The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 January 2021, 03:30 AM   #1
Bucky
"TRF" Member

Submersible 973 owners

Am interested in this piece and deciding between this or 47mm 1389. Still can’t decide which size is best. Have a feeling for my 6.5ins wrist a 47mm submersible will not be comfortable as a daily.
Any 973 owners have any feedback and photos on this 42mm sub. How is the new movement?
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 04:16 AM   #2
BMess
"TRF" Member

When I was making the same decision as you, I was first debating between the 973 (42mm with stainless steel bezel) and the 683 (42mm with ceramic bezel). To the naked eye the 973 looks meaningfully smaller with the stainless steel bezel. In fact, the AD I first visited had about 10 submersibles all next to each other in the display case. Having done limited research prior to that visit, I asked the AD if the 973 was a 40mm submersible because it looked so small.

With respect to the movement, my understanding is that the 973 and 683 have the P.900 movement, which is largely said to be inferior to the movement in the 1389 (the P.9010). My understanding is that the P.900 movement is not an in-house movement made by Panerai. Rather, it's a Richemont movement that is largely based on Richemont's cheaper Baume & Mercier watches. Additionally, the P.900 movement is known to have problems (mostly seen in Panerai's Luminor Due line), although Panerai will fix those issues under their 8 year warranty.

I was unwilling to spend $8,000+ on a "Panerai" with a Baume & Mercier movement. To me, a Panerai with a Baume & Mercier movement really isn't a Panerai at all--it more closely resembles a Panerai homage made by Panerai itself. At that point, I'd rather go to my local Macy's and buy a Baume & Mercier.

All that said, I would not recommend a 47mm 1389 as a daily watch (assuming you work in some form of corporate environment). I went with the 1389 because I will not be wearing the 1389 to work (I'll be wearing my DJ41) so the 1389 worked for me.

I have a 6.0" (15.25 cm) wrist and I feel like I can just get by with the 1389. I'm sure someone like you with a 6.5" wrist can comfortably wear the 1389.

What other watches are in your collection?

BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:01 AM   #3
Bucky
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply, seeing the 973 next to the 683 it does look smaller. I don’t work in an office environment so it won’t be under a cuffed shirt just casual leisure gear and tracksuits most of the time. Just wondering if the size and thickness will be too much as an everyday wearer. I have a Deepsea which I wear regularly and also a Hulk and Panerai 233, submariner 16610 and some Seiko divers (sla033 and ninja turtle). Also have a Victorinox Inox which I wear as well. The reason I liked the 973 is because I felt the 683 would be similar with the black ceramic bezel to the other divers I have and the 973 with the steel bezel was a bit different. I understand what you are saying about the movement not being a £7600 movement but the 1389 is £10100 in the uk and it also has a modified Panerai movement which doesn’t hack either. I will be buying from an AD as I am on the waiting list for a GMT BLNR so want to get some purchase history and also like the Panerai submersible. Due to the shops being shut in London I can’t go back and compare the sizes again. Just don’t want a watch that I feel is too big. Anybody got the 42mm and felt it was too small and also anybody with a 6.5ins wrist who just found the 47mm too big to wear comfortably.
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote