The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2021, 07:54 AM   #1
Sunny_Submariner
"TRF" Member

Watch Purchase Stories

Just thought this would be a fun idea. If you wish to share, could you talk about your most insane/ironic/fun watch purchase story? Please include details like: how you zeroed in on the watch, how long it took you to do your research, the process of the chase, and the day you ultimately bought it.
Sunny_Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 01:12 PM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

i'll start:

bought my first and only AP (so far) in Vegas on X-mas Eve 2019 kinda buzzed. I did research forever on all the usual pieces but never actually tried any ROOs or less popular models. Went into the store multiple on times on the same day and could not decide. After a great sushi dinner and lots of sake my wife came with me around 11pm or so and I finally ended up buying my first AP (ROO 42mm Havana dial blue sub dials) at night, slightly buzzed. Great day and I don't regret it at all. Not a hot piece by any means but I keep staring at it every night before I go to sleep.
I guess moral of the story is, try on a bunch of watches and actually go to the store and don't just look on IG but most importantly have fun with it. I was at a point of analysis paralysis for sure and thought I needed a hot piece to justify spending that much.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 05:36 PM   #3
Sunny_Submariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
i'll start:

bought my first and only AP (so far) in Vegas on X-mas Eve 2019 kinda buzzed. I did research forever on all the usual pieces but never actually tried any ROOs or less popular models. Went into the store multiple on times on the same day and could not decide. After a great sushi dinner and lots of sake my wife came with me around 11pm or so and I finally ended up buying my first AP (ROO 42mm Havana dial blue sub dials) at night, slightly buzzed. Great day and I don't regret it at all. Not a hot piece by any means but I keep staring at it every night before I go to sleep.
I guess moral of the story is, try on a bunch of watches and actually go to the store and don't just look on IG but most importantly have fun with it. I was at a point of analysis paralysis for sure and thought I needed a hot piece to justify spending that much.
Fantastic story!
Sunny_Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 06:15 PM   #4
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
ok hopefully this doesn’t turn too long haha

i’ve always loved watches, i’ve worn one every day since i can remember and even before that i was wearing watches. but i never owned any high end watches, could never afford them. most “recent” (probably over 5yrs each except the last) ones i had were a nike, then oakley, then citizen, finally apple watch. so 2017 comes around, i graduate college and manage to get a dream job. so in the back of my mind i started to think about replacing the apple watch with something nice, start doing some more serious research.
in december i get back from visiting my family for the holidays and start going even deeper into research and lots of visiting all the watch shops in sf seeing all my options, but i was having a hard time finding something that i actually really liked and that fit my small wrists. original plan was to not spend too much, maybe like $6k, but then i somehow decided to look into AP and Patek. the nautilus didn’t really do it for me, but the aquanaut seemed super nice (but i quickly discarded it cause of the “10 year waitlist” the local AD mentioned), but the royal oak was super interesting to me. and as a bonus, i my dad had left me his collection when he died 2 years before and one of the watches was a (fake) royal oak. so the idea of getting a real one seemed pretty cool to me. but no local AD and it was $18k so well over double my planned spend. plus i kept reading the 41mm wore huge!
but i kept looking, and found a used 34mm gold from the 80s i could try on, and i think that sealed the deal and got me hooked. few months pass and i discovered an AD about an hour out of the city so i rented a car and visited. luckily they had both a 15400 and a 15450 for me to try on, as i thought the 41mm was too big, but the 37mm fit perfectly! so after all these months of trying all the watches imaginable i finally found one that i loved AND it fit me! so i did some more thinking and decided to call up the BH boutique to see about availability. they said it should be doable, they can get it in two months. “really?” “yes, you just need to put a deposit and finish payment before receiving it” so i kinda froze for a second, then they ask if i’m in and i kinda just went with it not thinking much more and said yes, but could we please delay delivery for one month so i can fly down to pick it up. they say sure and transfer me to make the first payment. and that was it, in the end i was sure i loved the watch, and while it was a lot more money than i initially thought i’d spend, it was going to a “safe” watch that wouldn’t lose as much value as most watches (potentially even appreciate instead). so a few months pass, i fly down to san diego to meet up with my cousin, we rent a car and have a week long road trip all the way back up to sf stopping along the way to pick up my new watch.
suuuuper lucky i managed to get in just before the big explosion in demand, few years later and no regrets, i love this watch and wear it every day.
if you made it this far, thanks for reading hahaha i never wrote this down before, maybe i rambled too much

tldr: looots of research over a few months late 2017 early 2018, placed order around march/april, picked up in june
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote