The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2021, 08:45 AM   #61
xekret
"TRF" Member

You could have bought the Pepsi, stored it for a year (to not jeopardize your sacred AD relationship) then sold it to fund the BLNR and another piece. Tell them to call me, I'll buy the damn thing!
xekret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 08:48 AM   #62
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Yeah, have been offered a few sought-after watches I said no to because I had no love for them. (Unfortunately that salesperson doesn't work at my AD anymore. Never offered me a Daytona, though.) No big deal.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 09:05 AM   #63
brodydeal19998
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post
Why would buying the watch “jeopardize your relationship” with the AD?
I was about to ask this same question, though he did the right thing.
brodydeal19998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 09:25 AM   #64
Stoffel
Banned

If it makes you feel good for turning down $1000’s then congratulations. Personally I say never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Stoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 09:32 AM   #65
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
As the title says I got a call from my sales guy at my AD saying "we have your PEPSI GMT Master 2 ready for you"...... which shocked me because I never told him I was interested in the PEPSI....

I was in my AD about 6 months ago buying a present for my wife and told my sales guy in casual conversation that I was going to be interested in a Batman in a few years to commemorate my 20y anniversary at my job. Got about 4 years to go before I hit that goal. So I guess he takes notes and thought I said the PEPSI so 6 months go by and he calls me for the PEPSI!

I have to admit I was VERY tempted to pick it up and flip it. I have 2-3 friends who would have wanted the watch and it would have been a great way to get them one very fast. In the end though I decided not to go down this road because I want the Batman in the near future and don't want to do anything to jeopardize the relationship I have with my AD.

I gotta admit my salesman is pretty good. Almost got me to move on a $10k watch on a whim but I decided not too. Thought you guys would enjoy this story!
Wow, how do you get offered the BLRO and not the BLNR?

Good story :)
gold&black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 09:32 AM   #66
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Bravo. Way to be patient and hold out for what you really want.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 10:40 AM   #67
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold&black View Post
Wow, how do you get offered the BLRO and not the BLNR?

Good story :)

Honest mistake by my sales guy. I suspect they had the BLNR as well I just am not ready to pull the trigger.

Keep the comments coming! I love the discord!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 11:32 AM   #68
Andy C
"TRF" Member

Good man.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 11:44 AM   #69
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
I did the same on a PP Nautilus. I was on the list for a blue dial. A couple weeks later the AD asked if I wanted the white dial as he had one available. I said no oh well, lost out on a potential $50k profit and 2 1/2 years later never got the blue dial.

Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 12:37 PM   #70
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
I did the same on a PP Nautilus. I was on the list for a blue dial. A couple weeks later the AD asked if I wanted the white dial as he had one available. I said no oh well, lost out on a potential $50k profit and 2 1/2 years later never got the blue dial.

Ah that’s a kick in the nuts.
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 01:07 PM   #71
gmtln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuvna View Post
Shocked at how divided this community is on the issue.

I applaud you letting another get that call from the AD and making their day.

With the amount of hate for flippers, the comments saying you were a fool for not doing exactly that astound me.
But who's to say, the next guy on the list isn't a flipper?

Not ashamed to admit that if I were the OP, I would have bought it and sold to one of my friends at MSRP, or traded it in to a grey for the 126710BLNR.
gmtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 01:26 PM   #72
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I totally agree. As a matter of fact, I passed on a BLRO a couple of weeks ago myself. I had a different reason for passing on it than the OP, but buying whatever's available at all costs just because it's there and has a crown on the dial, and constant concerns of "investment" and "resale value" just isn't something I ever want to get into. For me, watches are an interest and a passion, and if I was to start buying things I don't want just because I'm offered them, or because some guy on social media says it's "hard to get", or because I may be able to make a few hundred in a couple of years time, then that's when the enjoyment would end for me.
That’s fair if your collection is complete or there is nothing you are looking for. Getting any watch from an AD is not guaranteed as we sit here today. Getting a BLRO is like winning a proverbial watch lottery, or at least second place behind a Daytona in the SS realm. It’s a sought after watch and if it’s not your cup of tea it can help you get anything else you want.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 05:32 PM   #73
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xekret View Post
You could have bought the Pepsi, stored it for a year (to not jeopardize your sacred AD relationship) then sold it to fund the BLNR and another piece. Tell them to call me, I'll buy the damn thing!
I’m sure you’ll get the call if your AD like you enough
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 12:27 AM   #74
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post
That’s fair if your collection is complete or there is nothing you are looking for. Getting any watch from an AD is not guaranteed as we sit here today. Getting a BLRO is like winning a proverbial watch lottery, or at least second place behind a Daytona in the SS realm. It’s a sought after watch and if it’s not your cup of tea it can help you get anything else you want.
I take your point, but there are two reasons I didn't want to go that route -

Firstly, if I wanted to flip, the AD I've used for years retains the warranty card for a year after purchase, and you also have to sign a form saying you won't sell the watch for three years, unless it's back to them (for RRP). Obviously that's not legally binding, but they will refuse to sell you any Rolex product in future if you break it. So that means I'd need to wait at least a year, and more likely three years, before moving it on and who knows what the resale market will be like in three years time. BLRO prices have waned a bit in the last couple of years (plus there are literally hundreds of them for sale out there), so once you factor in selling costs - 6.5% on Chrono24, 10%+3% PP fees on eBay, etc - plus shipping, issues with insuring it, etc, and it all becomes way too much hassle.

And secondly (and actually more importantly for me), I personally just don't want to be part of the current flipping/investment/resale train. Watches have never been about flipping or "investment" for me, so I'd rather leave the BLRO for someone who wants it.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 12:56 AM   #75
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I take your point, but there are two reasons I didn't want to go that route -

Firstly, if I wanted to flip, the AD I've used for years retains the warranty card for a year after purchase, and you also have to sign a form saying you won't sell the watch for three years, unless it's back to them (for RRP). Obviously that's not legally binding, but they will refuse to sell you any Rolex product in future if you break it. So that means I'd need to wait at least a year, and more likely three years, before moving it on and who knows what the resale market will be like in three years time. BLRO prices have waned a bit in the last couple of years (plus there are literally hundreds of them for sale out there), so once you factor in selling costs - 6.5% on Chrono24, 10%+3% PP fees on eBay, etc - plus shipping, issues with insuring it, etc, and it all becomes way too much hassle.

And secondly (and actually more importantly for me), I personally just don't want to be part of the current flipping/investment/resale train. Watches have never been about flipping or "investment" for me, so I'd rather leave the BLRO for someone who wants it.

I concur. Lot of FOMO going on out there.

124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Old 26 February 2021, 02:10 AM   #76
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
As three years ago I had the choice of signing up for Batman or Pepsi, I definitely chose Batman. Nine months later I was picking it up. To this day, it is my favorite EDC watch.

And I wish you to pick up yours much faster!
Old 26 February 2021, 02:26 AM   #77
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
As much as it's possible someone is smiling from buying this watch after you, I'm not quite sure that was the correct decision.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 04:22 AM   #78
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I decided not to go down this road because I want the Batman in the near future
Good move in my book, although many would disagree, as evidenced by a recent thread which endorsed flipping in this kind of situation.

At the last visit to my AD I was offered a BLNR, which was much nicer in person that I imagined it would be. Very tempting. But I want a BLRO and I want it through my AD. So I passed.

Pity we didn't meet in the middle!!
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 04:30 AM   #79
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
I get it, but is trying to fix the watch market more of a priority than getting your friend a watch that is unobtainable for them?
Very good point
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 12:05 PM   #80
PAULRW
"TRF" Member

That is some serious restraint. I would have had a hard time passing on a Pepsi.
PAULRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 04:31 PM   #81
Bosstime
Banned

What is the “near future” for the Batman? You still have 4 years until you make your work milestone. You could’ve also picked it up and sold it for MSRP to a friend or something
Bosstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 11:04 PM   #82
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstime View Post
What is the “near future” for the Batman? You still have 4 years until you make your work milestone. You could’ve also picked it up and sold it for MSRP to a friend or something

Guess it’s all relative. Waited 9 years between my 16570 and 116610.

Around 36 months! I’ll order it ahead of time!

124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Old 26 February 2021, 11:06 PM   #83
clickingdru
Banned

Thanks for sharing. Goodluck
clickingdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 11:19 PM   #84
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtln View Post
It wouldn't make any difference to me, and some others - thankfully. You're either gouging or doing your best to support the enthusiast community. It's not conditional - greed is greed, be it profiteering for personal gain or helping a friend jump a patient queue.

As always, it's down to the individual. Your choice, your life. Gouge if you want to.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 12:00 AM   #85
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
It wouldn't make any difference to me, and some others - thankfully. You're either gouging or doing your best to support the enthusiast community. It's not conditional - greed is greed, be it profiteering for personal gain or helping a friend jump a patient queue.

As always, it's down to the individual. Your choice, your life. Gouge if you want to.
Getting the watch for his friends wouldn't be gouging.

The bottom line is, and I mean no offense by this OP, the OP had it in his head that he wanted a Batman and thought taking the Pepsi would've put that in jeopardy and that's why he didn't get it. So in the end, it was his self interest that guided his decision, not to do good for the WIS community. I mean no offense by this, I'm just stating my read of the situation and based on the other comments therein.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 12:15 AM   #86
karteo
"TRF" Member

Although I understand the logic behind OP's decision, I wouldn't leave a certain thing for something that could happen. It could not happen as well as it could. I would grab the BLRO and trade this for the BLNR and have this in a few days on my wrist. As an owner of the previous 116710 BLNR I do love that too and I get the OP's preference but the odd thing is that in my opinion that was against his personal interest of having the watch he wants, hoping he will get it at some point in the future. Relations with the AD is a great thing but I don't think that will ruin this. It's not like the ADs are some kind of secrets agents that spy the owners. Owners change watches and preferences. There is no obligation to ask the AD if we are allowed to.

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk
karteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 01:53 AM   #87
TheGuvna
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtln View Post

Not ashamed to admit that if I were the OP, I would have bought it and sold to one of my friends at MSRP, or traded it in to a grey for the 126710BLNR.
That's not OP's concern. He did the right thing in my opinion as a watch enthusiast. He left the door open for people with limited funds like myself to buy a watch at retail that they would never be able to afford on the grey market.
Old 27 February 2021, 04:16 AM   #88
T01
"TRF" Member

Nicely done.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 09:01 AM   #89
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Keep em coming

I should add I asked my sales guy if one of my friends could step in for me and purchase it and he said absolutely not. My AD has a long list of people waiting for the watch based on purchase history and tenure as a customer. I didn't like the idea of circumventing that and buying it for someone else.

So to answer a lot of your questions - yes someone else was waiting for it.... for a while. I don't invest or flip or ever sell watches so that wasn't a concern.
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Old 27 February 2021, 09:28 AM   #90
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I should add I asked my sales guy if one of my friends could step in for me and purchase it and he said absolutely not. My AD has a long list of people waiting for the watch based on purchase history and tenure as a customer. I didn't like the idea of circumventing that and buying it for someone else.

So to answer a lot of your questions - yes someone else was waiting for it.... for a while. I don't invest or flip or ever sell watches so that wasn't a concern.

I’m just wondering why it took until post 89 for the above information to come out.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote