The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 February 2021, 04:12 AM   #1
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7 AP - UK 15500 purchase

Hi all,

After owning 3 ROO's (RB II/Steel Rubber Clad and Safari -sorry, I forget the references and they are all gone now!) I'm now on the hunt for my first Royal Oak 15500.

Since Spring 2019 I have had my name down in the UK for a Blue dial 15500 and it now seems after that wait I "might" (and we all know how inportant it is stress the "might" here!) see my new watch later this year.

However when speaking to my contact at Harrods this week he has suggested that if I switched into another dial colour I'd see it a lot sooner. So after talking to a fellow uk friend and member here ("Vivalas"/Stephen ) I'm weighing up what to do now.

It is suggested that if I want a Black or Silver dial I would get a new 15500 in, potentially, the next 1-2 months which was also confirmed by Vanessa at AP House today.

A Grey dial would be a little longer ("by the Summer, at worst") and the Blue "later this year" - all from Harrods and confirmed as realistic by AP House who can also "see" my registered order and contact with Harrods over the last 2 years.

So my thinking was as follows and I'd welcome views/feedback here.

1. Wait for the Blue dial and be done with it.

2. Take a Silver dial now (I'm not really fussed by the Black - sorry owners, it is lovely but I have a lot of black dial watches) and by doing so it will help to re-establish my AP buying history but in the UK as my ROO's were overseas or used Dealer purchases. Would then possibly add my name for a 15202 Jumbo to cover off the iconic Blue dial and accept that would be a decent wait for that piece and I'm fine to do that.

3. Take the Grey dial in short time frame (before the Blue for sure) and still have the same possible in-roads to a 15202 in time/extending UK relationships. Thing is, the Grey appears to look very different in every picture I see and the Boutique warned me it was quite "tonal" but AP House were full of praise for it.......but I'm not risking a £21k purchase and getting the dial "wrong" to just get one on my wrist and sooner than later!

To be fair neither Harrods or AP were pressing me for an answer here but I know I will be happy with one 15500 so not really going to have, for example, a Sliver and Blue in my collection......whereas I would be delighted with a Blue dial 15202 alongside a Silver or Grey dial 15500.

Welcome to hear ideas!

Thank you.

p.s. A new Chrono was suggested too but availability there seems a little better/would be this year (except, you guessed it.....Blue with Silver sub dials)
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 04:20 AM   #2
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Just so you know, AP House London control everything UK wise, they allocate everything and know where every is going, where it gone and where it’s still sitting.

Also, Harrods is AP’s own outlet and Alex runs it. To a person the whole AP team, where ever they are located, are exceptional.

As to your questions...

If you’ll get a blue model this year then why not wait?

As to 15202, forget it. No chance. So don’t settle for a grey dial, thinking that you’ll have a blue 15202 later on.

To be honest, there are no wrong decisions, just decisions.

Enjoy the thrill of the chase and the mental anguish of ‘choosing’, it’s half the fun.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 05:10 AM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I really like blue dialled watches and I’m hoping to have a blue 15500 by the summer, the other colour dial that I really like is the grey. In truth all the dial colours are desirable so go for whichever you like the best. I think if you can get a blue dial this year then I’d go for that personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 05:17 AM   #4
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
AP - UK 15500 purchase

I have a blue dial 15450, silver dial 15450, and a black dial 15300.

The blue dial is magnificent, and looks great with a blue suit (my suit colour of choice).

The silver dial really pops, and offers a very different look. It turns the watch into more of a smart watch than a casual watch, so not really my taste. Along with the eye-catching bracelet, it’s a bit much for me, but my wife adores it.

The black dial is great, but it’s sunburst on the 15300, not sure about the 15500.

Out of the choices you give, I’d go grey dial in short term, which is fabulous.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 05:19 AM   #5
supernova
"TRF" Member

If blue is what you want then wait for blue. You seem to have a good relationship with AP so would trust their timeframes and they are generally conservative with the hard pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 05:34 AM   #6
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Hold tight for the blue. You've been waiting since the spring of 19' and they're saying it'll happen this year... wait IMO
Old 24 February 2021, 05:36 AM   #7
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

I'd wait for the blue. Back when I got my 15400 black dial I had an opportunity to get a blue for a little more money but went with the black, love my 15400 black but if I could turn back time......

P.s. You mentioned you had a rubberclad, why did you get rid of it, I'm planning this as my next AP.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 06:47 AM   #8
Jp28
"TRF" Member

If blue is what you want (which it seems) then wait.
Always better to invest a little bit more (time/money/whatever) to get what you really want.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 07:03 AM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

AP - UK 15500 purchase

To Minimalist. Although your question was not directed towards me I can give you my reasons for selling the rubber clad that I owned. I had the rose gold version which I loved at first but later became very conscious of when wearing it however the main problem for me with the rubber clad is in fact the bezel. As it’s made from rubber it is relatively easy to damage (tear or take a chunk out of) but even if you’re very careful, as I was, you can’t really stop the rubber from losing its sharp edges and going shiny, once this happens the watch looks tired, the good news is that AP change the bezel for a reduced charge. I don’t know the cost now but I had the bezel changed on my watch just before I sold it 4.5 years ago and at the time it cost £600. The bezel looked good on mine for around 2 years and then downhill until I changed it after 4 years by which time I didn’t wear it anymore and I’d decided to sell it.

Having said the above, the rubber clad is still a great watch. In fact it’s a classic Offshore. Someone on this forum posted a photo of a RG rubber clad the other day and it looked really good.

Old 24 February 2021, 07:30 AM   #10
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Number 1 and wait for it

Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 10:01 AM   #11
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Blue is the most gorgeous dial, go for the first choice, just wait a little longer.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 10:27 AM   #12
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchristic View Post
Number 1 and wait for it

Great pic!
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 03:24 AM   #13
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
That really is a great pic!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 04:24 AM   #14
GW44
"TRF" Member

Ok, decision made.

Will be waiting for the Blue.....but looking at the chrono too.....
Old 25 February 2021, 04:27 AM   #15
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
To Minimalist. Although your question was not directed towards me I can give you my reasons for selling the rubber clad that I owned. I had the rose gold version which I loved at first but later became very conscious of when wearing it however the main problem for me with the rubber clad is in fact the bezel. As it’s made from rubber it is relatively easy to damage (tear or take a chunk out of) but even if you’re very careful, as I was, you can’t really stop the rubber from losing its sharp edges and going shiny, once this happens the watch looks tired, the good news is that AP change the bezel for a reduced charge. I don’t know the cost now but I had the bezel changed on my watch just before I sold it 4.5 years ago and at the time it cost £600. The bezel looked good on mine for around 2 years and then downhill until I changed it after 4 years by which time I didn’t wear it anymore and I’d decided to sell it.

Having said the above, the rubber clad is still a great watch. In fact it’s a classic Offshore. Someone on this forum posted a photo of a RG rubber clad the other day and it looked really good.

Pretty much my own answer Ash

Had the steel rubber clad after missing a Rose Gold one on holiday that I should have bought......and yes, the bezel was an utter PITA to keep well.

Did love my AP Safari but it was woefully unreliable so had to let it go.
Old 26 February 2021, 01:27 AM   #16
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
I'd wait for the blue. Back when I got my 15400 black dial I had an opportunity to get a blue for a little more money but went with the black, love my 15400 black but if I could turn back time......

P.s. You mentioned you had a rubberclad, why did you get rid of it, I'm planning this as my next AP.
As per the post from Ash the Rubber bezel is just not a great idea and it's almost impossible to not ruin it in use.

If I was looking at an entry point AP ROO I'd be looking at a Diver. In fact I am on the look out for one at the moment!

Loved my AP Safari (until it stopped ticking )

Old 26 February 2021, 01:57 AM   #17
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I'd hang in there for the blue - time will fly by
Old 26 February 2021, 02:28 AM   #18
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
As per the post from Ash the Rubber bezel is just not a great idea and it's almost impossible to not ruin it in use.

If I was looking at an entry point AP ROO I'd be looking at a Diver. In fact I am on the look out for one at the moment!

Loved my AP Safari (until it stopped ticking )

Thanks for the insights. I think I will have to rethink my choice and probably just go with a ceramic ROO. It wasn't as an entry level AP but more just for the love of the aesthetics of the piece. I also like the diver but as I have a 15400 I think I'd rather go for one with ceramic bezel than steel again.

Anyway best of luck with the wait on the blue, hopefully this year you'll have one on your wrist!
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 04:38 AM   #19
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I'd hang in there for the blue - time will fly by

Yes, I certainly hope so! Have plenty of watches here already and more inbound so the time will pass soon...

Bound to be a price increase the day before too

(added a 26331 ST to the "wish list"/register of interest today as well)
Old 26 February 2021, 04:40 AM   #20
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Thanks for the insights. I think I will have to rethink my choice and probably just go with a ceramic ROO. It wasn't as an entry level AP but more just for the love of the aesthetics of the piece. I also like the diver but as I have a 15400 I think I'd rather go for one with ceramic bezel than steel again.

Anyway best of luck with the wait on the blue, hopefully this year you'll have one on your wrist!
Thanks mate.

Cannot go wrong with a ceramic ROO but at 44mm and with wider pushers they do wear rather large on the wrist.....whereas the older non-ceramics (like the Safari for example) at 42mm wear for me (7.25" wrist) just right I feel.

Let us know what you go for/get?

Thank you for the kind words on the Blue 15500 purchase too.
Old 26 February 2021, 07:29 AM   #21
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Also based on my conversations with US AP boutique, if you get a 15500 (doesn't matter what color dial), you're not going to get 15202 any time soon due to demand and AP wanting to offer/please other clients. At least this is true for average client. Obviously if you are a VVIP+ client, that changes the conversation.

Now I don't know how true this is (since I don't have either of those yet), but it did come from an AP boutique manager who is involved with allocations.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 05:22 AM   #22
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Also based on my conversations with US AP boutique, if you get a 15500 (doesn't matter what color dial), you're not going to get 15202 any time soon due to demand and AP wanting to offer/please other clients. At least this is true for average client. Obviously if you are a VVIP+ client, that changes the conversation.

Now I don't know how true this is (since I don't have either of those yet), but it did come from an AP boutique manager who is involved with allocations.
I really don’t mind waiting for a 15202 and am not in a hurry at all and have numerous other watches (Rolex/AP etc) on order over the next 1-2 years or so.

I’m not a VIP customer at all but over here in the UK I’m led to believe AP are not fixated on that market and happy serve genuine watch fans/collectors.

Time will tell.
Old 28 February 2021, 05:38 AM   #23
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really don’t mind waiting for a 15202 and am not in a hurry at all and have numerous other watches (Rolex/AP etc) on order over the next 1-2 years or so.

I’m not a VIP customer at all but over here in the UK I’m led to believe AP are not fixated on that market and happy serve genuine watch fans/collectors.

Time will tell.
Unfortunately the 15202 is so over hyped that the chances of getting one are remote, no matter what your status. AP try to play fair and ensure that not everything goes to their super VIP’s, but, they still operate a ‘waiting list’ of sorts, and that list runs years deep for the 15202.

If you factor in that next year is the 50th anniversary of the Royal Oak, then it’s likely that the 15202 will be retired and/or replaced. Whatever happens it won’t help in the supply chain.

So never give up hope, but temper that hope with a good dose of realistic expectation.
Old 28 February 2021, 06:07 AM   #24
Xerxes77
Banned

Wait...
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 05:39 AM   #25
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Unfortunately the 15202 is so over hyped that the chances of getting one are remote, no matter what your status. AP try to play fair and ensure that not everything goes to their super VIP’s, but, they still operate a ‘waiting list’ of sorts, and that list runs years deep for the 15202.

If you factor in that next year is the 50th anniversary of the Royal Oak, then it’s likely that the 15202 will be retired and/or replaced. Whatever happens it won’t help in the supply chain.

So never give up hope, but temper that hope with a good dose of realistic expectation.

Thanks for insight Gary.

I’m pretty relaxed on the 15202 and whether I get one or not.....or if it’s updated/discontinued next year too. What will be, will be.

Hoping to have 2-3 new AP’s in my watch box by the year end and as we all know these days it pays to play the long game.
Old 4 March 2021, 05:49 AM   #26
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for insight Gary.

I’m pretty relaxed on the 15202 and whether I get one or not.....or if it’s updated/discontinued next year too. What will be, will be.

Hoping to have 2-3 new AP’s in my watch box by the year end and as we all know these days it pays to play the long game.
I’ve been wrong about a lot of things lately...

But my life motto has been “never in doubt, often in error”, so no need to change that now.

2-3 new toys this year will soften the blow if you aren’t able to get a 15202 though.
Old 7 May 2021, 06:30 AM   #27
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Any update on your watches thanks
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 07:25 AM   #28
AshAP
"TRF" Member

On the 15500 my favourite dials are silver, grey & blue. It’s also great to get it from Harrods as the points on your loyalty card will be worth quite a significant amount. My friend paid for a 15407 in Harrods and got £1500 on his loyalty card.

Old 7 May 2021, 07:31 AM   #29
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchristic View Post
Number 1 and wait for it

WOW!

Old 7 May 2021, 06:56 PM   #30
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
On the 15500 my favourite dials are silver, grey & blue. It’s also great to get it from Harrods as the points on your loyalty card will be worth quite a significant amount. My friend paid for a 15407 in Harrods and got £1500 on his loyalty card.

Didn’t even know Harrods had a loyalty card scheme - I am clearly not a Harrods customer 🤣
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote