The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 6 February 2021, 10:10 PM   #1
JayDH
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
Pam1351

Panerai was the brand that got me interested in watches many years ago so I like having one in my collection. I’ve had the PAM1392 for about 4 years and I’ve really enjoyed it. But lately I’ve been thinking about getting a 44mm model. Spent the last week or two looking at options and was considering the PAM1313, 1314 that were recently released. Stopped by my local AD and spotted a PAM1351 in the window and I was blown away. It retains all the features I love about my 1392 (blue seconds hand, clear caseback, classic look, jumping hour), but is 44mm, completely titanium, 300m WR, and has rose gold hands. Super excited to pick this one up!
JayDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2021, 10:31 PM   #2
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It's a handsome piece for sure, congrats in advance and post pics when you have it!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 12:25 AM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Nice pick, early grats
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 01:01 AM   #4
emtee
"TRF" Member

I had the 392 as my first Pam as didn’t think I could handle the 44mm case size. To be fair the 312 at the time was very chunky and they have slimmed the 1950’s case down now. But it was trying the betterini case that worked for me. Massively prefer it over the 1950, works way better on my small wrist.

Having said that really want a 233!
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 05:48 AM   #5
JayDH
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
I had the 392 as my first Pam as didn’t think I could handle the 44mm case size. To be fair the 312 at the time was very chunky and they have slimmed the 1950’s case down now. But it was trying the betterini case that worked for me. Massively prefer it over the 1950, works way better on my small wrist.

Having said that really want a 233!
Same reason I chose the 1392, didn’t think I could handle 44mm. But the 1950 case plus titanium makes the 1351 very comfortable on the wrist. What is the Betterini case and what models is it used on?
Old 7 February 2021, 07:21 AM   #6
cobradriver
"TRF" Member

Bettarini case is the '90s style case

Alessandro Bettarini was at Panerai in the '90s, and the Luminor watches they were selling then were based on his case design, which are the “Bettarini cases”.

This case design was more square than the original Luminor '50s shape, and it wasn't until 2002 that the 1950s shape was reintroduced.

The older base models like the 111/112 and, well, pretty much all the '90s Luminors have the Bettarini case.

Not sure of all the watches in the current lineup use Bettarini cases, I think the base logo 44 Luminors like the 1086 and 778 are Bettarini cases, in contrast to 1313/1314 and 1499 which are 1950 style cases.

Panerai's web site doesn't always show side/angle views, so I usually do an internet search for images to tell which shape any particular model is.

Newer Luminors, including the 47s are all the '50s style (or slight mods of it). Not sure if the Due case is based on anything historic, that might be its own thing.

There's a good writeup with pictures showing the difference at Bob's Watches Blog, just search for “Panerai Bettarini case” (you'll get some other good articles too. I can't post the link yet, I need two more posts to be able to post links :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDH View Post
Same reason I chose the 1392, didn’t think I could handle 44mm. But the 1950 case plus titanium makes the 1351 very comfortable on the wrist. What is the Betterini case and what models is it used on?
cobradriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 10:43 AM   #7
JayDH
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradriver View Post
Alessandro Bettarini was at Panerai in the '90s, and the Luminor watches they were selling then were based on his case design, which are the “Bettarini cases”.

This case design was more square than the original Luminor '50s shape, and it wasn't until 2002 that the 1950s shape was reintroduced.

The older base models like the 111/112 and, well, pretty much all the '90s Luminors have the Bettarini case.

Not sure of all the watches in the current lineup use Bettarini cases, I think the base logo 44 Luminors like the 1086 and 778 are Bettarini cases, in contrast to 1313/1314 and 1499 which are 1950 style cases.

Panerai's web site doesn't always show side/angle views, so I usually do an internet search for images to tell which shape any particular model is.

Newer Luminors, including the 47s are all the '50s style (or slight mods of it). Not sure if the Due case is based on anything historic, that might be its own thing.

There's a good writeup with pictures showing the difference at Bob's Watches Blog, just search for “Panerai Bettarini case” (you'll get some other good articles too. I can't post the link yet, I need two more posts to be able to post links :-)
Awesome info, thanks!