The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2021, 09:19 PM   #61
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I'm tending to go with the old Harley line about if you have to explain they wouldn't understand. I'm wearing mine today and I'd never planned on getting one but I did anyway. I almost traded it a couple of weeks back but decided against it as I'd never get another one. Mines currently on a strap.

No offense but you have to get that black strap off the holy grail of watches, YUCK. THe watch is silver, brown and blue. Do you also wear plaid with stripes
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 09:27 PM   #62
challer
"TRF" Member

It’s the only Daytona I would consider buying
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 09:42 PM   #63
HarisGR
"TRF" Member

As happiness is a skill, I mostly like watches or cars or boats that I can realistically reach. So, I look to the Platona like seeing the Mona-Lisa, as a piece of art. I recognize her value, I respect even the hype, but I am more than happy with my current collection. Is not about having what you love but loving what you have.
Closing, she is an incredibly beautiful watch but my self protection mechanism doesn't allow me to like her 😉
HarisGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 09:45 PM   #64
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
Aesthetically speaking this is one of the weaker Daytonas.

The end links pop out the case and isn't nicely recessed, looks a bit cheap looking. The brown bezel instead of black is meh -- doesn't look as sharp. And the blue dial isn't really great looking in most lighting, it seems a bit washed out and muted. The weakest blue shade rolex has ever made.

Weight wise, a full platinum watch is a hindrance. The platinum makes the watch heavy to wear for hours at a time and gets a bit annoying -- from multiple user reviews I have found.

I don't think it's a great piece IMO. Aesthetically the 116500 white and all the Oysterflex beat it out and the actual material used is a negative if anything.

Yet it seems to be the pinnacle of Rolex apparently, but I don't see it. Even if it was the same price as the 116500 I'd take the white 116500 every single time.
Choice is a wonderful thing
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 10:08 PM   #65
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarisGR View Post
As happiness is a skill, I mostly like watches or cars or boats that I can realistically reach. So, I look to the Platona like seeing the Mona-Lisa, as a piece of art. I recognize her value, I respect even the hype, but I am more than happy with my current collection. Is not about having what you love but loving what you have.
Closing, she is an incredibly beautiful watch but my self protection mechanism doesn't allow me to like her 😉
Wise words!!!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 10:11 PM   #66
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I love the unique colors it uses with the blue/brown look. If not for that I would probably just go with SS. But that ice blue is stunning IMO
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 10:12 PM   #67
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCircle View Post
It’s the most beautiful Daytona because mighty Rolex has decided it is !
And if statistics determined during final development phase the majority of designers thought introducing a rather funky brown overcooked brown bezel was indeed not the best idea the final design may could have looked something like this example or even on an brown OF strap and people all would have wanted that! Because again, Rolex decides what we think it should be best.
But then 60-70 K list for a standard PT chronograph watch on a strap is a litte hard to justify for maximum margin without having Patek logo on the facade of the buildings in Geneva.
All the numerous PT daydate references with iceblue dials never ever needed brown bezels to look outstanding....for a reason i guess.

Um, the Platona was the first Daytona with a ceramic bezel and that helped to add to its attractiveness upon initial release. What is that a photo of BTW? It looks like someone added a Pt blue dial to a WG Daytona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
No offense but you have to get that black strap off the holy grail of watches, YUCK. THe watch is silver, brown and blue. Do you also wear plaid with stripes
Feel free to wear yours as you wish. For me it's comfortable and get worn. Show me how you wear yours and then make critical comments. Ie., Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 10:15 PM   #68
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
No worries. Just don't look at it or sell 2 cars to buy it and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 10:27 PM   #69
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Um, the Platona was the first Daytona with a ceramic bezel and that helped to add to its attractiveness upon initial release. What is that a photo of BTW? It looks like someone added a Pt blue dial to a WG Daytona.

Feel free to wear yours as you wish. For me it's comfortable and get worn. Show me how you wear yours and then make critical comments. Ie., Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins!!
Yeah choices I guess and too each his own. I where all my Rolex's on the oyster bracelet as it is my favorite. However if I were to ever put on a Rubber strap it would sure match the watch. Sorry but you made an $80K watch look like a misfit in Santa's misfit toy bin. Just my opinion of course which as I checked is still allowed. Albeit soon here in the states it may not be.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 11:25 PM   #70
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Yeah choices I guess and too each his own. I where all my Rolex's on the oyster bracelet as it is my favorite. However if I were to ever put on a Rubber strap it would sure match the watch. Sorry but you made an $80K watch look like a misfit in Santa's misfit toy bin. Just my opinion of course which as I checked is still allowed. Albeit soon here in the states it may not be.
So your photo of your Platona?

Stop with the politics. To be clear, I didn't challenge your ability to post your opinion I just called you on it; seems like your objecting to my not agreeing with you and challenging my right to disagree. You're opinion is yours as is my right to critique it. Also calling you on your insulting approach which isn't opinion but more like attack! Pretty typical of briars.

Old 26 February 2021, 11:45 PM   #71
Panader
"TRF" Member

A few years ago wearing a platinum Daytona showed that you were a rich guy with a watch collection. When I would see one at a party I would know that that guy had a collection.

Today I am not sure that it means the same thing. I think there are clearly better watches to be had at todays price. I can see why long term owners are considering moving on to something else.
Panader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 11:48 PM   #72
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Oddly, I like the features you don't like....it happens.
Pretty much this

OP, to each their own and clearly the Pt Daytona is not for you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 11:53 PM   #73
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I agree with the OP on many points. I find the light blue / brown combination quite questionable.
To each their own; it simply ain’t to my taste.

Old 27 February 2021, 01:08 AM   #74
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Um, the Platona was the first Daytona with a ceramic bezel and that helped to add to its attractiveness upon initial release.

No it was not, that was the 116515LN Everose on alligator in 2011

Quote:

is that a photo of BTW? It looks like someone added a Pt blue dial to a WG Daytona.
Yes, I Did
GreatCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 01:35 AM   #75
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's a good idea every single watch does not appeal to every single one of us.

Otherwise, we'd all be broke.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 02:34 AM   #76
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
When you don't get it, you don't get it. I have colleagues that don't get how I can pay over ten thousand for just "a watch" that "only" tells time.
People have some weird hobbies and things they rationalize to be worth the asking price.
People are paying $16k for a pair of Yeezy-Nikes....I don't get it.

I'll say this, I didn't think the Platona was all that until I held one in my hand. The weight and density feels incredible and the contrast between the ice blue dial and brown bezel is just another kind of beautiful. The dial alone is amazing.
The price doesn't match when you just see it sitting there....but with platinum, it's all about "PLATINUM" and what that means.....and with Rolex they add that dial color.
I definitely get it. Congrats to all who can own one.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 03:25 AM   #77
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
When you don't get it, you don't get it. I have colleagues that don't get how I can pay over ten thousand for just "a watch" that "only" tells time.
People have some weird hobbies and things they rationalize to be worth the asking price.
People are paying $16k for a pair of Yeezy-Nikes....I don't get it.

I'll say this, I didn't think the Platona was all that until I held one in my hand. The weight and density feels incredible and the contrast between the ice blue dial and brown bezel is just another kind of beautiful. The dial alone is amazing.
The price doesn't match when you just see it sitting there....but with platinum, it's all about "PLATINUM" and what that means.....and with Rolex they add that dial color.
I definitely get it. Congrats to all who can own one.
Well said. Once you have it on the wrist, you know it's special.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 03:27 AM   #78
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCircle View Post
No it was not, that was the 116515LN Everose on alligator in 2011

Yes, I Did
OK, thanks for clarifying!!!

Old 27 February 2021, 03:29 AM   #79
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

To the heart of the OP post, I agree, Platona is not the best looking Daytona. I feel that goes to 116519LN. With so much money floating around, I feel some people have gravitated towards buying the most expensive non-jeweled Daytona.

Is it worth the current secondary prices? I don't think so, but is a 5711 worth it's secondary prices, I don't think so. Apples to oranges though, I'd much rather have Platona at MSRP (which is still possible) vs 5711 on secondary.

It's a fun watch to splurge on and to be grateful to own for sure -- even if not the best looking Daytona available.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 04:17 AM   #80
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Not to get completely off-topic but David SW just listed a second hand platinum Daytona for $94,000
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 04:49 AM   #81
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Another thread of people posting things they don't like about a watch.. fun. The platinum Daytona is a beautiful watch, if you like it and can afford it then you are Rolex' intended audience. Its like ppl griping that the PM pieces are overpriced, and that SS is similar for less money... you are not the intended audience. The PT Daytona is in the upper echelon of Rolex, if you love Rolex, have the funds, and it makes you happy then you buy it. Its not like water and electricity that you have to buy,
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 05:09 AM   #82
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
"one man's pleasure is another man's poison". It depends on what your passion is, when I bought my 911 some ppl could not believe how much it cost, didn't bother me one iota, and now the resale is great! I just bought this new HD, and same thing ppl cant believe a motorcycle can cost that much. LOL makes me smile when I am cruising and enjoying, life is to short and you cant take it with you....Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_228.jpeg (269.2 KB, 138 views)
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 05:15 AM   #83
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
watch me try to explain to my non-watch friends and family why my $900 Damasko is a great buy, or a $2000 oris. They look at me like i'm an alien haha.

Next try convincing them a SS submariner is worth it.

Aesthetically speaking, it is what it is. You either like it, love it, or don't. As far as value goes... there almost no reason to go down that road. this whole hobby makes no sense lol.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 05:21 AM   #84
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

When buying these luxury watches in their proper "luxury context", they make more sense than a lot of bad habits that can ruin your life with. Disposable money can get a lot of people in trouble. Be it classic guitars or old tube microphones, etc.. A appreciation of quality tends to extend to all aspects of those that recognize it and becomes a constant theme in every part of their life.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 05:28 AM   #85
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
Not to get completely off-topic but David SW just listed a second hand platinum Daytona for $94,000
DavidSw got a haul this week!

The Platona, like THREE 5711 blue dials and a RG/olive dial DD.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 07:06 AM   #86
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
DavidSw got a haul this week!

The Platona, like THREE 5711 blue dials and a RG/olive dial DD.
That's A MILLION DOLLARS of watches!!!

Current prices are crazy for many, many watches.
Old 27 February 2021, 07:34 AM   #87
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Not a huge fan of the color combination either tbh. It only appeals to be because of its hype and status. If it were ss I wouldn’t give 2 craps about it over the 500LNs

But then again I don’t start threads of models I don’t like asking ppl to justify what they like about it
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 10:15 AM   #88
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
That's A MILLION DOLLARS of watches!!!

Current prices are crazy for many, many watches.
More like $450k but still a lot
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 10:36 AM   #89
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have tried this watch on and it didn’t do much for me but I wouldn’t post a thread on a watch Forum just to complain about it.

There are too many watches in the same boat.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 10:51 AM   #90
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Each to their own, that’s why there are options.
That glacier blue dial is one of Rolex best colors IMO however.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote