The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 February 2020, 09:46 AM   #1
larryccf
"TRF" Member

issue with my 9411/0 ?

I've got a 1978 9411/0 that the oscillating weight or rotor makes a noise almost like it's barely rubbing the inside of the caseback. I've pulled the caseback and there's no sign of contact. I shouldn't say "noise" as much as you can feel a vibration in the case - if i hold the watch in my hand and move it in a circular motion to cause the rotor to rotate that's when i feel it in the watch.

Was going thru my folder on the watch and found my orig letter to the watchmaker i had svc this watch back in 2012 (Rolex authorized svc agent up in Canada) and i had mentioned the issue to him back then, and seeing the letter reminded me he had said it was nothing to worry about.

Has anyone every had an issue like this? It's been 8 years since he svc'd it and there hasn't been an explosion inside the case, so he was right. Heck i even called him a week or so ago about sending it for another svcing and he advised, as the watch is still keeping near 5 +/- seconds daily, to wait another 2-3 years as the oils they're using these days don't break down like the petroleum oils they used to use.

Any opinions or suggestions?
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:38 AM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

the 9411 traditionally has the 2784 movement in it.

if you are not scared of screwdrivers, worth just unscrewing the rotor and resecuring it. Then take a look at the rotor bridge and see if perhaps screws holding that down has loosened.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:52 AM   #3
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Likely the rotor pinion bearing is worn and will need replacing at next service.

If it bugs you, why not service it now? It's been 8 years, after all.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 11:29 AM   #4
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
the 9411 traditionally has the 2784 movement in it.

if you are not scared of screwdrivers, worth just unscrewing the rotor and resecuring it. Then take a look at the rotor bridge and see if perhaps screws holding that down has loosened.
was hoping someone would pop up that this was a common gripe with the 2784 - will take a look at the rotor it in the AM.

Claven2 - "Likely the rotor pinion bearing is worn and will need replacing at next service.

If it bugs you, why not service it now? It's been 8 years, after all. "

Last svc cost $880. The guy is a perfectionist though - this isn't the only vintage watch he's gotten down to 5 seconds/day, and as he said, if it's still keeping that kind of time, let go a bit more
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote