The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

A Patek collector but considering now the15202st...

hi everyone... i am new to this forum... i am more on the Patek and have few watches there, including the 5711 and 5990.

i am thinking of buying the 15202st ultra thin. i have never tried an AP before, and wanted to get your opinion as you guys are the expert. is the watch worth it? and most important how do you feel about the watch?

of course, you know that I will have to pay grey as i never bought AP before.

thanks for your opinions and help!
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 04:20 PM   #2
A971
"TRF" Member

Really important to try it on.

15202 didn’t sit as well on my wrist compared to the 5711. I have a smaller wrist through.

I ended up getting the 26315 ROC instead. Love it. My first AP. And not my last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 05:00 PM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Prefer the 5711
Old 21 February 2021, 09:01 PM   #4
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

The issue with the 15202 isn't the fit but the operation. No Royal Oak looks or feels as good on the wrist as the 15202, it's beautifully made and if you like the thinness of the 5711 you will love this watch, it is so damn elegant you can't stop looking at it. The thing is, it is so true to the original that you are buying an anachronism with the almost 50 year old movement. No second hand, which you will ultimately love, no rapid date advance, which you will ultimately hate if you care about having the date set properly. You don't need a winding tool to operate the crown, but it helps, and setting the time can be challenging since the crown tends to pop back in while you're turning it.
None of these issues stop vintage watch owners from paying hundreds of thousands for Submariners and Daytonas with the very same issues, but it's nice to know what you're getting into so that you don't hate your new 15202 before you get a chance to love it.
I wouldn't trade mine for any other modern watch because it's that beautiful but it does have its peculiarities.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 12:02 AM   #5
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

I had a 5712 and a 15202 in my collection-the 5712 didn’t make the cut. The bracelet and the dial are far superior on the AP, not to mention it was the “first”. Good luck with your decision.
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 12:35 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
The issue with the 15202 isn't the fit but the operation. No Royal Oak looks or feels as good on the wrist as the 15202, it's beautifully made and if you like the thinness of the 5711 you will love this watch, it is so damn elegant you can't stop looking at it. The thing is, it is so true to the original that you are buying an anachronism with the almost 50 year old movement. No second hand, which you will ultimately love, no rapid date advance, which you will ultimately hate if you care about having the date set properly. You don't need a winding tool to operate the crown, but it helps, and setting the time can be challenging since the crown tends to pop back in while you're turning it.
None of these issues stop vintage watch owners from paying hundreds of thousands for Submariners and Daytonas with the very same issues, but it's nice to know what you're getting into so that you don't hate your new 15202 before you get a chance to love it.
I wouldn't trade mine for any other modern watch because it's that beautiful but it does have its peculiarities.
I couldn’t stand winding it tbh
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 12:54 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I have a 15202 and it is by far my favorite stainless steel watch. Beautiful, extremely comfortable, and I actually like the idea that the movement is an “anachronism” since I guess I’m old enough to be considered one as well! The absence of a second hand is a benefit to me since it bypasses my natural tendency to overcheck the timekeeping. I have found the winding not at all to be a problem as I have a little piece of surgical tubing which just fits over the crown and turning it does the job perfectly. The date set is a bit of a challenge, but not much.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 02:41 AM   #8
sameer222
"TRF" Member

Watch: PatekRolexAPLange
Do it and don't look back
sameer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 04:47 AM   #9
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Older GMTs & Subs
The dial, bracelet and overall finish is exquisite. The key consideration is an older movement that feels quirky to set time and wind, and of course an average power reserve.
Jinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 05:40 AM   #10
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet

You're going to love it.
Old 22 February 2021, 06:01 AM   #11
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’m fortunate to have owned all of the so called Trinity watches and to me AP is at the top of the tree. I’ve not tried on a 15202 but based on my experience I’d say you’ll be very impressed.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 06:09 AM   #12
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post

You're going to love it.
This pic says it all, that's the reason to own it, it's gorgeous.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 06:23 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post

You're going to love it.

That looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 07:35 PM   #14
sliq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 114270
Love the 15202st, grail watch for me, particularly the H serial ones. The blue dial on those are simply sublime!
sliq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 09:08 PM   #15
7sins
"TRF" Member

There is no substitute for a 15202 IMO. I've owned several nautilus watches and IMO the finishing on the AP bracelet is superior and the clasp is lightyears ahead of the nauitlus as well. Aesthetics are always subjective but I see the 15202 as one of the best looking watches ever made. People always complain no quick set date (buy a watch winder), no second hands blah blah blah, beauty is in simplicity and certainly the homage to the original design is unparalleled. You will have to pry my cold dead hands from my 15202, I love it so much I own two.

Short of a 5740 at 4x the cost, I would take a 15202 ANY DAY over any nauitlus and with the added benefit of saving major monies.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 04:02 AM   #16
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Can't wait to put my hand on one of those...
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote