The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 February 2021, 11:48 PM   #31
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Absolutely agree. It is not so much the case diameter but the lug-to-lug measurements.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 11:48 PM   #32
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
What is a muscle vest?

I’m intrigued too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 11:51 PM   #33
britxt0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Ah, didn’t realise we had to match strap colour to our hair colour!

Lol...watches are largely part of our fashion now so I won't be surprised.
britxt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 12:06 AM   #34
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I’m intrigued too

Lol... you know what i look like Ash, so fill your boots with this!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 12:16 AM   #35
GS93108
"TRF" Member

I’d love a new 42mm ROO in the scaled down design of the existing 44mm. I’m not keen on the round pushers and I’d love a ceramic bezel please.

I’m not sure of my wrist size, but I’m not a small person, but still have to wear my ROO on a half and half strap or entirely XS. Else I’m on the smallest hole and it doesn’t feel quite as comfortable with the buckle placement when worn like that.

Vince’s 42mm ti ROO is so close to perfect for me, just add the ceramic bezel and away we go.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 12:18 AM   #36
GS93108
"TRF" Member

The concepts are BIG, but wear so comfortably in comparison to 44mm ROOs because of the curved case, and once you feel comfortable then a lot of times the impression of size becomes less evident.
Old 21 February 2021, 12:20 AM   #37
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha, if matching straps to hair, I will have to go with a pocket watch!!

A man that knows when to stop picking on me.
Old 21 February 2021, 12:20 AM   #38
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I’m starting to think that a Concept and a muscle vest is the way forward coming out of lockdown.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 12:32 AM   #39
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m starting to think that a Concept and a muscle vest is the way forward coming out of lockdown.

Do it!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 21 February 2021, 12:32 AM   #40
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
A man that knows when to stop picking on me.

I’m just taking a rest!!

Old 21 February 2021, 12:39 AM   #41
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
AP vs Wrist

Quote:
Lol... you know what i look like Ash, so fill your boots with this!!

Ah, a tank top. “Vest”... I was picturing a buttoned version of that... thought it was some English thing.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 12:56 AM   #42
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Ah, a tank top. “Vest”... I was picturing a buttoned version of that... thought it was some English thing.

We English have style you know!!

Old 21 February 2021, 12:59 AM   #43
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I see so many posts on here about whether a watch is too big or too small for people, I thought I’d have my say!

First, with AP it’s really important to recognise that the Royal Oak wears larger than its diameter. To my eye, the 15450 wears more like a 39mm (i.e. a steel Daytona) and the 15300 wears more like a 40mm (i.e. 6-digit GMT).

Second, we are all very different in size, so ignore the stigma that goes with watch size, and get the one that suits your physique. A guy with 8” wrists is going to suit a different size to a guy with 6” wrists. You can bemoan your wrist size all you like, but this surely isn’t up for debate. Some of the big young fellas in my village wear muscle vests and it suits them, I’d look ridiculous in them so i don’t wear them and I don’t need a forum to point this out to me!

Third, not all watches wear the same. A 41mm Royal Oak looks like a clock on my wrist. Whereas a 41mm Code wears really well on my wrist. Don’t be a slave to numbers. Even dial colour makes a big difference. My silver dial 15450 wears larger than my blue dial.

Fourth, not all occasions and personal styles are equal. My 15450s are a perfect fit for me for smart wear, whereas the size of my 15300 suits a more casual look. My 42mm Offshores are clearly too big for my wrist, but I see them as fun watches and i love them so much I don’t care how they look on me. And hey, I wear s muscle vest in the garden and on the beach, so everything has a place. And of course our styles are different. Some guys are cool enough to pull off a watch that is too large for them, but most of us are not!

Fifth, when people ask if a watch is too big for them, they know the answer, or they wouldn’t be asking! They just don’t want to accept the answer. Again, get over the stigma. How come we see loads of posts asking if a 15450 is too small for someone with a 6.5” wrist, but never see posts asking if a 15202 is too small for an 8.5” wrist?! And how come folk advise the 6.5” wrists to get a 15500 instead of the 15450, but don’t tell the 8.5” wrists to forget Royal Oak because they don’t make them big enough?? Because it’s about stigma of numbers!

Not sure of the value of this post, but i just needed to get it off my chest!!

It’s still a decision for me but I very much appreciate your insight
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 01:15 AM   #44
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Final point to add is look at yourself with the watch on in front of a mirror - head on it always seems larger but it may likely wear better in a mirror and consequently how it looks on you

X2

Vs
Old 21 February 2021, 01:21 AM   #45
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Great thread gents. Totally agree with comments that the “right” RO size is different for everyone. The 42mm ROO actually wears better on my small wrist than the 15500 mainly because one is meant to wear big (similar to panerai) and the other can look like a clock because of large empty dial. I have a 26315 and couldn’t be happier!
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 01:34 AM   #46
Bowtrout
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26300 ST 116500
Quote:
I see so many posts on here about whether a watch is too big or too small for people, I thought I’d have my say!

First, with AP it’s really important to recognise that the Royal Oak wears larger than its diameter. To my eye, the 15450 wears more like a 39mm (i.e. a steel Daytona) and the 15300 wears more like a 40mm (i.e. 6-digit GMT).

Second, we are all very different in size, so ignore the stigma that goes with watch size, and get the one that suits your physique. A guy with 8” wrists is going to suit a different size to a guy with 6” wrists. You can bemoan your wrist size all you like, but this surely isn’t up for debate. Some of the big young fellas in my village wear muscle vests and it suits them, I’d look ridiculous in them so i don’t wear them and I don’t need a forum to point this out to me!

Third, not all watches wear the same. A 41mm Royal Oak looks like a clock on my wrist. Whereas a 41mm Code wears really well on my wrist. Don’t be a slave to numbers. Even dial colour makes a big difference. My silver dial 15450 wears larger than my blue dial.

Fourth, not all occasions and personal styles are equal. My 15450s are a perfect fit for me for smart wear, whereas the size of my 15300 suits a more casual look. My 42mm Offshores are clearly too big for my wrist, but I see them as fun watches and i love them so much I don’t care how they look on me. And hey, I wear s muscle vest in the garden and on the beach, so everything has a place. And of course our styles are different. Some guys are cool enough to pull off a watch that is too large for them, but most of us are not!

Fifth, when people ask if a watch is too big for them, they know the answer, or they wouldn’t be asking! They just don’t want to accept the answer. Again, get over the stigma. How come we see loads of posts asking if a 15450 is too small for someone with a 6.5” wrist, but never see posts asking if a 15202 is too small for an 8.5” wrist?! And how come folk advise the 6.5” wrists to get a 15500 instead of the 15450, but don’t tell the 8.5” wrists to forget Royal Oak because they don’t make them big enough?? Because it’s about stigma of numbers!

I agree.....
Bowtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 02:54 AM   #47
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:

First off, your entire post was great. But this part above to me was the most accurate. I always chuckle when I see the “is this too big on me” posts. Maybe I’ll write a bot that just automatically replies to those posts with “yes”...because the person always already knows the answer.

Here is the fact for us small wrist guys...Anything above 40mm is probably “too big” if you want to just state the facts. But that doesn’t mean we can’t rock a 41mm or 42mm. (I do think 44mm is bordering on the insane, though, but I digress...)

There are SO many factors that make it wearable or not wearable. And that’s what matters - Can you wear it and are YOU happy. A big part is your personal attraction to the watch. For example, going strictly on size, a 15450 fits me better, but my personal taste is much more in line with a 15500. So, I have a 15500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2021, 03:02 AM   #48
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Maybe I’ll write a bot that just automatically replies to those posts with “yes”...because the person always already knows the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha ha, do it!

Old 21 February 2021, 04:31 AM   #49
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
X2

Vs
Those two pics tell very different stories, which was of course your point.
Old 21 February 2021, 06:02 AM   #50
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Agree with that. Concepts often look massive but that looks great!

Edit : failed to quote correctly but was in reference to the photos from Ash

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2021, 12:44 PM   #51
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
I agree with most of the points. I would also like to add that it's also not easy to classify a wrist as small vs large based just on numbers. While it can serve as a general guide, wrist shape also plays a role in how a watch will wear. Furthermore, how your wrist is positioned (pronation vs supination) also affects the appearance of the watch. Many of us take wrist shots with the camera directly above the dial while our wrist is pronated. These photos often make watches appear bigger than they really are.

Without stating my exact wrist size, here are two 15400s I tried on...

And here is a 15202 I tried on...

My wife, who is not really a fan of oversized watches, actually hated how the 15202 looked on me, and much preferred the 15400. It does wear on the larger side for me, but I am inclined to agree with her. The 15202's case to me is not proportional to the bracelet width and in the above pic, gives the "Beetlejuice" effect (head too large for the torso).

Ultimately, one has to stand in front of a full size mirror at different distances and different angles to really judge if a given size is suitable or not. This also may take more than a few seconds too. Most importantly, how it feels on your wrist is what matters the most.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 01:32 PM   #52
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Thanks Vince I’ve always liked the Concept range, maybe one day I’ll get one. My wrist size is about 7.15 - 7.25”.

Man that thing looks good on you. I’m the same wrist size. Perhaps one day!
Old 21 February 2021, 01:34 PM   #53
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
X2

Vs

Yep! Got to look at the perspective from a mirror. Makes me understand how others see the watch on me. Most of us can pull off a larger watch. But that up close perspective from our own eye can make a watch seem too big, when it’s not.
Old 21 February 2021, 05:53 PM   #54
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wrist, 39mm & 41mm Royal Oaks through to 42mm & 44mm Offshores + a Concept.

Amazing collection
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:37 AM   #55
Ringo2014
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
I agree with most of the points. I would also like to add that it's also not easy to classify a wrist as small vs large based just on numbers. While it can serve as a general guide, wrist shape also plays a role in how a watch will wear. Furthermore, how your wrist is positioned (pronation vs supination) also affects the appearance of the watch. Many of us take wrist shots with the camera directly above the dial while our wrist is pronated. These photos often make watches appear bigger than they really are.

My wife, who is not really a fan of oversized watches, actually hated how the 15202 looked on me, and much preferred the 15400. It does wear on the larger side for me, but I am inclined to agree with her. The 15202's case to me is not proportional to the bracelet width and in the above pic, gives the "Beetlejuice" effect (head too large for the torso).

Ultimately, one has to stand in front of a full size mirror at different distances and different angles to really judge if a given size is suitable or not. This also may take more than a few seconds too. Most importantly, how it feels on your wrist is what matters the most.
+1
I agree, the 41 mm fits better than the Jumbo on you. So what is your wrist size ? I would guess 6.85 inch ?
Ringo2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 01:42 PM   #56
nokaoi1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
X2

Vs
wrist size?
nokaoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:26 PM   #57
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo2014 View Post
+1
I agree, the 41 mm fits better than the Jumbo on you. So what is your wrist size ? I would guess 6.85 inch ?
Nope, 6.3” - 6.4”. The top of my wrist is pretty flat thought. Just shows how raw numbers can be deceiving.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 09:43 PM   #58
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post

The wrist shots above the watch tray are confusing. At first, they seem like equal comparisons, but at second glance, the watches appear to be worn on different parts of your wrist? Or maybe it’s just muscle flex due to how you are holding your fist?

At any rate, I agree that the watch should be viewed from different angles, not just from eye-to-wrist. When I was deciding between the 15400 and 15202, I even had the Boutique SA take pictures of the watches on my wrist.

its a matter of personal preference on what one should buy. I love the proportions of the Jumbo, and that was my purchase choice.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 02:01 AM   #59
RiRi
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36 Mint
The beautiful thing with APs is that you can wear different sizes - I have a 25594ST (36mm) and a 2007 ROC (39mm), and they are both amazing.

I mean if Michael Jordan can rock 36mm Day-Dates, then I do not really get people who categorically say that everything below 39mm is for women ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ap moon.jpg (258.6 KB, 87 views)
RiRi is offline   Reply With Quote