The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 2 March 2021, 01:53 AM   #1
kevinwang1219
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko Blumo
Panerai Purchase for AD relationship?

Hi Everyone,

I am juggling on whether to buy from secondary market for a cheaper price or buy a new panerai from local AD. Local AD also sells rolex which I would like to purchase in the future but unsure if purchasing a panerai has any weight when trying to get a rolex in the future. I have been roaming around the panerai section and most people would rather go 2ndary market or purchase used.

Also, looking to buy a tudor pelagos and panderai base model. Not sure if this helps when starting a relationship to get a rolex SS model in the future (1-2 years).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
kevinwang1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 02:30 AM   #2
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Panerai Purchase for AD relationship?

Tough to say. I’ve seen others mention that buying other watch brands do not necessarily increase you chances of moving up the “list.” Personally I don’t think it will hurt.

Most comments suggest bundling with jewelry or other Rolex’s can help.

You could possibly argue that the savings from a grey Panerai and Pelagos could go towards the premium of a grey Rolex (without knowing which model)

Sent from the Waitlist at 6 different ADs
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 06:16 AM   #3
kevinwang1219
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post
Tough to say. I’ve seen others mention that buying other watch brands do not necessarily increase you chances of moving up the “list.” Personally I don’t think it will hurt.

Most comments suggest bundling with jewelry or other Rolex’s can help.

You could possibly argue that the savings from a grey Panerai and Pelagos could go towards the premium of a grey Rolex (without knowing which model)

Sent from the Waitlist at 6 different ADs
yeah that was what i was afraid of is if you buy other brands it doesn't help your cause in the rolex brand.

It seems the mark up on the SS models (116500 model) is pretty drastic so im not sure buying 2ndary market will offset that cost.
Old 2 March 2021, 07:00 AM   #4
turpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC MasterCalendar
Man.

I can’t help answer the OP’s question - but what kind of a strange, borderline abusive, relationship do we all have with Authorized Dealers for this to even be a discussion?

‘How much stuff, that I don’t necessarily want, do you think I need to buy to convince a salesperson to let me place an order for a multi-thousand dollar purchase?’

Not meaning you any disrespect, OP - this is the state of the industry right now, and it probably is what you’ll need to do if you want to get that Rolex... ...but, sheesh. It’s just wretched.
turpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 09:13 AM   #5
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
If you are actually interested in the Panerai and the Pelagos and you would be able to buy them from the same SA, or the manager him/herself if possible, honestly, I don't think it would harm. Rather the opposite.

My own experience: I have the privilege of living in an area with access to several Rolex ADs. I chose the one that I liked best and have truly enjoyed going systematically to my AD of choice, which carries many brands other than Rolex, for several years. When visiting the AD I always deal with the same person. He knows I don't shop around: I come to him whenever I have the itch for a new watch (not necessarily Rolex), a new strap for the Panerai, heck, or even a new fountain pen or simply in need for inspiration to indulge myself or buy a gift for my family. We know each other by now, enjoy discussing watches and life, he entices me from time to time bringing from the vault some interesting pieces (even out my budget) to admire... It's a great relationship, frankly, one that I treasure because it feels authentic and enjoyable. A commercial relationship can be based on mutual trust too. I listen to his advice, decide what I want to do in the end and he tells me what he can do. Straight. No nonsense. And he delivers. Could I get a daytona brought out of the vault? Probably not, but I am not interested at all in one either, so...

I personally do not enjoy "the chase". Honestly, I have no time for that. I very much rather prefer having a long-standing relationship with one serious and professional AD and let them take care of me... Or tell me straight if they won't be able to in a reasonable timeframe.

True, I have the advantage of not seeking a Rolex-only collection. But if you're interested in Panerai and Tudor I'd say you do not seek that either.
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 09:33 AM   #6
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
What model rolex are you chasing?
If its one of the Super Hype pieces (Skydweller, Batman, Pepsi, Daytona ect) I doubt it'd do much good in the short term unless you plan on purchasing a lot more pieces from them prior to picking up the Rolex.

That having been said, if you're after a Sub of Ex2 it might help show you're not a flipper, especially if you dont try to screw them down for a discount on the Panerai

As other have said, though, by the time you factor in the money you would save going preowned on the PAM, you might find that saving almost counters the Grey Market premium on the Rolex you're chasing
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 12:56 AM   #7
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Haven’t purchased any Rolex since this hype-salesman smooching-imaginary list thing started.

But meantime I’ve had bought a Panerai, couple of Breitlings, couple of Montblancs and tons of Seikos and my creds with these AD salesmen haven’t changed a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:24 AM   #8
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

I think answer depends on the AD. It’s probably not a big enough needle mover to get you a hot Rolex, but it might help, and it certainly puts you on their radar.

I’d just be as upfront and honest with the AD about your plans, without any expectations, and see what they say.
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 05:23 AM   #9
kevinwang1219
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
What model rolex are you chasing?
If its one of the Super Hype pieces (Skydweller, Batman, Pepsi, Daytona ect) I doubt it'd do much good in the short term unless you plan on purchasing a lot more pieces from them prior to picking up the Rolex.

That having been said, if you're after a Sub of Ex2 it might help show you're not a flipper, especially if you dont try to screw them down for a discount on the Panerai

As other have said, though, by the time you factor in the money you would save going preowned on the PAM, you might find that saving almost counters the Grey Market premium on the Rolex you're chasing
I want get a sub. Nothing crazy but i do want to get a daytona in the future (116500).
Old 3 March 2021, 05:44 AM   #10
Aquinas
"TRF" Member

Why not try the PAM at the AD and say that you really like it, but will only take it together with a Sub, or you’ll get both gray? You’ll hear the reverse often enough.
Aquinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 03:20 AM   #11
kevinwang1219
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinas View Post
Why not try the PAM at the AD and say that you really like it, but will only take it together with a Sub, or you’ll get both gray? You’ll hear the reverse often enough.

Is that a good way to go about it? I'm sure if I tell them that they would probably tell me take a hike or have me pay the PAM at MSRP.

I'm not sure threatening the AD to go gray would be the best move but you guys are more experienced than me.
Old 4 March 2021, 03:43 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometerman View Post
I think answer depends on the AD. It’s probably not a big enough needle mover to get you a hot Rolex, but it might help, and it certainly puts you on their radar.

I’d just be as upfront and honest with the AD about your plans, without any expectations, and see what they say.

Everyone is different but I think this advice for me is perfect. I’d be upfront about future wants and clear that your looking to establish a relationship and then go with your gut feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 06:05 AM   #13
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post
Is that a good way to go about it? I'm sure if I tell them that they would probably tell me take a hike or have me pay the PAM at MSRP.

I'm not sure threatening the AD to go gray would be the best move but you guys are more experienced than me.
I would NOT do that. Trying to muscle the AD now, are we? I concur with kilometer: be upfront. State your I interest in the following pieces and that you hope to be able to get them from him over time.

I really do not understand why some insist in making it sound soooo complicated to get a sub. Be honest and authentic. People appreciate that. I definitively do not react well when I notice someone is trying to play me...
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 10:19 AM   #14
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post
I want get a sub. Nothing crazy but i do want to get a daytona in the future (116500).
It'll take A LOT more than a PAM and a Sub to get you on the Daytona list, I reckon

In 2019 a friend of mine walked into an Mid West AD and straight out asked what it would take to make a Pepsi "appear"
The response from the AD was: Day Dates (plural), with diamonds...
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote