legible dial enhanced by AR coating on both sided of the sapphire crystal.
- Easy to read date display

- Well-proportioned and good looking hands

- Great size at 42mm and 11.8mm thick, it’s smaller than my typical 44mm watches, but it has great wrist presence (to be honest, the smaller case size is actually refreshing)

- I dig how the caseback is secured to the watch case using four screws and cool looking flanges.

- The El Primero cal. 4002 movement looks great inside the case; I was expecting it to look small like many I’ve seen inside some of modern Zenith watch with large cases.

- Sexy as hell large crown and rectangle pushers.

- This Zenith gator strap are some of the best quality I’ve ever handled, I like the fact that Zenith utilized rubber as a backing material on the strap; it should prolong its life.

The not so good…
-They could have left the word “Automatic” off the dial (a pet peeve of mine)
-wish the water resistant were rated at 100m instead of 50m and a screw down crown would have been nice… I guess no swimming with this one.

In conclusion:
Great value considering you get a very nicely finished great looking watch with a legendary in-house chronograph movement. These current Zenith watches are such a great deal; most of the entry level pieces are priced about the same or less than many Mid/high end brands that utilizes pedestrian ETA or Valjoux movement. (Not a knock on ETA or Valjoux...I’m actually a fan)
I see great things coming from Zenith currently and expect even more so in the next few years.

Drew
aboen is offline   Reply With Quote