The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2021, 12:33 AM   #1
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

$$$ Bounty: Take pictures of the new Gen 2 9010 Movement

I'll give $25 via PayPal to someone who takes their Gen 2 9010-equipped watch and opens the back and takes good quality pics of the movement and posts it here.

I'll add $50 more ($75 total) if you post your video of a watchmaker you hired to take apart the movement and post it on YouTube.

Anyone else willing to add $$ for this cause?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 03:32 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Called Panerai today (also called Monday) with my details and once again asked about the new movement. Love Panerai USA and they're always gracious and kind on the phone. Let us hope i get an email/call so we can all learn about the new movement.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 29 January 2021, 03:47 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 06:56 AM   #4
CanPam
"TRF" Member

Not such a good idea at all buddy.

You'll lose the warranty of 8 or 70 years if you'll open the case back.

For 25 bucks? You're joking, isn't it? ;)
Old 29 January 2021, 07:17 AM   #5
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanPam View Post
Not such a good idea at all buddy.

You'll lose the warranty of 8 or 70 years if you'll open the case back.

For 25 bucks? You're joking, isn't it? ;)
No need for warranty, just get a new one.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 07:23 AM   #6
walds11
"TRF" Member

Outlandish idea. Subscribed to the thread for entertainment though
Old 29 January 2021, 08:04 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Outlandish idea. Subscribed to the thread for entertainment though
Thanks

No worries, one way or another we'll all find out. Very surprised Panerai has not released info since they've been casing it up in timepieces for quite a few months.

Old 29 January 2021, 08:21 AM   #8
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Thanks

No worries, one way or another we'll all find out. Very surprised Panerai has not released info since they've been casing it up in timepieces for quite a few months.
Yessir!

Slightly OT: I am confused about the movement in my 959 (V serial papers dated early 2020). What I find odd is that P.900 calibre is listed as the movement for the 959 on p.com, but my papers have OP XXXIV calibre stamped on them. Anyways, I love the watch.
Old 29 January 2021, 09:05 AM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Yessir!

Slightly OT: I am confused about the movement in my 959 (V serial papers dated early 2020). What I find odd is that P.900 calibre is listed as the movement for the 959 on p.com, but my papers have OP XXXIV calibre stamped on them. Anyways, I love the watch.
That is strange about the site. Per this article from 2019, the movement is OP XXXIV.

“Each is outfitted with a the caliber OP XXXIV, which while not an in-house Panerai movement strictly speaking, is produced by the Richemont Group to specifications requested by Panerai. You may remember the OPXXXIV from the Luminor Due 38, which saw its debut just last year at SIHH.”

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...mm-introducing
Old 29 January 2021, 09:33 AM   #10
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
That is strange about the site. Per this article from 2019, the movement is OP XXXIV.

“Each is outfitted with a the caliber OP XXXIV, which while not an in-house Panerai movement strictly speaking, is produced by the Richemont Group to specifications requested by Panerai. You may remember the OPXXXIV from the Luminor Due 38, which saw its debut just last year at SIHH.”

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...mm-introducing
I called the Panerai concierge late last year. They confirmed that the P.900 has been in the watches all along (683, 959, etc). It is confusing though based on the link you referenced.
Old 29 January 2021, 09:35 AM   #11
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll give $25 via PayPal to someone who takes their Gen 2 9010-equipped watch and opens the back and takes good quality pics of the movement and posts it here.

I'll add $50 more ($75 total) if you post your video of a watchmaker you hired to take apart the movement and post it on YouTube.

Anyone else willing to add $$ for this cause?
you just picked up a PAM if I recall? I almost grabbed a 1313 but then all this stuff about the hacking non hacking and movemnt changes came out and I got cold feet. What ref did you get again?

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 10:32 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

In 2020 the 01033 GMT, and just a few months back their epic table clock. Best... nightstand... clock... ever! Lume lasts all night long.

Oh, did get the bracelet for the 01033 too. Some days I love that extra weight, solidity, and change of style from leather or rubber strap.

Am still waiting on the 1118 that has this new Gen 2 9010 movement. But like I asked one of my longtime timepiece experts, how are you to buy a watch where the 9010 you felt you were getting is something else using the same 9010 designation while Panerai still chooses to not offer details on this new movement as they do with pretty much all other movements. Imagine Rolex, Patek, AP, Omega... not offering details about the movement inside.

Pleeeease Panerai, now would be a good time to let us know the changes, why, etc. Am still trying to be an optimist as with long warranty and servicing included, it makes sense to develop a new movement that requires less oils (for example). Considering the tech-driven casing, Panerai could be soft-releasing something very special yet holding back the data???

Old 29 January 2021, 12:00 PM   #13
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Yeah man it scared me away

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:35 PM   #14
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
In 2020 the 01033 GMT, and just a few months back their epic table clock. Best... nightstand... clock... ever! Lume lasts all night long.

Oh, did get the bracelet for the 01033 too. Some days I love that extra weight, solidity, and change of style from leather or rubber strap.

