The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2018, 05:22 AM   #31
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Your writeup is very interesting -- thanks for that. I remember reading your journey with the Voutilainen. What a personal watch! Sorry it didn't fit your lifestyle. I'm curious to know how the marketing of one of those goes. What you came up with is stunning! Given that and not having to wait a year or more to get in line, and then have it hand made, does that make it salable at a good price? Or is the process of helping design a Voutilainen a big part of the appeal and thus it is hard to sell one already designed for someone else's eye?

It's great to know what you love. I am not so far a "collector" although hanging around TRF certainly makes me admire more watches than I even knew existed a couple of years ago. You certainly have a thing for the "Genta look!"

Good luck with the sale and the collection!
Well we will see what propositions I get for the KV, not in any hurry to sell it, so I can wait for the good client, and yes the part of deciding the aspects of the watch is great, but not everyone can pay 100k+ for a unique piece from him, so if that person can get one for 20-30k less I think some people should be interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Always good to get people’s thoughts on their collections and the reasons for pieces being moved on. Shame about the KV!

5711, 5712 and a 5740 is a lot of Naughty - maybe too much?
Well the 5712 will be used as a daily, the 5740 for special occasions, but will be worn, clearly won't be a safe queen, and the 5711 I will wear from time to time, I will be very happy to have the 3, I mean most people collect Rolex divers which are basically the same watch with different WR and different fonts, if a sub has 4 or 5 fonts for them it is totally different, not for me, but having a time and date, time date and moon phase and PR, and a PC with moon phase makes them very different for me, same case 2 metals, and very different complications

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Interesting thoughts Arnaud. I am going through the exact same phase right now where I am not actively looking to acquire anything, and very very few pieces are catching my eyes these days (possibly only the Lange Datograph.) My purchases moving forward will be much more calculated, as for a while I was impulse buying SS Rolexes.

This came after a crazy four week period in which I picked up a FPJ CB, 5990 and 5712.

It's a good feeling to have, being able to sit back and enjoy without having my eyes on another.
A CB, 5990 and 5712 in 4 weeks is definitely a buying frenzy, had it once

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Shame to hear about the KV but I understand and it's one reason why I am in no hurry to buy a PP PCC which was my dress grail, altho maybe now it's been supplanted by the 5740.

The Zeitwerk and 5740 are watches that do tempt me at times, but after a few days the hunger goes away as you say, so it is the excitement of pursuing a new watch that I like as much as anything. Plus I'd have to sell something, my RG AP or PP to make it happen and I don't want to do that, I'm happy with where I am now and as my watches just get enough wrist time, once a week at least, I will not add any more without selling.
I have a hard time imagining you with a PP PCC buddy, you like very sporty watches same as I, I also thought that my grail was a minute repeater, but if I had the funds would I buy it? Certainly not, not sporty enough and too much of a WIS watch, even the PC on the 5740 is a little too far in complications for my non WIS brain, I am not getting it because I love the complication, will be great to have but the main reason is that I love the look, not sure there will be one day a watch which clicks so many boxes and which is clearly a grail for me, thin Nautilus design, 240, superb blue, busy and beautiful dial, nice heft from the WG, basically the perfect watch for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonzy View Post
Love your collection
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
This makes sense Arnaud. I wish I could trim to that level but I can not. One thing is for sure, with the addition of the 5740 I am done adding any more Patek watches. At that point, it will be one in, then one must go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if you wear all your watches Kevin, why would you want to trim to that level? I just aim for 6 pieces maximum as first it's better for my finances, and second even if I could get 20 I know that I will always wear the same 5-6, so don't see the interest, some people probably get their kicks out of watching their numerous watches, not me so don't see any point in getting more than I will be able to wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
It took me awhile to get to this point where I know what type of watches work for me. All part of the watch journey and I think I’m at the same point as you; slowing down with watch purchases and enjoying the current pieces. Do you have 3 or 4 PPs?
No I have only the 3 posted above, but I am aiming for the 5740, normally my AD told me that I would get one end of 2019 or 2020, so that will make 4 PP when I have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1 View Post
I thought the Vouti was for yoyr dsughter you were handung down to. I would dump the 5167R and take the bath because the loss on the KV is going to be brutal
No it was for me and I thought it would be nice to hand it down to my son, but I think it will be even better to hand him down the others and the 5740, he will probably get either the AP or one of my PP, not the 5712 or 5740 though, those he will have to wait for me to disappear
Well we will see what I can get for the KV, not in any hurry to sell it, I am not selling it because I need money, so we will see, and of course I am not going to sell it if ever I see that I am loosing too much money on it, we will see

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Could not have said it better! Best of luck with the sale Arnaud. Take the loss and move on as we all have been there.
Thanks buddy
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 05:34 AM   #32
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Yes, mine is a unique piece with engraving, of course but at the same time I don't want to have a watch which will sit in the bank and not worn, and having a more than 100k watch not being worn is impossible for me, it is a beautiful watch, but dressy watches are not for me, I like casual sporty models. Well if ever you are interested by mine let me know, they are great watches of course but not for me
The Kari cost you 100k?! Wow.. I didn’t know they are that expensive. I always thought they were max 50k or so. (silly me)
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 07:20 AM   #33
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
The Kari cost you 100k?! Wow.. I didn’t know they are that expensive. I always thought they were max 50k or so. (silly me)
It is a unique piece with officer's case back and hand engraved, so yes it is more than regular models, I think his lowest priced models are around 75k, they were at around 50k when he wasn't so famous but that was a certain time ago
Old 23 July 2018, 08:59 AM   #34
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Interesting post. I’ve tried to make sure I see a watch 4-5 times now to know I love/want it. Too often it seems I come to covet watches I see often, Silence of the Lambs style.

It’s a funny habit, because new models only come out once a year, but most people seem to want year round, so you often find yourself chasing after a watch that didn’t strike you at first.

On the other hand, I’ve found that the pieces I truly love, like the women that’ve meant anything in my life, I’ve known right away. It’s the pieces I’ve seen a bunch then bought that didn’t stay with me long.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:35 AM   #35
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post

On the other hand, I’ve found that the pieces I truly love, like the women that’ve meant anything in my life, I’ve known right away. It’s the pieces I’ve seen a bunch then bought that didn’t stay with me long.
Funny as with me I can say it's pretty much the opposite as I didn't really like the RO/ROO design at first, and really hated the Nautilus, both became my favorite watch designs, ROO's for the sport watches, I prefer much more the ROO's than the RO's, and Nautilus for the sporty pieces.

Very often when I first see a watch that I like on the spot, after a few months I realize that I am no longer attracted to them, Panerai models for example I liked the first time I saw them, after a few years I bought 3, but after 1,5 years realized I had no interest with them at all, it did a little bit the same thing with Rolex as I did get bored at some point, but now I am starting to be attracted to them again, mostly because of the new SS Pepsi, but I just want the Pepsi and I am quite certain that I will not want to buy other Rolex models, I really like the grey dial Daytona in WG on Oysterflex, even thought of getting one 10 days ago, but it's the typical example of a watch that after 5 days has not enough appeal to me to want to buy it, the Pepsi will most definitely be my only Rolex, but at least with Rolex there is one I really want, sometimes I take a look at the Panerai sub forum and not once do I think that I like one and would like to have it...
Old 23 July 2018, 12:02 PM   #36
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Finally becoming reasonable?

Sounds good! Pepsi everyone and their mother wants one! Lol

5740 looks really good. I still wonder how this watch will wear in white gold and being nautilus: delicate as hell! Also the price seems outrageous for what you are getting in particular when you see 5712 with same 240q base. You can buy a 5970G for that price! Still want one anyhow lol

Good luck with the sale of the KV! A friend of mine recently sold a unique piece he had made and ended up not being happy with KV in general.

On the Patek end I just want to add 5131s and 5711s/12s at this point! Ha

Old 23 July 2018, 01:41 PM   #37
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Gone the opposite - finding leather much cooler so 5711 and Daytona not seeing any wrist time at the moment.
I can help you! I'll help you release the burden of the 5711.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 03:29 PM   #38
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post

5740 looks really good. I still wonder how this watch will wear in white gold and being nautilus: delicate as hell! Also the price seems outrageous for what you are getting in particular when you see 5712 with same 240q base. You can buy a 5970G for that price! Still want one anyhow lol

Good luck with the sale of the KV! A friend of mine recently sold a unique piece he had made and ended up not being happy with KV in general.

Basically the 3 models that you can get by walking into any AD around the world

Of course the WG of the 5740 means it won't be used as a daily, but I have a few other watches for that, including the 5711-12, so the 5740 won't be worn as much as my other watches, but it will be worn quite often nonetheless, platinum would have been better but the price would probably have been 30-40k more, I can justify the 5740 price, but a 5740P price would have been much harder to justify for me. Funny how I talk about justifying the price on a 100k watch when 5 years ago for me you needed to be insane or filthy rich to buy any watch costing more than 15k, for me 100k is the limit, hope it stays that way as if it doesn't and I really want a watch badly I would need to sell some real estate, of course there is an exception for an eventual 5712P, which is clearly my imaginary grail watch, if ever they made one I would really need to have one, and would pay whatever the retail would be, if retail would be in reasonable limits, wouldn't pay 150k or more for one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
I can help you! I'll help you release the burden of the 5711.
Well since he has the 5711P I would be ok to buy it from him for a little more than retail, but if we are talking anywhere close to grey prices no thanks, prices are insane and around 180k from what I saw...
Old 23 July 2018, 03:46 PM   #39
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is a unique piece with officer's case back and hand engraved, so yes it is more than regular models, I think his lowest priced models are around 75k, they were at around 50k when he wasn't so famous but that was a certain time ago
Not trying to be sour but to let your Kari go at 100k price range you got really strong competitors out there.. there are lots of special n unique piece available n it’s the buyers’ market. Plus the unique engravement may not be everyone cup of tea.. seriously why don’t you keep it n make it a legacy n pass on to your children? I bet it would worth at least few times more in 20 30 years time.. for a legendary Kari unique piece. Don’t just look at the monetary value now. 100k is not a significant amount anyway n can easily earn back. But that watch is unique. Keep it in the family.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 02:36 AM   #40
SW1
Banned

Quote:
They start at CHF72k and mibe quickly up when you add enamels, platinum, extra engraving etc etc
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 06:52 AM   #41
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not trying to be sour but to let your Kari go at 100k price range you got really strong competitors out there.. there are lots of special n unique piece available n it’s the buyers’ market. Plus the unique engravement may not be everyone cup of tea.. seriously why don’t you keep it n make it a legacy n pass on to your children? I bet it would worth at least few times more in 20 30 years time.. for a legendary Kari unique piece. Don’t just look at the monetary value now. 100k is not a significant amount anyway n can easily earn back. But that watch is unique. Keep it in the family.
It's very simple, if the price I can get is too low I won't sell it, we will see how it goes
Old 24 July 2018, 10:32 AM   #42
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Your 5740 comments mimic what I am internally debating right now. I really really do like the 5740g, but when thinking about trading my blue 5711a + 3940g + cash to get it (I view the 5740 as basically the offspring of those two references, and so they seem redundant in a collection), second thoughts enter my mind. I go back and forth constantly
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 10:56 AM   #43
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I am constantly questioning myself whether my current collection is a phase or something more permanent. I don't have route map but I seldom buy anything on impulse too. The only constant is that I have always liked the 3700/5711 since my childhood and that is the only thing that stuck until now.

Maybe I will just keep adding Nautilus to be safe

The 5740 is gorgeous and I also hope to own it one day
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 11:17 AM   #44
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

Thanks Ben, yes I have the Voutilainen, but it is on sale as I don't wear it often.

20 watches is great if you are able to rotate them, I know that I am incapable of rotating more than 6 watches, when I had 10 I was only wearing 5-6 and the others were in the safe and never worn, since I don't see the interest of having unworn watches I sold them, and I don't want to make the same mistakes, it will be perfect to rotate the 5 high end pieces and to use the Rolex as a beater and vacation watch, more than that is stupid for me, but I understand people who love having many watches even if they don't wear some, for me a watch is meant to be worn, it's great when you are capable of rotating 20 like you, but I am incapable of doing that
To be honest I struggle to rotate 20+ watches in my collection and that's excluding some of the lower value ones that I often impulse buy. That's why the need for downsizing.

I have a WIS friend that has a similarly large collection like me ( maybe he got more ) and his solution is to rotate 3 watches a day, twice during working hours and one for the evening!

Yet even more crazy, I know of someone who has 400+ watches in his collection and 99% of them are stashed in a bank vault or safe box and he barely wears any of them for more than once or twice a year and yet somehow it makes him very happy to own so many. Go figure.
Old 24 July 2018, 02:50 PM   #45
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
To be honest I struggle to rotate 20+ watches in my collection and that's excluding some of the lower value ones that I often impulse buy. That's why the need for downsizing.

I have a WIS friend that has a similarly large collection like me ( maybe he got more ) and his solution is to rotate 3 watches a day, twice during working hours and one for the evening!

Yet even more crazy, I know of someone who has 400+ watches in his collection and 99% of them are stashed in a bank vault or safe box and he barely wears any of them for more than once or twice a year and yet somehow it makes him very happy to own so many. Go figure.

There are vintage collectors with 1000s! And most super sophisticated collectors either don’t wear a watch or choose to wear a cheap but fun watch! Lol

Old 24 July 2018, 02:58 PM   #46
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Your 5740 comments mimic what I am internally debating right now. I really really do like the 5740g, but when thinking about trading my blue 5711a + 3940g + cash to get it (I view the 5740 as basically the offspring of those two references, and so they seem redundant in a collection), second thoughts enter my mind. I go back and forth constantly

No way! 5711 and 3940 better pair imho

Old 24 July 2018, 04:28 PM   #47
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
i think you should keep the KV, where it on a rubber or rubberized leather strap. I think you should let go of 2 of the 3 PPs....which ever you like most keep. for me it would be the 5712. You dont need the 5167R and the 5711...the all seem too similar. That would free up almost 80/100k right there. that you could have 1 PP, 1AP, 1KV....later on if the 5740 becomes available grab it and the pepsi. that way our collection is more diversified. Every year rolex and pp and ap will release new watches which will be the latest and greatest and the whole world will up for it....but sometimes you gotta ask yourself if its what you really want. instead of adding the 5740.....why not keep a 5 watch collection and add RM and pepsi. I'm saying this because i remember following all the updates of the KV journey and i think it its a truly timeless work of art. like an RW smith or George Daniels....and you might regret letting go of it.
Old 24 July 2018, 06:03 PM   #48
tom2517
"TRF" Member

I agree with many here, you will never get a fair price on the KV. In the end you will either have to keep it or take a big loss. Coming from experience with indies. Brand matters more than craftsmanship.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 08:57 PM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
i think you should keep the KV, where it on a rubber or rubberized leather strap. I think you should let go of 2 of the 3 PPs....which ever you like most keep. for me it would be the 5712. You dont need the 5167R and the 5711...the all seem too similar. That would free up almost 80/100k right there. that you could have 1 PP, 1AP, 1KV....later on if the 5740 becomes available grab it and the pepsi.
This is a good argument and one I'd be tempted to enact. We all saw his journey to get to the KV, but often happiness comes in the journey and not in the arriving and I guess in some ways Arnaud has already had a long relationship with this watch so it's a bit different to just buying one and then selling it after a few months.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 10:29 PM   #50
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a good argument and one I'd be tempted to enact. We all saw his journey to get to the KV, but often happiness comes in the journey and not in the arriving and I guess in some ways Arnaud has already had a long relationship with this watch so it's a bit different to just buying one and then selling it after a few months.
That’s a fair point. He did have a Long journey with the KV, and got the full experience. I sometimes try to tinker with my own collection and whether or not I could consolidate and combine a few pieces and trade up and etc, I then consult my wife and she reminds me that it’s not the watches, but the fact that I’m restless and maybe that I have too much time on my hands and I should not do something I would regret later, and she is mostly right. I might not where a watch in constant rotation, i’ll Strap it on a few months later, and fall in love with it all over again for the next few months. But I’m happy that I have it and the diversity. Main point. Dont Be restless but ultimately do what makes you happy.
Old 24 July 2018, 11:28 PM   #51
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah I have a hard time with that, but I guess that some people get pleasure in the fact of owning something, wether they use it or not, I don't like to have something just for the sake of owning it, once a year I go through my clothes and see which ones I don't wear and give them, same for watches, but some are happy to own a lot of things, I am happy to own nice things that I use or wear, oh well different strokes for different folks...

Quote:
There are vintage collectors with 1000s! And most super sophisticated collectors either don’t wear a watch or choose to wear a cheap but fun watch! Lol

Yes some are probably super happy to know they have all that, I cold understand if they had their collection in their home and looked at it every day, like a museum, but in the bank is something that I am clueless about, but if it makes them happy why not...

Quote:
i think you should keep the KV, where it on a rubber or rubberized leather strap. I think you should let go of 2 of the 3 PPs....which ever you like most keep. for me it would be the 5712. You dont need the 5167R and the 5711...the all seem too similar. That would free up almost 80/100k right there. that you could have 1 PP, 1AP, 1KV....later on if the 5740 becomes available grab it and the pepsi. that way our collection is more diversified. Every year rolex and pp and ap will release new watches which will be the latest and greatest and the whole world will up for it....but sometimes you gotta ask yourself if its what you really want. instead of adding the 5740.....why not keep a 5 watch collection and add RM and pepsi. I'm saying this because i remember following all the updates of the KV journey and i think it its a truly timeless work of art. like an RW smith or George Daniels....and you might regret letting go of it.
All depends on how much I can get for the KV, and I don't need to let any watch go, not doing it for money, just sold my car wash and garages last month, so not in any money need, I can get the 5740 without problem, so yes we will see if I can't get enough for the KV it will surely stay, but no envy to sell any other watch as apart the KV I wear all of them.
You know I love a few RM pieces, 035, 055 but I just can't justify the asking price, for me 80% of the price is great marketing and hype, whereas the 5740 I can justify the asking price, where RM half the price I would have the two models I said, I find them great, but not at those insane prices, but of course if one day I become much richer then I will get one, but with my actual capital putting 100k + in a RM is insane, for me they are not worth that money, I know nothing luxury is worth the price when you think about it but some are ok and some are insanely overpriced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I agree with many here, you will never get a fair price on the KV. In the end you will either have to keep it or take a big loss. Coming from experience with indies. Brand matters more than craftsmanship.
Again we will see, ready to take a loss, but not a huge bath, if that is the case it will stay end of story

Quote:
The journey was great and loved having the watch and wearing it the first 4 months, but after the honeymoon phase went back to my preference of sporty watches, it all depends what I can get for it, not in any financial difficulty, so if price is too low then it will stay, I just find it too bad that such a watch will stay in the safe, I am for letting unworn watches go better owners which will wear and love them, but if I am not happy with the price I can get then it will go in the bank and my son will get it when I am gone...
Old 25 July 2018, 12:36 AM   #52
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I tend to agree with you. I was up to 9, sold off 2 and now have 7, I still think its 1-2 too many and likely will sell again sometime soon. I found that I wasn't wearing some and those that I am not wearing from now on, I am selling. I think somewhere in the 4-6 neighborhood of watches you absolutely love is the correct number for a collection. As said above, the more you know, the less you need. I have learned that in a more complicated method but at least made a couple bucks on each one that I sold thus far.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 01:03 AM   #53
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

1000 watches! I guess the satisfaction achieved is not from wearing buy from collecting only.
Old 25 July 2018, 01:12 AM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
That’s a fair point. He did have a Long journey with the KV, and got the full experience. I sometimes try to tinker with my own collection and whether or not I could consolidate and combine a few pieces and trade up and etc, I then consult my wife and she reminds me that it’s not the watches, but the fact that I’m restless and maybe that I have too much time on my hands and I should not do something I would regret later, and she is mostly right. I might not where a watch in constant rotation, i’ll Strap it on a few months later, and fall in love with it all over again for the next few months. But I’m happy that I have it and the diversity. Main point. Dont Be restless but ultimately do what makes you happy.
Your wife is wise but I still think you should let some of those in your sig go for a PP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 01:39 AM   #55
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your wife is wise but I still think you should let some of those in your sig go for a PP.

When I can find a 5167 at list! A few things will definitely go!
Old 25 July 2018, 04:12 AM   #56
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I tend to agree with you. I was up to 9, sold off 2 and now have 7, I still think its 1-2 too many and likely will sell again sometime soon. I found that I wasn't wearing some and those that I am not wearing from now on, I am selling. I think somewhere in the 4-6 neighborhood of watches you absolutely love is the correct number for a collection. As said above, the more you know, the less you need. I have learned that in a more complicated method but at least made a couple bucks on each one that I sold thus far.
I think 6 watches you really love is a great number, at least it is perfect for me

Quote:
1000 watches! I guess the satisfaction achieved is not from wearing buy from collecting only.
Yes I guess they get satisfaction from owning them, I know I don't, I am happy by owning and wearing, it does nothing to me from having things that I don't wear, especially if the watches are in the bank, at least if you have them at home and can look at your collection when you want why not, not for me but I can understand, but just having them in the bank is not something I would be happy with...

Quote:
Yes he should definitely sell a few and get a PP

Quote:
When I can find a 5167 at list! A few things will definitely go!
Why not a 5712? You seem to like it, and with some luck might find an AD willing to sell you one, even if the wait will be very long
Old 25 July 2018, 11:17 AM   #57
pam66
"TRF" Member

i appreciate this thread a lot, i share many of the raised concerns and insecurities about watch collecting.... as a non-dress watch type, i have reduced my collection a lot, just as the OP. currently i own a 5711R, a 5780AR and a 5712A (coming in three weeks). other than patek, i have a rolex BLNR and a DD40 YG, but i see no point in getting other rolexes, except possibly a steel daytona at some point. other brands do not interest me at all.
at this point i am unsure how to continue. i have a 5320G on order for next year and a 5740 for 2020, both confirmed. the 5740 is a great looking piece - too expensive though - but probably a worse scratch magnet than the other nautilus' and definitely not a casual wearer. also, i am getting more and more unsure about the 5320G....it is a very nice watch but is it outstanding? at this point i am wondering whether it would not make more sense to cancel both orders and use the funds for a real grail piece. i am thinking of the 5270P or the 5270/1R.
at this point i do not see any other PP that interests me - except maybe the regulator 5325G.
any thoughts on this?
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 11:38 AM   #58
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Having seen all those watches in person, I’d go for one of the 5270s. Don’t talk yourself into anything at that price. The 5320g is not impressive and I got rid of my regulator quickly.
Old 25 July 2018, 12:18 PM   #59
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Having seen all those watches in person, I’d go for one of the 5270s. Don’t talk yourself into anything at that price. The 5320g is not impressive and I got rid of my regulator quickly.
thanks, this is helpful. in the end it is between 5740 and the 5270s. 5170P is possibly an outside candidate ....
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 04:27 PM   #60
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Depending on wrist size, the 5170p might be the best bet. It’s a smidge small for me but I’ve certainly been tempted. I’m not sure where the prices were lately; last I checked I think they were gettable at 72-75 if you were patient and knew people who knew people.

The nautilus dial was a bit crowded but I think works. The bracelet and clasp are amazing. I’m honestly a bit blued out so that maybe tempers my enthusiasm for the 5740 and even the 5170p. I think gun to my head I’d do a 5270r if they’re still gettable around 110. Of course, for that price you might be able to snag a 5131r....