The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 April 2020, 05:00 AM   #31
timnik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
the 5513 is a great reference to have, theres a lot of experts and services available via the forum, as your Rolex hasn't cost you anything so any funds that you have to lay out to get it up and to a good wearable standard is nothing compared to the price you would have had to paid for the watch in the first place, the box and papers are also a plus,

my course of action would be to have it opened (by an expert) to see how the movement is looking, (post pictures) get it fully serviced, shop around and see if you can pick up a used dial and hands, the 5513 can be worn on a Nato strap and looks good.

do keep us up dated with this project and all the best you have a decent starting point.

all the very best "H"
What he said.
Old 8 April 2020, 05:18 AM   #32
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Based on the blurry serial I think we're all guessing its a ~1967 5513 which should be Meters First correct? (looking again now and it does look like the serial starts with 12xxxxx, would have to be a gilt dial, dial price just went up..)

based on a quick search looks like you'd be looking at $3k USD + for a period correct dial (5513 Matte Meters first), maybe $600-800USD for the matching hands, Bezel could range anywhere from $400-1500 depending and ratchet/spring/ring assembly could be another $500(?) Perhaps you could find a full assembly if you're not to picky. Assume you could polish out the acrylic crystal or source another one for maybe $500~

Putting everything together and servicing the watch assume another $1000? as someone stated above you could use a leather strap or Nato so you wouldn't have to worry about the band. Theres also the case to consider, which is beat up badly. You could have an expert like LA Watch Works do a re-cut also (not sure what they charge for this)

Of course this all depends on the condition of the mechanical parts behind the dial....

My guess is this would be around a conservative $6000-$6500usd job to get her back to fighting shape. Again someone mentioned that you are in for 0 thus far since you inherited the watch and market price on a 1967 Meters first 5513 could easily be $13,000USD+

EDIT: Case doesn't look too bad, maybe just a polish?

Last edited by RyanPrasad; 8 April 2020 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: looked at the pictures again
Old 8 April 2020, 06:15 AM   #33
Nickn
"TRF" Member

So spend $6000 -$6500 to earn $6500-7000 and have to wait months if not years when $6500 has already been offered isn’t a good deal!
Especially as prices will fall due to the pandemic
Now if it was mine I would spend the money and keep it
Old 8 April 2020, 07:26 AM   #34
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

frankly 6500AUD is too much for the risk.

Its obvious the OP is trying to sell it here, if not already sold.
Old 8 April 2020, 07:34 AM   #35
subx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post

clearly seems that way, forum fishing :)
Old 8 April 2020, 12:23 PM   #36
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:

I don’t think so. Just sounds like someone told him it could be worth a whole lot and he’s looking for information.
Old 8 April 2020, 12:39 PM   #37
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I don’t think so. Just sounds like someone told him it could be worth a whole lot and he’s looking for information.
Thanks - thats more accurate but I dont blame people for thinking the worst. It was on ebay in the first place, but my work situation also changed over the past week so I dont need to sell this. I am chatting to someone who messaged me here about my options, bit I am thinking of just getting these service parts and wearing it. I would hate to see this watch just diappear into some guys collection never to be worn.

To whoever asked earlier, will post pictures soon sure and will also post photos once I get this sorted out.

Can anyone tell me why it says RM58 on the papers?
Old 8 April 2020, 01:08 PM   #38
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narembeen View Post
Thanks - thats more accurate but I dont blame people for thinking the worst. It was on ebay in the first place, but my work situation also changed over the past week so I dont need to sell this. I am chatting to someone who messaged me here about my options, bit I am thinking of just getting these service parts and wearing it. I would hate to see this watch just diappear into some guys collection never to be worn.

To whoever asked earlier, will post pictures soon sure and will also post photos once I get this sorted out.

mate, we'd be keen to see it on your wrist all restored!
Old 8 April 2020, 02:01 PM   #39
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
It appears not to be a meters first dial? Maybe a later original service dial?

If so, I would source an expert relume job on the dial, some service hands, a new service crystal, install the original bezel after its located, and the crown

I think you'd have a cool watch after its all cleaned with loads of history.
Old 8 April 2020, 02:50 PM   #40
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post

If so, I would source an expert relume job on the dial, some service hands, a new service crystal, install the original bezel after its located, and the crown

Cheers. I'll be honest when I listed it I had sort of looked around at original parts etc and knew it was beyond me financially. Then my job was at risk and sadly reality was kicking in. Now my job is secure and I have learnt from the experts there is such as thing as 'service parts'. I had no idea. So definitely going to keep this now, there is just too much history in this watch. It was worn/worked every day for virtually 40 years. I actually cant believe it looks as good as it does considering the hard life it has led and will continue to lead once it is on my wrist.
Old 8 April 2020, 03:39 PM   #41
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post

Correct which was my point around asking for the serial number.

- later service dial which needs work
- needs replacement hands
- bezel (hopefully can be found)
- crown looks like older style which should be fine
- movement to be cleaned given the state of it
Old 8 April 2020, 04:10 PM   #42
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Correct which was my point around asking for the serial number.

- later service dial which needs work
- needs replacement hands
- bezel (hopefully can be found)
- crown looks like older style which should be fine
- movement to be cleaned given the state of it
Hi, the serial number starts with 1204***

I would not be surprised if the dial is new. The reason the address is written inside the box was my step dad posted this to rolex for a service back in 1978. I am pretty sure it only ever had the one service (ouch).
Old 8 April 2020, 04:17 PM   #43
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Cheers. I'll be honest when I listed it I had sort of looked around at original parts etc and knew it was beyond me financially. Then my job was at risk and sadly reality was kicking in. Now my job is secure and I have learnt from the experts there is such as thing as 'service parts'. I had no idea. So definitely going to keep this now, there is just too much history in this watch. It was worn/worked every day for virtually 40 years. I actually cant believe it looks as good as it does considering the hard life it has led and will continue to lead once it is on my wrist.
You made a good decision.
Either way the watch deserves a new life. I would hv no problem in using new service parts to rescue it and make it wearable.
Old 8 April 2020, 06:56 PM   #44
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

good luck!
Old 8 April 2020, 09:49 PM   #45
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yay! Glad to hear it and looking forward t updates.
Old 8 April 2020, 09:58 PM   #46
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Hi

I was left my step fathers 5513 rolex. Its in a bad way! I was going to sell it online but I cancelled it as someone said it was worth a lot more than I had initially sold it for so I cancelled the sale.

Now its where it belongs.

The problem is the dial is really bad. The hands are in a bag but the hour hand is damaged.

There are other missing parts like the bracelet and the number ring from around the dial.

Can anyone recomend what I should do?
It’s refreshing to see your working mans hands in the photos. When I got out of school as a kid and started working, the other guys made fun of my super clean hands. They didn’t stay clean for long lol...Good luck to you!
Old 8 April 2020, 10:02 PM   #47
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
In this coronavirus world, I’d recommend you wash your hands first. Then focus on taking better pics.
Go pack sand. Some people work for a living, and he's looking for technical guidance not criticism. Dick.
Old 8 April 2020, 11:17 PM   #48
spare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Hope you get it back into decent shape, as it seems to hold some sentimental value (assumption derived from your posts).
Keep us posted in case you decide to do so. Always great to see these "before" and "after" stories.

Curious to hear how the watch got to this stage of decomposition if you manage to find out btw. That is a beat-up watch alright.
Old 9 April 2020, 12:49 AM   #49
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
If you're interested, I got my Sub serviced at the official RSC in Sydney last year when I was living there. Nicole who runs the client service is a legend, nicest lady. Feel free to contact them and send some of those pictures over, they might be able to help.
--

Rolex
RSC SYDNEY
Customer Service
ROLEX Australia
Level 39, Tower Building, Australia Square
264 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Tel: +61 2 9251 8988
Direct: +61 2 9251 8988
customerservice@rwaust.com.au
Old 9 April 2020, 12:54 AM   #50
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwb65 View Post
Go pack sand. Some people work for a living, and he's looking for technical guidance not criticism. Dick.
No need for the personal attack here, regardless how you feel about the previous comment. That stuff will get you banned.
Old 9 April 2020, 02:23 AM   #51
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe it’s some internal code to where it was originally bought? First thing that came to mind was possibly the original sale price in Malaysian Ringgit, but that would just be too cheap.
Old 9 April 2020, 09:07 AM   #52
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Maybe it’s some internal code to where it was originally bought? First thing that came to mind was possibly the original sale price in Malaysian Ringgit, but that would just be too cheap.
For a first guess thats a very good one! You're right it is a bit low though. I will keep asking around hopefully I do find out one day. I am going to take some decent pictures outdoors over the easter break. Sorry you guys have been making assessments off some of my terrible photos. I will take the time to make some better pix cheers
Old 9 April 2020, 09:12 AM   #53
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPrasad View Post
If you're interested, I got my Sub serviced at the official RSC in Sydney last year when I was living there. Nicole who runs the client service is a legend, nicest lady. Feel free to contact them and send some of those pictures over, they might be able to help.
--

Rolex
RSC SYDNEY
Customer Service
ROLEX Australia
Level 39, Tower Building, Australia Square
264 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Tel: +61 2 9251 8988
Direct: +61 2 9251 8988
customerservice@rwaust.com.au
Thats fantastic cheers I will send an email
Old 9 April 2020, 09:33 AM   #54
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: MF 5513
If I were you, I'd get it running again and wear it. That engraved caseback is cool as hell!
Old 9 April 2020, 09:12 PM   #55
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
No need for the personal attack here, regardless how you feel about the previous comment. That stuff will get you banned.
Okay. And giving a new member grief for having dirty, hardworking hands isn't a personal attack. That criticism had nothing to do with helping the OP with answers to his problem. Double standard much?
Old 9 April 2020, 11:28 PM   #56
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I interpreted the initial comment about the OP's hands as half-joking, half-serious advice about taking good photos for an eBay listing. I don't think the OP took it personally.
Old 10 April 2020, 02:19 AM   #57
CJNJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate
From another new Rolex owner, I'm happy to hear you're keeping it. I have my grandfather's gold Omega given to him by his employees upon retirement, engraved on the case back. It gives me pleasure to wear that and feel connected to that history. Good luck with the restoration and looking forward to photos.
Old 10 April 2020, 05:17 AM   #58
WCHROLX
Banned

I hope you don't get to sell it, try getting it fixed and wear it in good health.
Old 10 April 2020, 05:54 AM   #59
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwb65 View Post
Okay. And giving a new member grief for having dirty, hardworking hands isn't a personal attack. That criticism had nothing to do with helping the OP with answers to his problem. Double standard much?
The comment about hands was just that, a comment about hands. No matter how insensitive it might have been, it's not a personal attack that included name-calling, like your comment. Big difference.
Old 10 April 2020, 05:27 PM   #60
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The comment about hands was just that, a comment about hands. No matter how insensitive it might have been, it's not a personal attack that included name-calling, like your comment. Big difference.
Its ok I guess there are very different types of guys in here. I didnt even think about my hands when I took the pictures but I will clean up when I take better ones tomorrow cheers
Closed Thread