The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 14 February 2021, 06:13 AM   #1
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Have you seen the new PlatinumTech 70 year? (PAM01116)

Amazing! Comes with 70 year warranty! Sadly only 70 of them will be made. Love the dial.

https://www.watchtime.com/watch-to-w...mited-edition/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 06:20 AM   #2
EconTigerOrange
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 MKI
Looks amazing, especially the green dial. Why they had to ruin the case back to announce the 70 year warranty is beyond me.
EconTigerOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 06:22 AM   #3
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconTigerOrange View Post
Looks amazing, especially the green dial. Why they had to ruin the case back to announce the 70 year warranty is beyond me.
yes, the case back is unacceptable to me.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 06:27 AM   #4
Iulian.Butum
"TRF" Member

50m ????!!! Just like a Speedmaster,this is not a Panerai,this is a chunk of platinum
Iulian.Butum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 06:28 AM   #5
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Do you think that warranty thing on the back is a sticker that could be removed ... or do you think it is embedded into the sapphire caseback window?

What does "metallized" mean?
Old 14 February 2021, 06:32 AM   #6
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iulian.Butum View Post
50m ????!!! Just like a Speedmaster,this is not a Panerai,this is a chunk of platinum
I agree - there is no reason this could not be a 200m water resistant version, although as a 70 piece limited version, not sure anyone would choose a rubber strap and take this thing diving for sport.
Old 14 February 2021, 11:50 AM   #7
Konketsu
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR - JLC Duo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Do you think that warranty thing on the back is a sticker that could be removed ... or do you think it is embedded into the sapphire caseback window?

What does "metallized" mean?
I don’t think it can be easily removed, maybe if you really wanted to replace the rear sapphire window with a normal one.

According to some reviews likes this:

https://watchesbysjx.com/2021/02/pan...-pam01116.html

“Automatic with a three-day power reserve, the P.9010 is visible through the sapphire back, but only partially, because of the giant emblem on its inner surface. Created via metallic deposition, the logo includes “warranty” twice over, in case anyone forgets.”
Konketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 12:48 PM   #8
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

If the sapphire case back has a advertisement for 70 years warranty on it, it defeats the purpose of the sapphire case back. That’s a abomination of a design move and with only 50M WR, why have a cam lock crown guard??? Who would ever want to see 70 years warranty on the back of any watch at any price point. Who makes bragging about a warranty duration a design element??? This has to be a press model for reviews.
Why not permanent paint “ONE OWNER” on the windshield of the preowned S-Class.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 03:05 PM   #9
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
have any of you realized yet that their 70 year old warranty gimmick is only on their grossly overpriced references, as if they are trying to sell you an extended warranty under your nose without noticing it....
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:26 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

The case back sticker thing can easily be taken off with chemicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
...they are trying to sell you an extended warranty under your nose without noticing it....
Oh, we very much do notice the drastic price increase without added quality to the movement... that is IF you even know what the Gen 2 9010 movement really is to begin with(!). It could be a nice hi-tech movement for all we know. Anyone here have detailed info and pics / video of the ~6 months old Gen 2 9010 movement inside the 1313, 1117, 1118, 1119, or this new model?

After many inquiries by TRF'ers, Paneristi, many members of the press, etc, has anyone received a detailed answer from Panerai about the Gen 2 9010 movement inside these new watches? Anyone? Usually companies are very proud of their new movements, so it begs the questions what is Paneri not disclosing details. It could be tweak part (bravo!), or another Panerai Brooklyn Bridge incident. No one knows for sure, yet if you have a 1313 sans hacking seconds you should take it to a watchmaker and have the back taken off to see what's inside imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:00 AM   #11
emtee
"TRF" Member

Looks gorgeous from the front, shame about that tacky thing on the case back!
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 03:14 AM   #12
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I think it's an amazing watch, platinum, green dial, blue accents, 44mm, only 70 ever to be made.

It's the modern day 737, but will be so much harder to source on the used market, and the 737 is nearly impossible to find, and 200 of those were made, most now sat in permanent collections.

I've reached out to my Panerai AD and have told him I want the 1116, badly! I'll keep you all informed.
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 04:50 AM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince KSA View Post
I think it's an amazing watch, platinum, green dial, blue accents, 44mm, only 70 ever to be made.

It's the modern day 737, but will be so much harder to source on the used market, and the 737 is nearly impossible to find, and 200 of those were made, most now sat in permanent collections.

I've reached out to my Panerai AD and have told him I want the 1116, badly! I'll keep you all informed.
Nice! Hope it works out for you.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 05:22 AM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Caseback is horrendous (and deal killer) but everything else I love. I wouldn’t take a platinum leather strap watch into the pool so that doesn’t even bother me
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 10:17 AM   #15
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Blue hands should’ve been yellow gold in my opinion. And the 70 years warranty logo in the back is hideous... the green dial is nice though! What’s the msrp?
Old 15 February 2021, 11:21 AM   #16
Trog
Banned

Does tampering with the "70-Years Warranty" sticker void the warranty?
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 11:24 AM   #17
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 04:49 PM   #18
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
Blue hands should’ve been yellow gold in my opinion. And the 70 years warranty logo in the back is hideous... the green dial is nice though! What’s the msrp?
$36,900 retail
Old 15 February 2021, 04:50 PM   #19
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

IMO, well worth retail for sure.
Old 15 February 2021, 11:52 PM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
IMO, well worth retail for sure.
When is yours arriving? Look fwd to wrist pics. Are you leaving the back sticker on, or removing it?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 25 February 2021, 04:55 PM   #21
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Nice! Hope it works out for you.

Thanks Cru, I will keep you all informed, apparently I'm top of the list if a single model comes into Saudi Arabia - my AD is pulling out all the stops and has spoken to the Middle East CEO based in Dubai....fingers crossed.
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 05:01 PM   #22
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Very nice and well priced for Pt.

I do like the blue surrounds on the gold hands.

Unfortunately the 70 year warranty would be wasted on me.

It’d be happy with a guaranteed 8.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 12:50 AM   #23
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
When PAMs first came out, the biggest allure was the very limited quantities so not surprised by that. I could do without the case back marking but what a beautiful watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 07:00 PM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Unfortunately the 70 year warranty would be wasted on me.
i'm sure Panerai is making the 70-year warranty transferrable to any and all new owners, just as they do with 8-year warranty, so when you sell it in a few months or years, it still has plenty of warranty to the new owner(s). So there is value imho in Panerai 70-year transferrable global warranty.

PS: At least i think it is a global transferrable warranty for the added cost of these 70-year timepieces.

Old 27 February 2021, 01:06 AM   #25
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Regardless of actual dive usage, I would think 300m or even 100m WR provides a more robust system, which would be beneficial for a company offering a 70 year warranty.
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 02:04 AM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Servicing a watch is not expensive, especially with these simpler movements. In the grand scheme of ownership it’s a non-issue so focusing on extended warrantees and not on the actual product itself is a misdirection. This is like Bentley touting lifetime free wiper blade replacement as the main focal point of purchase. (then painting it on the back window)

50m WR with a crown cam lock is a submarine with screen doors.

The beauty and scorn of Panerai is they are all over the map with strokes of genius and idiocy as if they are bipolar.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 11:25 PM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This is like Bentley touting lifetime free wiper blade replacement as the main focal point of purchase. (then painting it on the back window)
As a former Bentley driver, actually had two of them, i would never compare PAM to the lackluster reliability, high service costs, and the feeling of complete lack of care by the company to resolve widely-known defects UNDER WARRANTY. From my point of view, Bentley does not care about their customers when it comes to fixing under warranty widely-known defects and doing proper service recalls to make things right and fix their engineering flaws.

Panerai is a FAR BETTER company than Bentley in many aspects imho.

Old 1 March 2021, 10:55 AM   #28
MattyMac
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my language
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Old 30 March 2021, 05:45 AM   #29
louie
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Beast
Yeah the caseback stamp do annoy me ><

I liked the dial too, prefered this sunburst over the matt dials that looks dull to me...
Old 30 March 2021, 06:00 AM   #30
SWS65SM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
I liked the dial too, prefered this sunburst over the matt dials that looks dull to me...
Thanks for the pic louie, agree the green sunburst dial looks brilliant Def my cup of tea and hoping to see it in person some day
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote