The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 1 March 2020, 05:31 AM   #1
sevykor
"TRF" Member

The 3235 Movement and The Fix (2 years out)

I have been collecting Rolex for over 20 years and have had many calibers including the 3135 (predecessor to the 3235). A common theme of this story involves accuracy and precision. I judge a watch by its precision (and variance being a result of 5 positions, temperature and isochronism). If precision exists (based on variance), it can often be made accurate with just an adjustment of the balance wheel weights. Chronometers are COSC +6/-4 and now Rolex has reached +2/-2 variance.

My DJ41 has been sent out twice since I purchased it from an AD 2 years ago. My issue was related to a sudden and unexpected change in precision due to extreme variance among the many positions. The first trip to AD (and RUSA from there) was about 1 year after purchase. Watch had erratic time keeping consistent with being magnetized (AD confirmed it wasn’t), otherwise kept a consistent -2 seconds/day since new. Less than a year later and after the first trip to the AD, having maintained +2 seconds/day for nearly a year, it started its erratic patterns again. The AD (which also offers service) tested it on a timegrapher and found that the dial down creates a variance of 10 seconds (don’t recall +/-).

With Rolex’s 5-year warranty, it only made sense to have it fixed. The AD suggested that it be cleaned and suspected there may be a foreign body causing an issue. Regardless, the AD took it upon themselves to do a full service of the movement. After several weeks, the watch was ready again. This time, it came back +/- 0 seconds. One month out, the precision and accuracy is still spot on. Yes, there is very slight variance between the positions, but easily rectified by placing watch dial up vs crown up at night. At the most during a day’s wear, +/- 0.3 seconds per day variance. I am currently absolutely ecstatic about the precision and now accuracy at +/- 0 seconds/day.

Bare in mind, the precision timekeeping of the watch was the same since new, and after the first RUSA visit. Even though it was -2, later +2 seconds/day, and now +/- 0, there was and is no initial issues with precision (only accuracy and at -2 and later +2 was not a concern for me). The real issue develops 9-12 months out. Precision diminishes based on variance among the positions (specifically with dial down in the second case). Being into it for a month now, will the precision hold for the next 9-12 months?

I cannot confirm that a foreign body entered the movement. I don’t know if there was an issue of lubrication or wear (break-in). I don’t know what specifically fixed or caused the precision issue. I also don’t know if the issues will stay resolved until its next scheduled service 10 years from now. What I do know is that if you notice any issues with your 32XX, don’t delay getting it fixed ASAP. Insist on having the movement cleaned and oiled. Does Rolex know of an issue with the 3235? We will be last to know. The foreseeable future is the 32XX class of movements, and this post isn’t to discourage you from buying watches with them. Before you congratulate yourself on owning a 3135, you too (after 20+ years of collecting) may want a new watch and your choice will NOT be the same movement that started your collection in the specific model of watch. I hope this rather long synopsis gives some resolve to your issues with a 32xx movement (if not now perhaps in the future).
Old 1 March 2020, 05:34 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Here might be some answers for you, if you like to take the time to read it

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=664616
Old 1 March 2020, 05:56 AM   #3
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
My two months old DJ41 is now at NY RSC for loosing 12 sec/day. I read Bas thread a long time ago and I knew this is something that could happen at anytime. After full wound at Dial Up position it was not able to pass 230 degrees of amplitude and after 24 h in Crown down position the amplitude decreased to 180. Attachment 1114078
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200219_063859.jpg (88.1 KB, 4373 views)
Old 1 March 2020, 06:00 AM   #4
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
My 126333 would lose amplitude and run slow any time I let it rest. It had to stay running. Seems like a lubrication issue to me. I'm down to only one 3235 watch from 3 just 6 months ago.
Old 1 March 2020, 07:09 AM   #5
Jimihendrix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
i hope Rolex will solve the recent problems immediately, thank you so much for your information
Old 1 March 2020, 07:17 AM   #6
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

One day I’ll inevitably own a 3235 as OP notes. That said, I’m thankful for the workhorse 3135 movement watch I do own.
Old 1 March 2020, 07:50 AM   #7
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
My 2 years old SD43 (3235 mvnt) has run at +0.05 s/d on average over this entire month, gained 1.4s in total, not worn, wound manually, resting horizontal up.

My 5 years old YM (3135 mvnt) has gained 1.3 s/d on average, +36s in total this month, worn daily, resting 9up.

It's fair to say the 3235 appears to be more accurate than the 3135.
Old 1 March 2020, 07:55 AM   #8
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

The 3235 Movement and The Fix (2 years out)

My GMT 126710 has been to the RSC 3x for date progression and accuracy issues. I am hoping that three times is a charm vs three strikes you’re out. My SDC4000 w/3135 has been solid for 5 straight years.....

Your mileage might vary with the new movements.
Old 1 March 2020, 09:27 AM   #9
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Here might be some answers for you, if you like to take the time to read it

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=664616

What a wonderful wealth of information! Thank you for referencing it. It’s a must-read for anyone who owns a 3235.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 March 2020, 11:11 AM   #10
Bybybmw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
What a wonderful wealth of information! Thank you for referencing it. It’s a must-read for anyone who owns a 3235.

Great also for folks like me who are wondering if they want to buy a 3235 caliber.
Old 1 March 2020, 11:21 AM   #11
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
My luck with the last gen movements has been great. My SD43 was a little out of whack though. It was running -12 per day pretty consistently. Had it sent out to the RSC and it came back running +.75 a day. Very happy with the timing, not so happy with the two deep scratches it came back with. One runs a third of the length of the non crown side of the case.
Old 1 March 2020, 12:34 PM   #12
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
My 2 years old SD43 (3235 mvnt) has run at +0.05 s/d on average over this entire month, gained 1.4s in total, not worn, wound manually, resting horizontal up.

My 5 years old YM (3135 mvnt) has gained 1.3 s/d on average, +36s in total this month, worn daily, resting 9up.

It's fair to say the 3235 appears to be more accurate than the 3135.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc. After this, therefore because of this. Logical fallacy and contrary to primary thesis of this thread.
Old 1 March 2020, 01:23 PM   #13
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bybybmw View Post
Great also for folks like me who are wondering if they want to buy a 3235 caliber.

Within a given amount of time, you may not have a choice when buying new from your local AD. In another 20-30 years, we may be looking at a 33xx with a new set of issues. Soon after you will be enjoying talking about your 3135 on the vintage watch section. It’s as if though I went to bed and woke up 20 years older.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 1 March 2020, 04:09 PM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post

Cheers mate, glad you enjoyed the thread
Old 1 March 2020, 08:49 PM   #15
jeorge
"TRF" Member

I see no advantage at all with this new movement other than longer power reserve which is only good for none daily wearers . I know one thing Rolex cheapen the movement looks wise compared to say the 3135. The finishing just isn't there. I'm sure this was done to save money using less time on finishing the movement. When it comes to accuracy its all about how it's calibrated !
Old 1 March 2020, 09:54 PM   #16
doramas
Banned

3135 to the end 😉
Old 2 March 2020, 01:35 AM   #17
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
My thanks to you also Bas! My DJ41 had this exact issue and was fixed under warranty. Well over a year later now and it's consistently within specs, currently running at just over 1s/day.

Lesson learned for me was that YOU, the owner, are the best judge of whether there is something wrong. When my new DJ began losing more and more seconds a day I first turned to TRF for advice (and maybe seeking some sympathy). Like others have experienced I was told I was "OCD", got the old "there are 86,400 seconds in a day" lecture, and even told that I was too fussy to own a Rolex at all.

I did not buy into any of that nonsense, used my head and sent it off to RSC.
Not only did I gain a more accurate watch, making me a happier owner, I also avoided some serious wear and tear on the movement.
Old 2 March 2020, 02:02 AM   #18
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
My thanks to you also Bas! My DJ41 had this exact issue and was fixed under warranty. Well over a year later now and it's consistently within specs, currently running at just over 1s/day.

Lesson learned for me was that YOU, the owner, are the best judge of whether there is something wrong. When my new DJ began losing more and more seconds a day I first turned to TRF for advice (and maybe seeking some sympathy). Like others have experienced I was told I was "OCD", got the old "there are 86,400 seconds in a day" lecture, and even told that I was too fussy to own a Rolex at all.

I did not buy into any of that nonsense, used my head and sent it off to RSC.
Not only did I gain a more accurate watch, making me a happier owner, I also avoided some serious wear and tear on the movement.
You made the right move. Only the wearer knows how his or her watch is running. Got to do what you think is in YOUR and your watch best interest.
Old 2 March 2020, 07:17 AM   #19
flat6turbo
"TRF" Member

I had my SD43 movement experience this and it was corrected under warranty at RSC Dallas. It has been fine since the re-lubrication.
Old 2 March 2020, 08:04 AM   #20
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
3135 to the end 😉
I'm a bit inclined to feel the same way about it at this stage and have drawn the line in the sand. Plus the design of the Rotor bearing is much more to my liking and one of the main things that has always drawn me to Rolex watches.
Besides, most of my Rolex watches with a 31xx have run well within the new +2 -2 tolerance without any variation of note, and that was over the last couple of decades.
No timekeeping issues for the entire duration of ownership(even from new) either, even after one of them being quite badly damaged from a fall at height onto concrete.
In summary, the 31xx movements were always rock solid in every respect in my experience.
Old 2 March 2020, 10:45 PM   #21
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Post hoc ergo propter hoc. After this, therefore because of this. Logical fallacy and contrary to primary thesis of this thread.
Let me rephrase this. In my case and according to my limited observation, my 3235 appears to be more precise (less variance) and more accurate than my 3135.

More tests in equal wearing, winding, resting conditions and temperatures would be needed to ascertain my gut feeling.

Better?
Old 28 August 2020, 09:18 AM   #22
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Revisiting this thread do we know roughly what date of manufacture this issue may have been “fixed”

Trouble is of course working out how old the watch is when purchased from the AD
Old 28 August 2020, 09:41 AM   #23
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

There are already many thousands of these movements; you’l find owners with a wide variety of timekeeping. What’s more, it will often change over a period. Accounts from forums tell very little because the numbers are too small.
Most owners, like me, don’t bother to time their watch, any more than you check your car against a stopwatch. Rolex make superb watches, but the technology is obsolete and cannot compete if precision is the criteria. That’s not why people buy a mechanical watch.They are just nice, romantic, designs which give pleasure.
Sadly, the day will probably arrive when few people can be bothered. Like typewriters ......or mechanical engines in cars.
Old 28 August 2020, 11:34 AM   #24
GoPackGo!
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126333
I've had to send two watches with that movement in and am about to send my Seadweller in for the same issues with accuracy and one also has an issue with power reserve. My other two, being 2018 and 2019 watches with that movement seem to be spot on. Hopefully they've figured out the manufacturing issues.
Old 28 August 2020, 12:08 PM   #25
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I wouldn't expect any daily running mechanical device to maintain its specs for years. Heck I just check mine against my network updated phone time every so often. Doesn't seem to be behaving out of the ordinary but I honestly wouldn't know or care if it's +/- an extra 10 seconds somewhere since I last wound and set it. Respect for expecting what it says on the tin.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 28 August 2020, 08:18 PM   #26
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
That’s kind of lame from a brand like Rolex. It sure can be fixed under warranty bit still, it’s a PITA to send your new watch for a service because of such an issue that could have been prevented from day 1 with proper lubrication.

Old 28 August 2020, 08:20 PM   #27
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Honestly I wouldn’t even notice if I was losing ten seconds day it’s close enough for me.
Old 29 August 2020, 05:01 AM   #28
Finfin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo! View Post
I've had to send two watches with that movement in and am about to send my Seadweller in for the same issues with accuracy and one also has an issue with power reserve. My other two, being 2018 and 2019 watches with that movement seem to be spot on. Hopefully they've figured out the manufacturing issues.
Sent in my DSSD after it went from -2 to -8 over a short period of time. My SD43 is waiting for a trip to the RSC after it recently went from -4 to -13 also over a short period of time. Both watches purchased in 2018.
Old 29 August 2020, 05:16 AM   #29
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
Revisiting this thread do we know roughly what date of manufacture this issue may have been “fixed”

Trouble is of course working out how old the watch is when purchased from the AD
Not 'fixed' as of yet. Permanent solution still needs to roll out...

Current procedure is just full service and extra lubrication at the point that wears out prematurely.
Old 29 August 2020, 07:46 PM   #30
18078pres
"TRF" Member

how did this problem not show up in the r and d its ridiculous more they're still selling with the problem
Closed Thread