Am still waiting on the 1118 that has this new Gen 2 9010 movement. But like I asked one of my longtime timepiece experts, how are you to buy a watch where the 9010 you felt you were getting is something else using the same 9010 designation while Panerai still chooses to not offer details on this new movement as they do with pretty much all other movements. Imagine Rolex, Patek, AP, Omega... not offering details about the movement inside.

Pleeeease Panerai, now would be a good time to let us know the changes, why, etc. Am still trying to be an optimist as with long warranty and servicing included, it makes sense to develop a new movement that requires less oils (for example). Considering the tech-driven casing, Panerai could be soft-releasing something very special yet holding back the data???
I wonder if the 1033 now comes with a closed case Back? I would be so mad if I went online and ordered it and got something different from what I see.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 02:36 PM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^^ ummm, ok let's not.... A feature of the 01033 with 9011 movement is power reserve visible behind the display back. Seriously accurate at +0.5 sec/day. :)

Old 29 January 2021, 03:12 PM   #16
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
^^^^ ummm, ok let's not.... A feature of the 01033 with 9011 movement is power reserve visible behind the display back. Seriously accurate at +0.5 sec/day. :)
It's a shame if they end up doing this, I have the 1320 such a beautiful movement
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 08:44 PM   #17
martintyler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Am still waiting on the 1118 that has this new Gen 2 9010 movement. But like I asked one of my longtime timepiece experts, how are you to buy a watch where the 9010 you felt you were getting is something else using the same 9010 designation while Panerai still chooses to not offer details on this new movement as they do with pretty much all other movements.
If you are just concerned about whether your watch with have the gen1 or gen2 movement, then just try it out before you buy it.

If you are just concerned about the whole thing in general and lack of info, then fair enough.

It don't think it is a change to enable them to meet the 70 year warranty as my PAM1122 has hacking seconds.
martintyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:28 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good points martintyler and we can always have the boutique open the back to assess the movement before purchase if this drags on. Have a good longtime friend asking Panerai today about this situation, he's a very well-known timepiece photojournalist (who also speaks Italian :) ). It's very disheartening that a timepiece manufacturer refuses to inform their customers about details of a new movement / change. Especially after advertising timepieces with a 9010 movement and then possibly changing to something of lesser quality, yet Panerai chooses to keep the same movement number while swapping out to a different movement? Who knows? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Old 30 January 2021, 02:43 AM   #19
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Hi Steven. I know you are pretty worked up about this and far be it from me to tell you how to feel. I just wanted to say that Panerai has a pretty long history of occasionally shady things (and an even bigger and longer history of some beautiful watches, too). So, I just think that with Panerai one just has to take the bad with the good (I happen to think there is more good).

And one thing is for sure: it’s never dull with Panerai.
Old 30 January 2021, 10:47 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

So true Cru. Am sooo looking fwd to the 1118. As I keep hoping, maybe some tweak parts are in the Gen 2 9010 to increase reliability and extend service times. Maybe they reduced movement decoration costs for investment in advanced tech parts. Perhaps some new mainspring system? Platinum rotor? Tears of a Unicorn? Who knows?

Old 31 January 2021, 11:40 PM   #21
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
I don’t think this is a Gen 2 movement but here’s the movement from my PAM61 (I think circa 2002-2005) before service and sale:

I just posted because it’s such a pretty movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 11:59 PM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Roy7, looks nice!

Here's a pic of Panerai's 9011 movement within the PAM01033 GMT (display back of course) that i love wearing. It'll be interesting to compare relatively recent Panerai in-house movements to their new Gen 2 9010 once we start seeing pics / videos.

The 9011 movement looks great to me

Panerai-P9011-Movement-Gear-Patrol.jpg

Old 7 February 2021, 05:42 AM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Update: Another week passes with no info from Panerai.

Disheartening.

Enzo Ferrari was always proud of his engines.

Old 7 February 2021, 06:10 AM   #24
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Disheartening.

I'm feeling pretty disheartened too. My passion for the brand has definitely weakened.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 06:21 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

Disheartening.

I like your style Steve.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 06:30 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I like your style Steve.
A most humble thanks.

Drive one of Enzo's creations on a proper road course track... only way to truly understand Italian driving passion.

top_diag.jpg

Or be invited for a private tour of the factory... pre-modern (Enzo was just being built on the small assembly line) with one 12 cyl engine, one builder... Plus watch Schumacher do a shake-down before the race at Monza...

f1ontrack.jpg

Or enjoy a private tour as I was invited by Mr. Pininfarina to see their facility, enjoy time inside their private museum.... plus a lovely dinner at his favorite restaurant (in his own private room there, of course). The 250 SWB felt good to me :)

250nme.jpg

So... Panerai..... Show me your Italian passion.

Old 19 February 2021, 11:36 PM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Weekly Update: Another week with not a word about the Gen 2 9010 movement from Panerai. Sad really, i expected so much more from Panerai, especially as am STILL waiting for the 1118 with this new mystery movement.